Mike_&_Rossy

Lawyer Up Or No?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi All! New guy here. I love all the info and stories.

Rossy and I are getting married in October in Rosarito just south of the border and Tijuana. I live in Los Angeles about 2 hours north and have been doing the commute weekly and more for over a year. I almost cried when I found out how long it takes to get permission to bring her home. In my Happy World it was going to take one or two months.

So, I am looking at a K-3 (and K-4 for 8 yr old twins,not mine) application and now I see that the CR1 thingy is neck and neck with it and there is some overlap regardless. What does a guy do with that?

Also, you seem like a DIY group. Do I really need to spend money on an immigration attorney? Or is it a matter of just being able to fill out complicated forms? Is an attorney going to do much for me? How are you guys doing it? If I read here till my eyeballs bleed can I find enough info to do it my self? Or is it that to be sure just pay one to keep after things and double check everything that gets turned in?

This newbie thing is strange for me. I am a car guy and usually I am the expert on the message board answering all the questions. Here I am just another FNG missing all the FAQs and not using the search button :-P Speaking of FAQs... is there a page somewhere with all the abbreviations and shorthand?

Mike

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I used a lawyer. That being said....IF i had to do it over, I would do it myself. I had to get all of the documents together for him anyway. Also, the only thing he did was make sure everything was in order and do the cover letter/check list. ALTHOUGH....I WAS glad I had him when my Husband was originally given his 221g-> being sent back to USCIS... ALTHOUGH I was the one to contact my Senator and get things going on that.

Everyone has there own opinion....and you have to do what is best for you. What feels right for you.

Mary K.

Mary (NC) Atif (Youssoufia)

NOA2 for 129F on 16 Nov 2005......NOA2 for I-130 on 28 Nov 2005

INTERVIEW DATE SCHEDULED FOR 9AM[GMT] 27 FEBRUARY 2006-Issued 221g for Validity of relationship....told being sent back to USCIS/Atif Received Visa On 10 March 2006

AOS/EAD

10 July 2006--signed I-485 and I-765

25 July 2006 recieved NOA-1 for both

18 Aug 2006 Biometrics Appt.

21 Oct 2006 EAD arrives in mail

26 Dec 2006 received aapt.->01 Feb 2007 AOS interview->CANCELLED! rescheduled 01 Aug 2007-waiting

09 Feb '07-received denial of AOS--#######??!! MTR filed--Interview-01 Aug 07

27 Sept '07-I-765 [#2] filed--14 Nov '07 Biomerics for I-765 [#2]

Take it from me....GO TO THE AOS INTERVIEW DATE ANYWAY!!!!! EVEN IF YOU GET THE SNAIL MAIL NOTICE!!!

August 2009--Permanent Resident Card arrives!!!!

We are Finished with Immigration for 10 years!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Melinda and I used Holmes and Lolly in San Diego Ca and so far have been very happy with them. All the paperwork was done right the first time and it went through NOA1 and NOA2 very quick, just 62 days.

Also I get fast replies to all of my questions when I call or e mail.

Rob and Melinda

I-129F

Filed New I-129F form with IMBRA June 19, 2006

NOA 1 June 26, 2006

Touched July 3, 2006

I-129F Approved by E mail August 21, 2006, Just 63 Days

NOA 2 for I-129F Received in the Mail August 26th, 2006

I-129F at NVC

Case Number assigned at NVC August 29, 2006 MNL2006XXXXXXXXX

NVC sends the I-129F to the Manila Embassy August 29th, 2006

Embassy in Manila Receives I-129F August 31st, 2006

Packet 4 Received by Melinda from Manila Embassy October 1, 2006

Interview at Us Embassy Manila, October 18, 2006

Visa Approved! Interview Completed.

Visa Delivered by DELBROS October 28th, 2006

October 30, 2006 Arrived back in LAX with Melinda, were going to Disneyland!!!

November 6th, 2006, Melinda and I are back home in Winslow Arizona loving Life!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did it all myself, like has been said the painful bits are down to you anyway.

Your money, your call.

A lawyer makes no difference to speed.

Unless they save you from a mistake or make one themselves.

You will see posts from people who have had good experiances with lawyers and from those who have screwed things up.

Not rocket science.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Mike, you can probably do it yourself if you don't mind filling forms and following instructions to the letter. Immigration timelines show 177 days for a K3 from Mexico. You also need to know what's involved in getting the twins here. You can also plug in here:

others from Mexico

I-130 sent Mar 30, 06

approved Aug 15, 06

I-129f sent April 24, 06

approved July 27, 06

Montreal interview Jan 18, 07

POE Toronto Jan 28, 07

EAD sent Jan. 30, 07

transferred to Vermont Feb 12

biometrics Feb 22

approved March 13

card returned undeliverable! March 27

called after 6 weeks to have EAD re-sent

AOS sent Jan. 30, 07

biometrics Feb 22

RFE for complete medical (!) Feb 23

Called Senator from NJ - never returned call

Infopass March 19 (no help)

Replied to RFE with duplicate medical March 19

Sent additional evidence (I-693A) March 26

NBC received supplement March 30

touched April 4

Interview July 16

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Venezuela
Timeline

I guess it really depends on your situation. I have been residing with my wife outside the U.S. for a year now (fun prettending to be retired at 30) and having an attorney has been helpful. Since we are living off savings any time we save by not making mistakes is worth it. On the other hand as you explore this website you will find it very helpful. If you are staying in the U.S. you could easily do this yourself with help from this site. I would just double and triple check your work. I wish I knew of this site befor I started but with my situation it was good to have an attorney with power of attorney (I.E. to sighn the RFEs etc.). Good Luck!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Thanks guys, thanks for the tips. This site has demistified things quite a bit for me.

