james&olya

Best, Worst, Most unexpected thing about FSU

313 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was also surprised at how beautiful and classy ALL of the women were in Russia. They all wore high heels, even in brutal weather.

I was shocked at how cold it was. I knew it would be cold, but i wasn't really prepared for -20 degree weather.

The trains look like they are from the 1800's.

The motorists drive like maniacs.

The apartment complexes don't look great from the outside, but i agree with Gary on the fact that, on the inside, the places look amazing.

Lots and lots of stares, and i'm not talking brief stares. I'm talking 2 straight minutes of staring without looking in another direction. Has to be expected though, seeing as though i was one of only a handful of black guys in town, and they were most likely very curious.

The slippers. I wasn't used to having warm slippers waiting for me when i walk into someone's door. This was strange at first, but i thought it was pretty cool.

Besides the language barrier (which i'm still working on now), and the cold weather, i loved Russia. I will consider moving there one day when my Russian language is up to par.

Timeline

Probably another best would be the hospitality of the people I met. Usually you were met with much food that had been prepared all day long and was incredibly delicious. Then the men were sure to make a few toasts and shots of Vodka for your welcome. :thumbs:

Forgot about this part. The amount of food that was prepared was strange. My fiance cooked me dinner....i mean enough food that could feed an entire family, but for some reason she was expecting me to eat it all myself? All of the families we visited did the same thing. They cooked a bunch of food, and expected all of it to be eaten. They think it's very bad to waste food in Russia. It's an offensive act.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Lots and lots of stares, and i'm not talking brief stares. I'm talking 2 straight minutes of staring without looking in another direction. Has to be expected though, seeing as though i was one of only a handful of black guys in town, and they were most likely very curious.

That's probably more about people being curious, because actually staring is quite an impolite thing in Russia. Even if a Russian person can't help staring they would turn away if they realize that you noticed them staring at you. That's considered to be the polite thing to do. Even if 2 people make eye contact in the street they don't smile like Americans do, they turn their heads and look in another direction... which makes foreigners think that we never smile :lol:

The slippers. I wasn't used to having warm slippers waiting for me when i walk into someone's door. This was strange at first, but i thought it was pretty cool.

:lol: when my fiance comes to Russia, he keeps forgetting about slippers and my mom always makes him wear them :lol:

Forgot about this part. The amount of food that was prepared was strange. My fiance cooked me dinner....i mean enough food that could feed an entire family, but for some reason she was expecting me to eat it all myself? All of the families we visited did the same thing. They cooked a bunch of food, and expected all of it to be eaten. They think it's very bad to waste food in Russia. It's an offensive act.

In Russia when you have somebody over for dinner and you see that they have finished their plate, you have to ask them if they want more, again - if you want to be polite. It's OK to say "no, thank you", even if you're asked 7 more times after that. It's not like the host is trying to make you eat everything, it's just that they are trying to be nice. It's a cultural thing also. In fact a Russian person would rarely say "yes" right away, even if they are hungry, so Russians keep offering some more food. It's not bad having some leftovers. Actually, having nothing left on your plate is like a signal that you're still hungry and you probably want more.

Things are even worse in countries like Georgia, Armenia or Azerbaijan - people there seem to be too hospitable even for Russians.

Edited by ONA

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

:rofl:

Yes it is a major bad deed to waste food, seriously. Alla WILL NOT throw food in the trash. If it is inedible for us, it gets put outside for animals, someone or SOMETHING is going to eat it.

When we go out for walks in Donetsk, Alla will go throw the refrigerator and find leftovers she no longer wants, and puts them in a bag and takes them with us. There is always "someone who has none" on the street and she gives them the food. No kidding. Such is the culture in a country where not long ago millions of people died for lack of food.

Yet, as you note, they go all out for their guests. Why cook for 4 when you can cook for 40?

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I was fortunate to be the guest at Lena's bosses home in October. I experienced a traditional Russian meal and celebration. The food, blini with premium caviar, sala, pelmeni, purreh and of course vodka always followed by more servings of delicious fare. I know very little Russian but as the evening progressed, communicating with friends became easier. Very memorable.

