Mr. Florida

Who should pay for small temple wedding in the U.S.?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello to all the VJ members out there. I have a question for all the veterans out there who have either faced this situation or something similar to what I'm about to face.

At the time of this writing, we recently received our NOA2 and our K-1 petition is on its way to the U.S. Consulate in Mumbai, India. My fiancee who is from India and I are planning on what we should do after she arrives to the U.S. We have already planned ahead that we will return about a year later to India to complete our traditional, ceremony wedding in front of a priest with both our families in attendance.

However, after she arrives to the U.S. with her K-1 visa and we have our registry marriage at the court, our families were thinking if we should conduct a small, ceremony wedding in front of a priest at a local temple in my city before her family returns to India, mostly because both our families think it's auspicious to start a life with God's blessings and blessings from both families. We will still have our main traditional ceremony wedding a year later in India. Since it is customary for the girl's family to hold the ceremony wedding, obviously our situation is different since she and I live on other sides of the planet at the moment. My question is the following. Who should be responsible financially for the temple, ceremony wedding here in the U.S.? Is it me, my parents, or her parents? I will find it especially difficult to pay for the ceremony wedding here as I am financially burdened from all directions with her visa, her future green card, my moving expenses since I recently moved to a new city for a new job, expenses for some basic furniture I need to buy before she arrives, etc. I am not unwilling to pay at all, but I need to know whose responsibility is this from a religious or cultural point of view. Who here has faced a situation like this and what solution did you come up with? I am very confused on this matter. Your opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated and most enlightening to my situation. Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello to all the VJ members out there. I have a question for all the veterans out there who have either faced this situation or something similar to what I'm about to face.

At the time of this writing, we recently received our NOA2 and our K-1 petition is on its way to the U.S. Consulate in Mumbai, India. My fiancee who is from India and I are planning on what we should do after she arrives to the U.S. We have already planned ahead that we will return about a year later to India to complete our traditional, ceremony wedding in front of a priest with both our families in attendance.

However, after she arrives to the U.S. with her K-1 visa and we have our registry marriage at the court, our families were thinking if we should conduct a small, ceremony wedding in front of a priest at a local temple in my city before her family returns to India, mostly because both our families think it's auspicious to start a life with God's blessings and blessings from both families. We will still have our main traditional ceremony wedding a year later in India. Since it is customary for the girl's family to hold the ceremony wedding, obviously our situation is different since she and I live on other sides of the planet at the moment. My question is the following. Who should be responsible financially for the temple, ceremony wedding here in the U.S.? Is it me, my parents, or her parents? I will find it especially difficult to pay for the ceremony wedding here as I am financially burdened from all directions with her visa, her future green card, my moving expenses since I recently moved to a new city for a new job, expenses for some basic furniture I need to buy before she arrives, etc. I am not unwilling to pay at all, but I need to know whose responsibility is this from a religious or cultural point of view. Who here has faced a situation like this and what solution did you come up with? I am very confused on this matter. Your opinions and experiences would be greatly appreciated and most enlightening to my situation. Thank you.

If you want to save costs then get your marriage license and have a lovely civil ceremony in a park or little chapel somewhere with a minister. My husband had never had a religious touch to his previous marriages and I had already had the big white church wedding so we opted for a friend who was a minister and we had a beautiful ceremony in Orlando under a tree with prayers and all and we chose our own vows. Costs $250 for the park and I paid for the rest.(flowers, cake ) With all your expenses getting her here it is only fair that she should pay to contribute to the marriage here in the US. Just my thoughts.

Edited by Barbara J

Divorced !st November 2012.

Married only 2 years 1 month

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My thoughts are if her parents are paying for a big traditional wedding later it would be rude to have them pay for the first one. Now since money is tight you can just do like the other post said and have a very small simple wedding outside or even at your parents house with a minister/priest so you can get the blessing to please both families. Your family may want to help out if you explain to them how hard it would be to pay for anything bigger then that. Something small like that would be the best bet in this situation. Again just my thoughts but I would not ask her family to pay since they are doing a big wedding later.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

To clarify furthermore, I am paying for her visa and her eventual green card, but her parents are paying for their and her plane tickets.

Dude you are not paying for anybody, she is your future wife - it sounds like you are forced to pay for her immigration cosst.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Be honest to her, her parents and your parents and let them know the situation is tight at the moment and spending that extra money on temple ceremony would be burden to you. I dont know how much it would cost you to have small temple ceremony, but I am guessing atleast $600-800, if you wish to save them be honest to both families and go from there.

I am sure your parents nor her parents would want to burden you with extra expense and they would understand the situation.

Good Luck dude.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
Dude you are not paying for anybody, she is your future wife - it sounds like you are forced to pay for her immigration cosst.

I didn't take it that way at all. But it DOES bear mentioning because the OP is talking about the amount of money he has spent already, is going to be spending, and how it's made him a little financially strained which is why he's asking about who pays for this "little wedding". I personally paid for the Aus side of my process (except for the visa fee, he sent me money for that), and my fiance paid the US side. I paid for my flight and wedding dress. He paid for the actual wedding (well I think I helped out with bits and pieces.. it was a while ago now).

------

OP - it's completely up to you and your fiancee what you want to do. If your fiancee doesn't want a ceremony in the US, or doesn't think it's necessary then don't worry about it. My in-laws changed a lot about the wedding I actually want and I do regret that so make sure you talk to her about it. As a side note - As I said before Tony paid for our US wedding but I want something in Australia when he and I are eventually able to go there. It's likely my family would pay the majority, and Tony and I would help out with it. It would hardly be expensive, just a gathering of friends.

You've got to remember you're planning (I hope) on only getting married once. There's nothing wrong with making it special, but going broke by doing so is pointless. I doubt it would be expensive and it would be a nice move I think and her parents would probably appreciate it.

Culturally I would say that it is your parents responsibility as I think that the Indian ceremony is probably going to be huge and very elaborate as per the Hindu tradition (I am assuming you are Hindu)

You can have a very simple ceremony but if they are paying for flights etc its obvious that everyone is spending money and you want to create good feelings amongst everyone.

03/09/2011 AOS Application Sent.
03/11/2011 (Day 0) Application Received
03/16/2011 (Day 7) NOA 1 (Text Email)+ (Checks Cashed)
03/19/2011 (Day 10) Hard Copy of NOA 1
03/28/2011 (Day 19) Biometrics letter 4/8/2011
04/08/2011 (Day 30) Successful Biometrics for I-765/I-485
05/13/2011 (Day 65) EAD received in the mail
05/14/2011 (Day 66) Email confirming EAD approved (Case updated online TOUCH)
05/20/2011 (Day 72) SSN In the Mail.

09/08/2011 (Day 200 ) Email notification of Interview.
10/11/2011 Interview at 26 Federal Plaza, NY!
Interviewed and Am expecting RFEs!
10/13/2011 (Day ***) Received RFE-- Requesting that I provide documentation to prove I was never married in Uk or Illin
02/11/2012 (Day ***) Service request..Told its being reviewed by supervisor

24th March 2012!!!!!!!!!!! Email notifiying me of CARD IN PRODUCTION
03/26/2012 (Day 376) Emails confirming that my I-130 and I-485 have been approved.

4/2/2012 Green Card In Hand!

Unbelievable that my journey took this long but Im thankful

Next Stop Premed...Yup!

3/24/2014 Application for conditions to be removed

9/22/2014 APPROVED without interview.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

You should pay for temple, for that day.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

This whole thread is probably now moot, in light of the locked thread that was started by this same OP in the K-1 Case Reports subforum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.