mspain

AOS- work and filing taxes

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline

My husband was working on a 3 month employment authorized stamp given to him at POE in his I-94. When we got married, I changed my tax info at work as married filing jointly. I thought his greencard would be here before the end of the year and I also didnt know that I couldnt file jointly with him until I did some reading up on the IRS website. How should I file? Should I contact my employer to change this info to married filing separately and/ or claim him as a dependent? How should he file for himself? Please help!

Our Timeline

Oct ~ 2007 We met

Apr 26, 2008 We got engaged

Jan 14, 2010 Left Spain alone to the US to work & begin immigration

Feb 11, 2010 Mailed our I-129F and received NOA1

May 05, 2010 NOA2

May 10, 2010 NVC Confirms receipt & that packet sent to Madrid today

May 14, 2010 Madrid receives case and I receive a job offer!!!

May 20, 2010 Packet 3 Received

May 24, 2010 Packet 3 Sent

Jun 14, 2010 Packet 4 Received

Jul 08, 2010 Flight to Spain to see my baby!

Jul 29, 2010 Return to US

Aug 09, 2010 Medical Exam

Aug 11, 2010 Interview in Madrid

Aug 12, 2010 My "interview" with Madrid

Aug 16, 2010 Put on AP

Sep 15, 2010 Flight home to me

Sep 17, 2010 Married!

Feb 04, 2010 Green Card Interview- Approved

event.png

If he has his SSN already you may file jointly. He doesn't have to have a green card for tax purposes.

My husband was working on a 3 month employment authorized stamp given to him at POE in his I-94. When we got married, I changed my tax info at work as married filing jointly. I thought his greencard would be here before the end of the year and I also didnt know that I couldnt file jointly with him until I did some reading up on the IRS website. How should I file? Should I contact my employer to change this info to married filing separately and/ or claim him as a dependent? How should he file for himself? Please help!

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

He doesn't have EAD or green card and hes working? That stamp is not authorized for K-1s to work with.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The temporary employment authorization stamp they give out at JFK is no longer valid for work authorization, and has not been since they changed the I-9 form in April, 2009. A K1 visa holder is eligible to apply for an employment authorization document, but it would expire when their I-94 expires. Given the amount of time it takes to process an EAD, it would likely be expired before it arrived. They become eligible to apply for an EAD again when they file their green card application.

Your husband is probably working without authorization.

Where did you read that you couldn't file a joint tax return?

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Other Timeline

Your husband is probably working without authorization.

Where did you read that you couldn't file a joint tax return?

1) Luckily,

working without authorization is not being made an issue of at AOS. He still has to pay taxes though.

2) It's okay to file a joint tax return as a married couple. Immigration, which is the gig of the USCIS, and taxes, which is the gig of the IRS, are two shoes of a pair that has mismatched colors.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As others have stated, your husband was/is working illegally, the stamp is NOT valid for a K1 to work. Luckily it is forgiven for him when he files AOS but if he's still working (without an EAD) he should stop because if he's caught he will get into trouble. While it's forgiven when AOS is approved, if he's caught before then he can get into trouble. He also needs to file taxes for it (if it meets the income barrier).

Why can't you file married jointly? He doesn't need a greencard to file taxes... maybe I'm missing something but we filed married joint for 2009 even though I didn't get my GC till July 2010, but I had a SSN. Apparently you can get an ITIN if he doesn't have an SSN yet but can you provide the link stating you can't file jointly?

You can't claim him as a dependent because he's your spouse (so people told me) but you will get some discounts or whatever (more money) because you supported him, at least my hubby and I did.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

1) Luckily,

working without authorization is not being made an issue of at AOS. He still has to pay taxes though.

Agreed.

2) It's okay to file a joint tax return as a married couple. Immigration, which is the gig of the USCIS, and taxes, which is the gig of the IRS, are two shoes of a pair that has mismatched colors.

Yeah, that's why I was wondering where she read that she couldn't file a joint tax return. She said she did some reading on the IRS website, and I'd like to see a link to that page. This scenario is covered in IRS publication 519, chapter 1:

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p519/ch01.html#en_US_publink1000222193

If, at the end of your tax year, you are married and one spouse is a U.S. citizen or a resident alien and the other spouse is a nonresident alien, you can choose to treat the nonresident spouse as a U.S. resident. This includes situations in which one spouse is a nonresident alien at the beginning of the tax year, but a resident alien at the end of the year, and the other spouse is a nonresident alien at the end of the year.

If you make this choice, you and your spouse are treated for income tax purposes as residents for your entire tax year. Neither you nor your spouse can claim under any tax treaty not to be a U.S. resident. You are both taxed on worldwide income. You must file a joint income tax return for the year you make the choice, but you and your spouse can file joint or separate returns in later years.

The only downside I see from this is that the foreign spouse's income for the entire year has to be declared, including foreign income. Maybe this is what's preventing her from filing a joint return. If they file separately, him as a non-resident alien, then he'd only have to declare his US income.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thread moved from AOS forum to Working and Travelling During US Immigration forum as a more appropriate location for this topic

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.