Channah&Aaron

In complete stress!! and absolutely weird!!!

37 posts in this topic

If your passport expires in September, then they will only allow you to stay until then. They will follow the validity of your passport. It's happened to me, no big deal :)

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

; My B2 is til september, but my passport is til July.. So I still can go, I just have to make sure I have to return home before my passport expires? Ofcourse I'd be returning way before it expires.. :whistle: It's so confusing, some websites says I have to re-new passport because my passport has to be valid min. 6 months before expireing date, and others websites says that i can go as long if my passport is valid during my stay.

It gives me a headache.. :unsure:

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

What is your port of entry? My fiancee was denied at O'hare, as it was determined that intended to marry a US citizen. They couldn't determine when, but denied him, just the same. He hasn't been in the country since prior to our filing :angry:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

the Immigration officer does not have to give you the full 6-month period, that is the maximum that can be granted but it may well be less than that. No rules about the residual validity (such as 6 months after you leave), but of course your passport has to be valid for the full length of your stay.

By the way, since you are coming for just 3 weeks, why don't you travel under the VWP?

Anyway, out of curiosity: how could you cancel your residence without signing up for another one abroad?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

I am not sure how Neatherland works, but being a Dutch citizen you should be able to approach any of the offices in Neatherland and they should renew your passport.

There is no such need for you to renew your passport in US coz you signed from US address in past.

As per me officer on POE would not be comfortable to let you enter on passport that does not have atleast a year on it.

Timeline

; wooohoooh!!

I just called The-Hague, which provides Passport for Dutch Citizen who doesn't have an official place to stay (people who travels over a year, etc).

I explained them the story and they also thought it was weird that the City Council in my community won't re-new my darn passport :bonk: .

Anyways, I called and I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get my new passport. And they told me that if I have a valid B2 Visum, I have priority because I leave soon. Wooohooooh!! :dance:

So, I'm less panicked!!! Thank you all for reading my topic and it really made me feel good that members actually took their time to read it and to reply my post. You are all awesome and that's what makes the World a better place.. to help each other out when needed :rolleyes:

:thumbs: Thank you a thousand times!

Edited by Channah&Aaron

AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Okay, I think you must realize one more thing that you might face when you get to the U.S. They may simply not let you in because of your K1 visa being processed - so the risk that you might not leave U.S. is determined by the immigration officer as high.

I would advise getting to know about that now...could save you stress and money...I know it's hard, but we all gota do what we gota do...besides what couple more months being seperate when you're plan to spend next 50 years together...

Or you can always have your fiance fly in to meet you... that's what we keep on doing! Soon enough, hopefully, it'll all be over...

If you decide to go anyway, let us know, might keep my fingers crossed for you!

Take care!

Timeline

Okay, I think you must realize one more thing that you might face when you get to the U.S. They may simply not let you in because of your K1 visa being processed - so the risk that you might not leave U.S. is determined by the immigration officer as high.

I would advise getting to know about that now...could save you stress and money...I know it's hard, but we all gota do what we gota do...besides what couple more months being seperate when you're plan to spend next 50 years together...

Or you can always have your fiance fly in to meet you... that's what we keep on doing! Soon enough, hopefully, it'll all be over...

Take care!

Timeline

Take care!

; HUH? I don't know what you're talking about, but I traveled to the US before while my K-1/I-129f was pending. I haven't had any problems.

I always bring:

* A copy of the I-129f package

* a copy of NOA1

* letter from my Employer (with company letter head) stating when my Boss expects me to be back this March 23rd. = approval for my unpaid vacation

* salary specifications from the past 3 months, so they'll know I have an income and can support myself

* a return ticket.

I don't know why you think that people are in the K-1 process can't travel to the US. You can!! It's a known fact that you are allowed to travel, but maybe you have to prove strong(er) ties to your home country. And the documents I mentioned above are pretty strong ties. And I also went to the US last month december/beginning of January (spent NY's with my hubby), so I didn't have a problem either.

