Jenn!

Amazon refuses to pull book promoting pedophilia

58 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Amazon.com has defended selling a self-published electronic book that offers a guide to pedophilia, arguing that pulling it from the site would be censorship.

Amazon offers the The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure on its Web site, a self-published book that describes itself as a guide for so-called "pedosexuals".

"This is my attempt to make pedophile situations safer for those juveniles that find themselves involved in them, by establishing certian rules for these adults to follow," the author, Philip R. Greaves 2nd, summarizes the book. "I hope to achieve this by appealing to the better nature of pedosexuals, with hope that their doing so will result in less hatred and perhaps liter sentences should they ever be caught."

Sexual activity with a minor is a federal crime and luring children across state lines for the purposes of either prostitution or sexual activity is also a violation of federal law.

An Amazon representative, however, defended the sale of the book. "Thank you for your inquiry," the representative said. "Amazon believes it is censorship not to sell certain books simply because we or others believe their message is objectionable. Amazon does not support or promote hatred or criminal acts, however, we do support the right of every individual to make their own purchasing decisions."

At press time, the sales rank of the Pedophile's Guide was 12,874 in the Amazon Digital Store. It was self-published in Oct. 28, according to the biographical material attached to the book's Web page.

The book has attracted a mixture of one-star and five-star reviews, with reviewers either castigating Amazon for the topic of the book, or praising the bookseller for protecting free speech.

"As a mother of a child who has been molested, shame on Amazon for allowing such garbage to be sold on it's site," "thirtysomething" wrote. "The author of this book is a predator and should never have been allowed to write or promote this trash that is called a book of information. How many children will be assaulted because of this. Amazon-take it off your site."

Another, "Arkadia," wrote that "this is the single best book ever written". "...f for no other reason than the horde of frothy-mouthed crusaders shouting for its utter annihilation. The subject matter is all but irrelevant, as I'm sure the very same people decrying someone willing to write outside of their moral comfort zone would be completely aghast at someone saying the same thing about a devout Christian book."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372478,00.asp

:o

NATURALIZATION
02/15/13 - Mailed N-400
02/19/13 - Received by Phoenix Lockbox (day 01)
02/21/13 - NOA1 issued (day 03)

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS (WIFE)
02/18/12 - Eligible for Removal of Conditions on Residence
03/23/12 - Mailed I-751 to CSC
03/26/12 - Received by CSC (day 01)
03/31/12 - Received NOA1 (day 06)
05/02/12 - Biometrics done (day 38)
10/23/12 - Received approval email (day 212)
11/01/12 - Received green card (day 221)

IR-2 (STEPDAUGHTER)
06/01/10 - Mailed I-130 petition
06/03/10 - Package delivered to USCIS (day 01)
06/08/10 - NOA1 issued (day 06)
11/03/10 - Received approval email (day 154)
11/08/10 - Received approval notice in mail (day 159)

NATIONAL VISA CENTER (STEPDAUGHTER)
11/08/10 - NVC received case from USCIS
11/09/10 - NVC case # & IIN generated, email addresses given, DS-3032 sent via email & USPS (day 01)
11/16/10 - Received and paid AOS bill (day 08)
11/17/10 - AOS bill marked as PAID; AOS packet express mailed (day 09)
11/19/10 - Received and paid IV bill; DS-3032 accepted (day 11)
11/22/10 - IV bill marked as PAID; IV packet express mailed (day 14)
12/03/10 - Sign-in failed (day 25)
12/09/10 - INTERVIEW SCHEDULED FOR JANUARY 10, 2011 @ 6:45AM
12/28/10 - Medical exam done at SLEC Manila - PASSED! (day 40)
01/10/11 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED! (day 53)
01/21/11 - Stepdaughter received passport with IR-2 visa! (day 64)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

So should true-life crime histories also be banned? They can be used by copycats as 'howto' manuals, after all.

What about biographies of serial murderers that graphically detail how they dismember their victims?

Either we have a First Amendment. Or we don't.

So should true-life crime histories also be banned? They can be used by copycats as 'howto' manuals, after all.

What about biographies of serial murderers that graphically detail how they dismember their victims?

Spoken like a true practitioner of beastiality. :devil: Baaaa baaaaaa

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

This isnt a black and white issue.

This is a wrong and sick, IMO it should be banned.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

This isnt a black and white issue.

This is a wrong and sick, IMO it should be banned.

The works of Marquis de Sade were banned for many years on precisely this very theory (wrong and sick = should be banned).

Books such as Justine and 120 Days of Sodom used to be burned; today they are celebrated as great literature.

I'll take my chances with books being available to be read and judged by their readers. Those who find them objectionable need not pick them off the shelves.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It's scary when I agree with you....

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

It's scary when I agree with you....

I agree that we should always protect freedom of speech. That said, you would think a company as big as Amazon would have some idea of the ire that this causes among a significant number of their customers. I am basing this totally on their feedback pages for this book. I agree that this idiot, has every right to self publish a book, that on the surface is so offensive (I haven't personally read it, so I can only guess), but to me, the question isn't if Amazon CAN sell it, but SHOULD Amazon sell it. I guess if enough people DO boycott Amazon, which is something I keep reading could happen, they will take it down. If news stations, or the various children's protective services jump on that bandwagon with support and money, Amazon will have little choice than to hang it's head and say, "Oops, our bad." They can stand on the "freedom of speech", but money will ultimately do the talking.

