웃

At what age did you come to realize that God/Devil/Heaven/Hell/Angels/Demons are all man-made fairy tales?

238 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Speaking of tumors...I always thought this was a great flick :thumbs::thumbs:

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

jesus-animated-gif-image-0110.gif

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

Timeline

It's testimony. Whether you choose to accept it as evidence is your choice.

I personally can't put much trust in anybody's personal testimony. I respect it, but that experience belongs only to them, not to me. When I was going to my non-secular university the professors of some of my beginning religion classes wanted/required for all of us to write our 'personal testimony' of 'how we came to God'. Some of the students read their testimony to the class. They all sounded the same...along these lines..."I was a POS, I was almost dead, I wanted to kill myself, I was a drunkard/drug addict,etc, and then I 'saw the light' and became this beacon of God."...ugh...it was like I was in theater class specializing in drama...great 'daytime TV' :lol:

The prof asked if I would like to read my testimony and I told him I didn't have one. I've always loved God and believed in God, period. And, for at least me personally this had nothing to do with the Bible. Do I believe the Bible is inspired...absolutely. Can I have God without the Bible, absolutely. I still read the Bible daily because I love it dearly and it helps me in my faith. I guess my point is that if you're expecting to experience God by reading the Bible only, you might have a long wait, because reaading the Bible in this manner does reduce it to being 'just a book'. God must be experienced directly in one's life...and when that does happen it cannot adequately be explained because the experience, like I said earlier, belongs only to you. It won't make sense to others...

Blessings :innocent:

“Acquire the spirit of peace and a thousand souls around you will be saved.” Saint Seraphim of Sarov

“The love of one’s country is a splendid thing. But why should love stop at the border?” Pablo Cassals

This proves that

a) ocean currents are dangerous .. be careful out there

b) currents and tides can be unpredictable, the water can drag you out to sea, and the water (not God) can drop you back on a sand bar.

c) Mexico has too many drug dealers and not enough life guards.

Where is the proof of god or any kind of divine intervention in this story? :unsure:

Glad you came out of it ok Ken :star:

Ocean currents are indeed dangerous. I only swim in my backyard pool now. :star:

Currents and tides prevent me from swimming in the Pacific. The Sea of Cortez is still a great place to swim! :thumbs:

No lifeguards on duty! Mexico is still a great place to visit - I was there in July with my wife after she received her Green Card! :dance:

Camping on the sand :dance:

34227_1475816090887_1098240232_31313575_2427041_n.jpg

Tijuana isn't as dangerous as the media makes it sound.

35221_1475824891107_1098240232_31313612_7047306_n.jpg

Ken y Leidys’ Timeline

May 1, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-1)

Aug 4, 2009 - I-129 F (NOA-2)

Oct 7, 2009 - Bogota Interview

Oct 16, 2009 - Diomesa package arrived in downtown Barranquilla

Oct 20, 2009 - Leidys took bus to Diomesa Office to pick up Visa/Passport package because ("We don't deliver to your Barrio").

Nov 22, 2009 - POE (30 min.) Los Angeles, Intl.

Dec 27, 2009 - Wedding

March 8, 2010 - AOS NOA

April 8, 2010 - AOS BIO (in Riverside, CA)

May 11, 2010 - AOS AP

May 24, 2010 - AOS Interview

May 27, 2010 - AOS EAD May 27, 2010

Jun 18, 2010 - Green Card Received!

Apr 07, 2012 - ROC Filed

Oct 11, 2012 - ROC RFE

Jan 08, 2013 - CONDITIONS REMOVED!!!

VicFrndz.jpgBAQ+Taxi.jpgclubberz.jpgCumbiaz.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The problem is to make this analogy accurate, none of the three can see the door. One claims it is there, the second says not sure but understands the first claims there is a door, the third sees no door, no evidence of a door and logically concludes there is indeed no door.

Which one is the Christian?

In the analogy I used, the door represents our limitations of knowledge. If we can agree that there are things about life and the universe that are beyond our comprehension - that represents the other side of that locked door. The Theist claims there is something beyond that door and even names it. The Atheist claims there is absolutely nothing beyond that door - human logic and knowledge are potentially infinite. The Agnostic says he doesn't know.

While the Theist's claim requires having faith in something unprovable, so does the Atheist. They are no different in that respect.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

The Theist claims there is something beyond that door and even names it.

And that something is a 3 foot monster that sends people either to a land of paradise or burns you alive for eternity in his basement when you die.

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Timeline

And that something is a 3 foot monster that sends people either to a land of paradise or burns you alive for eternity in his basement when you die.

Joseph, not everyone who believes in God, believes in the same rigid views that you were taught growing up. There's a whole world out there of spiritual truth for you to find on your own. Why not take some religion courses at a local college or university where you'd be able to vent, rant and ask the kinds of questions that seem to be eating at you? It would be safe as it wouldn't be anyone in your family.

Timeline

In my opinion, it is a true shame and travesty that much of Christianity today does indeed paint this very limited and completely underdeveloped theological view of God. I, personally, don't have this view at all and never have...and hope that others don't either. Unfortunately, for a lot of people who are new to Christianity, or who have rejected it already, this is the limited exposure they receive. In this extremely limited view of God, it is all sin/shame/punishment/forgiveness...lather rinse and repeat. God is much greater than this!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Joseph, not everyone who believes in God, believes in the same rigid views that you were taught growing up. There's a whole world out there of spiritual truth for you to find on your own. Why not take some religion courses at a local college or university where you'd be able to vent, rant and ask the kinds of questions that seem to be eating at you? It would be safe as it wouldn't be anyone in your family.

