Al422

MY COMPLAINT TO HOUSE APPROPRIATIONS ABOUT VSC

61 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm sorry to tell you that you won't attract any attention at all.

I have experience with congressional staffers and lobbyists for family immigration reform. I am sorry to tell you that your complaint will fall on deaf ears because frankly it hasn't taken that long.

At one point in our immigration journey about four years ago, my husband's name was caught during his adjustment of status. His green card took nearly 18 months to arrive. I was put in contact with staff for a lobbyist in order to tell our tale as "evidence" for a powerful senator. When I spoke to the staffer, although he was very nice, he told me our story was not powerful enough to attract any attention. He gave me three examples that day of people who had been waiting three or more years for green cards.

While I understand your desire to change the system, you don't really have anything powerful enough to bring about change. There are people caught up in this system who are in far worse shape than you are. This does not mean that I wish you anything less than the best of luck and I hope you are reunited with your fiance soon. I just think you should realize what you are up against.

There are two ways for this kind of letter to have an impact.

The first is, as you reference, to present an INDIVIDUAL case on its unique merits to get action on your own complaint. I believe this OP has a completely different strategy in mind.

A different strategy is to get a flood of letters going to our political representatives letting them know that there are many constituents (potential voters) that are really unhappy about a function of government. The individuals involved and the merits of the individual complaints have less relevance than the perception by the congress-member that he has many unhappy constituents. He sees the opportunity to score points by advocating on their behalf. And the only people USCIS have any reason to be afraid of would be congress since they control the purse-strings.

I think there may be merit in this strategy. I am glad I am at CSC but it was quite recent that it was VSC that was moving while CSC was at a near standstill! It may happen again at any time.

Timeline

You have basically just whined to the teacher about Billy bothering you in class but you have nothing to back up your claims.

But if a large part of the class whines to the teacher about Billy, it then becomes less about the individual whiners and the teacher starts to realize Billy really does need to be dealt with!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

But if a large part of the class whines to the teacher about Billy, it then becomes less about the individual whiners and the teacher starts to realize Billy really does need to be dealt with!

True, however the teacher does need to review each of the claims and have real information and FACT to address the situation. Without FACT, and fact isn't a statement of "with no end in sight", whatever the issue is cannot be identified and resolved.

Timeline

True, however the teacher does need to review each of the claims and have real information and FACT to address the situation. Without FACT, and fact isn't a statement of "with no end in sight", whatever the issue is cannot be identified and resolved.

This is not about anything judicial with 'due process'. In politics perception is everything!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

This is not about anything judicial with 'due process'. In politics perception is everything!

I disagree, money is everything in politics. Which is why proving how it negatively impacts the bottom line is key. For example, if this person could actually do some research and prove that by reducing the wait time they could increase the $$$ coming in by a certain percentage that would definitely get their attention.

I would venture to say that whinning isn't nearly as effective.

Timeline

I disagree, money is everything in politics. Which is why proving how it negatively impacts the bottom line is key. For example, if this person could actually do some research and prove that by reducing the wait time they could increase the $$$ coming in by a certain percentage that would definitely get their attention.

I would venture to say that whinning isn't nearly as effective.

Money matters to a politician, ...but only if it is given to him to buy votes with!!

bottom line - the majority of the voting american population only care about ILLEGAL immigration right now. most americans don't want to fix the ways foreigners can successfully immigrate here.

that's the real problem.

Over all a pretty good letter. Just a few inconsistencies, e.g., I129F, i129F, i12F I believe. They should be fixed prior to sending. There may be others but I didn't notice.

Good luck in your fight with 'City Hall'

John

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

I agree with many of the people about the needless remarks about Haiti. Although it my be a contribitor it is not the sole problem. If you check the USCIS website applications you will find a very large spike for Honduran extensions for temporary protected status. The registation period was May to June. So this is a direct impact on July filers because if I understand correctly the extensions needed to be approved before the end of the year. Also this year work visa applications were going to go up incredibly in cost, therefor there was a massive drive to apply before the cost increase.

