jiggy&jiga

Got the Greencard,Travel Question??

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hello,I hope everybody is doing great in their visa journey:)

I have a quick question,I bet this question has been asked many times,but I just wanted to be sure..

I got my permanent residence a month ago,we are planning to have a vacation in Turkey next month.I have my greencard,social security number in my husbands surname,my passport is in my maiden name..We dont have time to change my name on the passport,so is it ok if we travel with my greencard,passport and marriage certificate???Thanks in advance for any input..You all have a great day!!

You may want to leave your SSN card at home. If that card gets lost or misplaced as you travel, it could be disastrous for you later (last thing you need is to encounter identity theft).

Am guessing the ticket will be in your married name? Just bring a copy of your marriage certificate with your green card and passport when you travel.

Hello,I hope everybody is doing great in their visa journey:)

I have a quick question,I bet this question has been asked many times,but I just wanted to be sure..

I got my permanent residence a month ago,we are planning to have a vacation in Turkey next month.I have my greencard,social security number in my husbands surname,my passport is in my maiden name..We dont have time to change my name on the passport,so is it ok if we travel with my greencard,passport and marriage certificate???Thanks in advance for any input..You all have a great day!!

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

You may want to leave your SSN card at home. If that card gets lost or misplaced as you travel, it could be disastrous for you later (last thing you need is to encounter identity theft).

Am guessing the ticket will be in your married name? Just bring a copy of your marriage certificate with your green card and passport when you travel.

Thanks for your reply,I am not carrying my SSN card with me..I just wanted to mention that it was on my husbands surname too.Thanks for warning,though!

I will get my ticket on my maiden name..hopefully,passport,greencard and our marriage certificate will work out!! :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

** moved from "AOS (Family) Filing & Progress" to "Working & Travelling" as this is relating to travel on a GC **

• 6 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Any idea as to which surname the green card will come with??

The U.S. marriage license signed with married surname.

Filed all documents with USCIS and NVC with the married name (included maiden name when asked for previous names used)

BUT my wife's Italian passport has her maiden name (Italian law will not allow for the surname to be changed).

The NVC uses her maiden name because her passport has the maiden name and the visa must match the passport.

Will the green card come with her married or maiden name?

That's not a problem at all. My wife has the same scenario.

Make sure your plane ticket matches your PASSPORT. Your greencard has your married name, and that's ok. Bring the marriage certificate that shows your maiden name and married names (some states don't-that's ok).

Coming back into the US, they will look at the passport and greencard. They probably won't even ask for the marriage certificate, but have it with you just in case.

Nothing to worry about.

Edited by Eric-Pris

This is one reason I am glad Roza is keeping her maiden name--one less document to travel with. When traveling the traveller must use a government issued ID. For international travel a pasport is the government issued ID. So the name on the ticket MUST match the government issed ID used for travel--i.e. the passport. The only time you need to use the GC is to show you have a valid reason to re-enter the US after your travels. You will not typically show it to the airline people unless they queston you about not having a valid visa to re-enter the US, then you show them the GC. Then you show the CBP person the G to gain re-entry into the US. They may want proof that the last name on the GC belongs to you an dthat is where the marriage certificate comes in--to prove that you are one in the same person. I had to do this with my Mother's car since her death certificate was in Doris Arlene and the car title was in Arlene as she never went by Doris her entire life.

Enjoy your trip and have fun,

Dave

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.