I am leaning towards doing it my self but looking for a lawyer to check the packet that I assemble for mistakes and such. Paying someone hundreds of dollars an hour to fill out info on a form I can download my self seems a little silly. And then if I run into problems or need some quick advice I'll have someone to go to that is familiar with things. I have time to interview a few and find one with the right experience and attitude for working with me.

Mike

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

I hired a lawyer and ended up doing all of the work myself. If you have the time, I would definately do it yourself.

Our first child, Henry III was born on August 29, 2009!

Thank You Jesus!

MARRIED IN LIMA, PERU 02/21/2004

I-130 TIMELINE

I-130 Receipt Date 03/15/2004

I-130 Approved 11/26/2004

I-129F TIMELINE

I-129F Receipt Date 04/09/2004

I-129F Approval 10/08/2004

NVC TIMELINE

I-129F Received By NVC 10/13/2004

Case Number Assigned 10/14/2004

Case Forwarded To US Embassy In Lima, Peru 10/20/2004, E-mail Notification 10/20/2004

Case Forwarded To US Embassy In Lima, Peru 10/20/2004, Postal Mail Notification, 10/23/2004

US EMBASSY, LIMA, PERU

I-129F Received by Embassy 10/26/2004

Interview Date 11/23/2004, Visa denied, Pink paper issued requesting husband's presence at interview.

Went to Peru, 11/25/2004

Visa approved by Embassy, 11/26/2004

Picked up Visa at Embassy, 11/29/2004

ARRIVED IN MIAMI, FLORIDA, USA

12/03/2004 Thank God!

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS PERMANENT RESIDENT

Approved 07/27/2006, Orlando, Florida

Thank God!

US CITIZENSHIP, NATURALIZATION

N-400 Received 06/03/2009

Fingerprint Notification 06/11/2009

Yellow Letter 07/29/2009

Interview Letter Received 08/15/2009

Interview Scheduled For 09/21/2009

Filed: Timeline

Mike,

There are 2 ways to use an attorney - retain one to work the case for or with you, and consult with one so that you can see if there are potential issues that would make you decide one way or the other about retaining.

A consultation is cheap and is always a worthwhile investment.

Yodrak

Hi All! New guy here. I love all the info and stories.

Rossy and I are getting married in October in Rosarito just south of the border and Tijuana. I live in Los Angeles about 2 hours north and have been doing the commute weekly and more for over a year. I almost cried when I found out how long it takes to get permission to bring her home. In my Happy World it was going to take one or two months.

So, I am looking at a K-3 (and K-4 for 8 yr old twins,not mine) application and now I see that the CR1 thingy is neck and neck with it and there is some overlap regardless. What does a guy do with that?

Also, you seem like a DIY group. Do I really need to spend money on an immigration attorney? Or is it a matter of just being able to fill out complicated forms? Is an attorney going to do much for me? How are you guys doing it? If I read here till my eyeballs bleed can I find enough info to do it my self? Or is it that to be sure just pay one to keep after things and double check everything that gets turned in?

This newbie thing is strange for me. I am a car guy and usually I am the expert on the message board answering all the questions. Here I am just another FNG missing all the FAQs and not using the search button :-P Speaking of FAQs... is there a page somewhere with all the abbreviations and shorthand?

Mike

Filed: Timeline

We retained a lawyer and at this point if we had to do it all over again we would opt to go solo and do it alone. This web site is a great source for finding help in going through the process. Wish we would have found it sooner. It could have saved us lots of time and money and the run around.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Melinda and I used Holmes and Lolly in San Diego Ca and so far have been very happy with them. All the paperwork was done right the first time and it went through NOA1 and NOA2 very quick, just 62 days.

Also I get fast replies to all of my questions when I call or e mail.

Rob and Melinda

Hello Rob and Melinda,

I'm glad to hear that your papers went quickly. My husband did not used lawyer but I'm very thankful to GOD our papers went so quickly. Our I-129F NOA1 and NOA2 took 75 days. I will have my interview this Thursday August 24, 2006. I wish you will received your packet soon.

Timeline:

08-15-05 - First met in person (Davao City)

08-21-05 - Got engaged

11-03-05 - Second visit waiting for our wedding

11-10-05 - Wedding Day

11-11-05 - Honeymoon (Pearl Farm Resort 2 nights)

12-08-05 - CFO Seminar (Got Certificate)

01-26-06 - I-129F Sent

02-02-06 - I-129F NOA1 Received

03-12-06 - Third visit of my hubby

04-11-06 - I-129F NOA2 Received

04-25-06 - Consulate Received

05-23-06 - Packet 4 Sent

06-16-06 - Packet Received delivered at home by DELBROS

06-20-06 - Fourth visit of my hubby and I've done my med. exam. too (PASSED)

08-24-06 - INTERVIEW

09-10-06 - Fifth visit of my hubby and we will be waiting the VISA. We will be going to US together.

I-130

11-19-05 - I-130 Sent

01-07-06 - I-130 NOA1

04-18-06 - I-130 Approval

God Bless!

Sweety_33

Mike

You may also want to consider that there is approx a 1 year wait for CR-1 interviews in Mexico, so having the I-130 approved and processed through NVC for the CR-1 may not be what you both want.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.