As the statement opinions are like a certain body part, everyone has one. Here is my opinion.

Never complain without a solution. Provide solutions with your complaint, that way as the typical politicians love to do they can propose it and take credit for it without doing any work. In my opinion the immigration sections need to be reorganized, the petitions that are sponsored by an individial US Citizen should be in their own department. Not mixed with work visas, TPS or any other category.

Another change I think needs to be made but will not ask for because it feels selfish. My grandfather was in the D-Day invasion, My father died of Agent orange related cancer from vietnam, I served in Desert Storm and Bosnia. My 2 step sons served in Iraqi Freedom, one is still there. But nowwhere is there any vet preference in this process. I do think veterans earned a little more respect than we receive, veterans lives are put on the line, but they can get a few extra minutes of time.

And for all of you people that tell us short timers (since I am a Dec filer), we need to be more patient. I noticed these statements come from countries linked to Japan, and UK and other Passport nations. You need to realize when you are talking to someone that is associated with a Latina America country, it is extremely difficult to even visit our Fiancees. They cannot get visitor visas to come here unless they have a job and own a home, and it is not safe for us to go there. As all Americans have money and are targets for robbery and kidnapping. Please take into consideration the persons country, before you blanket bash people. Their circumstances are most likely different than yours.

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Honduras

I-129F Sent : 2010-12-13

I-129F NOA1 : 2010-12-17

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2011-05-06

Your I-129f was approved in 140 days from your NOA1 date

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

event.png

[/url]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

It is taking EVERYONE (minus those few who think they are higher than everyone else) 5+ months, but IT DOES HAPPEN! Patience pays off. What is a few months or even a year process compared with a lifetime being with the person you love and will have a family with? To me, the wait for this visa is an insignificant amount of time.

-Shawn

I've seen that sentiment over and over and it bothers me every time. I don't know how long my lifetime is, but I want to spend ALL of it with my fiancee. I want to kiss and hold her every day. I want to wake with her, eat with her and sleep with her at night. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, I finished high school over thirty years ago. ;-) Time apart is simply time wasted.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To the OP, good job initiating something! I hope you succeed cos there's no harm in trying.

I think so too! :thumbs:

But I will just wait until my fiancee starts complaining to me.

3.gif

"The perfection/respect/credibility of a man decreases by the number of marriages he has had and by the number of kids he has outside his current marriage. ", Quote by Bite YourDust
  • Met on yahoo chat through a friend.
  • April 2010 - Decided to meet in person
  • 06.01.2010 - She flew from Dubai to Philippines for vacationing
  • 06.21.2010 - We met in Philippines
  • 06.24.2010 - Engaged
  • 06.28.2010 - Came back to USA
  • 07.05.2010 - She flew back to Dubai (work)
  • 08.02.2010 - Mailed I129F to VSC
  • 08.03.2010 - Delivered to VSC. Signed by D RENAUD.
  • 08.09.2010 - Check cashed
  • 08.14.2010 - NOA1 (Dated 08/06/2010)!!!!!!!!
  • 08.19.2010 - Touched!
  • 08.27.2010 - Received snail mail that typographical error was fixed.
  • 10.03.2010 - Touched!
  • 11.21.2010 - Visited her for a week in Dubai!
  • 02.14.2011 - NOA2 Approved on St. Valentine day!!!!!!!
  • 02.17.2011 - Packet left from NVC to ABU DHABI (Dubai)
  • 02.19.2011 - NOA2 hard copy received
  • 02.22.2011 - Packet reached ABU DHABI's consulate
  • 03.02.2011 - packet 3 & 4 received by email
  • 03.02.2011 - Confirmation of Interview on 04.14.2011 -
  • 03.07.2011 - Fiancee passed medical exam.
  • 04.14.2011 - K1-Visa Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 04.21.2011 - Picked up Visa !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I definitely agree with sending the letter. And I don't think it matters where the person is on their journey. One of the things that disturbs me is the lack of consistency in the whole process.

