james&olya

Best, Worst, Most unexpected thing about FSU

313 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Try a different visa processing service. Let them supply the invitation for a small fee. You don't need to make a hotel reservation. You do not need insurance. I did not stay in a hotel, but in my fiancees' flat and used a tourist visa.

I used to use russia-visa.com.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

I have never been to Russia, but I am curious about the insurance and visa application process.

I read or heard somewhere (maybe here), that Russia makes the visa process for Americans as tough as America makes it for Russians. So if America adds ten questions and a second page to the application, Russia will do the same, also claiming security issues, etc.

In Ukraine, there is apparently no mechanism at all to bill insurance in most cities. We have met two American expats (in Odessa and Kherson) who required fairly extensive treatment for injuries. The one in Odessa had no way to pay for anything, and payment was never discussed. The other, in Kherson, paid a very low fee as he went through weeks of physical therapy. I wonder if the healthcare system in Russia is also social-esque, and the main concern (as in America), is that tourists do not become hospital patients at Russian taxpayer expense.

Thoughts?

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

I read or heard somewhere (maybe here), that Russia makes the visa process for Americans as tough as America makes it for Russians. So if America adds ten questions and a second page to the application, Russia will do the same, also claiming security issues, etc.

The questions are sort of the same, I think that Russian application is a bit shorter with fewer questions though. Also, when the US embassy raises visa fees, Russian embassy does the same.

The difference is that most of applicants from Russia have to go through an interview in the consulate to obtain their visa (nearly all of those, who are getting it for the 1st time), while Americans are usually not required to do that. Also American tourist visa is granted for 1-2 years and it's a multiple entry visa (you can spend in the US up to 6 months at a time), while a regular Russian tourist visa is a single entry visa and it's granted for the specific period of time (you are supposed to indicate the dates of your planned arrival and departure in the visa application), and if you want a multiple entry visa you also have to specify it and give a proper reason for it.

In Ukraine, there is apparently no mechanism at all to bill insurance in most cities. We have met two American expats (in Odessa and Kherson) who required fairly extensive treatment for injuries. The one in Odessa had no way to pay for anything, and payment was never discussed. The other, in Kherson, paid a very low fee as he went through weeks of physical therapy. I wonder if the healthcare system in Russia is also social-esque, and the main concern (as in America), is that tourists do not become hospital patients at Russian taxpayer expense.

Well, explaining how healthcare works in Russia can take quite a while... You can have a look at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Russia or some other links http://www.allianzworldwidecare.com/healthcare-in-russia

Russian people are not concerned about paying for somebody else's healthcare for reasons like

- different mentality

- very low taxes

Still, I don't think there's a way a tourist can use a state clinic in Russia (unless he bribes somebody, but then... well, it's not for tax payers expense), and state insurance is pretty much for Russian citizens, a foreigner will have to go to a private clinic. A lot of Russian people would go to private clinics too to get better treatment.

Edited by ONA

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Well, explaining how healthcare works in Russia can take quite a while... You can have a look at wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_Russia or some other links http://www.allianzworldwidecare.com/healthcare-in-russia

Russian people are not concerned about paying for somebody else's healthcare for reasons like

- different mentality

- very low taxes

Still, I don't think there's a way a tourist can use a state clinic in Russia (unless he bribes somebody, but then... well, it's not for tax payers expense), and state insurance is pretty much for Russian citizens, a foreigner will have to go to a private clinic. A lot of Russian people would go to private clinics too to get better treatment.

Thanks for the links ONA, I have been wondering about this for some time (purely as an exercise, as I have no plans to visit Russia soon). Let me ask a follow up question here. If a foreigner were to get hurt while on a valid visa in Russia (say, break a limb), and had no money to go to a private clinic, what happens if they cannot visit a free clinic or use foreign insurance to pay?

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Try a different visa processing service. Let them supply the invitation for a small fee. You don't need to make a hotel reservation. You do not need insurance. I did not stay in a hotel, but in my fiancees' flat and used a tourist visa.

I used to use russia-visa.com.

I think I found the link to Travisa on the russian embassy web-site. Figured I ought to use that to avoid problems. (Somebody probably makes a little extra money this way? :unsure: ) It is good to know that I don't have to jump through as many hoops for the visa. I still have one more trip planned, to bring Olya and the kids here! I am sure we will make many future trips there as well. :yes:

Edited by james&olya

Timeline

Thanks for the links ONA, I have been wondering about this for some time (purely as an exercise, as I have no plans to visit Russia soon). Let me ask a follow up question here. If a foreigner were to get hurt while on a valid visa in Russia (say, break a limb), and had no money to go to a private clinic, what happens if they cannot visit a free clinic or use foreign insurance to pay?

I actually had to google some information on that question. Found a link in Russian (http://oneworld.bstu.ru/article/?id=1023) that at least since 2005 the emergency treatment is provided for free, anything other then that has to be paid for.

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Also regarding insurance, if you're going to a city that has a fair amount of expats--St. Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev--the expensive Western-style clinics will probably take your insurance. I have blue cross/blue shield, and it's accepted at those fancy places.

Первый блин комом.

Also regarding insurance, if you're going to a city that has a fair amount of expats--St. Petersburg, Moscow, Kiev--the expensive Western-style clinics will probably take your insurance. I have blue cross/blue shield, and it's accepted at those fancy places.

That is great news! I suppose before one visits SP or Moscow, it would be a good idea to search for those places on the web :thumbs:

Edited by Brad and Vika

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Re: insurance-- I had to pay for two policies when I was on a work visa in Jordan for the differing field seasons with some international company-- it was $100 and covered just about everything (accidents, illness, parasites, etc). I know it listed Russia as a place that accepted it in varying places, but not going there I wasnt concerned to figure it out. Point being, there are options like that as well.

None of my posts have ever been helpful. Be forewarned.

My wife has always told me you don't go to the "free" hospitals for medical care. You pay the good ones.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife has always told me you don't go to the "free" hospitals for medical care. You pay the good ones.

every time we've had to call skoraya pomosh', though, it's always ended up ok. All of my friends are still in one piece.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

every time we've had to call skoraya pomosh', though, it's always ended up ok. All of my friends are still in one piece.

Traumatic injuries are pretty basic to fix so it's hard for them to mess that up - even while they're drunk. (I'll never forget the guys hanging out the side of the ambulance in Moscow singing and waving their bottles of beer. "Uh... that's an ambulance. Man, we better be careful.")

If you fall and break your arm or something you're probably OK going to the clinic. But, if you have something requiring "further tests" you should probably pay someone who's motivated to help you.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Yes, this. And even the good hospitals/clinics are WAY cheaper than what you'll pay here.

“Insist on yourself; never imitate. Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life’s cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another, you have only an extemporaneous half-possession. That which each can do best, none but his Maker can teach him.” — Emerson

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.