LaviniaW

Sucessfully visited the US while my K1 Visa is pending

25 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Hi there!

I just wanted to share my experience of visiting the U.S. when we are still waiting for the K1 Visa. We had filed the K1 application on March 3rd. and got an NOA1 from USCIS on March 6th, 2008. After that...nothing happens yet!

I went back to Taiwan on April 16th, 2008. Stayed in my country for two and half months. The K1 process is painfully slow and it's taking longer than we thought. So I decided to come back to the U.S. while the K1 is pending. I have done lots of research on visajourney.com. I got scared that I might be trun away at the airport and waste $1,300 bucks. I tried it anyway and I made it!!

Here is how I did it:

First of all, I went to the American Institute in Taiwan to applied for a B1 Visa( Tourist Visa). The AIT officer did not have any records about my K1 Visa so I got it easily. And then I purchased a round-trip flight ticket from Taiwan to San Francisco. I did not have a letter from a company since I didn't work, I did not have a lease or mortgage in Taiwan, I did not have any strong ties to Taiwan excepted the return flight ticket.

When I arrived at the SFO Int'l airport. I stayed calm and confident. The POE officer only asked me 3 questions with smile:

1. Are you a student? No, I am a visitor.

2. Who are you visiting on this trip? My boyfriend.

3. How long are you going to stay in the U.S.? 2 months.

The POE officer did not know anything about my K1 visa. He looked at my passport, asked me questions and said have a fun trip!

So for those who are wondering if you can visit the U.S. while waiting for the K1 approval. My experience might be able to cheer you up a little bit! It's okay if you don't have strong ties to your own country. Just don't be panic and be polite when going through the customs. They won't eat you.

Good Luck!! :)

Lavinia

Hi there!

I just wanted to share my experience of visiting the U.S. when we are still waiting for the K1 Visa. We had filed the K1 application on March 3rd. and got an NOA1 from USCIS on March 6th, 2008. After that...nothing happens yet!

I went back to Taiwan on April 16th, 2008. Stayed in my country for two and half months. The K1 process is painfully slow and it's taking longer than we thought. So I decided to come back to the U.S. while the K1 is pending. I have done lots of research on visajourney.com. I got scared that I might be trun away at the airport and waste $1,300 bucks. I tried it anyway and I made it!!

Here is how I did it:

First of all, I went to the American Institute in Taiwan to applied for a B1 Visa( Tourist Visa). The AIT officer did not have any records about my K1 Visa so I got it easily. And then I purchased a round-trip flight ticket from Taiwan to San Francisco. I did not have a letter from a company since I didn't work, I did not have a lease or mortgage in Taiwan, I did not have any strong ties to Taiwan excepted the return flight ticket.

When I arrived at the SFO Int'l airport. I stayed calm and confident. The POE officer only asked me 3 questions with smile:

The POE officer did not know anything about my K1 visa. He looked at my passport, asked me questions and said have a fun trip!

So for those who are wondering if you can visit the U.S. while waiting for the K1 approval. My experience might be able to cheer you up a little bit! It's okay if you don't have strong ties to your own country. Just don't be panic and be polite when going through the customs. They won't eat you.

Lavinia

Glad you made it through Lavinia. :thumbs:I wouldn't however be advising everyone to do this. It's totally up to the Border official who you get at the incoming inspection. I would always advise people to bring information that suggests ties to their home country just in case. If you don't need it fine, but if you do need it...you have it there.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi there!

Here is how I did it:

Lavinia

Good job and congratulations. Others should be careful not to equate 100% of your experience to theirs. Taiwan is not the PI, China or any country in the middle east, N. Africa or the former Soviet block.

I would equate your experience to VWP countries and Canada. Calling your fiance your "boyfriend" is probably not going to come back and bite you as long as you don't overstay. You actuallly don't know whether the CBP officer had access to know an I-129F petition was filed for you. You just know it didn't come up in your conversation.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Hi there!

Here is how I did it:

Lavinia

Good job and congratulations. Others should be careful not to equate 100% of your experience to theirs. Taiwan is not the PI, China or any country in the middle east, N. Africa or the former Soviet block.

