keysjangle

Is hiring a legal agent worth it?

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I was browsing around at my options and found: http://www.visaplace.com/

I sent an inquiry via e-mail asking about their help and what their fees would be like for a CR1 process. They replied saying yes they could handle it, and that I should contact them for an evaluation to determine fees. Is the first meeting free?

If anybody has had experience with these firms, what were they like? Would you say your level of success was better? How about managing the stress? :lol: And as for fees, what have you paid?

Ask THEM if the first consultation is free but it generally is. Whether hiring professional help is "worth it" or not depends on what YOU value. If you have available and wish to use hundreds of hours of your time researching the process and assuring you do everything right on your own and if you are able to read carefully, interpret literally and answer questions accurately, you certainly CAN manage the process on your own. Whether you want to or not or how you value your own time, is up to you. YOU are not any of the anybody else's that tell YOU what YOU need or should value.

The actual work is not highly time consuming. Learning the process and making sure you do it right is another matter.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Ask THEM if the first consultation is free but it generally is. Whether hiring professional help is "worth it" or not depends on what YOU value. If you have available and wish to use hundreds of hours of your time researching the process and assuring you do everything right on your own and if you are able to read carefully, interpret literally and answer questions accurately, you certainly CAN manage the process on your own. Whether you want to or not or how you value your own time, is up to you. YOU are not any of the anybody else's that tell YOU what YOU need or should value.

The actual work is not highly time consuming. Learning the process and making sure you do it right is another matter.

Considering I'm a double major in what is essentially interpreting words, I know I have the skills but since I'm new to the process I'm walking on wobbly legs is all. I spent a few hours last night going over forms, reading everything twice, looking for specific answers - I did read instructions to use "none" instead of "n/a", for example, so I changed all my mock answers over - and I highlighted any areas of doubt and made notes, etc. I'm not about to start the process blind. And this forum is incredibly valuable; I'm already eternally grateful :star:

Edited by Gervl

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

If N/A is not an acceptable answer, what about Question 11 on the I-134 Affidavit of Support - what should be written there?

One poster said that we should write "N/A - K1 visa process for permanent residence." This is one of the examples given in Visa Journey guides. If I don't put "N/A" then do I check the box I intend or the box I do not intend. - I think it partly boils down to an interpretation of the phrase "specific contributions". Hope this doesn't feel like I am hijacking the thread, if so, apologies to the OP.

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline

If N/A is not an acceptable answer, what about Question 11 on the I-134 Affidavit of Support - what should be written there?

One poster said that we should write "N/A - K1 visa process for permanent residence." This is one of the examples given in Visa Journey guides. If I don't put "N/A" then do I check the box I intend or the box I do not intend. - I think it partly boils down to an interpretation of the phrase "specific contributions". Hope this doesn't feel like I am hijacking the thread, if so, apologies to the OP.

ann and aties,

I think you should post in another thread since your is for K1 fiance(e) visa. There are other forums specifically for K1 visa. OP is for CR1 visa.

But, I'll answer to your question here. You need to check "Intend" and write a short explanation how do you intend to support the fiance(e). If you decline this Q#11, basically you are proving that you are NOT going to support your fiance(e).

OP, I-134 is not applicable to you, Sorry!

Loto

CSC - I-130 for Parents (IR5)

10/11/2011 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

10/13/2011 - Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

10/17/2011 - Email received with Receipt#, Routed to CSC

10/18/2011 - Cleared the checks $420*2

10/21/2011 - Received NOA1

03/30/2012 - Received NOA2

NVC

04/19/2012 - NVC received

05/01/2012 - Case# generated

05/02/2012 - DS-3032 COA emailed

05/02/2012 - I-864 AOS Fee $88 paid

05/05/2012 - I-864 AOS package mailed to NVC

05/07/2012 - I-864 AOS package received by NVC

05/07/2012 - DS-3032 COA accepted

05/08/2012 - DS-230 IV Fee $230*2 paid

05/09/2012 - DS-230 IV package mailed to NVC

05/11/2012 - DS-230 IV package received by NVC

05/17/2012 - Case Completed

Consulate

07/02/2012 - VFS visit in Cochin

07/04/2012 - Medical in Chennai

07/12/2012 - Interview in Mumbai - Success!

09/08/2012 - POE at JFK, NY

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Yeah, I talked to my boyfriend about it and he didn't seem convinced we'd need the help (or the added costs). I figured if I really got stuck they'd be a good asset but otherwise I can handle it.

