IndigoSkies

FACT: USCIS MONITORS social networks..

75 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

I read it. I dont trust the privact settings. This is big brother. He can get around privacy settings and passwords. We have given him ultimate authority in the name of national security. I will be surprised if Big brother can't restore what I have deleted, if he really wants to.

Well if you're really that concerned, you should probably delete your VJ account too. :lol:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

It would be very difficult to match me with my VJ account, although I have thought about deleting my VJ account.

No way, it would be totally easy if you were a USCIS adjudicator. All they'd have to do was look for a CSC IR1/CR1 filer with an NOA1 date of 06/02/10 with the names of the couple as Jim and Irina. Then they'd have a whole file full of all your intimate details. Scary though, eh? :blink:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

No way, it would be totally easy if you were a USCIS adjudicator. All they'd have to do was look for a CSC IR1/CR1 filer with an NOA1 date of 06/02/10 with the names of the couple as Jim and Irina. Then they'd have a whole file full of all your intimate details. Scary though, eh? :blink:

Looks like I will be deleting this account. see ya

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

DHS does not need to 'friend' someone to access the account... They have thorough access to all social networks through the whole 911 national security premise.. as has been said a million times over.. if there is anything that you dont want the world to see or know about you.. then dont post it on the internet...

"Every one of us bears within himself the possibilty of all passions, all destinies of life in all its forms. Nothing human is foreign to us" - Edward G. Robinson.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well if they're watching, Expedite my dang I-130..pls..lol

LOL i know eh?!!!

well if they are watching, thats good! it will show that we are all real people wanting to come to the USA for the right reasons! LOVE! (L)

Jen

"Canadian in Georgia"

While I believe that some officers may look up Facebook if they think it contains some info that is relevant to the case, I doubt that it's a practice for them to automatically scrutinize every single social website or Immigration Forum.

First, I'm sure they don't have the time or resources to pay someone to skim trough the endless sea of posts that are out there.

Second, why would they do it? As I said, they can look up something about a case they have; maybe someone mentioned "hey, him and I met on Facebook, trough his sister". The officer can look up Facebook to see if they can find and confirm that info, but why would they randomly look at immigration websites? Surely, we know that they are not confirming or denying information given by other members, and I doubt enough details are given here for them to pinpoint anyone, find where they live and act up on whatever information they found online.

A few months/years back, there was a member who said that they worked for USCIS. He was here with us because he was engaged to someone from another country. He was nice enough to answer questions (you can still find the "interview" somewhere on VJ) and he said that most people at USCIS are not aware of VJ, or if they are, they do not visit it.

These practices aren't nearly as time consuming as you might imagine. All they need is a program that is set to scan through thousands of pages of information until it finds what it is that was typed into the search parameters. Once it finds a hit the user can simply look up who posted the information through their IP address. From this number they'll be able to pinpoint exactly where and who you are. And it's not just government agencies who have this ability, most website owners/runners can get this info as well.

Some people find it scary or irritating to know the government could be watching them, but the way I see it is if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

K1 Visa

I-129F Sent :------------------2010-07-28

I-129F NOA1 :----------------2010-08-05

Transferred to CSC:--------2010-08-10

I-129F NOA2 :----------------2011-01-04

NVC Left :----------------------2011-01-19

Consulate Received :------2011-01-25

Packet 3 Received :---------2011-01-27

Packet 3 Sent :---------------2011-01-27

Packet 4 Received :---------2011-02-17

Interview Date :---------------2011-02-24

Visa Received :---------------2011-03-07

Flight: March 10th 2011!

Married: March 22nd 2011!

