sorchaine

Will this be a problem?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Not sure if this is the right place, but my fiancé entered the US yesterday on his K-1 in Chicago. The cbp agent he was dealing with was very rude to him making him feel embarrassed. The officer opened up the brown package and started to read everything inside. He told my fiancé that since I am still a student he should not be allowed to enter the US until I had graduated and was working. Said my co-sponser made ###### money. Read our emails to himself and then proceeded to take them around and rea them to other officers. Asked my fiancé how much my family was being paid to marry him, all sorts of rude and insulting questions. He even went to other officers trying to get my fiancé denied entry into the US. Luckily another officer told this rude one that the USCIS decides who can enter on the visa and if they issued it then he can't be denied at the POE. The officer finally filled out his I-94 reluctantly. On the back though under Record of Changes he wrote "admitted solely to marry". After filling out the date (90th day) he told my fiancé, "see this date? Not married by then we'll send you back to your country." Then laughed as he handed the passport back to him.

Will what he wrote on the I-94 be a problem? Not sure if it's a normal thing. Also will the officer be a problem come time for AOS? Is it possible that he could have written something in my fiancés file that will hurt us when we go to change his status? I told my parents about what happened and my mother was so upset that she left work early yesterday and has been working on a letter to send to our congressman about the whole incident. Not sure if it'll do any good or not, but it's really the only thing we can do at this point. And at least if we report the awful harrassment we can feel that we tried to do something I stead of just letting it go.

Ant opinions or suggestions on what we can do will so will be much appreciated. I'm just so glad to have my fiancé here with me and so ashamed of being a US citizen for the way he was treated. Having to deal with a CBP officer trying to deny a K-1 entry based on his personal opinion. I don't wish this situation on anyone and I can honestly say that this will be most definitely the last time I ever step foot anywhere near Chicago again.

Sorry if there are mispelled words and such. Writing this on my cell phone as we are still traveling.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Not sure if this is the right place, but my fiancé entered the US yesterday on his K-1 in Chicago. The cbp agent he was dealing with was very rude to him making him feel embarrassed. The officer opened up the brown package and started to read everything inside. He told my fiancé that since I am still a student he should not be allowed to enter the US until I had graduated and was working. Said my co-sponser made ###### money. Read our emails to himself and then proceeded to take them around and rea them to other officers. Asked my fiancé how much my family was being paid to marry him, all sorts of rude and insulting questions. He even went to other officers trying to get my fiancé denied entry into the US. Luckily another officer told this rude one that the USCIS decides who can enter on the visa and if they issued it then he can't be denied at the POE. The officer finally filled out his I-94 reluctantly. On the back though under Record of Changes he wrote "admitted solely to marry". After filling out the date (90th day) he told my fiancé, "see this date? Not married by then we'll send you back to your country." Then laughed as he handed the passport back to him.

Will what he wrote on the I-94 be a problem? Not sure if it's a normal thing. Also will the officer be a problem come time for AOS? Is it possible that he could have written something in my fiancés file that will hurt us when we go to change his status? I told my parents about what happened and my mother was so upset that she left work early yesterday and has been working on a letter to send to our congressman about the whole incident. Not sure if it'll do any good or not, but it's really the only thing we can do at this point. And at least if we report the awful harrassment we can feel that we tried to do something I stead of just letting it go.

Ant opinions or suggestions on what we can do will so will be much appreciated. I'm just so glad to have my fiancé here with me and so ashamed of being a US citizen for the way he was treated. Having to deal with a CBP officer trying to deny a K-1 entry based on his personal opinion. I don't wish this situation on anyone and I can honestly say that this will be most definitely the last time I ever step foot anywhere near Chicago again.

Sorry if there are mispelled words and such. Writing this on my cell phone as we are still traveling.

Wow, what a lovely welcome to the US. I'm sorry your fiance was treated so badly. I doubt that what he wrote on the I-94 will be a problem. USCIS knows the rules, even if the CBP agent doesn't.

Any chance your fiance got the guy's name? I'd be burning to get disciplinary action for such an a-hole.

I'm the USC petitioner.

Timeline:

10/06/2005 Met in Ireland while I was on a study abroad

03/15/2010 K-1 NOA1

05/27/2010 K-1 NOA2

09/10/2010 K-1 Interview

09/22/2010 POE

10/01/2010 Wedding

10/27/2010 AOS/EAD/AP NOA1s

12/22/2010 EAD/AP Approved

04/05/2011 AOS Approved - no interview

04/09/2011 Green Card received

01/24/2013 ROC NOA1

06/28/2013 ROC Approved - no interview

07/05/2013 10-year Green Card received

08/19/2014 N-400 NOA

12/06/2014 N-400 Interview

01/09/2014 Naturalization ceremony

My husband is now a US Citizen! Our journey is over!