Jaberwacky, do you not believe in heaven and hell as 99.9999% of Christians do? If not, blabberwacky, what is the point? For guidance in your life? U believe something out there is actually watching u, guiding u, intervening with u blabberwacky?

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

if people are offended then don't look

Good advice.

By that same token, I would suggest that all the people who have faith in their religion and who opened this thread and were offended could follow the same advice. The topic was clearly asking a question of those who DO NOT believe.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

Jaberwacky, do you not believe in heaven and hell as 99.9999% of Christians do?

Believing in heaven and hell and defining what they are, are not one and the same. You, unfortunately, were indoctrinated as a young child, with a very rigid fundamentalist viewpoint which claims to have all the answers. Heaven, as I believe in, means total union with God - the rest is mystery, beyond our comprehension. Some people don't like that kind of spirituality. They want to know all the answers. You seem hellbent on challenging the answers that not every religion pretends to know.

Edited by 8TBVBN

Filed: Country: Netherlands
Timeline

IMO -Most religious myths/prophecies/whatever have their distant roots in fact.

I also find it intriguing that although most religions distance themselves from eachother-they are more alike and share roughly the same tenents, stories, phrophecies and myths-than the fanatics ( from most religions) care to admit.

Respect my beliefs-I'll respect yours. That's what I live by.

Liefde is een bloem zo teer dat hij knakt bij de minste aanraking en zo sterk dat niets zijn groei in de weg staat

event.png

IK HOU VAN JOU, MARK

.png

Take a large, almost round, rotating sphere about 8000 miles in diameter, surround it with a murky, viscous atmosphere of gases mixed with water vapor, tilt its axis so it wobbles back and forth with respect to a source of heat and light, freeze it at both ends and roast it in the middle, cover most of its surface with liquid that constantly feeds vapor into the atmosphere as the sphere tosses billions of gallons up and down to the rhythmic pulling of a captive satellite and the sun. Then try to predict the conditions of that atmosphere over a small area within a 5 mile radius for a period of one to five days in advance!

---

Good advice.

By that same token, I would suggest that all the people who have faith in their religion and who opened this thread and were offended could follow the same advice. The topic was clearly asking a question of those who DO NOT believe.

Point well taken. I am not so ridgid I can't see others view point.

SEPT 16,2010-FILED I-129F
SEPT 21,2010-NOA1
SEPT 27,2010-hard copy of NOA1
SEPT 24,2010-touch
FEB 23,2011-RFE
FEB 23,2011-touch
MAR 12,2011-SENT OUT RFE requested
MAR 16,2011-touch (e-mail too)
MAR 17,2011-NOA2
MAR 25,2011-NVC recieved our petition
APR 13,2011-PKT 3 SENT from Montreal
APR 20,2011-SENT OUT PKT 3
MAY 4,2011-EMAIL RFE 2 from Montreal
MAY 5,2011-SENT OUT REQUESTED DS 156, passprot photos, bio page of passport
MAY 23,2011-DOS COMFIRMED PKT 4 HAS BEEN SENT OUT
May 31,2011-Pkt 4 recieved (dated May 18th)
AUG 3,2011-MEDICAL in Toronto
AUG 25,2011-INTERVIEW - APPROVED!!
SEPT 9,2011-POE
SEPT 12,2011-Wedding

AOS
SEPT,26th 2011-AOS filed
OCT 6th-E-mail NOA1
OCT 11th-Hardcopy of NOA1 dated Sept 28th
OCT 25th-RFE
NOV 29,2011-AP (Approved)
NOV 29,2011-EAD(card production)
Dec 6,2011-EAD/AP card in hand smile.png
June 18, 2012-AOS approved
Aug 27th,2012-Card in production
STILL WAITING TO RECIEVE GREEN CARD~2nd service request is pending Nov 12,2012
Contacted senator-Jan 2013
Recieved e-mail response-Feb 4,2013
MAY 7,2013-RECIEVED GREEN CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ROC

March 18,2014-sent I-751

March 24,2014-Recieved NOA (dated March 20th)

If I make up a story about a door and a story about what is beyond the door and lots of people believe my story although there is nothing in evidence to corroborate my story those who choose to disbelieve aren't obliged to disprove my story. It's up to me and my followers.

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Believing in heaven and hell and defining what they are, are not one and the same. You, unfortunately, were indoctrinated as a young child, with a very rigid fundamentalist viewpoint which claims to have all the answers. Heaven, as I believe in, means total union with God - the rest is mystery, beyond our comprehension. Some people don't like that kind of spirituality. They want to know all the answers. You seem hellbent on challenging the answers that not every religion pretends to know.

It's only a matter of time before you come out Steven ;)

Serious question, what does 'total union with god' mean to you? It means nothing meaningful to me, certainly nothing that demands fidelity to an omnipotent being that has the 'bliss' of humankind as its focus. All you seem to be saying is that we are part of the universe we inhabit and will always remain part of it, at least in the sense that the atoms and particles that make up our physical mass will remain part of it. Great, that's what I believe as well.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .