Aquarelka

Tourist visa rejection

26 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

My husband is USC (H1>GC>USC during 10 years), I am a LPR (J1>F1>GC during 5 years), we have a 8 weeks old baby.

My mom applied for B1 visa in Moscow and was rejected last week. We all are frustrated by that. We do not know why it happened. My mom is widowed, she owns 2 apartments in Russia, has a job, has another child and grandchild in Russia. She brought all these evidences to her interview, but was not asked any at all. She was only asked how her daughter got to the USA, and if she has another child in Russia. And got rejected.

Yes, my mom has never been abroad.

The officer did not ask her about any evidences she had with her.

She is eager to apply again next week, she wants to come here to see her son-in-law whom she has never seen. And her grandchild.

I know getting a visa is like a lottery. But what are her chances if she applies again immediately? It does not say there is a waiting period, it says she can apply as many times as she wants. But of course it is costly and if she has no chances we will wait.

Any thoughts on the topic are welcome. Thank you!

Filed: Other Timeline

Think.

What are the Immigration people afraid of? That somebody from Russia would stay in the US, correct? In fact, those folks are trained to assume that anybody who wants to travel to the US is not ever going to come back to the bad, cold, and communist Mother Russia, even if that's completely nonsense.

Hence, they want to see overwhelming ties to Russia, and zero ties to the US.

As you stated, the I.O. didn't even touch the ties-to-Russia part, as your mom probably told them that she has a daughter and a grandchild in the US. Thus, she basically has a wonderful support system in the country where she should have no ties to. Do you understand that kind of reasoning? If you do, you'll understand why she won't get a visa, now that they know and it's all in her file.

By the way, the B1 is a business visa.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My step-daughter was denied a visa so I e-mailed the embassy and explained the situation and asked them about it. Had to ask them twice, but I finally got a decent response and they told me what she needed to do at the interview. Second time was no problem and she was given a 2 year B-2 visa.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

If you suck at playing the trumpet, that may be why.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Think.

What are the Immigration people afraid of? That somebody from Russia would stay in the US, correct? In fact, those folks are trained to assume that anybody who wants to travel to the US is not ever going to come back to the bad, cold, and communist Mother Russia, even if that's completely nonsense.

Not only trained to assume that nobody wants to leave the US and go back home, but by law they are required to have this presupposition no matter what citizenship the visa applicant holds. I assume it is because once someone is here and wants to stay it's too late for CIS to do anything about it.

Timeline

Yes, I know that they consider every person a potential immigrant. And I understand that my mom got lost at the interview, everything was so fast and so new for her. She even did not realize when it was over.

Is there any point in applying for it second time in a couple weeks?

Is it a good idea for her to show "ties" to Russia when not asked about it?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I doubt that there would be a change in the response to an immediate re-application.

But no downside.

Failing that organise a trip to see her.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I had this happen in Kiev with my mother-in-law I will tell you that you will have a different officer on the next interview apparently the same officer cannot interview you twice so maybe that will help. I had my US Senator send an email to them embassy before the interview. I was told that he had no influence but 15 minutes after they approved her visa the embassy emailed my Senator telling him that they had approved the visa. So somebody was watching.

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

My mom just got denied too. Frustrating. Somehow I wanted to give it another try and contact my senator. But somehow too, I may just go to IR-5 petition route, longer and more expensive, but has little risk.

IR-5 Petition for Mother:

12-31-10 - Sent Form I-130

01-04-11 - NOA 1

01-10-11 - Check cashed

05-09-11 - NOA 2

----------

05-18-11 - Case Number, IIN, E-mailed DS-3032

05-19-11 - Paid AOS Fee $88.00

05-23-11 - AOS shows "PAID"

05-24-11 - Paid IV Fee $404.00

05-26-11 - IV Fee shows "PAID"

05-28-11 - Mailed I-864

06-13-11 - I-864 accepted

06-20-11 - Mailed DS-230

07-07-11 - SIF and Case Complete

07-19-11 - Passed the two-day medical

09-06-11 - Visa Approved

09-08-11 - Visa On-Hand

Timeline

My mother in law got denied a B2 in Kiev the first time she applied, about 9 years ago. It was kind of similar in that our daughter was just born, and my MIL was denied without them looking at any evidence. She managed to talk to a supervisor a couple of days later and he told her she was denied because she made the statement that she wanted to visit AND help us take care for her grandaughter for 3 months. According to the supervisor, this was sufficient reason to deny the visa and probably why they did not need to look at any further evidence.

She applied again 1 month later and said that she wanted to visit us for 3 months and they looked at the evidence and B2 was approved without any problem. She has her apartment, husband and job in Sevastopol but no other children. We never really knew if it was luck, different interviewer, said the right words, or the evidence they didn't look at the first time. It did help a lot that she was able to find out the reason for the first denial.

Anyway I don't think it hurts to try a second time shortly after the first. Maybe a different interviewer will help. The cost and time is the only downside. It would get expensive after a while.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Update:

My mom applied second time 3 weeks later and had her interview 6 weeks later after the first interview. She had the same documents with her. They hardly asked any questions again and got her approved!!!!!!!!!!! YeaH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are really exciting to see her here for Christmas and New Year! Thanks everyone! This forum is priceless!

Filed: Timeline

I think JustBob pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. Her ties to the US are too strong, and once she's in, it will be hard to get her out if she doesn't want to leave. And she might just decide to live with her daughter in the US - this is a common case.

Filed: Other Country: Colombia
Timeline

Congratulations to Aquarelka, and hope you enjoy the time with her on christmas.

And don't bother on reading those negative comments from some immigrants that believe they know everything, At the end your outcome shows they were totally wrong. :angry:

Again Congratulations for your relative's visitor visa.

Filed: Timeline

Think.

Hence, they want to see overwhelming ties to Russia, and zero ties to the US.

As you stated, the I.O. didn't even touch the ties-to-Russia part, as your mom probably told them that she has a daughter and a grandchild in the US. Thus, she basically has a wonderful support system in the country where she should have no ties to. Do you understand that kind of reasoning? If you do, you'll understand why she won't get a visa, now that they know and it's all in her file.

By the way, the B1 is a business visa.

advice fail.

OP congrats!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.