68 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

Yes Silvana, I am Romanian. :innocent:

1. If you decide to file for AOS from B2 - Whenever you filled out the forms, make sure you include all the places you have worked, even though you were not supposed to work on a tourist visa.

Also, there might be a price increase for AOS filing fees in November, so it would be great if you could get things done before this major change occurs.

2. If you don't want to follow the AOS from B2 route, for your piece of mind

go back home and you will file for a CR-1 visa. You already have your return ticket and there is plenty of info on this forum if you decide to take this route.

Good luck!

I never worked in us. I did worked on cruise ships but i have a sea man visa for that, that was perfectly legal, so i am good in that area. Are you sure about the price change in november? where can i get more info on that??

I have a very good friend who followed the K3 visa, went back to romania, and applied for one. almost a year and a half later, and lots of money spent on plane tickets back and forth they were together. :wow:

Thanks again for the help!

Timeline

Thank you guys for helping me. your help is so needed and soooo apreciated!!!!

We got in touch with a couple of lawyers and they are all for "you DO need to get a lawyer considering the fact you got married on a tourist visa...bla bla...and to hear that is scary since we have never been in this situation, and it's a very important step in our lives...

Yes, our relationship is a real one(over 4 years), we met on cruise ships ...we worked together for about 3 years in which we were together 24/7. I know most of the steps in AOS, and i already filled out my forms, but i have a couple of questions, and if you guys have the time and will to answer them, i would really apreciate it!!!

1. On the I-765(work authorization) on question nr.9, they ask for SSN, do i put N/A(since i dont have one) or i have to put something?

2. I-131(travel form) they ask for an A-number. What is that? The I-94 Nr maybe?

3. Should i file under my maiden name since all my doc.(passport, I94)are in my maiden name?.People asked me if i changed my name. the only thing i know is that we have a piece of paper (the marriage licence), that sais :silvana toma(my maiden name) and brock bakos(my husbands name)other than that, we have no other papers stating that my name has been changed. Do i need to go and apply for a name change?

4. On the I-765 question 16, eligibility categories, i am so confused, i read the uscis instructions and i still dont know what to put?????? :(

5. Should we have a cover letter?

6.Here i have my check list, please tell me if i am missing anything:

I-485(application for AOS)

I-130(petition for alien relative)

I-131(application for travel document)

I-765(application for work authorization)

I-693(Med. exam completed by uscis aproved dr.)

G-325(for both of us)

A copy of:

My birth certificate(translated and certified)

My hubby's birth certificate

My I-94

My passport

My tourist visa

Our marriage certificate

My husbands last year tax return

My husbands last 3 months pay checks?

8 passport photos(of me)

4 passport photos(of hubby)

Money orders in the amount of 1,350 (not completly sure the exact amount, but thats easy to check)

All these get in ONE envelope, and they are sent to the chicago lockbox?

Again, Thank you so much. And if you can not help me with all the questions no worries, any help you can give me will truly be very apreciated.

Of course a lawyer is going to tell you you need a lawyer... they sell a service. At this stage, there is nothing a lawyer can do differently than you. I can tell you are scared but it seems you keep looking for a reason to be scared.

1. put N/A - you do not have a SSN.

2. Put N/A - you do not have an A number (that is Alien number).

3. Looks like you did NOT change your name legally yet. In some states you can check a box to change your name automatically when you get married, but it looks like you either did not do that or that your state doesn't offer the service.

4. Eligibility category is C9.

5. Yes to cover letter.

6. You need 7 photos of yourself and only one of your husband. You also omitted any evidence of bona fide marriage, which is required for I-130. There is a list of items you can include in the instructions. You need two separate checks, one for $355, and one for $1010 (these amounts are changing soon, but will still be two separate checks). You also need the affidavit of support (I-864 I think is the number).

7. Yes to one envelope. yes to Chicago lockbox for CONCURRENT filers.

Good luck.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

1. On the I-765(work authorization) on question nr.9, they ask for SSN, do i put N/A(since i dont have one) or i have to put something?

2. I-131(travel form) they ask for an A-number. What is that? The I-94 Nr maybe?

3. Should i file under my maiden name since all my doc.(passport, I94)are in my maiden name?.People asked me if i changed my name. the only thing i know is that we have a piece of paper (the marriage licence), that sais :silvana toma(my maiden name) and brock bakos(my husbands name)other than that, we have no other papers stating that my name has been changed. Do i need to go and apply for a name change?

