kaji

Applying for Green card but have a question

18 posts in this topic

I entered United States on F Visa (student visa).

After graduation, I got job. The company sponsored my H1B visa and I am working with them

since May 2009. My H1B visa started from January 1st 2010. Got my H1B stamped from my home country.

My only concern while applying is that i was involved in an accident

in my college campus while I was on F1 visa. This happened in March

2008. I was arrested for it and charged with hit and run. It was

latter reduced to striking a fixed object and i had to pay $109 fine.

Does this affect my green card application? I have all the supporting

documents. My university police was involved in this and not the state police.

Should i have any issue due to this on my green card application?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I assume you intend to disclose this on the appliation correct?

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Dominica
Timeline

I entered United States on F Visa (student visa).

After graduation, I got job. The company sponsored my H1B visa and I am working with them

since May 2009. My H1B visa started from January 1st 2010. Got my H1B stamped from my home country.

My only concern while applying is that i was involved in an accident

in my college campus while I was on F1 visa. This happened in March

2008. I was arrested for it and charged with hit and run. It was

latter reduced to striking a fixed object and i had to pay $109 fine.

Does this affect my green card application? I have all the supporting

documents. My university police was involved in this and not the state police.

Should i have any issue due to this on my green card application?

u should disclose it. i doubt it will affect anything.

*10/1/08 Married

*11/14/08 Mailed AOS package

*11/17/08 Package Received

*11/25/08 NOA1

*12/12/08 Biometrics

*12/31/08 Notice for Interview Received

* 1/22/09 EAD Card received

*2/19/09 AOS Interview >>Approved

*2/26/09 Welcome letter received

*3/5/09 Green Card received in the mail!!!

Timeline

Yes. I am going to disclose everything. I dont want to hide anything. But my concern is should I hire an attorney for this?

For an accident? No. If there was anything else to it? U were fined so.it can't be thar serious. I wouldn't sweat it.

*10/1/08 Married

*11/25/08 NOA1

*12/12/08 Biometrics

For an accident? No. If there was anything else to it? U were fined so.it can't be thar serious. I wouldn't sweat it.

I was arrested as I was not available at the scene of the accident. No one was hurt. Later the charges were reduced to hitting a striked object and I had to pay $109 fine. My only concerned is that I was finger printed for it. I was asked for the court documents while H1B stamping. They looked at the documents and gave me the stamp. No issue. But it is question of my green card so i am worried.

Timeline

I was arrested as I was not available at the scene of the accident. No one was hurt. Later the charges were reduced to hitting a striked object and I had to pay $109 fine. My only concerned is that I was finger printed for it. I was asked for the court documents while H1B stamping. They looked at the documents and gave me the stamp. No issue. But it is question of my green card so i am worried.

I don't think it should matter unless you don't disclose it.. think of it this way.. if you got thru it the first time, i see no reason why it should be an issue now. i was fingerprinted for assault back in college too.. charges were dismissed but i was still fingerprinted.. never showed up.. i understand ur concern but to be honest with u, i wouldn't sweat it.

*10/1/08 Married

*11/25/08 NOA1

*12/12/08 Biometrics

Filed: Other Timeline

A hit and run can be a deal breaker, as running someone over and then taking off speaks volumes about the person's moral consciousness. However, since the charges were reduced, this should have no impact on your Green Card application. You just need to disclose it.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

A hit and run can be a deal breaker, as running someone over and then taking off speaks volumes about the person's moral consciousness. However, since the charges were reduced, this should have no impact on your Green Card application. You just need to disclose it.

this situation is not all that serious. a hit and run could be basically striking a center divider and driving away, so all the moral talk has nothing to do with anything. it was a 109$ fine and it was reduced. that should show u that it wasn't deemed serious enough.

*10/1/08 Married

*11/25/08 NOA1

*12/12/08 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

** moved from "Adjustment of Status (Green Card) from Family Based Visas" to "Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas" as you are adjusting from a visa other than a K1, K2, K3 & K4 which the prior forum is for **

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Crimes of moral turpitude are basically the same for any immigration benefit, whether it's applying for a visa, applying for a green card, or facing deportation. If the crime wasn't serious enough to make you inadmissible and deny your visa, then it isn't serious enough to deny your green card. Don't sweat it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Crimes of moral turpitude are basically the same for any immigration benefit, whether it's applying for a visa, applying for a green card, or facing deportation. If the crime wasn't serious enough to make you inadmissible and deny your visa, then it isn't serious enough to deny your green card. Don't sweat it.

Should I hire an attorney for my case or should I file my application myself?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Should I hire an attorney for my case or should I file my application myself?

Unless there's more to the story that you've not told us, I don't think you need an attorney.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

Didn't u already get a visa? If there was an issue it would have come up then too.

*10/1/08 Married

*11/25/08 NOA1

*12/12/08 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.