Natashia

Can we extend I-94 expiration?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

I have entered US via K1 visa with my son on K2 visa. We have satisfied the 90 days condition to marry already. Our I-94 will expire this December, next week. Is it possible for us to extend our I-94 since we've planned to apply for Adjustment of Status a month after the visa's expiration. Need some help. Thank you. God bless.

Hi,

I have entered US via K1 visa with my son on K2 visa. We have satisfied the 90 days condition to marry already. Our I-94 will expire this December, next week. Is it possible for us to extend our I-94 since we've planned to apply for Adjustment of Status a month after the visa's expiration. Need some help. Thank you. God bless.

there is no need to extend it. you can go ahead and apply for AOS with the expired i-94. the form as far as your K1 application is concerned only matters if for instance you did not marry and you decided to stay (illegaly), among other reasons.

seeing though that it's going to expire, i hope you already applied for an SSN, as this will not be possible if you do it after its expiration (you then have to wait til you get your GC)

good luck and god bless. :)

I-129F, AOS, ROC

02-11-2008 Sent out I -129F in mail

02-13-2008 NOA 1

03-14-2008 NOA 2

04-07-2008 Medical exam passed

04-25-2008 Interview, visa aproved, no RFEs!

04-25-2008 Waiting for DELBROS/NSO

05-07-2008 Visa on hand ! Wow, less than 3 months! Thank you Lord!

05-26-2008 POE Detroit, no problems, thank God!

07-01-2008 Married 07-01-08, civil, just us w/ his parents

07-16-2008 Mailed out AOS package

07-19-2008 wedding ceremony

08-19-2008 biometrics appointment

08-25-2008 i-485 touched

09-23-2008 i-485 touched

09-30-2008 i-131 approval notice THANK YOU LORD!!!!

10-04-2008 Received my EAD

10-06-2008 Received my AP...yehey, i can go back to Phil for xmas!

11-14-2008 DMV driving test-passed! thank you Lord!

11-18-2008 Received RI driver's license

11-30-2008 Went home to PHILs for the holidays

12-21-2008 Church wedding!

01-08-2009 AOS Approved! thank you Lord! no interview required!

01-16-2009 Received GC in mail

09-02-2010 Sent out application for ROC

09-08-2010 Received NOA1

09-10-2010 Received Biometrics Notice

10-06-2010 Biometrics

12-06-2010 Approved! Thank you Lord God!

12-11-2010 Received NOA2 and 10-yr GC in the mail =)

N-400

10-03-2011 Sent N-400

10-07-2011 NOA1 date

10-25-2011 Biometrics

12-02-2011 Civics Test/Interview (passed)

04-09-2012 Oathtaking (got my little USA flag and souvenir photo!)

Matthew at 1yr

DSCF6924-2.jpg[/img]

Don't worry, you can apply for AOS any time, even after your I-94 expires. You already met the requirement of a K1 visa holder, and that is to get married within 90 days of arrival in the US.

Hi,

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

** moved from "K1 Process & Procedures" to "General Immigration" as this is not a qn about the K1 process (or AOS for that matter) **

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Timeline

there is no need to extend it. you can go ahead and apply for AOS with the expired i-94. the form as far as your K1 application is concerned only matters if for instance you did not marry and you decided to stay (illegaly), among other reasons.

seeing though that it's going to expire, i hope you already applied for an SSN, as this will not be possible if you do it after its expiration (you then have to wait til you get your GC)

Thanks... you're answer is really helpful for me to get better sleeps at night. I have already applied for an SSN after marriage but it's almost a month that I haven't received the card.

Timeline

Don't worry, you can apply for AOS any time, even after your I-94 expires. You already met the requirement of a K1 visa holder, and that is to get married within 90 days of arrival in the US.

Thank you. I am happy to hear that. Would there be no issues or problem if I submit the expired I-94 in the AOS application?

Nope.

Thank you. I am happy to hear that. Would there be no issues or problem if I submit the expired I-94 in the AOS application?

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Other Timeline

The U.S. is full of idiots, and one idiot who's working for the US Government simply assumed everybody who entered the US with a K-1 and got married within the allowed 90-day time frame would file for AOS as quickly as possible anyway, so they actually "forgot" to enter a date by which AOS would have to be filed. Sounds crazy? Sure does. Welcome to America!

The worst that can happen is that if you file after the I-94 is expired, they will request an I-130 petition which is what every non-K-1 who files for AOS would have to submit as well, but it's not very likely.

In English: don't waste any time trying to extend the I-94.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The U.S. is full of idiots, and one idiot who's working for the US Government simply assumed everybody who entered the US with a K-1 and got married within the allowed 90-day time frame would file for AOS as quickly as possible anyway, so they actually "forgot" to enter a date by which AOS would have to be filed. Sounds crazy? Sure does. Welcome to America!

Perhaps.