4. On the I-765 question 16, eligibility categories, i am so confused, i read the uscis instructions and i still dont know what to put?????? :(

5. Should we have a cover letter?

6.Here i have my check list, please tell me if i am missing anything:

I-485(application for AOS)

I-130(petition for alien relative)

I-131(application for travel document)

I-765(application for work authorization)

I-693(Med. exam completed by uscis aproved dr.)

G-325(for both of us)

A copy of:

My birth certificate(translated and certified)

My hubby's birth certificate

My I-94

My passport

My tourist visa

Our marriage certificate

My husbands last year tax return

My husbands last 3 months pay checks?

8 passport photos(of me)

4 passport photos(of hubby)

Money orders in the amount of 1,350 (not completely sure the exact amount, but thats easy to check)

All these get in ONE envelope, and they are sent to the chicago lockbox?

1. N/A

2. N/A

3. Yes. Just double check your state requirements. Most likely just the marriage cert is needed.

4. c9 "adjustment applicant"

5. You don't need one. Typically they don't check it but I included one so that I could be sure I had all the docs I needed.. treated it like my own checklist

6. As for your packet, the photo's are 7 for you, 1 for your husband. Usually money orders are limited to $1000 (from memory of previous posts). It is okay to then separate the cheques. Personal cheques are better so you can track payment. Pay slips are not required unless his 2009 return isn't over the 125% of the poverty line, speaking of, you haven't mentioned the I-864. payment amounts are soon to go up. There is ONE fee for AOS (inc AP and EAD in the cost), and ONE fee for the I-130.

yes in one packet.

3. Looks like you did NOT change your name legally yet. In some states you can check a box to change your name automatically when you get married, but it looks like you either did not do that or that your state doesn't offer the service.

5. Yes to cover letter.

6. You need 7 photos of yourself and only one of your husband. You also omitted any evidence of bona fide marriage, which is required for I-130. There is a list of items you can include in the instructions. You need two separate checks, one for $355, and one for $1010 (these amounts are changing soon, but will still be two separate checks). You also need the affidavit of support (I-864 I think is the number).

Corrections:

3. Legal name change just occurs by marriage in many states. Not all states have the married name listed. Write your NEW name on the paperwork (which is his surname if you've chosen to take his name). Remember to write your maiden name in the "other names used" box. Double check your state requirements on name change. Most typically it it just the marriage cert.

6. Cheque can be one cheque. It does not need to be separated.

Thanks for corrections Vanessa. Though, are you sure that one check is okay for concurrent filers? I am pretty sure I have seen people get their applications sent back for including only one check (Biometrics and I-485 fee can be together... it's for the same application, but I really think the I-130 fee needs to be separate) . The concurrent I-130/I-485 itself indicates two separate applications sent together... I will double check the directions in the meantime.

Agreed about different state's policies on name change, but I can't see how they can change it for you just by getting married without your consent.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

Of course a lawyer is going to tell you you need a lawyer... they sell a service. At this stage, there is nothing a lawyer can do differently than you. I can tell you are scared but it seems you keep looking for a reason to be scared.

5. Yes to cover letter.

Good luck.

OMG, thank you sooooo much!!!!! i knew i needed someone to take a look at my checklist. I am so glad i asked!!!!

Do you think I should change my name and then do the forms again, I heard its going to cost $300 if I do it later.

Also, we have some proof of bona fide, that's like: joint bank account, i am on his life insurance, we have health insurance(he put me on his), we have family cell phone plan,the lease on the apartment is only in my husbands name since all this was very unexpecteded should we change it?, except that we have thousands of pictures all around the world. Should we have anything else?

Again, I can not thank you enough!! I hope one day i will be as experienced as you are so i can also help other people.

Timeline

Thanks for corrections Vanessa. Though, are you sure that one check is okay for concurrent filers? I am pretty sure I have seen people get their applications sent back for including only one check (Biometrics and I-485 fee can be together... it's for the same application, but I really think the I-130 fee needs to be separate) . The concurrent I-130/I-485 itself indicates two separate applications sent together... I will double check the directions in the meantime.

Agreed about different state's policies on name change, but I can't see how they can change it for you just by getting married without your consent.

Thanks for the reply!!

I think the lady at the courthouse might have mentioned something about name change, but i think she said after getting married we have to file for it or something. We were so nervous and excited that we missed the important things she told us... :bonk:

We will go back and try to change it!!