20r8m4.png

WdKPm5.png

8PEOm5.png

Timeline

Wow, what a lovely welcome to the US. I'm sorry your fiance was treated so badly. I doubt that what he wrote on the I-94 will be a problem. USCIS knows the rules, even if the CBP agent doesn't.

Any chance your fiance got the guy's name? I'd be burning to get disciplinary action for such an a-hole.

Yes, my fiancé got the officers name and also remembers what station the guy was at. He wasn't taken into any special room just did everything right at the little station.

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Wow the guy is probably trying to get a post in the Lagos consulate. :whistle: Yeah they shouldn't be so nasty at the POE but that level is common at some consulates. These guys are on an ago trip of humongous proportions and if they don't like you for whatever reason they treat you like their personal chew toy.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline

The CBP has complete authority of whom in admitted t the US, in spite of having a visa. If he had some informnation on why your fiance was not in compliance with the terms of the visa, he has complete authority to deny entrance and revoke the visa on the spot. For instance, if your fiance showed up wearing a wedding ring, he would have been sent back on the spot. If the yhe data base that they use showed some conviction for a crime that the Consulate was unaware, he woulde have been sent back.

The only thing that was not appropriate was his behavior. There is no reason to treat anyone in that manner. The should be professional and respectful.

What he wrote will have no bearing, as that is the purpose of a K-1 visa.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If he can I would say go back to that airport and lodge a complaint about the treatment there! specially since he has the name the booth etc when it happened. When your doing the AOS I would include a letter stating what happend at the poe what poe the guys name etc on the letter as well. Also with the explination as to what the guy wrote on the I-94.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Sorry your man had such a rough entry. :wow: Fortunately, that obstacle is behind you know. The way I sees it, you have two choices.

1. File a complaint, you got the agents number on all accounts :bonk:

2. Leave it be and laugh about it at your reception and subsequent anniversaries :dancing:

Personally I like option #2, the less I have to deal with Uncle Sam the better.

Enjoy your life together, Parabens! :yes:

(07-11-2010) Engaged!

(08-09-2010) Sent I-129F Package

(08-13-2010) NOA1

(01-14-2011) NOA2 (email & text)

(03-22-2011) Interview: APPROVED!

(04-01-2011) Recieved K1 Visa 1 week late :(

(04-04-2011) POE Atlanta

(04-11-2011) Marriage License

event.png

(04-23-2011) WEDDING

(5-19-2011) Sent I-485

(5-22-2011) Delivered to Chicago Lockbox and Signed by D Colona

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This border monster is behind you now. He won't have anything to do with the future of your immigration.

While it is true he can deny entry, he can't do that without foundation. Sounds like he was harassing for sport, and reporting him is a good thing to do in terms of helping others who may face him in the future. Unless there are reports of his bad behavior there is nothing to stop him from terrorizing everyone he comes into contact with.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I don't think what he wrote indicates anything bad... he is a spiteful sad man though.

I'm just glad he was allowed in and nothing too bad happened, I wouldn't file a complaint or anything even though I'd certainly love to do it, but I wouldn't want more "tasks" to do, I'm sure you got lots to do regarding getting married, applying for a SS#, and filing for AOS and so on.

Look past it and be glad you're finally together.

Have a lovely life together and show him how nice a lot of Americans can be!

K1 Timeline
03/08/10 - I-129F packet sent to VSC
07/07/10 - Interview Date - APPROVED!
10/28/10 - POE @ Chicago
11/21/10 - Marriage

AOS, AP, EAD.
01/18/11 - AOS, AP, EAD packet sent
03/07/2011 - Biometrics appointment
03/29/2011 - AOS, AP and EAD approved (After 2.5 months)
04/04/2011 - Green card in hand[/size]

ROC
02/12/2013 - ROC packet sent
02/21/2013 - NOA1 Received
03/09/2013 - Biometrics appointment
06/19/2013 - ROC APPROVED!

N-400 Naturalization

06/20/2014 - N-400 Packet sent

07/15/2014 - Check Cashedarrow-10x10.png

08/04/2014 - Biometrics

02/19/2015 - Interview

03/26/2015 - Oath Ceremony
event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would file a complaint with his superior and copy it to your Congressman/Senator, asking him/her to follow up on it as well. (Make sure the fact that it is copied to your elected represented is noted at the bottom of the letter to the Border Services) I would actually request an apology from the border guard or at the very least the border services for the way your fiance was treated by this individual.

