T & N

Can my wife visit me?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Macedonia
Timeline

Hello everyone

I have a question: After we start the K1 process, will my fiancée be able to come and visit me in the US on her tourist visa or she may have problems on the entry? And when she does, what is she supposed to tell the homeland security, because we all know that they can be hard to pass by. After we start the K1, do we get into the system and when she enters the US, homeland security will know her status??

How does all this go? She does not want to lie or anything but i really dont want to stress her at the entry.

Thank you

We keep our dreams high, and we keep our hope higher !!!

event.png

Timeline

Hello everyone,

I want to ask if anyone knows how this process goes? We are still not married but we want to and recently we found out that maybe this visa is our best option?! We are wondering between k1 or spousal visa, we dont want to be separated for too long so we are looking into the quickest way. But there is a catch ... can my fiancée or wife visit me during this process?

I appreciate any advice you may have for me,

thank you

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi Mirko,

I already opened a forum to share that I will fly over to visit my husband (he is US citizen and I am German)Check the early forums, there are some people who got the stamp at POE and visited their husbands/wifes and some unfortunatelly denied. I am in VW programm and I will give a try. Wish you a luck with your decision. Hope you won't wait long :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Admittance is not a guarentee (as I was denied entry twice) but as long as you bring ties to the home country (lease, mortgage, utility bills, job etc) and always tell the truth, you should be fine. No law saying you cannot visit but also no law saying you'll be granted entrance

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

The USC fiance(e) can visit you in your home country any time (am assuming US Citizens don't need a visa to go to Macedonia). If the non-USC fiance(e) wants to visit the US, then you defer to the suggestions provided by canadian_wife.

Edited by marriedtomrg

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello everyone

I have a question: After we start the K1 process, will my fiancée be able to come and visit me in the US on her tourist visa or she may have problems on the entry? And when she does, what is she supposed to tell the homeland security, because we all know that they can be hard to pass by. After we start the K1, do we get into the system and when she enters the US, homeland security will know her status??

How does all this go? She does not want to lie or anything but i really dont want to stress her at the entry.

Thank you

Yes they will know and if she has good ties/evidence that she will return when she is supposed to, then all may be OK. Or, they will turn her away because with the K-1 she has stated that she intends, eventually, to immigrate to the US. They don't want her to do that any earlier than the K-1 process allows. Understand?

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

The USC fiance(e) can visit you in your home country any time (am assuming US Citizens don't need a visa to go to Macedonia). If the non-USC fiance(e) wants to visit the US, then you defer to the suggestions provided by canadian_wife.

As a US citizen i dont need visa for Macedonia, but my fiancee has a tourist visa, the only thing that really scared us was if she would be able to visit me after we start the K1 process. Some people say that the K1 is much faster and the spouse process is more complicated. I plan to go there in December (second time),and i am thinking of getting married there. We dont know which option is better for us so we are little bit lost there. We dont want to spend too much time apart :( I am open for any suggestions you may have.

Thank you very much for the understanding and helping me out

event.png

Filed: Timeline

The Guides should help you out with some of the decision-making process. While a K-1 visa is generally quicker, in the long run it is not the best visa. If I had to do it all over again I would have gone for the spousal visa. You have to weigh the pros and cons of each one.

Like the others said, visiting is a hit or miss type thing. You'll want to check the following link. While it specifies K-1 applicants it certainly applies to everyone visiting the US.

Visitation FAQ's

Moving your thread from the IR-1/CR-1 Process forum to General Immigration Discussion.

Welcome to VJ. :)

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I visited when my K1 was under way. Many do.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello!! My fiance (US Citizen) and we also have K1 pending petition (NOA1 7/12/2010 and case was touched 10/3/2010). We decided to apply for temporary visa which is the B1/B2 (tourist visa) to spend the holiday together. I got approved in the interview for B1/B2(Oct. 4 2010, valid until next year) and planning to fly to D.C next month for the thanksgiving until X-mas and New year.

We are wondering and worried if they will give me a hard time on the POE once they see we have a pending K1. I feel that our case is closer for the approval and debating whether i should go for tourist first or just wait for the Fiance visa.

We desperately need an advice and guidance on making the right decision...Please help us..

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello!! My fiance (US Citizen) and we also have K1 pending petition (NOA1 7/12/2010 and case was touched 10/3/2010). We decided to apply for temporary visa which is the B1/B2 (tourist visa) to spend the holiday together. I got approved in the interview for B1/B2(Oct. 4 2010, valid until next year) and planning to fly to D.C next month for the thanksgiving until X-mas and New year.

We are wondering and worried if they will give me a hard time on the POE once they see we have a pending K1. I feel that our case is closer for the approval and debating whether i should go for tourist first or just wait for the Fiance visa.

We desperately need an advice and guidance on making the right decision...Please help us..

Thank you.

July 6, 2010 - I-129F was filed

July 12, 2010 - NOA1 Hard copy received

July 16, 2010 - Case was touched

Oct. 3, 2010 - Touched again

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Thank you.

July 6, 2010 - I-129F was filed

July 12, 2010 - NOA1 Hard copy received

July 16, 2010 - Case was touched

Oct. 3, 2010 - Touched again

The advice given to the OP applies to you as well. It applies to anyone who has a fiancee or spousal visa petition or visa application in process.

Nobody can say for sure whether you'll be admitted or denied entry. It's entirely up to the discretion of the CBP officer who screens you. If they're convinced you'll follow the visa process through to the end, and not attempt to skip to the front of the line and apply for a green card while you're in the US, then they'll admit you. This is why you bring proof that you intend to return to your home country before your authorized stay expires. Like the others said, proof you have a job, home, and obligations to return to. Of course, a round trip ticket is essential. :blush:

All you can do is try. If you're denied entry for "lack of ties to your home country" then it won't have any negative effect on your K1 visa application.

Above all else, DO NOT LIE TO THE CBP OFFICER! You may be able to get past the screening, and get admitted to the US by lying to the CBP officer about your intentions, but when the lie is discovered it will be the kiss of death. The resulting material misrepresentation will stop any immigration process you current have going. At a minimum, you'd need a waiver to get into the US. At worst, you could be banned for life with no hope for a waiver.

There is another VJ member who is facing this now. They received a K1, and are applying for a green card after having married. USCIS is threatening to not only deny the green card, but revoke the approval of the original K1 petition because they think the alien spouse lied to an immigration officer.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Timeline

I have the round trip ticket and will bring the . It's been very lonely for us which is why i decided to visit him and spend the holidays for 4weeks and fly back to Bahrain.

My fiancee is a student on the MBA in her home country so can that be considered as an evidence? When she came here this summer she planned to stay in for a month, but since we got involved and i wanted her to stay more, i convinced her to stay one month longer. When she was entering the US she said she plans to stay a month or so and that she was visiting friends (which was true at that point), and they let her admittance till january. Can this affect our K1 in any way??? I am scared i may have messed things up by convincing her to stay longer than what she said at the entry :((

She didnt want us to get married here and then apply for AOS because she wants everything right. So i let her go back :(

please someone tell me i didnt cause damage to our future

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.