james&olya

Best, Worst, Most unexpected thing about FSU

313 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

My Alla exhibits none of these types of behaviors....maybe having a three year old around is the great equalizer?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My Alla exhibits none of these types of behaviors....maybe having a three year old around is the great equalizer?

Children have that affect, yes. I also think that if they were raised and received most, or all, of their education in the Soviet Union they have completely different personalities. Just a casual observation, I have no clinical data, strictly anecdotal.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

That's why we got a dog.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

if they were raised and received most, or all, of their education in the Soviet Union they have completely different personalities.

My wife did about half of hers in the Soviet Union. The other half was post-curtain lifting. Either way, I don't think it's necessarily an educational system thing since most of the other females I've spent significant time with don't act like they're four-years-old and throw tantrums.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

My wife did about half of hers in the Soviet Union. The other half was post-curtain lifting. Either way, I don't think it's necessarily an educational system thing since most of the other females I've spent significant time with don't act like they're four-years-old and throw tantrums.

Maybe. The later education years they were in the Komsomol which did a lot of "training" in what their "duties" were. They also got to do community service like being trucked out to farms as slave labor to pick crops and basically ruin their manicures. They also waited in long lines for most of their food, etc.

I just think that someone that went to a strict school program, then to Komsomol meetings, the come home to find a note telling her to go stand in line for A (one) lemon...has little tolerance for whiners.

This is not to say that yonger people have not had this impressed on them,some have.

Gary And Alla

That's why we got a dog.

:rofl:

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

There may be a point (somewhere above). Vika got most of her education post-Soviet, although she has memories of Soviet grade school. Ukraine changed alot after the breakup, and maybe that is why she adapted so easily.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

There may be a point (somewhere above). Vika got most of her education post-Soviet, although she has memories of Soviet grade school. Ukraine changed alot after the breakup, and maybe that is why she adapted so easily.

I am not sure school is so important as is the age they are when they finish it. There was a lot of pent up desire for "stuff" in the Soviet Union. But when markets first opened and at the same time the economy was in the dumper, a lot of people at the age of finishing school had been so long without these things that it was not so important to them to have them. Perhaps for the same reason I do not regard cell phones and internet as so indespensible as younger people. I am sure Pasha would go into convulsions and DIE if he did not have his cell phone in his hand for a few seconds. (he did not have a cell phone in Ukraine) :lol: Alla will leave hers on the kitchen table and forget all about it.

Just a theory. Then again it may be that children have more of an effect.

I think younger people grew up when these things were more available and there was more of a trend "me, me, me"

Gary And Alla

I think younger people grew up when these things were more available and there was more of a trend "me, me, me"

My wife didn't have "stuff" growing up but she's definitely all about "me, me, me" now!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

I might die if something happens to my cell, ipod or if i don't have internet access. I don't know if I'm all like "me, me, me", but at least I never heard anybody talking like that about me.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

I might die if something happens to my cell, ipod or if i don't have internet access. I don't know if I'm all like "me, me, me", but at least I never heard anybody talking like that about me.

I did not intend to say if you are "connected" you are selfish. Just that younger people place a different level of importance on things.

Alla came home two days ago with bags full of stuff from a clearance sale at "Bon Ton". Coats for the boys, (retail $225 on sale for $25) a quilt for Pasha's bed, sweaters for three friends in Ukraine. Nothing for her. "I don't need anything" She will always put her family before what she wants.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Gary and Alla, still it's not like "you're young, you have everything -> you're selfish". It's more like "you're young, you don't have kids, so you can enjoy yourself for a while".

Spending, sometimes the last money on your friends is actually more common for young people.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Gary and Alla, still it's not like "you're young, you have everything -> you're selfish". It's more like "you're young, you don't have kids, so you can enjoy yourself for a while".

Spending, sometimes the last money on your friends is actually more common for young people.

I think he was pointing out was that as you get older your priorities change. You'll see when you get older you won't want or do the same things anymore.

Timeline

I think he was pointing out was that as you get older your priorities change. You'll see when you get older you won't want or do the same things anymore.

Well sort of. I think everyone's priorities change with age, not necessarily because of culture.

What I saw is that the qualities often cited as the reason that American men are attracted to FSU women (besides their inate hotness) is that they are more, "traditional" women. They enjoy the women's role in a marriage, care for their family, etc. That quality just seems to be a lot more prevelent and strong in women raised in the Soviet Union, and by that I mean grew up and became adults in the Soviet Union. Not women that were 3 when the Soviet Union ended.

Young women then didn't think about "I am young and have no kids I will enjoy myself for a while" They thought "I am 20 years old and have no kids. WHY? I want children!" Like a lot of women at that time, my MIL was not married, didn't want to get married, but she wanted a child so she just found a likely "donor" and he "donated" until she was pregnant and then "thank you, goodbye". Soviet sperm bank. No father listed on the birth certificate. She continued her position as a civil engineer and did her duty to the motherland.

While it was a heady thing for a guy in his mid-fourties at the time to have the opportunity with smoking hot 22 year olds that I did, they did not seem to show the vaunted traditonal FSU qualities. FWIW there are plenty of smokin' hot 40's in the FSU. But if you are a younger American man, they aren't going to be too interested in you. Now, if I met a 23 year old FSU chick I would ask her to take me home...and introduce me to her mother.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Young women then didn't think about "I am young and have no kids I will enjoy myself for a while" They thought "I am 20 years old and have no kids. WHY? I want children!" Like a lot of women at that time, my MIL was not married, didn't want to get married, but she wanted a child so she just found a likely "donor" and he "donated" until she was pregnant and then "thank you, goodbye". Soviet sperm bank. No father listed on the birth certificate. She continued her position as a civil engineer and did her duty to the motherland.

That's not the rule, that's an exception. You can't be 100% sure about something, having seen just one example, which is not even a norm actually. Since FSU women are more "traditional", as you noted, it's not quite acceptable to have children before you're married. It's frowned upon espesially by the older generations. That's why abortion was such a common thing when USSR still existed. Traditional family doesn't mean "I want kids, I don't want the father", traditional family is a complete family. That's one of the reasons why FSU women avoid divorse as long as they can - they want their kids to have the father.

Edited by ONA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.