Operator

She wants to drive?

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

**Waiver** I'm not trying to stereotype or make any sort of derogatory comment.

I'm looking for comments from anyone with experience (or an opinion), who have taught their Chinese wife or girlfriend how to drive. I've given Jane a couple of driving lessons during her visits to the US only to be given lessons myself about my communication skills, or lack thereof. I know that one key to feeling independence as a forigner in this country is a drivers license, so at some point I'd like her to have one.

I have a colleague in Beijing who is a woman, she's 55 and got her license about 3 years ago and I've survived a couple of trips with her but for the most part I think there are very few Chinese women who have much experience behind the wheel.

I guess I'm looking for some guidance for the sake of safety. How have you handled this with your better half?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Haha, it's kind of fun at first. I sat my wife on my lap and let her take the wheel first. I let her get a feel for the steering wheel and turning. Then I let her use the pedals, stressing the importance of knowing the break pedal from the gas pedal. We drove around in the small residential streets around home for a couple of days until I felt comfortable letting her sit in the driver's seat on her own. I'd be reaching over with my hand on her lap, ready to grab the wheel just in case. She's had alot of fun with it, of course there's been some scary moments, and she's done some silly things but so far no damage to the car :thumbs:

3 weeks since we started and she's already getting on the freeway. Still struggle a little on judging distance and turns, as well as driving in reverse, and changing lanes (she forgets to check for cars next to us). :hehe:

~Our AOS Timeline~

2010-Nov-01 Packet submitted (AOS, EAD, AP)

2010-11-03 USPS delivered

2010-11-08 E-notifications received w/ receipt numbers. Check cashed.

2010-11-12 Received NOAs

2010-11-18 Received biometrics appointment letter (12/08 08:00)

2010-12-08 Biometrics completed

2011-01-08 Rec'd NOA for I-485 interview appointment (02/23 10:30)

2011-01-14 Rec'd E-notices for both AP/EAD: AP approved & EAD in production.

2011-01-18 Rec'd E-notices: EAD approved (? was in production stage before)

2011-01-18 Received I-512L AP documents! (postmrkd 1/12)

2011-01-20 Received EAD card! (postmrkd 1/14)

2011-02-23 AOS Interview - APPROVED!

2011-03-03 Received wife's Permanent Resident Card~

2012-11-23 First day we can file to remove conditions

~Our K1 Timeline~

2010-Mar-05 I-129f sent

2010-03-16 NOA1

2010-05-12 NOA2

2010-05-20 @ NVC

2010-05-25 @ Guangzhou Consulate

2010-05-27 Packet 3 Rcvd

2010-05-29 Packet 3 Sent

2010-06-17 Packet 4 mailed out according to DOS

2010-06-24 Fiancee rec'd P4

2010-07-22 Medical exam

2010-07-26 Interview (Pink!)

2010-07-29 VISA via EMS (Happy day!)

2010-08-30 Trip to China, traditional ceremony, unofficial

2010-09-17 POE

2010-09-20 Married! :)

Timeline

I never thought to sit her on my lap...great idea! I just sat her in the drivers seat and tried to talk her through it. I take so many things for granted I guess because I sat in the car watching my parents until I was old enough to drive it came naturally. Not the case for her. The funny thing is she can't ride a bike either...sorry baby. :innocent:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sorry guys, but the first mistake is allowing her to drive on the street. I have taught 5 Japanese foreign exchange students and my ex wife from Peru. FInd a large parking lot like at a mall. either early morning or early evening, with few cars in it. Then have her sit behind the wheel with the engine off.Go over where everything is at least twice, like brakes, turn signals, shifter,ignition and so on. have her make sure the seat is adjusted and she can reach everything.We American Males have long legs, chinese women have short legs.

Then have her start the car, let it roll, no gas and have her brake and release, brake and release. then have her give it some gas, and brake, gas and brake. have her drive around in circles for a while, learning how the car turns. Do this for two or three days. After she has got the starting and stopping and controlling the car, then let her go on the street, slowly, in low traffic areas. Practice a week with her in low traffic areas, then move into busier areas. Just slowly get more and more complicated driving situations. By 3 weeks, normally they can drive well enough to pass the driving test. I know this answer is long, but driving is important and they need to learn to do it right. Bill

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Yeah i probably should've had her do the parking lot first but it worked out fine. Don't forget parallel parking for the driving test :wacko:

~Our AOS Timeline~

2010-Nov-01 Packet submitted (AOS, EAD, AP)

2010-11-03 USPS delivered

2010-11-08 E-notifications received w/ receipt numbers. Check cashed.

2010-11-12 Received NOAs

2010-11-18 Received biometrics appointment letter (12/08 08:00)

2010-12-08 Biometrics completed

2011-01-08 Rec'd NOA for I-485 interview appointment (02/23 10:30)

2011-01-14 Rec'd E-notices for both AP/EAD: AP approved & EAD in production.

2011-01-18 Rec'd E-notices: EAD approved (? was in production stage before)

2011-01-18 Received I-512L AP documents! (postmrkd 1/12)

2011-01-20 Received EAD card! (postmrkd 1/14)

2011-02-23 AOS Interview - APPROVED!

2011-03-03 Received wife's Permanent Resident Card~

2012-11-23 First day we can file to remove conditions

~Our K1 Timeline~

2010-Mar-05 I-129f sent

2010-03-16 NOA1

2010-05-12 NOA2

2010-05-20 @ NVC

2010-05-25 @ Guangzhou Consulate

2010-05-27 Packet 3 Rcvd

2010-05-29 Packet 3 Sent

2010-06-17 Packet 4 mailed out according to DOS

2010-06-24 Fiancee rec'd P4

2010-07-22 Medical exam

2010-07-26 Interview (Pink!)