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Timeline

I agree that we should always protect freedom of speech. That said, you would think a company as big as Amazon would have some idea of the ire that this causes among a significant number of their customers. I am basing this totally on their feedback pages for this book. I agree that this idiot, has every right to self publish a book, that on the surface is so offensive (I haven't personally read it, so I can only guess), but to me, the question isn't if Amazon CAN sell it, but SHOULD Amazon sell it. I guess if enough people DO boycott Amazon, which is something I keep reading could happen, they will take it down. If news stations, or the various children's protective services jump on that bandwagon with support and money, Amazon will have little choice than to hang it's head and say, "Oops, our bad." They can stand on the "freedom of speech", but money will ultimately do the talking.

-Blu-

So should Amazon sell books on homosexuality? how about books on fantasy rape? etc....

You start pulling one thing, you'll need to start pulling everything else.

Pedophilia while a crime in modern times, is something that is very much a part of human nature whether we like it or not....

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

The works of Marquis de Sade were banned for many years on precisely this very theory (wrong and sick = should be banned).

Books such as Justine and 120 Days of Sodom used to be burned; today they are celebrated as great literature.

I'll take my chances with books being available to be read and judged by their readers. Those who find them objectionable need not pick them off the shelves.

We must protect our children from these perverts. You cant compare sadism to pedophilia. Are you suggesting that someday in the future our society might find pedophilia acceptable?

The only reason I can think of to why Amazon is still selling this book is because its making them money. I hardly believe this is a rights issue with Amazon.

Timeline

We must protect our children from these perverts. You cant compare sadism to pedophilia. Are you suggesting that someday in the future our society might find pedophilia acceptable?

The only reason I can think of to why Amazon is still selling this book is because its making them money. I hardly believe this is a rights issue with Amazon.

a century ago, it was acceptable..... don't forget that.

They aren't 'perverts.' It's a legitimate attraction.... There are a lot of people who are 'pedophiles' who don't actually 'act' on their desires out there. It's the same as the fact homosexuals have always been there and are just now in the past 20-30 years being able to come out of the woodwork safely.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline

So should Amazon sell books on homosexuality? how about books on fantasy rape? etc....

You start pulling one thing, you'll need to start pulling everything else.

Pedophilia while a crime in modern times, is something that is very much a part of human nature whether we like it or not....

I guess the greater question is where, if at all, do you draw the line? I think books about homosexuality, S & M, or whatever, between consenting adults is not the problem. The problem is that this book seems to (again, I have not read it) promote sexual activity with children, in fact it sounds like it gives tips on how to go about it in ways to somewhat skirt or diminish the law. I guess I would need to read it to really understand what the author is trying to do, but really have no intention of doing that. I wonder if Amazon also sells books on how to go about blowing up US state buildings and get away with it. Or how to kill politicians, or anyone and do it in a way so as to not get caught. Perhaps they do, I haven't checked. To me, it isn't a question of "could", but "should".

-Blu-

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : Amsterdam

02-27-09: I-129F Sent

03-10-09: I-129F NOA1

06-10-09: I-129F NOA2

06-17-09: Rec'vd by NVC

06-18-09: STUCK IN NVC AP

06-25-09: FINALLY petition on it's way to the embassy

06-29-09: DHL delivered our packet to the embassy in Amsterdam

07-01-09: Rec'd Packet 3!!!!

08-01-09: Rec'd Packet 4

08-25-09: Interview date...APPROVED!!!!

12/12/09: Fiancee arrival date WOOOT!

02/20/10: Married and SOOOO happy!

04/20/10: Sent off AOS (finally!)

05/03/10: Rec'd AOS NOA1

Timeline

I guess the greater question is where, if at all, do you draw the line? I think books about homosexuality, S & M, or whatever, between consenting adults is not the problem. The problem is that this book seems to (again, I have not read it) promote sexual activity with children, in fact it sounds like it gives tips on how to go about it in ways to somewhat skirt or diminish the law. I guess I would need to read it to really understand what the author is trying to do, but really have no intention of doing that. I wonder if Amazon also sells books on how to go about blowing up US state buildings and get away with it. Or how to kill politicians, or anyone and do it in a way so as to not get caught. Perhaps they do, I haven't checked. To me, it isn't a question of "could", but "should".

-Blu-

They still sell 'The Anarchist Cookbook'

'should' is a relative term based on society's current morality. Just how you have your beliefs, others have their beliefs as well. Whether the book is fiction or non-fiction is really irrelevant at the end of the day. Even in fiction, it tells you that someone is obviously thinking up the idea. It's easy to dismiss fiction, but the fact someone has thought it up, means someone out there is probably willing to do it. So even a fiction story on how to kill a politician is the same as a 'how to' non-fiction guide....

There wouldn't be near as much outcry if this book was a story about a man who learned how to skirt the law to have relations with children. That's the thing that needs to be thought about in situations like this... How-to books exist for anything and everything there today. That just may not say 'how-to' on the cover.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!