September 7, 2009 - met Lena online
October 20, 2010 - First Meeting in Kharkov
Oct 20, 2010 - Engaged
December 3, 2010 - Filed I-129F
December 16, 2010 - NOA-1 notification
December 30, 2010 - Second Visit to Kharkov
February 8, 2011 - Touched
April 18, 2011 - NOA-2 notification
April 18, 2011 - Petition at NVC
April 25, 2011 - Medical Exam
April 26, 2011 - Received at Embassy
April 27, 28, 29, 2011 - Repeat medical (passed medical)
May 5, 2011 - Packet #4 received by mail in Ukraine
June 17, 2011 - Interview scheduled 9:00 AM
June 17, 2011 - Visa approved
June 18, 2011 - Interview Review posted
July 11, 2011 - POE - Detroit
July 17, 2011 - Applied for Marriage License
July 17, 2011 - Applied for SSN
August 17, 2011 - Married in Russian Orthodox Church - Detroit
November 11, 2011 - Submitted AOS/EAD/AP
January 3, 2012 - NOA 1
February 7, 2012 - Still no Biometrics appointment
February 10, 2012 - Service Request - no Biometrics appointment to date
February 29, 2012 - Infopass appointment Detroit (no Biometrics appointment letter - over 40 days)
March 9, 2012 - Biometrics
March 12, 2012 - EAD card production email received
March 23, 2012 - EAD received
March 24, 2012 - AOS interview appointment for April 24, 2012 (Detroit)
April 24, 2012 - AOS approved!
May 2, 2012 - 2 year provisional Green Card received
June 2, 2012 - First job - Russian Kindergarden in Oak Park, Michigan

Feb 5, 2014 - I-751 sent

Sept 19, 2014 - RFE

Nov 3, 2014 - Case moved to Detroit Field Office

Dec 29, 2014 - ROC Interview - Detroit Field Office

Feb 16, 2015 - I-751 approved after 2nd interview

Feb 18, 2015 - I 551 stamp in passport

Mar 5, 2015 - 10 year Permanent Resident Status

slim's wife's Valentines

Otherwise known as Monday.

I was also surprised at how beautiful and classy ALL of the women were in Russia. They all wore high heels, even in brutal weather.

It has to be seen to be believed. I know telling people "dude, they're ALL hot." only carries so much weight. Not until you've actually been there can you truly appreciate the natural beauty and confirm, "yes, even the not so attractive ones are still in pretty good shape."

i was one of only a handful of black guys in town,

For many Russians, I'm sure seeing you is like that scene in Robin Hood when the little girl asks Morgan Freeman, "did God paint you?"

Your house will have some soon enough!

when my Russian language is up to par.

I recommend Pimsleur. For me, it's been the best and easiest way to learn the language. When I went to Moscow I didn't speak a lot of Russian, but the Russian I spoke was easily understood and one young lady (not my fiancee....) said, "You have NO accent. Can you speak to me some more?" If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is!

The Lonely Planet Russian Phrasebook is a great buy. Good for little nuances in addition to the language. Fits nicely into a cargo pocket. Good hard copy compliment to your Pimsleur discs.

Also, my other language tip is buy some childrens books (in Russian) and make little post-it notes all around your house for things like the door, light switch, forks, etc. It'll give you practice writing in Russian (do it in English too that way she can use them when she arrives) and it'll force you to memorize some basic words. "First Thousand Words in Russian" is one of the better picture books I bought.

she was expecting me to eat it all myself?

See, what they do is make enough so when they're really drunk later, they still have something to eat. I don't know how many times I've seen my wife and her buddies kill some leftovers after they've killed all the vodka. It's like they know they're going to want to eat something after they're pissy drunk.

I know very little Russian but as the evening progressed

My mother asked my wife once if she could understand me when I spoke Russian to her. She said, "he speak Russian OK. He speak Russian VERY GOOD when he drunk." Thanks, dear.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I am reading this thread with a big grin at the experiences. Just went through the shark episode in DR like Slim and can relate to a lot of the things mentioned.

The best - walks in the parks, cafes, lounges, warm people, and my girl.

The worst - the mattresses, and renting an apartment on the second floor across the street from a churches belltower.

Unexpected - have to agree on the inside of the apartments compared to the outsides, the food was unexpectedly good, and every car is a taxi.

PS You guys are starting to scare me with the hot tempers and the thought my solnishkos redecorating ;)

And yea, I would definitely live there if I could find good work.

Edited by alex330

Timeline

I am reading this thread with a big grin at the experiences. Just went through the shark episode in DR like Slim and can relate to a lot of the things mentioned.

The best - walks in the parks, cafes, lounges, warm people, and my girl.

The worst - the mattresses, and renting an apartment on the second floor across the street from a churches belltower.

Unexpected - have to agree on the inside of the apartments compared to the outsides, the food was unexpectedly good, and every car is a taxi.

PS You guys are starting to scare me with the hot tempers and the thought my solnishkos redecorating ;)

And yea, I would definitely live there if I could find good work.

The car/taxi thing took some getting used. I found that you could basically approach just about anyone with a car and they would give you a ride for a small fee. Stay away from people driving Mercedes and such. They do not need your money. The doctor driving a Lada and making more on the side giving rides than being a doctor...he needs your money.

Our good friend there decided to buy a car and he did it in the Ukrainian treadition. Borrow small sums of money from all your friends then make extra money driving people places in your car and pay back your friends. Friends always loan friends money and they always get paid back.

