Bernard+Ashley

Has anyone heard of being Denied at Point of Entry?

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hey Everyone!!

I heard that people can still be denied access into the US at Point of Entry, is this true? And has anyone heard of that happening to anyone? Thanks guys!!

Yes it is true. ANY person can be denied at POE. A visa is NOT a guarantee of entry, though to worry about it would veer into being unreasonable. There have been several cases reported here of denial of entry. Most commonly because something was missing from the sealed envelope or the envelope was opened. Oddly enough if you LOSE the envelope you will be admitted with deferred adjudication (a really big hassle) but if you OPEN the envelope you can be denied entry. There was also a case where a visa had been issued but the CBP turned up a criminal conviction at the POE check that the consulate and NVC did not. It is quite rare.

It is actually much more common for people from visa waiver program countries to be denied when they attempt to enter without a visa.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband was almost denied entry when he entered on his K1 in September. The CBP officer wanted to deny him based on me being a student. Thankfully another CBP officer told the one who wanted to deny him that he had to let him go cause there was no reason not to and that the fact I was a student and my co-sponsor made "###### money", as he said, wasn't good enough reasons.

event.png

Yes, CBP (border patrol) has the final say on who comes in. If they deem you to be inadmissable, even after allllll the paperwork and consular approval at your interview, they can revoke your visa. Its quite rare and usually for a HUGE reason.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

This is true, Customs and Boarder Patrol makes the ultimate decision wether to let you through or not, so even if you take a 24 hour plane ride you can still be denied entry...

UpdatedTimeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hey Everyone!!

I heard that people can still be denied access into the US at Point of Entry, is this true? And has anyone heard of that happening to anyone? Thanks guys!!

Sure if you look like a terrorist or act like a terrorist or try to smuggle illegal drugs or cause a scene at the passport control, they can just deny you and send you back.

I'd suggest you be on your best behavior and Say Thank You a lot and be friendly.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

This is true, Customs and Boarder Patrol makes the ultimate decision wether to let you through or not, so even if you take a 24 hour plane ride you can still be denied entry...

Each entry into any country is a separate decision. When entering the USA, the agency responsible for this decision is named US Customs and Border "Protection". (not Patrol)

Any denial of entry for a fiancee or spouse of a US Citizen with an appropriate visa would be the result of NEW information indicating the applicant was not eligible.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Yes, CBP (border patrol) has the final say on who comes in. If they deem you to be inadmissable, even after allllll the paperwork and consular approval at your interview, they can revoke your visa. Its quite rare and usually for a HUGE reason.

CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection. We do commonly call the offers Border Patrol but that is not the name of the agency.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Everyone!!

Yes it does happen...frequently?? No but it is possible. The last reason I heard for a poe denial was a"criminal record" even though the record was disclosed at the interview and the person was approved. When this person "codybanks" arrived at the poe, he was questioned and the poe officer called the embassy and had his visa cancelled. Mostly it is because someone leaves information out or you act like a idiot while poeing, they have to have a valid reason to my knowledge though.

~~~Marriage : 2009-07-10~~~

~~~I-130 Sent : 2009-11-24~~~

~~~ Medical : 2010-09-28~~~ ~~~ MTL Interview : 2010-10-20~~~ ~~~ APPROVED~~~

~~~POE Date :2010-10-31~~~ ~~~Received SSN's 2010-11-08~~

~~~Welcome Letter/Notice Receipt :2010-11-30~~~ ~~~Received Our Green Cards 2010-12-06~~~

~~~ ROC :2012-08-20~~~ ~~~NOA1 :2012-08-28~~~ ~~~BIO :2012-09-25~~~~

age.png

age.png

event.png

~~~Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.~~~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

CBP stands for Customs and Border Protection. We do commonly call the offers Border Patrol but that is not the name of the agency.

Ture enough, but there are craploads of their white trucks with green stripes on them around here and they all say "Border Patrol" on them. :lol:

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I read on VJ where one couple was at least hassled (or were they denied? I can't remember) because the person was trying to come in on a K-1 visa and the CBP officer thought they were married! So, don't: 1. Get married before entry 2. Refer to "my wife/husband" 3. Wear a wedding ring....etc.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Ture enough, but there are craploads of their white trucks with green stripes on them around here and they all say "Border Patrol" on them. :lol:

Thats what I was thinking.. I know they're officially called customs and border "protection"... everyone I know "affectionatly" calls them border patrol. However, that is all semantics. The real truth is yes, if they say know.. its no.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Lots of good answers here, but here is the real deal....What your "visa" actually boils down to is the OPPORTUNITY to have an interview with a CBP agent at the airport, and be a candidate for entry into the USA. and that's it, when boiled down to its essence. If a CBP agent starts asking someone questions at POE, and the agent thinks the answers are inconsistent, or that the person is acting unusually nervous, or just has camel breath, that CBP agent alone can decide to turn that traveler around, and BOUNCE his butt back from whence he came--RETURN TO SENDER style.

:star:

Edited by Boing!

Sign-on-a-church-af.jpgLogic-af.jpgwwiao.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can remember one case on here where CBP considered a waiver had been given incorrectly and refused entry.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.