james&olya

Best, Worst, Most unexpected thing about FSU

313 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

My wife has become Americanized in a few ways which has been surprising to me. The air conditioner which used to "cause colds, swollen tonsels, ear pain, etc." is now an essential...she loves the room cold just like I do. The bigger shocker...she now puts ice in her drinks and drinks diet coke and other sodas! As to the shoe thing...she was never obsessive on that. She wears slippers herself most of the time and offers to take my shoes off if my feet are hot. As far as temper...she's the easiest person to get along with that I've ever known...we've had a total of 3 arguments (including minor things) in the last 4 years. That said...when she goes off, she really goes off and I know every single thing I have ever done wrong (or that she is worried I will do wrong in the future)! lol

As far as the OT goes, one thing I was surprised about was how affordable taxis were in Lviv. Not only that, but if my wife told them we would be back, they would sit and wait like 30 mins without charging extra, stop after stop, even when we hadn't paid them yet! So basically we'd have a taxi at our service all day on the cheap. I do recall once though where the guy said he was starting to get nervous whether or not we were actually coming back after we had been to 4 or 5 stops.

The Lviv Opera house was surprising on how affordable it was. My wife is an opera fanatic so we saw about everything available.

I had the same experience with apartments....my wife rented a high end one for us to stay at when we were getting married. I lugged our suitcases up 3 flights of ancient dusty cement stairs...it reminded me of some sort of slum. Then once the door opened, my jaw dropped...ultra modern apartment, fully furnished, jacuzzi tub, big flatscreen tv, several nice bathrooms and bedrooms. It was nicer than most condos I've stayed at on vacation.

My wife took me out for milkshakes. It was literally like frothed up milk...definately not like back in the States! My wife freaked out when she had a real shake here.

At the time when I was there, I thought all of the food was extremely cheap. We would order huge meals for like $20. Sounds like that has changed a lot though since then with prices going up all over the place.

I was really impressed with the architecture in Lviv. Pretty much every building had something special about it...statues, etc. That reminds me...anyone else seen the travel ads for Ukraine on TV lately? First time I've ever seen them.

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Alla says that Russian women are more "hot tempered" than Ukrainians, in my experience that is true also, but then she also says she is Russian, not Ukrainian...sometimes. I get a lecture for wearing shoes in the house, about germs and such and about who has to wash the floors, etc. She doesn't get angry. Best just to avoid it. She just rarely gets "angry", except once I never heard her say "bad words" and those were directed at some woman that nearly crashed her car into Alla, but on that occasion she let rip with the nastiest Russian diatribe you ever want to hear! So it IS in there, just buried very deep. :lol:

My wife described herself in her profile as "emotional". Stupid me....How did I know that really means " hot tempered and the slightest thing will set me off and then I will make your life miserable"?

Some days she is really up, and some days she is down. To be honest I think she is actually bipolar.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

...we've had a total of 3 arguments (including minor things) in the last 4 years. That said...when she goes off, she really goes off and I know every single thing I have ever done wrong

She shared one of those 3 arguments with us, as I recall.

Some days she is really up, and some days she is down. To be honest I think she is actually bipolar.

Google "PMDD" and see if that rings any bells.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

She shared one of those 3 arguments with us, as I recall.

That is correct! And it was a doozie! hahaha Quickest 10 pages of posts ever I think! ;)

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Timeline

Google "PMDD" and see if that rings any bells.

Yea, I'm sure she has that too, but these bipolar ups and downs occur every week or two.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

That's probably more about people being curious, because actually staring is quite an impolite thing in Russia. Even if a Russian person can't help staring they would turn away if they realize that you noticed them staring at you. That's considered to be the polite thing to do. Even if 2 people make eye contact in the street they don't smile like Americans do, they turn their heads and look in another direction... which makes foreigners think that we never smile :lol:

When i was being stared at, i turned and looked back, but they didn't look away. I agree that they were most likely very curious though. I've had quite a few people approach me and ask for pictures lol.

In Russia when you have somebody over for dinner and you see that they have finished their plate, you have to ask them if they want more, again - if you want to be polite. It's OK to say "no, thank you", even if you're asked 7 more times after that. It's not like the host is trying to make you eat everything, it's just that they are trying to be nice. It's a cultural thing also. In fact a Russian person would rarely say "yes" right away, even if they are hungry, so Russians keep offering some more food. It's not bad having some leftovers. Actually, having nothing left on your plate is like a signal that you're still hungry and you probably want more.

Ahh, i see. Thank you for explaining that. And what about the dessert? Only a few short minutes after having the meal, i was being brought cakes with tea lol. I guess most people do have their dessert shortly after a meal, but i usually have to wait a few hours before i'm ready for that.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I recommend Pimsleur. For me, it's been the best and easiest way to learn the language. When I went to Moscow I didn't speak a lot of Russian, but the Russian I spoke was easily understood and one young lady (not my fiancee....) said, "You have NO accent. Can you speak to me some more?" If that's not an endorsement, I don't know what is!

The Lonely Planet Russian Phrasebook is a great buy. Good for little nuances in addition to the language. Fits nicely into a cargo pocket. Good hard copy compliment to your Pimsleur discs.

Also, my other language tip is buy some childrens books (in Russian) and make little post-it notes all around your house for things like the door, light switch, forks, etc. It'll give you practice writing in Russian (do it in English too that way she can use them when she arrives) and it'll force you to memorize some basic words. "First Thousand Words in Russian" is one of the better picture books I bought.