I suspect that Congress intentionally did not impose a time limit for AOS for K1's, though. It would cause a conflict with INA 245(c ). If they said you had to submit the AOS within X days of entering with a K1 then people who didn't file under the wire would simply send an I-130 with their AOS petition because 245(c ) makes them eligible, and prevents USCIS from using the overstay against them.

Indirectly, Congress imposed a 2 year limit on AOS for K1's with INA 245(d), which only permits K1's to adjust to conditional permanent resident under INA 216. However, K1's who aren't eligible to adjust based on the K1 because of 245(d) can still adjust under 245(c ) by sending an I-130.

The US is certainly full of idiots, though. They make their presence known every two years on November 2nd. :blush:

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

an advice..if you don't need any SS# for any documents at the meantime,just apply whenever you have your greencard or EAD card so that you can have your married name with your husband's surname on the card...it differs in every state but here in Cali, they didn't allow me to use my husband's last name even if I showed them our marriage certificate, the officer said, I need to adjust status first then I can just come to apply...as for us,I applied for SSN card coz my husband needs my SS# for him to be able to add me on his health insurance and bank account...but they just issued me a SSN card with my maiden name..I will just have to file for a change of name when I have my GC...God bless!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

* K1 Journey

2009-12-09 -met online

2009-23-09 -became a couple(was so happy:)

2010-21-03 -visited Philippines(spent wonderful times together)

2010=27-03 -engaged(Yes!!)

2010-09-04 -went back to US :(

2010-29-04 -Filed I-29F

2010-04-05 -Received NOA1

2010-12-07 -NOA2 approved

2010-18-07 -Received NOA2 hardcopy

2010-26-07 -US Embassy(Manila) received our petition!!..(yahoo!!)

2010-04-08 -HAPPY BDAY MATT!!

2010-18-08 -Medical Exam-PASSED!!..God is so good!!

2010-26-08 -Interview @ USEmbassy- APPROVED( Thank you Lord!)

2010-03-09 -Got my Visa in Hand!!..Yepey..Thank God!!..

2010-17-09 -POE:SFO,CA

2010-23-10 -Wedding @ Springfield, MO

* AOS Journey

2010-07-12 -Filed for AOS & EAD(USPS Express Mail)

2010-08-12 -USCIS received the package

2010-14-12 -Received text & email from USCIS that they accepted our AOS & EAD Application..HAPPY BDAY MARIA!!

2010-20-12 -Got our NOA1 letters in the mail for our I-485 & I-765...A wonderful Christmas gift for us!!

2011-19-01 -Received Biometrics schedule!!

2011-07-02 -Biometrics done!!..thanked God!!

2011-17-03 -AOS Interview..APPROVED!!

2011-24-03 -GREENCARD received!!..it's green indeed!!..lol..

an advice..if you don't need any SS# for any documents at the meantime,just apply whenever you have your greencard or EAD card so that you can have your married name with your husband's surname on the card...it differs in every state but here in Cali, they didn't allow me to use my husband's last name even if I showed them our marriage certificate, the officer said, I need to adjust status first then I can just come to apply...as for us,I applied for SSN card coz my husband needs my SS# for him to be able to add me on his health insurance and bank account...but they just issued me a SSN card with my maiden name..I will just have to file for a change of name when I have my GC...God bless!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

They will need her social security number for income tax purposes if her husband was going to file married filing jointly. :yes:

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

If she doesn't have a SSN yet, they will need to file an ITIN with the husband's return so they can file jointly.

They will need her social security number for income tax purposes if her husband was going to file married filing jointly. :yes:

Indeed. Those last political ads they showed here in Florida were nauseating, to say the least.

Perhaps.

I suspect that Congress intentionally did not impose a time limit for AOS for K1's, though. It would cause a conflict with INA 245(c ). If they said you had to submit the AOS within X days of entering with a K1 then people who didn't file under the wire would simply send an I-130 with their AOS petition because 245(c ) makes them eligible, and prevents USCIS from using the overstay against them.

Indirectly, Congress imposed a 2 year limit on AOS for K1's with INA 245(d), which only permits K1's to adjust to conditional permanent resident under INA 216. However, K1's who aren't eligible to adjust based on the K1 because of 245(d) can still adjust under 245(c ) by sending an I-130.

The US is certainly full of idiots, though. They make their presence known every two years on November 2nd. :blush:

N-400 Timeline

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi,

No need to extend anything. Just file when you are ready to and do so ASAP, there is actually no "deadline" for filing AOS

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The worst that can happen is that if you file after the I-94 is expired, they will request an I-130 petition which is what every non-K-1 who files for AOS would have to submit as well, but it's not very likely.

In English: don't waste any time trying to extend the I-94.

Except for the last sentence, everything else is incorrect. There is plenty to be sarcastic about in life without making things up. If you wish to show how the US is full of idiots then give examples of real idiots. Your scenario is preposterous given the laws that DO exist, it is clear no one "forgot" anything. Jeezum.

Jim's answer is spot on. Worst case will be that you have to file an I-130 but that is some time down the road. DO NOT leave the country until you have an AP or greencard, you will not be able to return without filing for a CR-1.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.