I would equate your experience to VWP countries and Canada. Calling your fiance your "boyfriend" is probably not going to come back and bite you as long as you don't overstay. You actuallly don't know whether the CBP officer had access to know an I-129F petition was filed for you. You just know it didn't come up in your conversation.

Acutally Nick-Niche here on VJ knows a CBP officer and they apparently do not have access to K1 on their system. I recently came back from seeing my other half in Seattle and I told him I'm here to see my fiance! He said 'have a nice trip.'

Hi there!

Here is how I did it:

Lavinia

Glad you made it through Lavinia. :thumbs:I wouldn't however be advising everyone to do this. It's totally up to the Border official who you get at the incoming inspection. I would always advise people to bring information that suggests ties to their home country just in case. If you don't need it fine, but if you do need it...you have it there.

I've got to disagree with you. If you can afford the ticket and return ticket if need be, why not try? It's just money. To some people, its not worth the risk and to others it is. This isn't going to hurt your chances of getting a K1 if you get turned away or denied a tourist visa. All you have to lose is $$

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I traveled to the US twice while my K1 was pending and had no problems.

The first time was for two weeks in February. I entered the US in Chicago, the officer asked me three questions and I was free to go.

The second time I arrived in April and stayed for 12 weeks, and thanks to VJ I knew that I had to be prepared. I flew through Dublin (they clear US immigration there) in order to avoid being sent back home from Chicago. It would have been unbearable to know that Rob is just steps away and yet I can't see him.

I had a whole bunch of stuff with me in order to prove that I'd really go back to Germany. My return ticket, a contract and a letter saying that I'll start a job here on July 1st, a letter from my flatmate saying that I live here, pay my rent and that all my personal belongings are still here (my landlord was on holidays, otherwise he'd written that for me). I also had travel insurance documents and an approved treatment plan from my dentist (the treatment costs a lot and my insurance company pays most of it, so wouldn't I be silly if I didn't go back?). I also had a letter from Rob saying that he'd support me while I'm there, and copies of all the documents and forms we had sent to the USCIS.

So then I got to Dublin and spent some days there with friends, before I went on to Chicago. I got to Dublin airport early, because I expected to be questioned for ages. The first officer asked the usual questions:

What's the purpose of your trip? (Vacation)

How long are you going to stay? (12 weeks)

Oh. Do you have a return ticket? (Of course)

How can you go on such a long trip? (I'm in between jobs, and my new job doesn't start until July 1st)

Who will you be staying with? (Rob G.)

How do you know him? (He's my sweetheart - tried to avoid the word fiancé here ;) )

How much money do you have with you (Not much at all, since I won't need any)

Have you been to the US before? (Yes, 2 months ago).

Well. Needless to say that I had to go to the back office after that conversation :blink:

The officer there was a lot less intimidating than the first one. He asked me if I had packed my own bags and then he really got started. He wanted to know every possible thing, but he never tried to intimidate me. He was really friendly. He asked me about Rob and how we know each other. He also wanted to know if we're engaged and since when, and I told him. He didn't ask about the visa.

He wanted to see my return ticket and after I told him about the new job starting in July he wanted to see the contract and the letter from the employer. Then he asked me why I had a new passport (my old one was going to expire in June) and if I had other documents to identify myself with (I showed him my German ID and social security card). He asked me what I had studied and when I finished and many things more. The whole thing took about 10-15 minutes, I think. He also asked me how much money I had with me and told me that I was not allowed to work without a visa. I said I know that and told him that I have a letter from Rob saying that he'd support me, while I was there. I asked him if he'd like to see it and he just grinned and said: No, I believe you. I'd do the same if I were him.

I then got the stamp in my passport :lol:

I'm glad I took the trip to Dublin, because this way I was so much more relaxed during my flight to Chicago then I would have been otherwise. I had an amazing 12 weeks with Rob and can't wait to go back for good!

Hi there!

