zips

Why the US?

62 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My SO and I decided rather easily to reside in the U.S. because I have two children from a previous marriage and moving the children to a different country would be quite an adjustment to say the least. I already own a large home to house all of us and have amazing medical benefits through my employer. On the other hand, the job situation would likely be easier the other way around since I am an RN and can be a nurse just about anywhere. His job does not have the transfer option so we will have the not so fun task of finding a job here. But networking goes a long way! So I am already working that angle. We are also trying to figure out if he should sell his home in England or if we should keep it and rent it. We have many discussions about all of this and I had to laugh when I read OnyxandInari's comment regarding wildlife! That was one of the first things my SO brought up when visiting the deep south for the first time. He wanted to know the odds of being bitten by a brown recluse or encountering a snake when walking through the yard. I have never encountered either of the these things in the 8 years I have lived in this part of the country so it is not something I think about! But apparently the UK is devoid of such nuisances.

May, 2010 became penpals

Many, many phone calls and letters

September 10, 2010 met for first time in Rome. Love at first site, absolutely.

October, 2010 visited him in England.

December 31, 2010 he came here for Christmas/New Years. Engaged New Year's Eve.

January 21, 2011 Sent I-129F

January 22, 2011 Delivered Lewisville, TX

January 27, 2011 Received email notification of NOA1, case forwarded to VSC

January 29, 2011 Received hard copy NOA1 via snail mail

February 11, 2011 Visited him in England for 10 blissful days and met his wonderful family

April 23, 2011 Spent 10 amazing days together in Cancun and wished even more that we could go home together!

May 24, 2011 NOA2!!! Finally!! We are absolutely thrilled!

July 1, 2011 Medical with Knightsbridge Doctors (all is well!)

July 2, 2011 Mailed ready documents to London embassy via signature delivery

July 5, 2011 Embassy signed for documents

July 18, 2011 Received Packet 4

July 29, 2011 Flying to London for visit with my love and his family! So excited

August 24, 2011 Interview approved!!

POE:

October 9, 2011 Wedding

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband is in Morocco. The culture there is very different, although I loved it there. But for me, it wouldn't matter what country he was in because I have four adult children (including triplets) and we are very close. It would be very difficult for me to live that far from them and not be able to see them a few times a year, and talk to them almost daily. He has always told me it's my choice, so that is my first choice, to live here:)

Would anyone want to share why they picked having their fiance come to the US rather than emigrating from the US to your fiance's country; especially those of you from England/UK with it's National Health and benefits system. My fiance has been asking himself this question and I don't have any good answers. I thought maybe someone who went through it and made the decision might have some good advice for him. Thanks!

Moroccan-Americanflag.jpg

Met in December 2008

Married in Morocco December 22, 2009

Filed IR1/CR1 - April 2010

NOA1 - April 29, 2010

RFE - November 12, 2010

Response to RFE - December 22, 2010

NOA2 - January 18, 2011

Paid AOS and IV Bill - January 27, 2011

Sent AOS/IV documents - March 15 2011

NVC received/signed for documents - March 17

Interview May 10

APPROVED

Money/work was my main reason. However, I'm not sure if that's working out.

Was in the hospital for two weeks, didn't understand my insurance at the time and now might be looking at a 60k bill. If that actually happens I will regret moving here.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Japan
Timeline

My husband is in Morocco. The culture there is very different, although I loved it there. But for me, it wouldn't matter what country he was in because I have four adult children (including triplets) and we are very close. It would be very difficult for me to live that far from them and not be able to see them a few times a year, and talk to them almost daily. He has always told me it's my choice, so that is my first choice, to live here:)

At first I contemplated moving to Japan but I think life is much less hectic in the US compared to Japan.My company has branches in Japan so I could apply for those jobs but language is a barrier for me and even then I don't think I could survive in the Japanese corporate environment.

For some countries, it's a no-brainer and you can even see some posts here that allude to the fact that moving to the US is considered to be a big fringe benefit of the whole K1 thing. But someone from the UK or Canada, or France or Japan or Germany, it's not so easy.

We decided that she will not get US Citizenship as we plan to stay in Japan for extended periods in the future.

Edit: Make no mistake though. If for whatever reason she could not come here, I would move to Japan in a heartbeat!

Edited by Yagisama

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

My wife is much closer to her family (which is HUGE) than I am to my family, so you'd think that the logical choice would have been for me to move to her country. The kicker is that half of her huge family already LIVES in the US! :blush:

Even though my family isn't big, my mother and daughter both live with me, and depend on me for support, so moving to my wife's country would have been a last resort. My mother could, if needed, live with my sister or brother, and my daughter is old enough though not quite financially stable enough to live on her own.

This is ignoring the other factors, like huge difference in standard of living, system of government, quality of health care, etc. The people in her country are generally great, but life is pretty hard there.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Our decision was a combination of school, work, and family. I'm still in college, and transferring isn't an option because I'm on a scholarship from my university. Lewis is a plumber, and although some things are a little different here, everyone everywhere needs a plumber. :)

The family was the tough part. We both have very close families, but he's said that he always sort of felt like he'd move away. We've discussed living in England later on, which as others have said, is a lot easier to do than starting there and moving here later.