Thank you for these recommendations! I am going to look into all of these things that you mentioned. Thanks again!

At the time when I was there, I thought all of the food was extremely cheap. We would order huge meals for like $20. Sounds like that has changed a lot though since then with prices going up all over the place.

I was really impressed with the architecture in Lviv. Pretty much every building had something special about it...statues, etc. That reminds me...anyone else seen the travel ads for Ukraine on TV lately? First time I've ever seen them.

We spend a fair amount of time in Odessa, and the prices do seem to be catching up, although there are lots of empty tables at peak times now, with the economic troubles. In Kherson though, we can usually have a great meal for $25.

We both love the atmosphere in Lviv/Lvov. I remember the pensioners gathered together singing in the central square on Sunday, and hearing that as a backdrop to the scenery. Pretty cool.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

Timeline

When i was being stared at, i turned and looked back, but they didn't look away. I agree that they were most likely very curious though. I've had quite a few people approach me and ask for pictures lol.

there are some students from African countries who make money that way - they go to some Black Sea resorts and offer people to have pictures taken. :lol: Although it only works in the places, where very few people from different countries go.

Ahh, i see. Thank you for explaining that. And what about the dessert? Only a few short minutes after having the meal, i was being brought cakes with tea lol. I guess most people do have their dessert shortly after a meal, but i usually have to wait a few hours before i'm ready for that.

No problem. That's a very interesting thread - makes me see my culture through the eyes of American people.

As for dessert, you don't have to have it right away. Though the best option can be trying a little bit of it, saying how much you like it and promising that you will definitely eat some more later, as soon as you start feeling hungry :)

And one more tip about food - when somebody is making a plate for you, you can actually tell them when it's enough. That way there is a chance that you won't end up with too much food on your plate :) Just a chance though, no guarantee :lol:

Вiрити нiкому не можна. Hавiть собi. Менi - можна ©

Timeline

We spend a fair amount of time in Odessa, and the prices do seem to be catching up, although there are lots of empty tables at peak times now, with the economic troubles. In Kherson though, we can usually have a great meal for $25.

We both love the atmosphere in Lviv/Lvov. I remember the pensioners gathered together singing in the central square on Sunday, and hearing that as a backdrop to the scenery. Pretty cool.

I've never gotten to tour Ukraine properly. All my time has been in the winter and in Lviv with just a couple days in Kyiv when we were doing visa stuff. Would love to go back and see Odessa and some of the other cities.

We got married just a couple blocks from that central square..Oleksandra's apartment where she lived her whole life is very nearby as well. Lviv's mayor is really pushing to make the city a tourist haven. My wife said there were huge changes in that regard in just a few years...constant festivals going on every week and lots of souvenir/tourist shops now. They also don't allow traffic into many of the areas now. One of these days I'm going to get to go back when it's warm!

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Timeline

My wife described herself in her profile as "emotional". Stupid me....How did I know that really means " hot tempered and the slightest thing will set me off and then I will make your life miserable"?

I never had a profile to go on. :lol:

I can't say we have had only four arguments, including little things :wow: But we have a pretty quiet relationship. And yes, I know if I do something "bad" right away.

Alla has her emotional moods and periods, definitely hormone related and repetitive. But her form of PMS is to be very clingy and "needy", not angry. She can get her feelings hurt easily during this period.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Yea, I'm sure she has that too, but these bipolar ups and downs occur every week or two.

Same here. I just pretend it doesn't happen. "Yeah, that's my crazy wife. Leave her alone, she'll be alright in a little bit."

Over the years I've learned when she gets in those moods to just do my own thing - alone! "I'll be out in the garage."

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Same here. I just pretend it doesn't happen. "Yeah, that's my crazy wife. Leave her alone, she'll be alright in a little bit."

Over the years I've learned when she gets in those moods to just do my own thing - alone! "I'll be out in the garage."

That's the one downside to my wife. When she DOES get in that mood and the switch is flipped...there is NO escape!!! Attempting to leave to allow her to cool down is NOT an option and only brings more hornets out of the nest! hahaha It's like her total opposite evil twin suddenly appears...she IS a Gemini so I guess that makes sense.

Wife's visa journey:

MIL's visa journey:

Timeline

That's the one downside to my wife. When she DOES get in that mood and the switch is flipped...there is NO escape!!! Attempting to leave to allow her to cool down is NOT an option and only brings more hornets out of the nest! hahaha It's like her total opposite evil twin suddenly appears...she IS a Gemini so I guess that makes sense.

Same exact situation here.......and my wife is also a Gemini. But I am dealing with it at least twice a month!

If I can stay out of her way for long enough my wife usually takes off to meet up with friends or whatever. I'm safe once she leaves the house.

Same exact situation here.......and my wife is also a Gemini. But I am dealing with it at least twice a month!

It's likely it'll appear more than once per month. There's fluctuation throughout the month with the peaks being just before her period and around ovulation. One of the sites I was reading said two was the minimum. :wow: UGgggggghhhhh! :help:

My wife is an aquarius and I don't buy into all that astrological mumbo-jumbo. She checks the moon and stars and all that other ####### to make sure "universe is good for_______." I figure by now all that stuff should've worked out. It hasn't.

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.