soon2batexan

How do I get a driver's license in Texas on a K-1?

14 posts in this topic

I'm hoping someone can offer some helpful info..

I'm entering the US on my K-1 (moving to Houston) December 3rd. The I-94 they'll give me at the border will state that I'm allowed to be in the country for 90 days.

Problem is, to obtain a driver's license, the TX DMV needs to see that I'm allowed to be in the country legally for at least 6 months. Now I know Canadians are allowed to visit for a period of 6 months so i'm not sure if that works in my favor. I thought I remembered hearing that Canadians can drive with their Canadian license for 6 months - year, and I'm a careful driver so it's not so much that I'm worried about getting pulled over as I'm concerned that when I DO go to apply for my license, I'll be fined or something for not getting a TX license within 90 days, as required by new residents. It's a catch 22! Now, it's possible I'll receive my work permit within the 90 day period and that should be sufficient proof, but if I don't, what's the best way to proceed?

The DMV in Conroe suggested getting an international driving permit, but I looked into those and you have to have a US license in order to get one.

Can anyone offer advice? I'm a little lost and am just trying to follow the rules. Help!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you checked if you can be insured to drive the car on a non-american license? Our insurance wouldn't insure a canadian licensed driver to use the car. Tho I had no issues at the DMV with just my I-94. TX rules are very different for DMV in Nebraska! all I needed was passport with valid I-94 and marriage license(for name change).

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

My Fiance is adding me to his insurance policy, and Progressive said they can insure a driver with a Canadian license.

Texas is a bit more stringent when it comes to the requirements for the DL. They are one of the states that passed the REAL ID Act, so I think they tend to be tougher in terms of paperwork. IF they give me a license, it'd likely only be for the validity period of the I-94...I'd sooner keep my CDN license (which is valid til 2012) than surrender it and have something that expires in 90 days.

Any advise people?

I'm entering the US on my K-1 (moving to Houston) December 3rd. The I-94 they'll give me at the border will state that I'm allowed to be in the country for 90 days.

Problem is, to obtain a driver's license, the TX DMV needs to see that I'm allowed to be in the country legally for at least 6 months. Now I know Canadians are allowed to visit for a period of 6 months so i'm not sure if that works in my favor. I thought I remembered hearing that Canadians can drive with their Canadian license for 6 months - year, and I'm a careful driver so it's not so much that I'm worried about getting pulled over as I'm concerned that when I DO go to apply for my license, I'll be fined or something for not getting a TX license within 90 days, as required by new residents. It's a catch 22! Now, it's possible I'll receive my work permit within the 90 day period and that should be sufficient proof, but if I don't, what's the best way to proceed?

The DMV in Conroe suggested getting an international driving permit, but I looked into those and you have to have a US license in order to get one.

Can anyone offer advice? I'm a little lost and am just trying to follow the rules. Help!

Just go to the DPS in Houston and bring your valid Canadian driver's license. The other tests will be waived but you have to pass the eye exam.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/movingtotexas.htm

EDIT:

Ok, i'm not sure about the I-94 on K-1's but it can't hurt to try and find out, right?

Edited by finallyfree

I'm 100% positive you can't get a TX DL until you have your EAD or green card. With EAD you'll get a Temporary Visitor license that expires in one year on the expiration of the EAD. If you get that one, when the green card comes you can go back, PAY again, and get a regular 6 year license. You will take the written test and driving test with a state trooper to get the initial license. After that, you will have to go back in person to upgrade, or even to change your address if you move. Nothing online allowed for GC holders. The Conroe office has about a 3 hour minimum wait every day of the week. There's a new office near IAH airport that Conroe lady told me nobody knew about and we should go there since it was actually closer anyway. Well, people do know about it, but it was only maybe 2 hours to get an address change.

Visitors can drive in Texas on their Canadian license for a year. Just say you're visiting until you have EAD or a green card in hand. Before that you aren't really a resident because you're in that K1 limbo. But if you're past your I-94 90 days and you get stopped, you've got a lotta explainin' to do. Yes, we've been there. And until recently TX law said you had to get a Texas license within 30 days of moving to the state. So there we were on the highway at night, with my husband stopped for speeding by DPS state trooper. He showed his UK license and the guy said "are you visiting here?" "No, I've lived here 2 months." Had he just said he was visiting, the whole TX DL within 30 days would not even have come up. City cops and state troopers do not know federal immigration laws. They for sure have never heard of a K1. Anyway after explaining the whole K1 process and how there is a gap where a K1 is a nothing because the I-94 is expired, but the GC is stlll processing and TX won't issue a license, he took my word for it and scratched the "failure to have a DL" off the ticket.