That, and what he considers to be 'good' tea. Even when I buy him British tea, he complains that the milk isn't right here. :bonk:

I hear ya. Lewis says our "British tea" is weak. And now he's got my dad addicted to the "real stuff."

"Many waters cannot quench love." -Song of Solomon 8:7

Petition Sent: August 21, 2010

NOA1 Received: August 26, 2010

Touches: The October 3rd Touch of Death :)

And did you get what

you wanted from this life, even so?

I did.

And what did you want?

To call myself beloved, to feel myself

beloved on the earth.

-Late Fragment by Raymond Carver

IT COULD BE WORSE. You could be stuck in a dream within a dream within a dream within a dream. Or dead.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

We're very young and my parents were more willing to let us live with them until we get on our feet. Neither of us really had a good job or our own place so we could have moved either way. We decided we'd rather raise our kids, when we have them, in Europe but would like to be done with immigration by then. So we're here first so he can get US citizenship and then off to England eventually. Though the longer we're here, the happier he is to be here.

flag45.gif Damian & Kelly 1502.gif

Rugby, England >> Harrisburg, PA.

Summer 2005 -- Met on Pokerstars.com

June 15th, 2006 -- Met in Person

Feb 1st, 2008 -- Filed I-129F

May 2nd, 2008 -- Visa Interview = Approved. (91days)

May 27th, 2008 -- Damian moves to America!

July 23rd - 30th, 2008 -- Damian's Mum Comes to the US for our wedding.

July 25th, 2008 -- Wedding Day!

March 16th, 2009 -- AOS Sent

May 8th, 2009 -- EAD & AP Approved (51days)

July 14th, 2009 -- AOS Approved!! (118days)

July 21st, 2009 -- Green Card Received (125days)

No RFEs the whole process :) All done myself.

December 4th - 30th, 2009 -- Visited England

April 8th - 30th, 2010 -- Damian's Brother visits us here in PA.

January 19th, 2010 -- Damian got his PA license.

December 10th - 19th, 2010 -- Visited England

September 16th - 30th, 2011 -- Damian's Parents came to visit us here in PA.

June 1st, 2011 -- Mailed ROC to Vermont.

February 21st, 2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

April 14th, 2012 -- N-400 Sent to Dallas Lockbox

November 26th, 2012 – Damian Became a US Citizen!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We are chosing the United States because 1) I have two children one of which is a type 1 Diabetic, and even though expensive ( like her 7000 Insulin pump) the care is far better here in the United States. More concerns for the children is that they do not speak Arabic, whereas Hicham's English is pretty good :) And schooling for them would be a huge financial issue in Morocco for English speaking schools. Just in case you didn't know the families of people who work in the Embasy or Consulate office, pay a LOT for their private education. It's incredible. Morocco is a beautiful country, and places like Tanger, are booming. But, I am in college as a music major, and want to continue my education at VCU. Hicham is very supportive of my education so it is important to him to help me make that happen. I am very close to my friends and family too. He is close to his family of course but I am far more emotional and sensitive than he is and it would affect me much more to move away. Although we have had the imaginary talk of what if we were millionaires what would we do? After I finished school and work as a teacher, summers in Morocco!! It is amazing there. So how awesome would that be?! :D I would love to create and decorate a Moroccan home.... in Morocco!! Anyways, Those are the big reasons. :)

8j0g.jpg8j0gm4.png

December 27, 2009 - Wishing each other a blessed 2010. -When we met
February 25- I realize I love this amazing man! (but of course I must see it and feel it in person to know for sure )
June 22, 2010 - The day I first lay eyes on the man that I love.
December 29th 2010- January 6th 2011 - second trip to Morocco, an amazing time with an amazing man. He tells me I am everything he needs and more and hopes that he is the same for me... of course!! I accept his proposal and we are engaged!
October 2011 - So very much in love still, can't wait to see him in December
December 22nd,2011- January 9th 2012 - What a wonderful time, we had an engagement ceremony, and finally we decided it was time to start filling out some papers! Hoping to send it off in late March !
December 27th, 2012 - January 14th, 2013- My girls and I visit my Sweet Bread and have a wonderful vacation with all of the family, including my uncle!

November 12, 2013 - I-129f mailed! Finally!

November 21, 2013- NOA1 !

February 27th, 2014 NOA2 !

March 18th, 2014 NVC RECEIVED!

April 23rd, 2014 INTERVIEW !!! God-Willing we will be in each others arms soon! God Bless!!

April 24th, 2014 Find out we were in AP, 2 weeks later he is called back to the Consulate...

May 8th, 2014 Hicham is given a 221g at the Consulate and told that the petition has been sent back to USCIS. :( HEARTBROKEN. Yet, determined to convince them.

