68 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
hm.....that's a good point. I'll have to keep that in mind.

What is naturalization? is that when you recieve the green card?

No. It's when you apply to become a US citizen. If you're still married to your current hubby then you can apply after 3 years of being an LPR

Timeline
I was about to say the same thing: I wouldn't complicate things right now by changing my name. You can do that anytime after ROC. I didn't change it either, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. I would probably change it after naturalization. :star: I hate travelling and carrying my passport with my maiden name, GC on a different name and my marriage certificate as well to prove the validity of these docs.

I agree with carrying multiple docs being an issue but...

I was committed to changing my name. ROC isn't for 2 years and I wanted to be Mrs. Tony and not married for 2 years and still going by my maiden name.

Changing your name on the docs is SO simple. Super super simple. You basically just write it on the forms under "current name" and your maiden name under "other names" (where asked).

I have been married since Nov 7th 2009 and I JUST got around to changing my passport. All my american stuff was in my married name. I only changed my passport so late because I only got my GC in July. Perhaps before you 100% commit, look into how hard it will be to change your passport from the US (you don't HAVE to, some people don't bother). I'm in australia visiting family so while here i've changed all my stuff into my married name here as well. I very much prefer it (although I still refer to myself as my maiden name when calling people because they're still confused :P)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I was about to say the same thing: I wouldn't complicate things right now by changing my name. You can do that anytime after ROC. I didn't change it either, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. I would probably change it after naturalization. :star: I hate travelling and carrying my passport with my maiden name, GC on a different name and my marriage certificate as well to prove the validity of these docs.

I was reading your "visa journey" just now, and i see you guys were transfered from va to baltimore??? is that normal? is that the reason why it took a year to recieve the green card?

My I-94 expires in January 14, 2011, i hope i get my interview by then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

hm.....that's a good point. I'll have to keep that in mind.

What is naturalization? is that when you recieve the green card?

No, naturalization means getting your US citizenship.

However, choosing the right time to change your name is your own decision. As Vanessa said - you can do it after you get the 10 years GC as well.

If you look at my signature, you will see that I lived in VA while I was appliying for AOS. If you have any questions about particular offices , let me know.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Timeline

I was reading your "visa journey" just now, and i see you guys were transfered from va to baltimore??? is that normal? is that the reason why it took a year to recieve the green card?

The case was transferred to Maryland because we moved there after the interview as we purchased a home. That delayed the decision a little bit because the folks at the Fairfax, VA office didn't transfer my case right away, even though we changed the addresses with USCIS and went on infopass appointments to confirm the address change. It's a long story, and believe me I cried out loud on this forum many times while I was waiting for a response from USCIS. I'm glad it's over.

My N-400 Journey

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

My ROC Journey

My AOS Journey

04-19-10 AOS Approved

Timeline

I agree with carrying multiple docs being an issue but...

I was committed to changing my name. ROC isn't for 2 years and I wanted to be Mrs. Tony and not married for 2 years and still going by my maiden name.

Changing your name on the docs is SO simple. Super super simple. You basically just write it on the forms under "current name" and your maiden name under "other names" (where asked).

I have been married since Nov 7th 2009 and I JUST got around to changing my passport. All my american stuff was in my married name. I only changed my passport so late because I only got my GC in July. Perhaps before you 100% commit, look into how hard it will be to change your passport from the US (you don't HAVE to, some people don't bother). I'm in australia visiting family so while here i've changed all my stuff into my married name here as well. I very much prefer it (although I still refer to myself as my maiden name when calling people because they're still confused :P)

Vanessa- applying for a Romanian passport in your new MARRIED name - either from US or Romania is a pain, IF the actual wedding takes place in US. That's another reason that made me decide to wait until I am elligible to apply for a US passport.

My N-400 Journey

My ROC Journey

My AOS Journey

04-19-10 AOS Approved

Timeline
Vanessa- applying for a Romanian passport in your new MARRIED name - either from US or Romania is a pain, IF the actual wedding takes place in US. That's another reason that made me decide to wait until I am elligible to apply for a US passport.

There you go :) Sounds like the decision just there :) OR you can do what i did for the first few months and have one country know you as one thing, and the other country know you as the other. Completely up to you because it's not illegal :) Good luck with your decision :D

Of course a lawyer is going to tell you you need a lawyer... they sell a service. At this stage, there is nothing a lawyer can do differently than you. I can tell you are scared but it seems you keep looking for a reason to be scared.

1. put N/A - you do not have a SSN.

2. Put N/A - you do not have an A number (that is Alien number).

3. Looks like you did NOT change your name legally yet. In some states you can check a box to change your name automatically when you get married, but it looks like you either did not do that or that your state doesn't offer the service.

4. Eligibility category is C9.

5. Yes to cover letter.

6. You need 7 photos of yourself and only one of your husband. You also omitted any evidence of bona fide marriage, which is required for I-130. There is a list of items you can include in the instructions. You need two separate checks, one for $355, and one for $1010 (these amounts are changing soon, but will still be two separate checks). You also need the affidavit of support (I-864 I think is the number).

7. Yes to one envelope. yes to Chicago lockbox for CONCURRENT filers.

Good luck.

Spot on, Harpa! Good advice and accurate info! :thumbs: :thumbs:

07-27-2010 Married while on B2 visa

10-04-2010 AOS (EAD, AP) mailed to Chicago Lockbox

10-06-2010 Chicago received

10-14-2010 NOA1 text and email messages, online check

10-14-2010 TOUCH

10-17-2010 Received NOA1s in the mail, plus returned check for affidavit of support??