I would say, just drive as a visiting Canadian and be ready to explain K1 limbo if needed. Sounds like you might be moving to the Woodlands if you say Houston, but called Conroe DPS.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

You will take the written test and driving test with a state trooper to get the initial license.

Scratch that because you're Canadian. I was thinking British when I typed that. And about the International Driving Permit thing. It's really just a book of translations into many languages. I got one at AAA in Houston when I was going to drive all over Europe. But since you're from an English speaking country, mostly, you probably don't need translations. I think you're supposed to get those in the home country and use it with your home license when you travel internationally. Anyway, I don't think it's that necessary for you unless it's really cheap and easy to get in Canada. Then you might appear more "visitor-like" popping out that with your Canadian license.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'm 100% positive you can't get a TX DL until you have your EAD or green card. With EAD you'll get a Temporary Visitor license that expires in one year on the expiration of the EAD. If you get that one, when the green card comes you can go back, PAY again, and get a regular 6 year license. You will take the written test and driving test with a state trooper to get the initial license. After that, you will have to go back in person to upgrade, or even to change your address if you move. Nothing online allowed for GC holders. The Conroe office has about a 3 hour minimum wait every day of the week. There's a new office near IAH airport that Conroe lady told me nobody knew about and we should go there since it was actually closer anyway. Well, people do know about it, but it was only maybe 2 hours to get an address change.

Visitors can drive in Texas on their Canadian license for a year. Just say you're visiting until you have EAD or a green card in hand. Before that you aren't really a resident because you're in that K1 limbo. But if you're past your I-94 90 days and you get stopped, you've got a lotta explainin' to do. Yes, we've been there. And until recently TX law said you had to get a Texas license within 30 days of moving to the state. So there we were on the highway at night, with my husband stopped for speeding by DPS state trooper. He showed his UK license and the guy said "are you visiting here?" "No, I've lived here 2 months." Had he just said he was visiting, the whole TX DL within 30 days would not even have come up. City cops and state troopers do not know federal immigration laws. They for sure have never heard of a K1. Anyway after explaining the whole K1 process and how there is a gap where a K1 is a nothing because the I-94 is expired, but the GC is stlll processing and TX won't issue a license, he took my word for it and scratched the "failure to have a DL" off the ticket.

I would say, just drive as a visiting Canadian and be ready to explain K1 limbo if needed. Sounds like you might be moving to the Woodlands if you say Houston, but called Conroe DPS.

Unfortunately I went through this myself... K1 is not elegible for a driver's license in Texas...

The two women in the DL office showed me the list of elegible visas, and K1 has a big black square in it, meaning not elegible for anything, even after married. I believe they will have to change this K1 situation eventually, since we are truly in a limbo, and we can't be anything for 4 months or more...

Anyway, I would too suggest you to use the fact that you are canadian, and say you are a visitor...

I'm Brazilian, so I'll have to start the whole process again, and nothing can be done at the moment, yay to that :o

Good luck in your case!

Ana & Mike

event.png

Aug/13 - We got married in U.S., I was under K1 visa

Aug/16 - We sent the documents to Chicago

Aug/17 - The office received our documents

Aug/25 - We received e-mails and text messages saying the process had started

Aug/28 - We received 3 NOAs through mail, all dated Aug/25

Sep/06 - Received biometrics appointment (Sep/23)

Sep/16 - Case transfered to California Service Center (I saw this information online and our case was finally in

their system. Ps: Before this day I couldn't find any information on my case on their website)

Sep/23 - Received a letter saying our case had been transfered to CSC

Sep/23 - Biometrics done

Oct/08 - Received an e-mail saying my EAD had been approved and that the document was being produced. I finally

could see the status of my AP, which had also been approved and was on its way.

Oct/18 - Received AP, through mail

Oct/21 - Received EAD, through mail

Nov/02 - Traveled to Brazil for our catholic cerimony

Nov/20 - Mike and his family arrived in Brazil

Nov/27 - Mike and I got were blessed in a church

Dec/04 - Mike went back to U.S.

Jan/07 - I'm going back to U.S.

Still waiting on the green card, our case hasn't been touched since Oct 18th...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have a similar problem right now and have contacted the DPS legal offices as well as some advocacy groups which are suing and won (under appeal)to gain some clarity as to my wife driving. She is from China which does not accept Texas DL's and so we are in a tough spot.