September 29th, 2015 MARRIED.

June 2015- Still madly in love, and madly missing each other.

September 29th, 2015 Mailed CR-1 Petition.

October 1st 2015 NOA-1

December 2nd 2015, Notice of Action- Transferred to Local office in Arlington, VA

The Journey continues....... missing each other like crazy!

Still, God Bless.

Thank you for letting me share my story smile.png
HichamRainbow2.pngloveforeverpng.pngPicture0006.png

"You'll know then that I am God. No one who hopes in me ever regrets it." Isaiah 49:23

hubby made ~$25,000 a year at a job he didn't really like without great prospects for a job he would like, I make $75k a year at a job I adore...no contest! We will probably live in the UK for a few years after we have kids, but just to see Europe and the kids to get to know the culture and the grandparents...

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

It made more sense for me to move from Scotland to USA, Fiancee had been over a few times visiting but did not like the wind and rain and i think the harshness of the people, it's more cuddly in the South lol.

I had a good job but was living with family, where as Fiancee had just moved into new home and had steady job working as a nurse so had no problems with healthcare as all family is encluded.

We have the same discussions, about differences in culture, words, candy, etc etc i must admit i did not realise how big the culture difference would be but i am getting used to it as is my wife with me lol.

even working here is soooo different. the experience continues....i also think the milk is weak here, i also miss my Scottish pride bread and real bacon.

Edited by Liam and Kara

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

It came down to one thing for us. My children. One will be turning 18 in March, so was not as worried about him, but my daughter is is only 15 and needs support. If it wasn't for them, we would probably stay in China. On my one trip I loved it and can't wait until I get back. I felt welcomed and like I fit in even though I do not speak Mandarin, but am very slowly learning. It all came down to my children

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Work mainly, I have a job here that'll require me to travel back and forth from state to state and I don't HAVE to learn another language to be able to work. The health care was way cheaper over there, I will admit, but I enjoy it more here for climate (I love mountains) and just attitude of people in general. My hubby does as well. Though he does miss Belgium for a few things we don't have here and his family, he finds there are more ups than downs here.

Edited by Mithmeoi

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Interesting thread. I must say that I was waiting for the opportunity to move outside the US so I thought I found my ticket when I met my husband. When it came time to decide to end the distance between us, I would have been very happy to move to the Dominican Republic! Life is beautiful there and so are the people. The food is good and organic (not organic to them because it's just normal food). His family is great! I am cool with my family but I can live without them. I could get a good job too. However, it's hotter than the devil's spit down there! My husband is an intermediate level computer program who was dreadfully underpaid. Also, his country is still developing so the quality of some things (like only drinking water from bottled water) requires patience and acceptance. I really was ok with moving there but he convinced me it's better to start our future on dollars instead of pesos. That made since so we decided to start our lives here. However, I will get my residency in his country and we will eventually have a home there too! When/if we have children, it's important for us to have them experience both of their cultures so a lot of back and forth. We for sue want to retire there...at least that is the plan now.

K-1 Visa

Feb. 12, 2010 - Sent I-129F

Feb. 17, 2010 - NOA 1

Feb. 19, 2010 - Check Cashed!

Apr. 5, 2010 - NOA 2

Apr. 12, 2010 - NVC Received

Apr. 14, 2010 - Left NVC for Dominican Republic

Apr. 22, 2010 - Consulate Received!!

May 24, 2010 - Packet 4 Sent (Still haven't received it...)

June 29, 2010 - Packet 4 Received (Had to pick it up at the consulate)

July 9, 2010 - Interview Date...omg!!!!!

July 9, 2010 - Visa Approved!!! W00t, w00t!!!!!!

Oct. 1, 2010 - POE (very easy, no problems, and he even got approved to work!)

Oct. 20, 2010 - Married in Las Vegas baby!!!!

AOS

Dec. 3, 2010 - Sent AOS and EAD

Dec, 5, 2010 - I-485 and EAD received

Dec. 10, 2010 - Date of NOA 1

Dec. 11, 2010 - NOA 1 received in mail (they told us it would take week in the email =p)

Dec. 18, 2010 - Biometrics appointment notice received for January 12, 2010

Jan. 12, 2011 - Biometrics Appointment (Strange but fine)

Jan. 13, 2011 - Transfer to CSC NOA received (dated January 7, 2011)

Feb. 9, 2011 - Email notification of a Decision: AOS Approved!!!!

Feb. 11, 2011 - Email notification Green Card in mail

Feb. 17, 2011 - Green card received!!!! The card wasn't green =P

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Chile
Timeline

First, I have a HUGE family here in NY, whereas Elena has only a cousin and and aunt in Russia.

Second, the standard of living here is much higher.

Third, Elena speaks fluent English, whereas my Russian is worse than Tarzan's English.

Pretty much the same reasons than A1422, just change Russia for Chile :)

as1cHs-0g410510MDAwMTA1NHN8MDA5Njk4c3xXZVwndmUgYmVlbiBtYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.