While the border guard has the right to protect the borders from illegal immigration and perceived threats to American security, your fiance presented neither of those circumstances. His treatment of your fiance - and of you - was rude and inexcusable. He had no right to read aloud your personal emails contained in your USCIS package to everyone within hearing distance. He had no right to tell your fiance that you should not be allowed to marry him because you are a student. He had no right to ridicule you or your fiance. He does not make the laws - he enforces them. What he was doing was not enforcing the law but trying to take the law into his own hands when there was no justification to do so. His behaviour was abusive. The other border authorities obviously told him so. He needs to be told so from his superiors as well. If he has suspicions then he needs to act on them. If he has prejudices and gets high on bullying then he needs to be told he is out of line by those who are in the position to do so. Your fiance did not deserve to be treated with such a lack of respect or integrity.

No, the notation on his I-94 or passport will not cause him any problems since it basically stated he entered to get married - which is true. The guard was trying to play the bully once again but he really had nothing to stand on so tried the intimidation factor. Since you are already planning to be married, his notation actually makes him look rather silly.

Good luck to you.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Yes, my fiancé got the officers name and also remembers what station the guy was at. He wasn't taken into any special room just did everything right at the little station.

[/qu

Was he of middle Eastern decent? I had a Poe officer in Chicago treat me like garbage and I'm an American Citizen! I will have my fiancée fly to Minneapolis instead of Chicago when she comes here. Sorry for his bad experience.

The Buddha said "The more loving the more suffering"

By birth is not one an outcast,

By birth is not one a noble,but

By action is one an outcast,

By action is one a noble.

Buddha.

Sorry to hear about that. It is almost difficult to believe how absurd the attitude was. I am just happy your fiance didn't freak out, it seems that's what the officer wanted to happen, to have an excuse to do something bad to him without having a reason to.

It is scary enough to move to another country, and then something like that happens. I hope he can heal good after it, take him to many places to meet the friendly side of things. I know it is a bother, but if you can, please do something about that officer, a complaint like many here are suggesting. There are enough people wanting a job that could very well do better then this monster.

I came to US twice, both on Dallas. People were friendly enough there, at the K-1 POE even more then when I came just as tourist. So if anyone is sorting options, I recommend there (Dallas-Fort Worth airport).

5oMDm5.png

For the detailed timeline, please click "Timeline" under my avatar and check the "comments".

ROC Journey:-

05.12.2012 -- Mailed I-751 packet

05.21.2012 -- Check Cashed

05.15.2012 -- NOA1

05.30.2012 -- Biometric notice issued

06.06.2012 -- Biometrics Date (walk-in). Was scheduled for 06/14

xx.xx.2012 -- Card Production Ordered.

xx.xx.2012 -- 10 Year Green Card Received

Timeline

I agree with Kathryn on this subject. Letting it go is just saying the officer is ok for doing that, and allowing him to keep repeating his abusive behavior to others coming in through Chicago. Even if he had suspicions of visa fraud he still should have treated your fiancé with respect. I imagine others going past him on a tourist visa and being treated that way would be scared to file a complaint, as there's this general feeling of "US immigration is tough" (although I've heard worse for London's POE and I was treated very well there).

I've been scrutinized in Miami coming on a tourist visa once, but they were respectful and just doing their job and it didn't bother me in the least, all other times (and since becoming a PR) I'm always treated well or if most, indifferently.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Wow the guy is probably trying to get a post in the Lagos consulate. :whistle: Yeah they shouldn't be so nasty at the POE but that level is common at some consulates. These guys are on an ago trip of humongous proportions and if they don't like you for whatever reason they treat you like their personal chew toy.
I've seen his clones also at more than one Canada-side PFI.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Passenger Service Managers are the primary point of contact to address concerns or comments about the inspections process of international travelers.

For O'Hare you could contact: Patrick Salgado (773) 894-2900 Ext. 2872

And there's--

Field Operations Office Information

Location Address :

610 S. Canal Street, Room 900

Chicago , IL 60607

Mailing Address : Same As Above

General Phone : (312) 983-9100

General Fax : (312) 886-4921

Operational Hours : 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM ( Central )

Weekdays (Monday-Friday

Field Operations Offices serve as the spokes of a wheel for CBP Headquarters to distribute key policies and procedures to field staff. Field Operations Offices provide guidance to their regional ports and ensure the dissemination and implementation of core CBP guidelines. These offices also provide for mission support functions within their regions; such as, resource management, equal employment opportunity, labor, employee relations, and other human resources management functions.

I would write a letter over just talking to somebody on the phone. You might call the O-Hare number and ask for a name/adress where you could lodge a written complaint. And the Field Operations Office could give you the name of the head of that office so you could address it to him/her and mail another complaint there.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.