Dont unnecc scare members saying that they can't travel during their process, you can!

AOS

Timeline

I'm not saying you can't travel to the U.S. Just saying that in some cases the immigration officers might refuse to let you in.

But hey, knowing that you did travel before under those circumstances, that's good news to all of us!

Not scarying anyone.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi, just a quick question related to this subject.....I am a B2 visa holder but was told that if I try to enter on the B2 while my K1 is being processed that they wouldn't let me past immigration. Reading this forum has made me think I was given wrong information. Does anyone know for sure?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, just a quick question related to this subject.....I am a B2 visa holder but was told that if I try to enter on the B2 while my K1 is being processed that they wouldn't let me past immigration. Reading this forum has made me think I was given wrong information. Does anyone know for sure?

People travel every day while waiting for I-129F approvals.

You just need to bring ties to your country, to show that you need to return. sometimes people have been stopped and turned around but it is generally because they do not have enough proof they must return home. Generally the NOA1 from your I-129F is a good helper because they see your not just going to stay in the US that you are in the legal process of getting a K-1 visa to enter and stay.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Timeline

Hi!!

I, the Original Poster of this topic, am as you read also a B2 Visa Holder. I received my B2 Visitor Visa last May and I traveled twice to the US (one time for 2 months -July/August- and last December 30th up to January 5th and I'll be headed to the US again within 2 weeks. I haven't accured any problems (knocking on wood). Thank goodness the BPC at Pittsburgh Airport are very friendly. But again, you have to prove strong ties, as usual. If you are well prepared than there is nothing you should be afraid of. :thumbs:

Edited by Channah&Aaron

AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

There is too much confusion going on in this thread! Some people have asked people not to travel or the advises have been utterly misrepresented!

Regardless of everything, let me just say that I had a 10 year B1/B2 visa and while my K-1 was being processed, I visited the US about 3 times in a span of one year. Also, we sent our I-129F application to USCIS while I was in the US, on a B2. And when my K-1 was issued, my B1/B2 was "Cancelled without Prejudice". However, I am a Permanent Resident now!

The OP, Channah, is pretty smart and is well aware of the travelling requirements, the documents she needs to carry and how to answer the questions asked by the CBP. She even knows that if the CBP find her inadmissible, she might be turned back. However, scaring people and advising them not to travel to be with the SO's in uncalled for. Please refrain from these kind of personal opinions.

Channah, and everyone else, here are quite a few threads which help me weigh in with the point I am trying to prove:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/137407-sucessfully-visited-the-us-while-my-k1-visa-is-pending/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/121814-can-fiance-visit-us-with-i-129f-pending/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/200337-having-my-fiancee-visit-on-a-b2-visa-while-k1-is-pending/

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/159723-visiting-the-us-while-k-1-visa-is-being-processed/

Bottomline: You can visit the US as long as you have significant ties to your home country and YOU PROVE that your intentions are not to stay forever in the US, on that trip!

I hope this helps!

This post is NOT directed to hurt anyone's feelings! It is just intended to comfort my good friend Channah and all others who are currently in the midst of the process!!!

KnR aka slider100

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

; HUH? I don't know what you're talking about, but I traveled to the US before while my K-1/I-129f was pending. I haven't had any problems.

I always bring:

* A copy of the I-129f package

* a copy of NOA1

* letter from my Employer (with company letter head) stating when my Boss expects me to be back this March 23rd. = approval for my unpaid vacation

* salary specifications from the past 3 months, so they'll know I have an income and can support myself

* a return ticket.

I don't know why you think that people are in the K-1 process can't travel to the US. You can!! It's a known fact that you are allowed to travel, but maybe you have to prove strong(er) ties to your home country. And the documents I mentioned above are pretty strong ties. And I also went to the US last month december/beginning of January (spent NY's with my hubby), so I didn't have a problem either.

Dont unnecc scare members saying that they can't travel during their process, you can!

you didn't mean your husband, right?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.