Channah&Aaron

In complete stress!! and absolutely weird!!!

37 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

Omg, I'm seriously confused!! =(

Let me tell you the story and hopefully somebody can provide me the answer I'm looking for.

I, Channah (beni) am going to see my fiance Aaron (USC) in 2 weeks. I'm going to visit him for 3 weeks only and because my Passport expires this July 16th, I'm afraid that my entry gets denied because I have a B2 Visa. And the new date on my new Stamp would be September 2nd, 2011 -6 months Visa, multiple entry-. And by then, my passport would be expired.

IT ALL BEGAN TODAY: Because of the reason (above), I wanted to re-new my passport just in case. I went to the City Hall, and said that I want to have my passport re-newed, but also have to use the passport I already have because my B2 Visa is in it. She asked for my passport photo, and she left. She came back and she told me that I have to re-new my passport in the US!! I was like shocked!! FYI: I am an October filer I-129F -VSC- and ofcourse, I am still a Dutch Citizen. The reason that she couldn't give me my Dutch passport is that I signed off from my moms house address. I did this last year because I spent most of the summer in the US with my fiance. I signed off with the reason that I'm going to move to the US next year. And during my stay, my mom won't have to pay this TAX for a two people household on the mortage. However, that is not an issue. I was just confused and said that I am still a Dutch Citizen, duh! But she said, because you signed off from your moms home address because of this reason, we think you moved to the US. I said, ofcourse I didn't move, I just signed out because I will move eventually. I also told them that because I'm only petitioning, and ofcourse not that far in the process that it's impossible to be an American. She also said that she knows I'm a Dutch citizen. All in all, very weird!!

She said that I have to go the nearest Dutch Embassy whenever I'm back in the US, which is Washington D.C. And she says that it won't be a problem for me to get a new Passport.

I E-mailed the Dutch Embassy in The-Hague, here in the Netherlands. But I don't get a feedback back. So that's why, I hope one of you, with B2 Visa (or simular) knowledge can help me with my question:

1) Can I still visit my fiance (US) with my passport that expires on July 16th, 2011, although my B2 new date stamp will say September, 2011???? Ofcourse I'll be back waaaay before my passport expires.

To the Admin/moderators. I'm sorry if this isn't related to the K1. Maybe a little when someone wants to sign out from their home address a couple of months before they move. Please don't close this topic, since people are out here that maybe have the answer I'm looking for, but ofcourse you can move this topic.I don't hear anything back from the Embassy and I'm so scared... :(

Thank you!!!

holland-flag-44.gifunited-states-flag-88.gif

heart-119.gif August 28th, 2011: Wedding heart-119.giflove-182.gif

AOS
August 31th, 2011: applied for SS#
September 6th: received SS#
September 26th, 2011: AOS sent
September 30th, 2011: NOA1
October 6th, 2011: NOA1 hard copy
October 26th,2011: Biometrics
October 28th, 2011: case transferred to California for faster processing
December 5th, 2011: received EAD/AP card
February 22nd, 2012: Green card in production
February 27th, 2012: GREEN CARD in hand, yaaay!!!

November 10th, 2013: ROC

Hi there!! Remember me? We have similar timeline and experience with immigration at the airport in the US... Anyway, you will be denied entry to the US with a passport that's NOT valid for AT LEAST 1 year. That will be the second time you'll get denied entry if ever, so I advise you to renew your passport. You will then have to re-book your flight if you can't get your NEW passport in time for your scheduled flight. My aunt who had a passport valid only for 10 months upon entry to the US (not 1 year), was denied entry and got sent back to the Philippines right away, and her B2 visa was cancelled due to this unfortunate circumstance. Her visa was valid for 10 years (multiple entries) and she was going to stay in the US to visit her children and stay for only 2 months. She didn't expect this to happen, she thought she was good with a 10-month valid passport because she was only intending to stay for 2 months. But immigration don't really make any exceptions, at all... So, go back to your consulate and demand that they renew your passport because it is your right as a Dutch citizen!!! Demand for a supervisor or a higher person in that office and get it done. That girl you talked to obviously don't have any idea what she's talking about. Tell her what the deal is and ask for another person to speak with... And, by all means, don't leave until you get it done. Bring all documents with you as much as possible - birth certificate, employment letter, flights to and from the US, etc... Unless of course, if your country is an exception to the RULE of 1 YEAR VALID PASSPORT upon entering the US, which is highly unlikely...