However, per the Texas Driver Handbook, page 1-1:

"5. Nonresidents (at least 18 years of age) may drive any vehicle in Texas if

they are legally licensed to drive such a vehicle in their home state or country,

and their home state or country grants like recognition to citizens of

Texas."

I would suggest if you fit into this catagory to just drive on your current DL until immigration gets you the neccesary forms to get a Texas DL/ID. While K-1's could previously obtain a DL with a marriage certificate that is no longer the case, and frankly I am pretty T.O.'d about it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Check with your local DMV in Canada. I thought I remember reading you can drive on it for 1 year but then again I'm from Manitoba :) Just call and ask.

K-3 Visa Interview Date : 2009-10-19 Approved POE: 2009-10-28 Emerson ND

See time-line or Profile for more info

EAD

2010-06-07: Date Filed

2010-10-16: EAD in hand!

2010-10-23: SSN Received in normal post!!

AoS- Chicago Lock Box

2010-10-18(Day 1): Mailed again :)

2011-03-17(Day 159): Interview - Review file response

2011-03-18(Day 160): Card production email/text for Green Card!

2011-03-21(Day 163): Welcome to USA letter received

2011-03-22(Day 164): Another text for card production! Start printing GC?

2011-03-23(Day 165): Text/email moving into post decision activity! Mail GC?

2011-03-26(Day 168): GC in hand and done for 3-10 years depending on the citizenship decision...Still unsure!

N400 - Dallas Lock box

2017-02-13(Day 1): Finally made the decision to apply for citizenship. Package went in mail

2017-02-16(Day 4): 1st NOA "went background checks are complete interview will be scheduled" no mention of Biometrics

2017-03-03(Day 15) Biometrics letter arrives scheduled for 2017-03-13 Might try a walk in earlier

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

** moved from "Adjustment of Status Case Filing and Progress Reports" to Moving Here and Your New Life In America as this isn't an AOS question or a qn about the immigration process, but a "life in USA" qn**

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't think you can. Possibly once you get your EAD (as long as it doesn't expire for 6 months). I came to Texas on a K-3 and it was horrible getting my drivers license. #1 bring proof of your spouse/fiance's citizenship (passports are not good enough if they were not born in the US). They need their naturalization certificate. My license is contingent on my visa. It expires when my visa expires. So I would wait until you get your greencard.

Gail & John

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Field Office: Houston, TX

Consulate : Vancouver, Canada

Marriage : 2007-10-06

I-130 Sent : 2008-01-23

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-29

I-129F Sent : 2008-03-11

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-01

Waited and Worried: February - October!

Submitted Address change: 2008-10-18

Touch: 2008-10-20

Touch: 2008-10-21

I-130 Approval : 2008-11-03

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-11-03

NVC Received : 2008-11-08

NVC Left : 2008-11-10

Consolate Received: 2008-11-18

Package 3 Received: 2008-11-25

Package 3 Returned to Consulate: 2008-11-26

Interview date: 2009-01-07

K3 Visa received: 2009-01-08

Date of Entry to USA: 2009-02-25

AOS Date Filed : 2010-08-11

NOA Date : 2010-08-19

Bio. Appt. : 2010-10-01

Interview Date : 2010-11-15

RFE: 2010-11-24

RFE returned and signed for: 2010-12-01

Approval / Denial Date : 2010-12-14

Approved : Yes

Got I551 Stamp : No

Greencard Received: 2010-12-24

N-400 sent: 2015-04-18

Bio. Appt.: 2015-05-27

Interview date: 2015-08-10

Approval / Denial Date: 2015-09-10

Approved: Yes

Oath Ceramony: 2015-09-23

Timeline

My wife was able to get hers when the EAD came in. She did have to go back once her 2 year GC came and get a regular 6 year license. Took her 3 times on the driving test to pass it. Was fun times had by all. I am constantly amazed that her new car I got her is not banged up.whistling.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know of official source where it states that K-1 visa holders can get a drivers license or permit with EAD?

My fiancee went to get a permit in Dallas and they refused saying that those on K-1 are not eligible..

• 8 years later...

Hi fellow Texas. Please note that you can even get your driver's license with just NOA1. My hubby did and he was given a license with 1 year validity. My advice is that you insist that a second verification be done on the NOA1 document using your Alien Number. The documents that can help when making your argument is the DPS Verifying Lawful Presence Guide (https://www.dps.texas.gov/international/Forms/DL-62.pdf) and the Homeland Security REAL ID Act (https://www.dhs.gov/library/assets/real-id-act-text.pdf)

Edited by LivFavor

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.