Here is how I did it:

Lavinia

I've got to disagree with you. If you can afford the ticket and return ticket if need be, why not try? It's just money. To some people, its not worth the risk and to others it is. This isn't going to hurt your chances of getting a K1 if you get turned away or denied a tourist visa. All you have to lose is $$

It's okay to disagree! It's nice when people can afford the ticket, but not if they can't of course. My concern was over the part that I bolded. I know about them not having access to the K-1 information in the computer system. But saying it's okay if you don't have strong ties to your own country is not a good idea.

carlahmsb4.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

Agreed. Those who are planning to give it a try, will do better, bringing as much proof as possible. If the CBP officer doesn't ask for the documents.. great! but if they do ask for documents proving strong ties and you don't have them, then you'll be in trouble.

I too traveled on a B-2 (I was actually granted a new B-2) while our K-1 was processing, and had no problems. My fiance and I were willing to take the risk. But what many forget is that the possibility of being deined at the POE is for ANY visa holder, not just B-2 holders that have a K-1 pending. A visa does not guarantee the entry to the U.S. territory in ANY case.

Edited by eric_and_teresa

APPLIED FOR NATURALIZATION 07/2021

08.01.2011 - I-751 SENT

08.05.2011 - Check cashed

08.08.2011- NOA Received

08.19.2011 - Biometrics Letter Received

09.12.2011 - Biometrics Appointment

01.27.2012 - Card production ordered

02.01.2012 - 10 year GC Received

07.25.2021 - N400 filed online

08.09.2021- Biometrics re-use notice

04.18.2022- Interview done at Minneapolis USCIS Local Office   ✔️ Received N-652 "Congratulations your application has been recommended for approval" during the interview.

05.19.2022- Oath Ceremony in MN

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

Grrrrr Dublin! :lol:

Of course you can do it... Russ got through 5 times without any proof of ties to NZ....before being sent home on the last attempt. It really does depend on the POE officer.

timeline.jpg

I've got to disagree here. It's not just about the money you're losing paying for a return flight, it's the emotional consequences. It would hurt me so much if I had booked a trip, paid the money (that I barely have), travel 13 hours and then be told I'm not allowed into the next room where I know my guy is waiting.

Luckily I've had no problems entering, but I would never risk it. Always bring something.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I've got to disagree here. It's not just about the money you're losing paying for a return flight, it's the emotional consequences. It would hurt me so much if I had booked a trip, paid the money (that I barely have), travel 13 hours and then be told I'm not allowed into the next room where I know my guy is waiting.

Luckily I've had no problems entering, but I would never risk it. Always bring something.

That's what I was so afraid of! To know he's just a few feet away and yet I can't see him. That's why I went through Dublin, because then at least he'd be thousands of miles away.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Grrrrr Dublin! :lol:

Of course you can do it... Russ got through 5 times without any proof of ties to NZ....before being sent home on the last attempt. It really does depend on the POE officer.

One of those things isn't really like the other. "You can do it! Unless you get caught!"

Perhaps not the wisest thing to advocate. From then on, you realize that he has to say "Yes" to that question on pretty much any country in the world's visa process, that horribly awkward "Have you ever been refused or denied entry to a country?", which is going to make immigration queues at airports far more fun.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My fiance has come over 3 times since November and once was for a month and the last time was for 3 weeks. We were worried after having read the horror stories but he didn't have any problems. They asked him who he was visiting and he said his fiancee. The officer asked how a relationship works being in different countries and he said he was working on his visa. And that was about it. I was asked more when I went over there. But having said that, it is better to be prepared. It really does depend on who is working that day and what mood they are in and what they area looking for.

Met online August 6, 2007

Met in person November 7, 2007

Engaged November 10, 2007

Submitted petition December 27, 2007

NOA1, January 4, 2008

NOA2, May 9, 2008

Petition leaves NVC, May 19, 2008

Received Packet 3 from Embassy, June 7, 2008

Mailed Packet 3, July 1, 2008

Medical July 18, 2008

Interview July 25, 2008 - Approved!

Moving date September 10, 2008

Wedding October 18, 2008

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP November 6, 2008

AOS, EAD and AP delivered November 9, 2008

Check cashed November 19, 2008

Biometrics December 18, 2008

Green Card received March 31, 2009!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.