If I'm reading the data correctly, in October and November of 2010, Vermont only processed 1142 and 866 petitions. At the same time, California processed 1216 and 1847. While Vermont was slowing down, California was speeding up. And I know, the immediate reply is that other times it was California that was slow and Vermont was fast. But that isn't the issue I have. I just want to see some type of consistency. I don't expect to see another July 2009 when California processed over 10K, but I don't think 866 is acceptable either.

I would think the goal would be consistency across the board, not one center outperforming the other. When something out of the ordinary occurs, such as the Haiti situation, I would like to see that shared among the centers, so that we again have consistency.

I don't think anyone really blames the workers. I think the directors need to have some accountability. Even if they can't guarantee a length of time for approval, they should at least be able to deal with a certain number of petitions during a month. And 866 isn't a good enough number.

And hopefully, with consistency we may then be able to phone the center and get a meaningful answer.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I've seen that sentiment over and over and it bothers me every time. I don't know how long my lifetime is, but I want to spend ALL of it with my fiancee. I want to kiss and hold her every day. I want to wake with her, eat with her and sleep with her at night. I'm not a spring chicken anymore, I finished high school over thirty years ago. ;-) Time apart is simply time wasted.

Agreed, i HATE people who make comments like that. Noone knows if they will die tomorrow or in the next second. You see all these articles on the news, newspaper, magazine etc about loved ones who got in a fight and never got the chance to make up for it etc.Life can be long or short.

The BS going on at VSC is unacceptable. 886 petitions approved in November? Are you kidding me?! Watch December numbers be half of that.

Umm you are not even at 5 months in your process. You are told in the very beginning that 5 months is standard. Seems like you have no patience to begin with! Nice way to draw attention to yourself when you I-129f does get reviewed though. Not sure if it will be positive attention.

I finally got my final draft of my letter to the U.S. House of Representatives Appropriations Committee complaining about the Vermont DIsservice Center.

It is eminently clear that Vermont will do nothing with our files and just let them collect dust if we do not force their hand. There has been no action in Vermont for two weeks except for one VJ member who was neglected for 7 months and did indeed force their hand. If we let VSC act voluntarily, they will not act, not now, and not ever.

I have been told here, time and time again, to be patient. Well, my patience has expired. The time for action has come.

Tomorrow, I will be sending this letter to my Congress Member. I will then wait two weeks for action on his part, and if there is none, it will then go to every Congress Member on the House Appropriations Committee.

If we don't draw attention to our plight, nobody in power will ever do anything, and the Vermont Disservice Center will hold our engagements hostage forever.

Anybody who wants to plagiarize my letter and sent it to his or her Congress Member as his or her own work, changing whatever you like, has my explicit permission to do so.

Together, we can conquer this evil empire. May the force be with you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a petitioner in a proceeding pending before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) to bring my fiancé, ********** here to the United States for marriage. Towards that end, I filed an I129f Petition, which seeks approval for a K-1 fiancé visa.

There are no problems with my own petition, at least not yet, but there are multiple problems with the entire K-1/K-3 system at the Vermont Service Center that are causing needless hardships and delays for thousands of K-1/K3 petitioners and their beneficiaries throughout the entire region served by the Vermont office: First is that the delay in getting our petitions processed is growing every day and is totally out of line with any reasonable USCIS or other governmental need, and second, when a petitioner contacts the service with a legitimate inquiry about his/her case, he/she is met with no information, disinformation, and frequent hostility by USCIS personnel.

I realize that the USCIS is an administrative agency, under the jurisdiction of the President of The United States, but it is the Congress that funds the operation, and the Congress has a right, as well as a responsibility to ensure that the public monies that the Congress appropriates to USCIS are properly and wisely used.

I regret to inform you that this is not the case. Almost a year ago, the Director of USCIS appeared before the House Appropriations Committee seeking his appropriation for the upcoming fiscal year, promising to deliver excellent service and excellent public communication with those monies. Instead, USCIS has delivered poor service, poor public communication, and an endless plethora of excuses as to why it can’t do what the Director promised the Committee it would do.

