jalie

Contacting a Congressman

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Anybody from Texas here?

Me and my fiancé is thinking of contacting his congressman with regards to our K-1 Visa problem. But he does not know how to do it, or which office to call or email. I know nothing how the congressman's office in Texas work or deal with its constituents. But I have read here that people with immigration problems are advised to contact their congressmen.

Anybody here who knows which office we should bark at? My fiancé resides in Dickinson area.

Thank you once again

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi, Take a look at the link: Representative. Regards, Irina.

as1cEZk002B0510MDA0NDZzfDAwMDEyNjdsfFNpbmNlIG91ciB3ZWRkaW5n.gif

08-04-06 Met online

12-06-07 Filed I-129F with VSC

01-29-09 Interview; Case returned back to USCIS for 'further review'

03-21-09 FOIA Request sent (got "we have no records on your case" in respond)

07-08-09 Civil marriage; 07-11-09 Church marriage

11-14-09 I-130 Sent to CSC

11-25-09 Check Cashed by USCIS!

11-28-09 NOA1 hard copy received by snail-mail (dated 11-23-09)

04-30-10 Phone request about case outside the normal processing time

05-05-10 Hard copy letter from VSC about closure the previous petition (dated 04-05-10)

05-18-10 NOA2 hard copy received (by snail-mail)!

06-01-10 NVC case accepted

06-07-10 I-864 bill paid

06-14-10 IV bill paid

07-12-10 I-864 & DS-230 sent to NVC

07-21-10 I-864 & DS-230 received according to AVR

07-23-10 Medical (completed)

08-18-10 SIF, CC @ NVC - Thank You, LORD!

10-14-10 Planned Interview date

10-12-10 Interview cancelled

10-15-10 MRI; Brain tumour

10-19-10 Surgery. Alive

Thank You, LORD!

Love is patient...

united-states-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gifukraine-flag-waving-emoticon-animated.gif

What happened after the second Embassy interview on September 22?

Anybody from Texas here?

Me and my fiancé is thinking of contacting his congressman with regards to our K-1 Visa problem. But he does not know how to do it, or which office to call or email. I know nothing how the congressman's office in Texas work or deal with its constituents. But I have read here that people with immigration problems are advised to contact their congressmen.

Anybody here who knows which office we should bark at? My fiancé resides in Dickinson area.

Thank you once again

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

A couple of weeks for what? For a decision?

I-129F Petition Mailed: 26 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA1: 27 Oct 2009 ♥ NOA2: 15 Jan 2010

K-1 VisaNVC: 22-27 Jan 2010 ♥ RdJ receipt: 1 Feb 2010 ♥ Packet 3/4: 12 Feb 2010 ♥ Interview: 4 May 2010

»-(¯`·.·´¯)-> Married (17 Aug 2010) <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«

AOS (I-485)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ To CSC: 20 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ RFE: 10 -16 Nov 2010 ♥ Approved: 18 Nov 2010

AP (I-131)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

EAD (I-765)Mailed: 21 Aug 2010 ♥ NOA: 2 Sept 2010 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Oct 2010 ♥ Approved: 20 Oct 2010

ROC (I-751)Mailed: 6 Nov 2012 ♥ NOA: 7 Nov 2012 ♥ Biometrics: 5 Dec 2012 ♥ Approved: 15 May 2013

Naturalization (N-400)Mailed: 03 August 2015 ♥ NOA: 07 August 2015 ♥ Biometrics: 3 Sept 2015 ♥ Interview: 13 Nov 2015 ♥ Oath: 8 Dec '15

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I've moved this thread from the AOS Progress Reports Forum to the K-1 forum as the poster is pursuing K-1, not AOS.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

A couple of weeks for what? For a decision?

... for a formal denial? or to give me the reasons for the denial?... perhaps!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Sounds like you are possibly in AP status if you had a second interview. We went that route and I stopped at my Congressman's office across the street from my work. They have their own special contacts that can update them

somewhat on what is happening with your case. They also sent more info via email to the embassy in Thailand and we got our visa shortly after that. They are required to answer them within 14 days but they just gave us the visa

and never gave a formal answer. Depending on what you perceive is the problem, they may be able to help. You should have an idea of what the holdup is by the questions asked during the second interview. Usually a second interview is done by the fraud unit because they are trying to clarify something. So try to figure out what it is and have an explanation that you can have the Congressman's office send with their letter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I have some interaction with our states Senators. I can tell you the BEST way to get attention from his congressman (or Senator) is to go to their office. Their district office(s) will be listed at their website. If it is within a few hours drive I STRONGLY SUGGEST he go there. Just go there. Walk in and say he needs to speak with someone on an immigration issue. They will most likely see him and discuss the matter. The issue will be handled by a liason that represents the Congressman. This can have a lot of JUICE or none, depends on that congressman. I can tell you that when Senator Leahy's office calls, they pay attention. If that doesn't do the trick, then go to a Senator who usually has a lot more clout but in a state like Texas can be very difficult to contact. In Vermont it is easier to deal with one of our two Senators rather than our ONE congressman, besides the state is barely bigger than a west Texas county so it is never a long drive to the office and BOTH our Senators are wicked powerful in Washington.

