Judy & Eugene

Calling USCIS

43 posts in this topic

I've been trying to call the USCIS line inside standard business hours, and the automated system keeps telling me to call back within standard business hours, and will not transfer me to a live representative. Any idea what's going on today?

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

I've been trying to call the USCIS line inside standard business hours, and the automated system keeps telling me to call back within standard business hours, and will not transfer me to a live representative. Any idea what's going on today?

They just started answering the phone... two hours and twenty minutes late!

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Talked to a Tier 2 for the second time... They dont really give any information different from Tier 1... Has anyone experienced that the Tier 2 really gave some information about a specific case? I feel they just tell me what i already know... So waiting at least half an hour to talk to them, doesn't really give me anything....

AOS

Aug/21 2013: I-485 sent
Aug/28 2013: I-485 received at USCIS, Chicago
Waiting for NOA1....

K-1 Journey
Jan/19 2013 : I-129F sent
Jan/22 2013 : I-129F received at USCIS, Lewisville, TX
Jan/24 2013 : NOA1 received - California Service Center
Jan/29 2013 : A# changed
May/15 2013: NOA2 (approved in 111 days after NOA1)!!!
May/31 2013: Received at NVC....
June/3 2013: NVC case number
June/4 2013: Package 3
June/4 2013: Case left NVC...
June/6 2013: Package 3 sent and Medical exam done
June/7 2013: Case at Embassy...

June/17: INTERVIEW.. Approved!!
June/21 2013: Passport with visa arrived
June/27: POE: FLYING TO USA

US Citizenship
Sep/11 2012 : N-400 sent
Sep/12 2012 : N-400 received at USCIS, Phoenix - AZ
Sep/27 2012 : NOA1 and FP appointment letter sent
Oct/01 2012 : NOA1 and FP appointment letter delivered
Oct/11 2012 : FP appointment scheduled at 2pm
Nov/12 2012 : Case status changed to Testing & Interview
Jan/03 2013 : Interview appointment - Passed!
Jan/17 2013 : Oath ceremony
Jan/18 2013 : Applied for expedited US passport
Jan/29 2013 : Got US passport

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Talking to Tier 1, Tier 2, supervisor, whatever won't speed up your case, they only way you can get sped up is file a service request (wait until you are past their posted processing times) or expedite, here are the expedite criteria:

The applicant has urgent and critical medical needs that cannot be addressed in the applicant’s country;

An applicant’s family member in the United States has a serious medical condition and has urgent and critical medical needs related to that condition that require the applicant to assist the family member in the United States;

The applicant is faced with urgent circumstances related to the death or serious illness of a family member;

The applicant or qualifying family member is a particularly vulnerable individual due to age, serious medical condition, or disability and this vulnerability is exacerbated by the applicant’s presence outside the United States;

The applicant is at risk of serious harm due to personal circumstances distinct from the general safety conditions of those living in the applicant’s country;

It would be in the national interest of the United States to have the applicant in the United States (for example, the applicant’s presence in the United States is urgently required for work with a U.S. government entity); or

As described in a request from or for a member of the Armed Forces of the United States

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

another bump.

Any inaccuracies or changes that folks can comment on?

"If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you."

"Life is not what it's supposed to be. It's what it is. The way you cope with it is what makes the difference."

Beneficiary - Applying for CR1/IR1 (but also played the K3 card prior to understanding it may be phased out.)

2013: July 20: I-130 sent (Chicago lockbox)

July 24: I-130 NOA1

July 24: I-129F sent (Dallas Lockbox)

Aug 2: I-129F NOA1

Aug 12: Alien Registration Number was changed, I-129F.

2014: Jan 28/29/30: - 3 transfer notices for I-130 and I-129F.

Feb 3 - Hard copy arrived -Notice of transfer to Texas stating Jan 29th.

Feb 10 - NOA2

Feb 27 - email stating I-130 being sent to NVC from TSC.

March 6 -NVC received our case.

April 7 - CASE NUMBER yay! IIN and BIN obtained and email given.

April 9 - DS261 available and filled in online.

April 9 - AOS not yet payable but visible.

April 10 - email regarding NVC case number and access to DS261 received/ email regarding AOS received and paid.

April 11 - AOS sent by snail mail.

April 14 - AOS arrived per mail tracking.

April 15 - IV bill received via email, IV bill paid/ in process, IV package sent.

April 18 - IV bill showing paid/ DS-260 available and done!

- AOS scanned into their system.

April 21 - IV package arrived per mail tracking.

April 24 - IV scanned into their system.

May 2 - False checklist for IV documents= AOS approval.

May 13 - NVC rep reported ? missing Police certificate via my phone call.

- Supervisor review initiated.

May 14 - Checklist for Police certificate came via email.

- Sent checklisted documentation priority post!

May 15 - Package delivered per mail tracking.

May 19 - Case COMPLETE!! Police certificate found by NVC:)

May 28 - Case complete email arrived.

May 30 - Assigned Interview date!

June 2 - Interview letter arrived via email.

June 11- Medical appointment Surrey, BC

July 8 - Interview in Montreal!! APPROVED!!!!!!!! July 10 - Visa package and passport in hand!! July 23 - POE!!

I believe you can type 1, 1, 1, 1, case number, 3 to get a tier 1.