Up until recently, the system worked well in that a petitioner could expect a decision on his/her petition in a reasonable amount of time, typically 30 to 60 days. But lately, that time frame has totally broken down such that the typical delay is now over 6 months and, in some cases, more than 7 months. And the USCIS’ own website shows a dangerous trend where receipts of I129f petitions remains fairly steady from month to month, but the processing volume is sinking rapidly. See http://dashboard.uscis.gov/index.cfm?formtype=6&office=6&charttype=1

And to make matters worse, when a petitioner inquires about the status of the case, even after what USCIS deems “normal processing time” (5 months), he/she encounters a brick wall of bureaucratic insolence and often downright hostility. We are given an 800 number to call, with operators who have no idea what they are talking about and no better information than a member of the public can get off the USCIS web site. And that website is less than helpful, merely telling you that your case is “being processed”, without any hint as to how close USCIS is to a decision. The only thing the operator offers is a “service request”, which, when issued, gives no information but merely instructs you to call back in 30 days.

Lately, delays in I129f petition processing have gotten completely out of control, and USCIS communication with the public has as well. Petitions sit and sit at the Vermont Service Center, hardly any of them get processed, and backlogs just grow and grow, with no end in sight. Petitioners were being been told 6 weeks ago that the service was working on July 10, 2010, and only recently were they told the service is working on July 24, a mere two weeks of filings processed in that entire time. And for the past two weeks, there seems to be no movement of I129f petitions in the Vermont Service Center whatsoever. This fall off of the proverbial deep end should alarm any administrator, but USCIS seems to have nothing but disinterest in attending to this rapidly escalating processing crisis.

As of this point in time, the California Service Center is processing their petitions at a fairly normal rate and attending to their backlog in a responsible manner. They are already well into August 2010 and will soon start on September, while Vermont struggles to finish July.

Nobody at the Vermont Service Center is willing to tell the public what is going on, almost as if they are doing something wrong and have something to hide. I hear more and more stories about rude and obnoxious service personnel who are mean and nasty to the very petitioners who are the source of these people’s jobs, often making false statements of fact and even hanging up the telephone on them.

And to add more uncertainty and more stress to these United States citizen petitioners, the petitions are not processed in the order received, despite USCIS claims to the contrary. Some petitions are acted upon shortly after 5 ½ months, some are held to 7 ½ months and sometimes longer, and there is no rhyme or reason for this disparate treatment of one U.S. citizen over another. Nobody can determine, based on historical data, even the remotest estimate of when a decision will be reached on their petitions. This disparity would not be quite as bad if the USCIS would offer a reason or rationale for it, but, like everything else, USCIS maintains this part of their operation in secrecy as well.

There is no excuse for USCIS to be secretive. As a governmental agency which serves the public, its operation should be as transparent as glass. And there is certainly no excuse whatsoever for any USCIS personnel to ever be rude and hostile towards the members of the public they are paid to serve who simply want to know what the near future holds for themselves and their fiancés.

The USCIS does not act like it is a branch of the government of the greatest democracy in the world, behaving more like the KGB than anything else. The United States of America deserves much better.

Keeping families separated for months and months, with no end in sight, poses great hardships on these families. And mind you, these are not indigent people looking for handouts. These are families consisting of United States citizens who paid good money to have their petitions filed and who commit themselves on paper to support their new spouses out of their own funds, and foreign fiancés who get thoroughly screened for illness, criminal history and other undesirable attributes.

This failure by USCIS does not only hurt these petitioners and their beneficiaries. It hurts the family unit as well; the very fabric of the strong society the United States is built on. This is not just my own thought. It is, as well, the thought of the drafters of the Utah Compact, a wise and thoughtful group of individuals who were concerned about our broken immigration policy and how it is tearing our society apart. You can read about the group here: http://www.utahcompact.com/

While I cannot be certain as to why the USCIS is delaying I129f petitions for as long as they do since they are so secretive, I have a reasonable idea: USCIS, in their implementation of the Help Haiti Act of 2010, took it much too far. Instead of protecting Haitians legally in this country from having to return to the post earthquake chaos of their native land, USCIS is using the act to give all Haitians, even illegal aliens, broad based priority service, very much at the expense of fee paying United States citizens and their fiancés. Haitian citizens who are already here legally are safe and secure and in no need of any sort of priority. I12f petitioners and their fiancés, on the other hand, are forcibly separated and enduring long and substantial hardships while their petitions collect dust on USCIS shelves.