Good Luck! Keep me posted!

~g~

Hi there!! Remember me? We have similar timeline and experience with immigration at the airport in the US... Anyway, you will be denied entry to the US with a passport that's NOT valid for AT LEAST 1 year. That will be the second time you'll get denied entry if ever, so I advise you to renew your passport. You will then have to re-book your flight if you can't get your NEW passport in time for your scheduled flight. My aunt who had a passport valid only for 10 months upon entry to the US (not 1 year), was denied entry and got sent back to the Philippines right away, and her B2 visa was cancelled due to this unfortunate circumstance. Her visa was valid for 10 years (multiple entries) and she was going to stay in the US to visit her children and stay for only 2 months. She didn't expect this to happen, she thought she was good with a 10-month valid passport because she was only intending to stay for 2 months. But immigration don't really make any exceptions, at all... So, go back to your consulate and demand that they renew your passport because it is your right as a Dutch citizen!!! Demand for a supervisor or a higher person in that office and get it done. That girl you talked to obviously don't have any idea what she's talking about. Tell her what the deal is and ask for another person to speak with... And, by all means, don't leave until you get it done. Bring all documents with you as much as possible - birth certificate, employment letter, flights to and from the US, etc... Unless of course, if your country is an exception to the RULE of 1 YEAR VALID PASSPORT upon entering the US, which is highly unlikely...

Good Luck! Keep me posted!

~g~

Omg, I'm seriously confused!! =(

Let me tell you the story and hopefully somebody can provide me the answer I'm looking for.

I, Channah (beni) am going to see my fiance Aaron (USC) in 2 weeks. I'm going to visit him for 3 weeks only and because my Passport expires this July 16th, I'm afraid that my entry gets denied because I have a B2 Visa. And the new date on my new Stamp would be September 2nd, 2011 -6 months Visa, multiple entry-. And by then, my passport would be expired.

IT ALL BEGAN TODAY: Because of the reason (above), I wanted to re-new my passport just in case. I went to the City Hall, and said that I want to have my passport re-newed, but also have to use the passport I already have because my B2 Visa is in it. She asked for my passport photo, and she left. She came back and she told me that I have to re-new my passport in the US!! I was like shocked!! FYI: I am an October filer I-129F -VSC- and ofcourse, I am still a Dutch Citizen. The reason that she couldn't give me my Dutch passport is that I signed off from my moms house address. I did this last year because I spent most of the summer in the US with my fiance. I signed off with the reason that I'm going to move to the US next year. And during my stay, my mom won't have to pay this TAX for a two people household on the mortage. However, that is not an issue. I was just confused and said that I am still a Dutch Citizen, duh! But she said, because you signed off from your moms home address because of this reason, we think you moved to the US. I said, ofcourse I didn't move, I just signed out because I will move eventually. I also told them that because I'm only petitioning, and ofcourse not that far in the process that it's impossible to be an American. She also said that she knows I'm a Dutch citizen. All in all, very weird!!

She said that I have to go the nearest Dutch Embassy whenever I'm back in the US, which is Washington D.C. And she says that it won't be a problem for me to get a new Passport.

I E-mailed the Dutch Embassy in The-Hague, here in the Netherlands. But I don't get a feedback back. So that's why, I hope one of you, with B2 Visa (or simular) knowledge can help me with my question:

1) Can I still visit my fiance (US) with my passport that expires on July 16th, 2011, although my B2 new date stamp will say September, 2011???? Ofcourse I'll be back waaaay before my passport expires.

To the Admin/moderators. I'm sorry if this isn't related to the K1. Maybe a little when someone wants to sign out from their home address a couple of months before they move. Please don't close this topic, since people are out here that maybe have the answer I'm looking for, but ofcourse you can move this topic.I don't hear anything back from the Embassy and I'm so scared... :(

Thank you!!!

event.png

~~I-129F~~

10/18/2010 - I-129F Filing Date

10/21/2010 - NOA1 Date

02/24/2011 - NOA2 APPROVAL

03/21/2011 - Medicals @ SLEC

04/07/2011 - Interview @ USEM Manila

04/13/2011 - Visa Issued

04/16/2011 - Visa Received

05/02/2011 - POE Seattle

05/08/2011 - Wedding Date!!!