Printing out all the relevant forms now to start looking over them and seeing what information I'd need in the future. It pays to be ####### :lol:

Just a note....you're filing the CR1 if your married? Noticed "boyfriend" :blink: Like others have told you if you follow the guides here you can file on your own with out the need of hiring a agent or lawyer. :thumbs:

01/2006 - Filed k1(1st time)

04/2006 - Interview (1st time) denied

Waited, waited...... no review

06/2009 - Filed k1 (2nd time)

09/2009 - NOA 2 approved

12/2009 - Interview (2nd time) APPROVED! VISA ISSUED

02/2010 - Arrived USA

04/2010 - Married

AOS Timeline

4/19/2010-Sent to Chicago Lockbox

4/26/2010-Received texts and emails 7th day

4/30/2010-Received NOA's(Hardcopies) 11th day

5/3/2010-Received ASC appointment notice(mailed 4/29/2010)14th day

5/7/2010-Walk-in Biometrics done(2 weeks earlier)18th day

5/13/2010-Case transferred to CSC

6/2/2010- Case received/resumed at CSC

6/18,6/22,6/23 AOS touches

6/28/2010- EAD production and touch on AP

6/29/2010-AOS APPROVED

7/2/2010- 2nd update on EAD production and touched on AP....

7/6/2010- Received "Welcome Letter" and AP document

7/12/2010-Received GREEN CARD and EAD

greencard.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Just a note....you're filing the CR1 if your married? Noticed "boyfriend" :blink: Like others have told you if you follow the guides here you can file on your own with out the need of hiring a agent or lawyer. :thumbs:

Oh, no we're not married yet haha. Just looking into what my future will be like when it happens.

USCIS

Jul 15/11 - Sent I-130 Package from Honolulu

Jul 18/11 - I-130 package received & signed for in Chicago
Jul 19/11 - Priority Date
Jul 21/11 - NOA1/USCIS Acceptance Confirmation received
Jul 29/11 - Received I-797C hard copy
Aug 4/11 - Touched
Feb 16/12 - NOA2 Approval (212 days since Priority Date)

NVC

Feb 28/12 - NVC Case Number, BIN & IIN Assigned, Optin E-mail for EP Sent

Mar 2/12 - DS-261 Submitted
Mar 5/12 - Electronic Processing Opt-in Accepted, AOS Invoiced & Paid
Mar 7/12 - NVC receive IV electronic package, AOS shows "Paid", AOS Package Sent
Mar 9/12 - IV Bill Invoiced & Paid
Mar 12/12 - AOS fee shows as "Not Paid - Rejected": Human error. AOS re-paid.
Mar 13/12 - IV is "Paid." Will have to be re-paid post imminent "Rejected" status. NVC e-mail "Checklist Cover Letter" asking for my $$$
Mar 14/12 - IV is "Rejected - Not Paid", Re-paid, AOS is "Paid"
Mar 16/12 - IV is "Paid", DS-260 submitted & Package sent
Mar 19/12 - IV Package Received
Mar 20/12 - Case Complete E-mail Received (21 days at NVC)

Final Steps

Apr 10/12 - Interview date assigned: May 9 @ 8:30AM

May 1/12 - Medical Date
May 9/12 - Interview result: Approved!
Jun 22/12 - POE
Jul 23/12 - SSN assigned
Aug 10/12 - Green card in hand

ROC

Mar 25/14 - ROC sent to CSC

Mar 28/14 - Package delivered to CSC

Apr 1/14 - Check cashed

Apr 3/14 - Received NOA1, Receipt Date: 3/28

Jun 15/14 - Move to San Diego

Jun 23/14 - RFE / Package sent: Aug 6, ETA Aug 8

Aug 22/14 - New Card in Production

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Georgia
Timeline

Yeah, I used a site called visapro.com. Turns out it's just an online lawyer farm. They did not help me with gathering and ensuring data was accurate. I missed one thing on their online form, and they never finished processing my application for 3 months! I called them to complain, and they told me it was my fault, that until the form was complete, they would not process the application. I know a real lawyer would charge even more than an online service, and would have at least helped me apply sooner. I travel almost 100% of the time for my job, and it was simply worth it initially to get someone else to assist with the data collection. Now that I learned my lesson and I took some time to read up on all this, I would and will tell anyone that this process is quite easy and just takes a little time on both of your parts to get all the right documentation from both of you. As as you are in a real relationship, then you have nothing more to prove, and patience is all you need after love!

Chris

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I was browsing around at my options and found: http://www.visaplace.com/

I sent an inquiry via e-mail asking about their help and what their fees would be like for a CR1 process. They replied saying yes they could handle it, and that I should contact them for an evaluation to determine fees. Is the first meeting free?

If anybody has had experience with these firms, what were they like? Would you say your level of success was better? How about managing the stress? :lol: And as for fees, what have you paid?

In general, it is not impossible to do this yourself. It can be difficult though if you have no one to advise or more particularly to look over the applications, forms and evidence before you submit it all to govt. You don't want a rejection coming because you did something wrong. Then talk about an expense!!! The appeal costs could be a fortune

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

N/A is an acceptable answer when it is appropriate. It in not appropriate when the correct answer is none. For example if there was no former spouse, the answer is none, making the former spouse's birth place N/A.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.