While USCIS may deny processing TPS claims from illegal aliens, the New York Times discovered otherwise. Here is a link to their article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/16/world/americas/16immig.html?_r=2

And while it might be argued that illegal aliens need protection too, those people made a conscious decision to operate outside of the law, thereby waiving any protection the laws that they shunned might otherwise have given them.

Now, despite the deadline for new TPS petition applications having passed, our i129f petitions are still collecting dust in the Vermont Service Center and going nowhere, and our fiancés are still exiled in their countries of origin, effectively banned from their rightful marital homes, with no end in sight. I do not know what the Vermont Service Center is doing with its time, maybe more TPS petitions, or maybe something else. But I do know what it is not doing: Attending to its responsibilities to U.S. citizens.

During the upcoming budget cycle, the Director of USCIS will no doubt make his annual appearance before the House Appropriations Committee, requesting his appropriation for the upcoming fiscal year. I ask that you refer this correspondence to the members of that committee so they can ask the Director what the citizens of this country want to know: Ask him why his agency has failed United States citizens so miserably. Ask him why delays in attending to the needs of United States citizens have been spiraling out of control with no sign of any interest by his agency in fixing them. Ask him why USCIS personnel refuse to communicate with fee paying petitioners and give them any meaningful information, not to mention proper courtesy and respect. Ask him why his agency is allowing families to suffer needless months of separation and hardship while persons already safe and secure in the United States get pushed to the front of the line. And ask him when he intends to make his agency responsive to the needs of the public it is supposed to be serving.

I thank you for reading my letter and wish you to know that I will be tracking the budget process as it pertains to USCIS to see if the changes that agency desperately needs become implemented.

06-15?-2009: Starting talking on dating website
07-06-2009: Met in person in Roseville, CA
09-09-2010: Sent I-129f to TXS Lockbox
09-13-2010: NOA1 received
02-02-2011: NOA2 Notification Sent - Approved!!!
02-04-2011: NVC Received
02-09-2011: NVS sent to Vancouver consulate
02-14-2011: Received by Vancouver Consulate
02-15-2011: Packet 3 sent by Vancouver Consulate
02-18-2011: Packet 3 received
02-18-2011: Packet 3 sent back to consulate
02-19-2011: Interview date received!!! Letter on its way!
03-23-2011: Medical at Woking Clinic, Vancouver BC (AM)
03-23-2011: Interview at Vancouver Consulate (PM)
03-23-2011: APPROVED for K-1 Visa!!!! biggrin.png
04-27-2011: POE
05-03-2011: Sent AOS, AP applications
05-06-2011: NOA1 received for AOS and AP
05-06-2011: Applied for SSN. Application successful
05-09-2011: Received SSN by visiting local card center
05-10-2011: Biometrics appointment notice, June 1, 2011.
05-13-2011: Received SSN Card in Mail
06-01-2011: Biometrics appt. in Sacramento, CA
09-16-2011: EAD approved
09-26-2011: AOS Interview in Sacramento
09-26-2011: Green Card (2 yr conditional) granted

02-03-2013: Separated - Return to Canada

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I know that he wants to fix the problem, but If i recall the last time we let the government try to fix something it was a 2000+ page law and probably 10,000 + pages of new regulations and rules to implement it. So I sometimes wonder about letting the government FIX things. In corporate America solutions are found by thinking outside the box, But I think the rules are different in a government agency, DO NOT GO OUTSIDE THE BOX EVER. Did you see the flow chart for that 2000+ page law, It looks like a diagram for the circuit board that today's computers use LOL Now do I really want them to fix it.... YES it would be nice if they could really fix it. But I would be careful what I would wish for as we might get it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.