~~AOS~~

05/23/2011 - Sent AOS Package

05/25/2011 - Package delivered and signed for by: D.NESBIT

06/14/2011 - NOA Notice Date; Check Cashed

06/15/2011 - NOA Email and Text Notifications

06/20/2011 - NOA hardcopies received in the mail

06/27/2011 - Biometrics Letter received in the mail (for 07/19/2011)

06/28/2011 - Walk-in Biometrics attempt unsuccessful (USCIS Seattle)

07/19/2011 - Biometrics @ 12noon

07/20/2011 - EAD Card/Document Production & AP Post Decision Activity

07/25/2011 - Second notification on EAD Approval

07/26/2011 - Third notification on EAD Approval

07/28/2011 - EAD AP card in the mail

09/06/2011 - AOS Interview ~ APPROVED!

Timeline

; Yeah, I do remember you!!! Thanks for your post!!

A couple of things though:

1). The woman I talked to said those things when the supervisor was standing next to her when she explained me. Remember that this was the city council Elburg. This is the community I live in. And because I'm nog registered on my moms home address, I'm not a member of the town anymore and they cant grant me a new passport!

2). I flew to the US last month and didn't have any problems, though my new B2 Stamp Date was before my passport expires..

That's what I want to know so bad!! Can I still travel for only 3 weeks before my passport expires this July 16th? This is ridiculous!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I can only re-new my passport in the US. God, I'm not even an American Citizen!! And if I can't travel with my passport for any reasons, how to re-new it anyways. Really, this is so bullshit and I'm teared up :'(

We didn't book the flight yet, we were about to today, but somehow we didn't end up buying it. I need answers :( and my work already approved my holiday request, although I can change that. I just don't feel like having this weird insecure bump in the road!!

Oh my gosh :(

AOS

Timeline

; So many views, but no replies :crying:

AOS

Hi Channah,

Well, your topic neatly pushed me over the edge to register.

The lady at the gemeente was wrong about how you can only get your passport renewed in the US. When you deregister from the gemeente (like people often do when they go and travel for a year or more) your data is kept in The Hague in a special register. You can re-register at the gemeente in which you still live by simply requesting that they re-register you. You will need to bring proof like a rental contract or a deed of ownership for a home. Did you live in Amsterdam?

I hope I'm allowed to post links here, since this site : http://www.dwi.amsterdam.nl/ik_wil_een_uitkering/hoe_vraag_ik_een/hoe_moet_ik_mij/ tells you how to register again. Once you're registered you can ask them to renew your passport in the usual way.

HTH :)

I have a blog!
My blog.

First date: May 31 2009
Moved in together: April 16 2011
Got married: November 25 2011

Sent I-130 (from abroad): November 5 2012
NOA 1: November 8 2012 (MSC / NBC)
NOA 2: January 2 2013

NVC case complete: April 15 2013
Interview date: June 25 2013
POE: ???

Timeline

; that's the point. I don't own my own house, I live with my moms and the lady basically told me that because of the reason I told her last year that I want to sign off because of moving to the US. But if I knew I would get problems re-newing my passport, ofcourse I wouldn't have done that. Super Visor stood next to her, and what else can I do than accept their story?

Shall I go back, and what if they'll tell me the same?

Wat een gezeur (=this is bs) :crying: !!!

AOS

I think you should start by checking the site of your gemeente and look up how to register in the gemeente at an address that you don't own or rent yourself. In Amsterdam, you can do this by bringing your own passport, yours mom's passport and a statement by your mom that you will be living with her. It might be different at your gemeente, so check their website or give them a call.

Once you have successfully registered again, simply ask them to renew your passport. It may mean you have to wait for a little while to get it renewed, but as soon as you're registered at your mom's house again, there shouldn't be a problem anymore. You can always deregister again later, once you actually are moving out.

I have a blog!
My blog.

Timeline

; Dank je Pluis!!

I really hope you're right... One last thing. I signed out with my mom and I asked if I can re-register when my mom can come along with me today. She still said NO! She might lost her mind :blink:. You tell me.