3/25/2006 - Got Married

3/20/2013 - I130 Priority Date
11/6/2013 - Transferred to Nebraska
1/3/2014 - NOA2
1/6/2014 - Petition shipped to NVC
1/21/2014 - NVC Received
2/24/2014 - Case # & IIN
3/3/2014 - DS-261 Available and Submitted
3/4/2014 - AOS Fee Available and Submitted
3/5/2014 - AOS Fee Paid
3/6/2014 - Received AOS Coversheet and Payment Receipt
3/7/2014 - AOS Package Sent
3/10/2014 - NVC Receives AOS package
3/12/2014 - NVC Acknowledges receipt of AOS package
3/21/2014 - Triangle of Doom appears for IV package
3/24/2014 - IV Fee Available and Submitted
3/25/2014 - IV package overnighted to the NVC
3/26/2014 - IV Fee shows PAID
3/26/2014 - DS260 available & submitted
3/26/2014 - IV package delivered to NVC
3/26/2014 - False checklist for IV fee.
3/26/2014 - AOS documents accepted w/no checklists!
3/28/2014 - IV & DS260 logged into NVC System
4/10/2014 - Case Complete!

Interview Date: June 17, 2014

Approved at Interview!

POE Newark on 6/28/2014! He's finally home!

Got a pending I-130? Tired of waiting for something to happen? Let's make something happen: http://www.visajourn...ners-committee/

We need more Twitter followers:@USCI130Cmte

Join our Facebook Group! https://www.facebook.com/groups/USGreencardpetitionerscommittee/

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wow, this really worked! The part in red. Answered right away!

How to prepare for your call?
Before calling the NCSC please have available
- your receipt number:
- alien registration number:
- type of application filed:
- date filed:
- Online case status:
- Processing times applying to your case type
- Check your priority date (if applicable)
- Have all relevant correspondence with USCIS (NOA1)

How to talk to a live person at USCIS?
Contact the National Customer Service Center (NCSC) at 1-800-375-5283.
Call early in the morning (8.00 am)

Option 1: Then dial 1, 2, 6, 2, 4 (exact sequence). Use these options every time you are prompted.
(You can also try - 1 - 2 - 1 - Case Number - 1 - 3 - 3 or 4)

Option 2: Call USCIS and Do not press anything (don't choose a language). They will think you have a rotary phone and will transfer you directly to a live person.

Option 3: Don't don’t choose the number for “case status”, but do different ones instead (for example “RFE”; “expedite your case”, …)

Option 4: Military Help Line: 1-877-CIS-4MIL (1-877-247-4645); Members of the military and their families may call to receive assistance with immigration-related questions.

If they speak Spanish just say English please. Now you can ask what you want.

What to ask them?
During your call we recommend that you take note of the following information:

About them:
- The name of the NCSC representative:
- The id number of the NCSC representative:
- The date and time of the call:
- Any service request referral number, if a service referral on a pending case is taken:

About our case:
- When calling, ask them for a service request.

In case they refuse or tell you that they cannot answer your question, then ask to be transferred to a Tier 2 ISO (Immigration Service Officer) supervisor, who will have more privileges to access detailed information about your case. Once you get an ISO, be very polite, and take notes for your records. Ask them for their badge number. That way you can reference each conversation by date and the badge number of the ISO.
Also ask them to review case status - THEY can - it's on their screen.
If the NCSC doesn’t issue a service request, please make sure the NCSC representative tells you the reason why he did not issue the request. (This information you'll need to follow up)

- Some of the standard questions:
1) Name check Status?
2) Background Check Status?
3) Has it been assigned to an officer?
4) When can I expect to get some updates on my case?
5) Can you help me with a ball park date on when my case will be assigned to an officer?
6) What dates are they currently working on?
Of course, we are aware of the standard response we get.

http://www.dhs.gov/x...37986181.shtm#5

The NCSC operates on a two-tier model.
Tier 1 Customer Service Representatives (CSRs):
Can
• Relay basic immigration information to customers through scripts provided by USCIS
• Answer questions about USCIS forms
• Transfer calls to Tier 2 in certain circumstances
Cannot
• Answer specific questions about a case with the exception of information available through Case Status Online
• Transfer calls to local offices or service centers where cases are pending
• Provide legal advice

Tier 2 Immigration Service Officers (ISOs):
Can
• Review USCIS systems on your case
• Request that notices be re-issued
• Provide information that you may receive at an Infopass appointment
• Provide specialized assistance to dependents or active members of the U.S. Armed Forces
• Provide information on pending and adjudicated cases.
Cannot
• Review already issued Requests for Evidence (RFEs)
• Directly issue duplicate notices, receipt notices, RFE notices
• Transfer calls to local offices or service centers
• Provide legal advice

Service Requests
Both Tiers 1 and 2 can create a “service request” which is sent to service centers and local offices on matters such as expedite requests, change of address, appointment rescheduling, case processing delays which exceed the posted times, and other matters that may be unique to a specific case.

Sincerely,

VerySadGuy

30 year healthcare professional

Victim of heinous immigration romance scam

Father of a lovely little girl

And champion for those wronged by fraud.

• 7 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Thank you for this information although it's a few years ago, it is still very much accurate. I followed the steps and was able to get a service request put in to find out why my case is not processed since it is passed the date they are processing. 15-30 day wait to get answer.......

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.