Start with the congressman. Have COPIES of evrything with you and be prepared to critique your case. They do not want to be standing at the copy machine making copies of your emails or whatever. Have a file ready to hand to them. IF you want results. They are lawyers, they are not FREE secretaries to make your copies. (most liasons are attorneys)

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
go to a Senator who usually has a lot more clout but in a state like Texas can be very difficult to contact.
Good overall advice from Gary. The quote here is a chance for me to advise Texans to not bother trying to deal with Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison's office. After several attempts, I reached her chief assistant, who cut my explanation short and said, with perceptible snootiness, "The Senator has far more important things to do than to concern herself with a K-1 visa application." Edited by TBoneTX

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good overall advice from Gary. The quote here is a chance for me to advise Texans to not bother trying to deal with Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison's office. After several attempts, I reached her chief assistant, who cut my explanation short and said, with perceptible snootiness, "The Senator has far more important things to do than to concern herself with a K-1 visa application."

Well! As you know Tbone, I am a Texican myself and in my opinion Kay Bailey Hutchison hasn't done anything more important than an immigration case since she was elected. Could be just me. When I was living in Dallas I used to deliver my letters to Senator Phil Gramm by hand at his office in the same building where I worked. Hopefully this man's congress person will do better.

And I will say this, I disagree with Senator Leahy on almost everything politically...and I tell him so. But I will tell you that he is 100% for his constituents and has an excellent staff to deal with immigration issues and for that alone I will vote for the man.

The more direct you make the contact, the better the result will be, go to their office if possible.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I contacted both my congressman and senator. Congressman was worthless. Senator's staff was and is GREAT. I've used them 3 different times thruout the process. Just voted for him. :thumbs:

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

Sounds like you are possibly in AP status if you had a second interview. We went that route and I stopped at my Congressman's office across the street from my work. They have their own special contacts that can update them

somewhat on what is happening with your case. They also sent more info via email to the embassy in Thailand and we got our visa shortly after that. They are required to answer them within 14 days but they just gave us the visa

and never gave a formal answer. Depending on what you perceive is the problem, they may be able to help. You should have an idea of what the holdup is by the questions asked during the second interview. Usually a second interview is done by the fraud unit because they are trying to clarify something. So try to figure out what it is and have an explanation that you can have the Congressman's office send with their letter.

Thanks Tom, your story of course gives me some hope. I was not given any blue slip or was not informed what was wrong after the second interview so I have not a minimum idea what the problem is. I was only told that he will contact me in two weeks.

I am only guessing that it is about name discrepancies as the consul asked me to send him my previous passports. And when he received those he asked me to go for a second interview "to clarify certain discrepancies that have arisen". My fiancé asked if there are documents that I should bring but he said no.

Anyway we already sent documents (affidavit and consular cert.)this morning to clarify those discrepancies.

Again,thanks, I'll give updates if something positive/negative will happen.

Timeline

I have some interaction with our states Senators. I can tell you the BEST way to get attention from his congressman (or Senator) is to go to their office. Their district office(s) will be listed at their website. If it is within a few hours drive I STRONGLY SUGGEST he go there. Just go there. Walk in and say he needs to speak with someone on an immigration issue. They will most likely see him and discuss the matter. The issue will be handled by a liason that represents the Congressman. This can have a lot of JUICE or none, depends on that congressman. I can tell you that when Senator Leahy's office calls, they pay attention. If that doesn't do the trick, then go to a Senator who usually has a lot more clout but in a state like Texas can be very difficult to contact. In Vermont it is easier to deal with one of our two Senators rather than our ONE congressman, besides the state is barely bigger than a west Texas county so it is never a long drive to the office and BOTH our Senators are wicked powerful in Washington.

Start with the congressman. Have COPIES of evrything with you and be prepared to critique your case. They do not want to be standing at the copy machine making copies of your emails or whatever. Have a file ready to hand to them. IF you want results. They are lawyers, they are not FREE secretaries to make your copies. (most liasons are attorneys)

Thank you Gary. Yes, Carlo has managed to contact the staff of Ron Paul. They were sweet humans and have already adviced us what steps we should take. I will post more when I will know more. As of now there is nothing to do than wait.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.