AOS

AOS Packet sent :------------2011-04-28

NOA1 :---------------------------2011-05-04

I-485 RFE :---------------------2011-05-16

Biometrics letter : ------------2011-05-23

Biometrics Walk-In :---------2011-05-26

RFE Response :--------------2011-05-31

Transferred to CSC :--------2011-06-14

EAD Approved :---------------2011-06-24

AP Approved :-----------------2011-06-28

EAD / AP Received :--------2011-07-02

AOS Approved :---------------2011-08-04

That's why they do background checks, they are looking for fraud and terror threats. They aren't seeking to keep legitimate people out, so why worry unless you have a reason too. :yes:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Lol, I never updated my status... so after a few of my relatives became friends on facebook and noticed mine said "relationship" I got a few calls.... wanting to know if I got divorced... Point is: I wouldn't underestimate the power of social networking sites in ppl forming opinions about you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Exactly freetv! If you want to know about your presence on the web, try typing your name into www.spokeo.com. This is what is called an "aggregator" site that finds you on all the different sites that you've forgotten you were ever a member of. My status using spokeo showed up as single! I figured out that spokeo was getting this from my ancient MySpace account that I hadn't updated since 2007.

Marriage: 09-22-2007

Conditional Residence

I-130 Sent: 10-10-2007

I-130 Approved: 06-03-2008 (236 days from VSC receipt to approval)

Case Complete at NVC: 07-30-2008 (52 days from NVC receipt to approval)

Consulate Interview date: 09-24-2008

POE Miami: 10-04-2008

Removal of Conditions

I-751 Sent: 07-08-2010

NOA1 Date: 07-12-2010

Biometrics Appt.: 09-01-2010 (Early Bio 08-13-2010)

Approved: 11-03-2010 (114 days from VSC receipt to approval)

GC Rec'd: 11-06-2010

Citizenship

N-400 Sent: 07-08-2011

Confirmation Text Message: 07-14-2011

NOA Priority Date: 07-12-2011

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: 08-01-2011

Biometrics Appt.: 08-19-2011 (Early Bio 08-12-2011)

"Placed in Line" Email and Touched: 08-16-2011

"Interview Scheduled" Email and Touched: 12-23-2011

Rec'd Interview Letter: 12-27-2011

Interview Passed: 01-30-2012

Email from Senator's Office Stating Application Was Approved: 06-18-2012

"Oath Scheduling Que" Email and Touched: 07-03-2012

Given Oath Date at InfoPass Appt. and Touched: 08-28-2012

Rec'd Oath Date Letter in Mail: 09-01-2012

Oath Date: 09-27-2012

It would be very difficult to match me with my VJ account, although I have thought about deleting my VJ account.

In 5 minutes, aggregating the information from some of your previous posts:

You filed for IR1/CR1 with NOA1 on June 2nd

Your wife is from the Ukraine and named Irina

Your congressman has recently checked on your petition

You have a pilot's license

You have 2 former 129F petitions, one in 1997 and another in 2001

You were married last April

I think with that information and government access they could probably track you down quite easily.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

At his interview, the CO presented my then fiance with a 3 year old photo of himself that had been posted on and old blog and asked him why his picture was all over the internet. Incidentally, said blog was entirely in French. My husband is a musician and had used to photo for promotional purposes.. So yeah, they do their homework..

Edited by squeaky580

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The officers at the Consulate in Montreal not only read VJ, but they have also matched member names to visa applications. There are a number of Canadians who have had this confirmed at their interviews. I can find you the link if you're interested.

truth ...almost everyone who has had their interview this time last year ( especially for K1's ) at montreal the CO made some kind of reference to their VJ username.

also, the deputy director of the consulate who interviewed myself and a few others told us he was excited to meet a certain few VJ members in person

..The time line ..

04/04/2007 met in person

22/10 2008 engaged

29/03/2009 I-129F Sent

06/04/2009 money order cashed

13/04/2009 I-129F NOA1

20/07/2009 NOA2 petition approved

08/12/2009 Packet 3 Received

08/13/2009 Packet 3 Sent

09/14/2009 Medical Toronto

06/11/2009 interview PASSED!

15/11/2009 Visa Rcvd

14/02/2010 POE Sault Ste Marie ON

26/03/2010 Married

AOS

05/10/2010 mailed

05/17/2010 check cashed

05/21/2010 NOA1 rcvd

06/15/2010 Biometrics(Grand Rapids MI)

08/20/2010 interview (approved)

ROC

08/21/2012

10/13/2012 biometric

waiting

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Excited to meet VJ members? If they're that excited to meet us, give VJ members expedited processing then...we'll get to see them sooner. It is not hard to find me..voulez vous my fricken GreenCard already? please? lol

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.