I E-mailed both Dutch Embassies (The-Hague, Netherlands & Washington D.C.,USA) and I just sent my fiance the number of Pittsburgh Airport so he can call and ask officers/whoever that can give us the answer if I still can travel with the passport I already have.

Ofcourse, I have to re-new my passport sooner or later. I just wonder if I can still travel with this passport in about two weeks to see Aaron in the US for 3 weeks. All I want to know is if I can come into the US (March 2nd) while my B2 passport stamp will say that I can stay for 6 months but my passport won't be valid for an other 6 months... :whistle:

AOS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Channah, first of all, don't panic! We tend to make more mistakes when we panic!

I think I can help you with your situation! I was a B1/B2 visa holder, and they cancelled my visa once my K-1 was approved!

Regardless of that, the things that I inferred from your post are as follows:

1) Your town won't renew your passport based on some discrepancies which has forced them to believe that you are not a Dutch citizen anymore.

2) You passport is due to expire in July, which is within the 6 months of your entry in to the US.

3) You will be staying ONLY for 3 weeks for your trip.

Let me know if I am missing out on anything!

Now these are my suggestions to you:

1) As a B1/B2 visa holder, I did my research and found out that whenever you wish to travel, you need to make sure that your passport is valid for 6 months from your date of travel. Thus, in your case, I would try and go to some city authorities and try explaining them your situation and get the new passport expedited. This is what I found out from one of the important websites:

A machine readable passport is also required, and must be valid for at least six months past their expected stay in the US

2) I understand it is hard but your country just can't cease your citizenship without you notifying them about your intentions. This is clearly a mistake on their part and they need to help you out. They need to issue you a new passport as you are still a Dutch citizen.

3) Once you get through with that, you can fly to the US with both of your passports.

I know this is probably not you wanted to hear but I want the best for you! Please let me know if you have any more questions Channah, I wish you all the best!

KnR aka slider100

On the website for gemeente Amsterdam I also found the following:

Link to the page that gives more information about registering on someone else's address. It tells you what to do and which additional forms you or your mom may have to fill out should they think you are no longer a Dutch citizen (which you are, denouncing citizenship is hard).

I have a blog!
My blog.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Channah, I did some more research and I think I might have some good news for you!

I found an interesting link which states the "Passport Requirement Rule" for various countries. The link is:

http://www.wordtravels.com/travel-inspiration/passport-expiry-issues

After going through the article, I found out that US is exempted from the minimum 6 month passport validity rule. In fact, it says that your passport should be valid for the duration of your stay in the US.

Being that said, I would still try and get an expedited passport approval!

I hope this helps!

KnR aka slider100

Edited by slider100

Timeline

; Thank you sooooo much for your answer Slider :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

So, I can't visit Aaron when I don't have a new passport within the next 2 weeks?

:crying: Gosh!!

I guess I have to go back to the City Council and ask one more time if I can register myself on my moms home address again, and what I need to do so.

If not, than there is nothing much I can do than work on plan B. Call the Dutch Embassy here in the Netherlands and ask for an appointment. But since it'll take 7 days to receive my new passport, I think I won't be able to fly out March the 2nd. BUT, I have to stay optimistic, it's not the end of the World :blush: .

Maybe I'm just panicking because of all the waiting and stress from the this K1 process and I just didn't expect for more bumps.......

Again, thank you so much for your answer Slider, I really really really appreciate it once again. You've been always a great help!! :dance:

AOS

Timeline

Hey Channah, I did some more research and I think I might have some good news for you!

I found an interesting link which states the "Passport Requirement Rule" for various countries. The link is:

http://www.wordtravels.com/travel-inspiration/passport-expiry-issues

After going through the article, I found out that US is exempted from the minimum 6 month passport validity rule. In fact, it says that your passport should be valid for the duration of your stay in the US.

Being that said, I would still try and get an expedited passport approval!

I hope this helps!

KnR aka slider100

LOL, I didn't notice your latest reply in time. I also read it and it gives me more hope because I would like to re-new my passport in the US IF i can travel to the US. Because I'll be already in the country and I won't have a limited time for it. I hope to get an answer from Pittsburgh soon!

AOS

Timeline

; I'll def will!!

And I will keep you posted as well :rolleyes:.. There is a solution for every problem!!

xoxox

AOS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.