Your wife will no doubt redecorate. I just cut to the chase, remodled the whole house and left all the walls primed white and nothing on the windows. That is how she wanted it, but when she saw it she was a bit dismayed at how "bare" it was. It was a big job for her to choose everything and she discovered that it doesn;t all get done in one or two days. :lol:

In the American tradition, we fixed the place up...then sold it and moved. :lol: Now we are re-doing the second house which Alla has come to call "homeowning". "I am at Lowe's" What are you doing at Lowe's? "Homeowning"

Gary And Alla

Timeline

I can't speak for others but Alla does not have what I would call a "hot temper" Not at all. She very much prefers a quiet life and our time together is really very pleasant. There is no where I would rather be, except maybe shooting and then she usually can come with me.

She WILL let me know if she is upset with something. She is very "blunt", straight-forward and NO BULLSH*T. Basically if a dress makes you look fat, so to speak, she will say "that makes you look fat".

DO NOT ask them questions you do not know the answer to already. :lol:

If she asks you if you think she is beautiful "YES of course!" If you ask her if you are handsome, you will get something like..."Not really. You are just normal, which is not bad. You do not look like a crocodile or something. But I don't care about that anyway because as a husband, a father and a man you are GOLD" So deal with it. :blush:

You will leanr her "things" and just go with it. Slippers in the house for example. Better to wear the slippers than get the lecture on how she has to clean the floors and do you think it is fair, etc.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

You will need slippers for sure. A few weeks ago I got caught walking through the house with my regular street shoes on. Now when she comes down stairs in the morning instead of looking me in the eyes with that loving look, first thing she does is look down at what is on my feet.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The car/taxi thing took some getting used. I found that you could basically approach just about anyone with a car and they would give you a ride for a small fee. Stay away from people driving Mercedes and such. They do not need your money. The doctor driving a Lada and making more on the side giving rides than being a doctor...he needs your money.

Your wife will no doubt redecorate. I just cut to the chase, remodled the whole house and left all the walls primed white and nothing on the windows.

Yea, I noticed you do not hold out your hand for the Mercedes, and the rates varied depending on the direction the driver was heading. I could never figure out if it was a luck or convenience thing.

Great idea on priming everything white to start. Gives something to do together when she arrives.

The slippers I can get used to. It is warm down here so flip flops or barefoot is the way to go inside.

The slippers I can get used to. It is warm down here so flip flops or barefoot is the way to go inside.

I guess my wife just americanized a little. She is OK with us walking around in shoes or barefoot (on the same floor), although she wears slippers sometimes if her feet are cold. She is also ok (now) with air conditioning, fans, etc. She sometimes uses containers for food, as we compromised and got some glass bowls with lids. There does seem to be a weird relationship between the stinkiness of the food and her leaving it uncovered though. Can't figure it. :wacko:

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

You will need slippers for sure. A few weeks ago I got caught walking through the house with my regular street shoes on. Now when she comes down stairs in the morning instead of looking me in the eyes with that loving look, first thing she does is look down at what is on my feet.

Ohhh, busted.....

I took two steps in the front door to grab something out of the closet without taking my shoes off. "####### you doing??" err..

11/13/2009 -- Mailed I-129F

11/17/2009 -- Received NOA 1

02/10/2010 -- NOA 2 Mailed

02/16/2010 -- NOA 2 Received (via email)

02/19/2010 -- Petition forwarded to Moscow

04/23/2010 -- Scheduled Interview - SUCCESS

07/20/2010 -- Entrance to USA POE Anchorage

08/21/2010 -- Wedding

11/04/2010 -- Mailed AOS

01/25/2011 -- AOS Interview - SUCCESS

Member of the RUB group, where high horses meet low brows.

You guys are starting to scare me with the hot tempers

You may not know until several months in.

Alla does not have what I would call a "hot temper"

If Alla is not a "hot temper" and we related that to, say, ketchup, my wife would be the green habanero sauce that says, "hell fire" on the side.

I took two steps in the front door to grab something out of the closet without taking my shoes off. "####### you doing??" err..

I caught my wife wearing her shoes on the carpet yesterday. Just to make the point, I immediately went and walked on the carpet with mine too. I looked at her, looked down at her shoes, then looked at her again and then looked at my shoes... and then just smiled!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

[quote name='slim' timestamp='1297701572' post='4476657'

If Alla is not a "hot temper" and we related that to, say, ketchup, my wife would be the green habanero sauce that says, "hell fire" on the side.

Alla says that Russian women are more "hot tempered" than Ukrainians, in my experience that is true also, but then she also says she is Russian, not Ukrainian...sometimes. I get a lecture for wearing shoes in the house, about germs and such and about who has to wash the floors, etc. She doesn't get angry. Best just to avoid it. She just rarely gets "angry", except once I never heard her say "bad words" and those were directed at some woman that nearly crashed her car into Alla, but on that occasion she let rip with the nastiest Russian diatribe you ever want to hear! So it IS in there, just buried very deep. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.