Thank you soooo much.

You're welcome.

I also remembered that you need to include your husband's W-2's.

I don't know about your name change, sorry. Every state is different, and I don't know all the rules. I would check with your state. If your name did not change legally with the marriage then you need to change it somehow (that is if you want to change it... you do not have to).

Include the evidence (photos are not required at this stage but you can add some if you want). Your other evidence sounds great. As far as apartment, if it is easy to add you to the lease, then do it. If it will take a long time then don't sweat it. You are newlyweds and they understand it takes some time to get things organized.

Good luck!

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Timeline

I can not thank you enough for all the help, i will keep you posted how it goes. I am preety sure i will have few more questions down the line, but it's nice to know there is such thing as a website with people helping other people...FOR FREE!! I am still very impressed and happy at the same time that I have found this website.

Timeline

You're welcome.

I also remembered that you need to include your husband's W-2's.

I don't know about your name change, sorry. Every state is different, and I don't know all the rules. I would check with your state. If your name did not change legally with the marriage then you need to change it somehow (that is if you want to change it... you do not have to).

Include the evidence (photos are not required at this stage but you can add some if you want). Your other evidence sounds great. As far as apartment, if it is easy to add you to the lease, then do it. If it will take a long time then don't sweat it. You are newlyweds and they understand it takes some time to get things organized.

Good luck!

W2 is the tax return right? do we need to send last years tax return?

We will try to change the name before we submit the paperwork in, just so we dont have to do it later since i heard it cost $300..

Thanks for the help

Timeline

Yep. 100% sure that one cheque is fine. People get their cheques sent back for many reasons, be it in the wrong name, the amount written in words wrong.. that's when I reference this: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3850a99ba78af110VgnVCM1000004718190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

As for name change, they don't ACTUALLY change your name, you are the one who has the option to, the marriage cert gives you that option. Typically you would go to the SSA with your marriage licence and form filled out with the new surname on it. The marriage certificate acts as proof of surname change. Then you can go to the DMV etc etc. In states like Iowa (where I'm living) there is a place to write my name before and after marriage. In THAT case, if I didn't write my new name on the marriage certificate, then I would need to get a court order.

Timeline
W2 is the tax return right? do we need to send last years tax return?

We will try to change the name before we submit the paperwork in, just so we dont have to do it later since i heard it cost $300..

Thanks for the help

If you obtain IRS Tax transcripts then W2s are not required (w2's are given by the employer and state the yearly earnings for tax purposes. They list money earnt, tax taken out etc.. your USC husband will know) . If you are including tax returns INSTEAD of IRS transcript then you need to include w2s, 1099's and schedules as appropriate. Tax transcripts are the best option.

You don't have to change your name now if you don't want to but otherwise you are correct, it's $370 to get a replacement GC if you want to change your name... OR you can just wait for ROC and change it then OR you can wait for naturalisation.

What state are you from? I can look up the name change stuff now (or try to) but I'm pretty confident you're fine just with the marriage certificate

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I was about to say the same thing: I wouldn't complicate things right now by changing my name. You can do that anytime after ROC. I didn't change it either, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. I would probably change it after naturalization. :star: I hate travelling and carrying my passport with my maiden name, GC on a different name and my marriage certificate as well to prove the validity of these docs.

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Timeline

If you obtain IRS Tax transcripts then W2s are not required (w2's are given by the employer and state the yearly earnings for tax purposes. They list money earnt, tax taken out etc.. your USC husband will know) . If you are including tax returns INSTEAD of IRS transcript then you need to include w2s, 1099's and schedules as appropriate. Tax transcripts are the best option.

You don't have to change your name now if you don't want to but otherwise you are correct, it's $370 to get a replacement GC if you want to change your name... OR you can just wait for ROC and change it then OR you can wait for naturalisation.

What state are you from? I can look up the name change stuff now (or try to) but I'm pretty confident you're fine just with the marriage certificate

We are from virginia, as per the W2's I will have my husband take a look tonight, he would know what is what. thanks for the help.

Timeline

I was about to say the same thing: I wouldn't complicate things right now by changing my name. You can do that anytime after ROC. I didn't change it either, just to make sure everything goes smoothly. I would probably change it after naturalization. :star: I hate travelling and carrying my passport with my maiden name, GC on a different name and my marriage certificate as well to prove the validity of these docs.

hm.....that's a good point. I'll have to keep that in mind.

What is naturalization? is that when you recieve the green card?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.