2010-07-29 VISA via EMS (Happy day!)

2010-08-30 Trip to China, traditional ceremony, unofficial

2010-09-17 POE

2010-09-20 Married! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I have suggestion -

get a quote from any private driving school in yer area -

and then budget yer savings to pay for the classes, in the future.

I did that ages past (prior life, prior wife), it saved me a heart attack, lots of yelling and cursing.

----

IF she gets a license in China - wei - she'll know the pedals and how to turn the wheel, and that's about it. All the rest of it is sooooooooooooo different.

My wife has her license (in China) since February (with two mini vans) and has been very busy with both vehicles (in China).

You might want to also budget for a used Volvo wagon for USA usage - suggest 240 or 740 series for the first year, until she (and yer insurance budget) can handle a new car.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
I never thought to sit her on my lap...great idea! I just sat her in the drivers seat and tried to talk her through it. I take so many things for granted I guess because I sat in the car watching my parents until I was old enough to drive it came naturally. Not the case for her. The funny thing is she can't ride a bike either...sorry baby. :innocent:

Um.. illegal. She SHOULD NOT sit on your lap. It's SO most definitely illegal. Wow. No.

Pay someone to teach her. I read all over the place the is the best thing for you, her and your relationship.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Driving school = Best $$$ you will EVER spend.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Um.. illegal. She SHOULD NOT sit on your lap. It's SO most definitely illegal. Wow. No.

Pay someone to teach her. I read all over the place the is the best thing for you, her and your relationship.

Telling a Chinese person that something is illegal doesn't always have that much impact but I know what you mean, it's probably not that safe either.

Oh yeah absolutely better on the relationship to hire a pro.

:thumbs:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

IF she gets a license in China - wei - she'll know the pedals and how to turn the wheel, and that's about it. All the rest of it is sooooooooooooo different.

I have to disagree with you on that. My wife had a license and drove for several years in China before coming to the US and her transition to driving here has been unbelievably easy. She has been driving here since the day after she arrived and has done great - not so much as a door ding yet :). The only scare that she has given me was on the first day that she drove here she pulled right out in front of a car at a yield sign - she had no idea what a yield sign was because apparently they don't have an equivalent in China but ever since then she has pretty much done everything right.

Filed: IR-2 Country: China
Timeline

I tried teaching my wife how to drive in a golf cart. After her hitting the curbs and her taking out a few rope posts I am scared as hell to let her get behind the wheel of a car. :help:

I had been thinking about taking her to the mall early in the morning and after reading these posts I think I need to bite the bullet.

07/07/09 : Married

08/18/09: I-130 Sent to Chicago

08/20/09: I-130 Received by USCIS

08/25/09: NOA1

09/22/09: NOA2

10/05/09: Received case# and gave emails

10/07/09: Received DS-3032 and AOS email

10/09/09: Sent DS-3032 email to optin electronic filing

10/15/09: Paid both AOS & IV fees

10/16/09: Received email electronic filing accepted

10/18/09: Sent AOS via email

10/23/09: Received email that AOS was accepted and waiting for IV

10/27/09: Sent IV via email

11/10/09: Signon to payment failure

11/19/09: Received email for interview - December 14th

12/14/09: Approved for Visa

12/16/09: Received Visa

Filed: Country:
Timeline

My wife started in a mall parking lot then graduated to driving in our neighborhood. Today she has her license and drives quite well (even if a bit slow)...

Timeline

**Waiver** I'm not trying to stereotype or make any sort of derogatory comment.

I'm looking for comments from anyone with experience (or an opinion), who have taught their Chinese wife or girlfriend how to drive. I've given Jane a couple of driving lessons during her visits to the US only to be given lessons myself about my communication skills, or lack thereof. I know that one key to feeling independence as a forigner in this country is a drivers license, so at some point I'd like her to have one.

I have a colleague in Beijing who is a woman, she's 55 and got her license about 3 years ago and I've survived a couple of trips with her but for the most part I think there are very few Chinese women who have much experience behind the wheel.

I guess I'm looking for some guidance for the sake of safety. How have you handled this with your better half?

I taught both my wife and daughter to drive and do not recommend it. We have a niece coming on a student visa soon and I've told my brother in-law to have her take driving lessons in China. Pay for the lessons if you possibly can. We had more than a year to adjust to each other before beginning the driving lessons and I only did it because there were no Mandarin speakers outside the family who could have done it and nobody like that available to hire. We lived and our relationship survived but I sure don't wish it on anybody else.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Speaking of driving...Can someone with a driver's license from China legally drive in the US?

I did go by the DMV only to be told you can't get a license in Texas until you have at least a one year Visa. I hate to have to wait until the green card stuff comes through for her to drive.

I tried to call my insurance to see if they can insure her...no response back from them.

Our Timeline

March 18, 2010 - I-129F Mailed

March 24, 2010 - Check cashed

March 27, 2010 - Got NOA1 in mail Dated 3/22/2010

June 17, 2010 - NOA2

July 16, 2010 - Arrives at GUZ

July 26, 2010 - Packet 3 Arrives

July 28, 2010 Packet Mailed

Aug 5, 2010 DOS says Packet 3 received

August 23, 2010 Interview Scheduled Sept 27

August 28, 2010 Received Packet 4

September 27, 2010 Interview/Approved

November 5, 2010 Married

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.