10-18-2010 TOUCH .. Biometrics NOA mailed

10-22-2010 Called to correct name, service request filed

10-25-2010 TOUCH - I-485 only

10-26-2010 TOUCH - I-485 only?? Am sensing a RFE coming my way :-(

10-27-2010 Biometrics successfully walked in :-)

10-29-2010 TOUCH on i-765, I-130 and I-131

You don't need to have your interview by the time the i94 expires, you just need proof that your visa status was legal at the time that you applied and that this has been received by uscis. Specifically that means you need to include a copy front and back of the i94 in your AOS pack to uscis and once you get your NOA1 for the i485 back from uscis, you HAVE to stay into country, even if your visa expires.

07-27-2010 Married while on B2 visa

10-04-2010 AOS (EAD, AP) mailed to Chicago Lockbox

10-06-2010 Chicago received

10-14-2010 NOA1 text and email messages, online check

10-14-2010 TOUCH

10-17-2010 Received NOA1s in the mail, plus returned check for affidavit of support??

10-18-2010 TOUCH .. Biometrics NOA mailed

10-22-2010 Called to correct name, service request filed

10-25-2010 TOUCH - I-485 only

10-26-2010 TOUCH - I-485 only?? Am sensing a RFE coming my way :-(

10-27-2010 Biometrics successfully walked in :-)

10-29-2010 TOUCH on i-765, I-130 and I-131

Timeline

Ok, so i have got to say i got more info in one day than i got in months while I was researching on my own without asking questions.Every case is a bit different and you will not get the right answer unless you ask and tell people your specific case. I am glad i found this website, and I am glad there are people nice enough to help me.

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Kyrgyzstan
Timeline

I am so nervous not hiring a lawyer! Because i came in us in my B1/B2 visa, and even though my husband and I were together for over 4 years before we got together, they want proof that i did not came in us on a tourist with the intent of getting married. And i find that a bit hard .. its not like i have a receipt for that...

We know most of the process, i have been on this website long enough to learn from so many other people who have been through this, but i guess it's my tourist visa that makes me concerned, and maybe a lawyer will be able to help us in that regard.

Also we have found one, and they only charge $700, and they do the filing and everything...not bad, i have heard some people pay serious money for this type of process.

Chances are when we are going to be done i will say: yeah...we did not need a lawyer!!

hey,

I also came on B1/B2 visa and we got married about the same time. i didn't have an intent to misues the visa, and I was also nervous about overstaying and applying for AOS. we sent our papers this week. if you search more you'll find people adjusting their status coming from different backgrounds and your case is not the only and worse one.

I'd suggest not to hire a lawyer since you don't have that kind of money, but instead read carefully all the instructions of the forms you have to send and if you have questions, look for answers here, there are experienced people who are kind enough to answer your questions.

another thing about your maiden name - if you want to be on your husband's name - then you gotta fill out whatever forms you have to fill out under his last name, because during this process they will change it. but you have to call your country's consulate to let them know that you got married and changing your last name, and then you'd need to go through the whole process of changing your name through them so that you have your married name in your country as well - but it's best to take care of it after your AOS is approved.

don't be nervous, you are in this situation and you have to adjust your status, so take measures and do what you need to do.

cheers and good luck!

Timeline

:help: I just filed out my forms, and for those of you who (maybe) still remember me, i have few more questions. Some of them are a bit confusing, so i thought i'd better ask so i dont make any mistakes(as we dedcided to not hire a lawyer after all).

1. On the G-325A, all the way at the bottom, they ask if the form is submitted in conection with an aplicant for:

a.naturalization

b.status as permanent resident I would say it's b, is that correct?

c. other(please specify)

2.I was told not to put any A number, but in some of these posts i saw the A number is on the visa( where it says anotation and it's 8 digits number) i have that on my passport, should i put it???

3. On the I-765 form, they ask for current imigration status, if i am a visitor, i will put visitor, even if i am married to a us citizen and applying for aos?

4. when all this is done, i put my name on the back of each picture(using a pencil), and just put all the forms and copies, and everything into the envelope? is there a standard way i need to organize everything?(like attach the pictures to the forms,or put each form into an envelope with a cover letter on the front..etc)

Thanks for baring with me, i know some of these questions are soooo silly to you, but i want to make sure i am doing everything right.

For some reason i am sure i will have some more questions before i submit my envelope(doing my I-693 this week, my hubby has yet to complete all of his forms, so we might have some questions there as well.

Thanks again for all the help

Heya silvana.

1. Put b. You are applying for permanent resident status.

2. A-number is Alien number, not annotation number. You shouldn't have one yet because you have not applied for US immigration before.

3. We put B-2 visitor. Marriage by itself does not give you a status. They will know from other places what you are applying for.

4. Anything that is organized is the best way.

Get those forms sent off already! ;)

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Timeline

Heya silvana.

1. Put b. You are applying for permanent resident status.

2. A-number is Alien number, not annotation number. You shouldn't have one yet because you have not applied for US immigration before.

3. We put B-2 visitor. Marriage by itself does not give you a status. They will know from other places what you are applying for.

4. Anything that is organized is the best way.

Get those forms sent off already! ;)

Thank you!!!!! this helps me a lot!!!

and one more question, next to A number, they ask for class of admision? is that B2(since i am a visitor)?

this week i am doing medical so hopefully next week we can get the ball rolling.

tx

Thank you!!!!! this helps me a lot!!!

and one more question, next to A number, they ask for class of admision? is that B2(since i am a visitor)?

this week i am doing medical so hopefully next week we can get the ball rolling.

tx

Yes.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.