Sofiyya

What do you believe about Muslims and Islam?

228 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

I read some really interesting opinions about Muslims and Islam on this board, and I'm wondering where people get their information from. I'm not interested in arguing, and I even understand the confusion some must feel. It's the authoritative delivery that makes me genuinely interested in what the popular resources are. I won't be offended by what you have to say, just say it. Good or bad impressions, I'm wondering where it comes from.

I'll also be happy to answer any questions about Islam, if anyone has any for me. Hate site links are against the TOS, so PM them to me. Please don't be shy. I expect this to be constructive, but I'm an optimist :lol:

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I've met and worked with what I would call moderate Muslims. They were from places like Turkey, Pakistan, India etc.

The impression I received is similar to how I view my own religion Christianity...that the majority of Muslims in the world appear to be caught in the Dogma of strict scriptural interpretation of the past and that this "majority" is well "off the path" of the Quran's original teachings.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I think Islam is a very interesting religion, culturally speaking. Sadly all is linked to extremists, and their twisted version of Islam. The religion itself professes what any other religion does, the enlightenment of mankind through faith and the simple precepts of harmony with yourself and with others. Islam is so hardcore on its values that failure to observe them has severe consequences as far as I've read or learned.

The only gripe I have with it is the non equal treatment of women, but it's part of what I mean by hardcore...

A 3 year-4 month-1week journey ends on 09/20/2013, and a new one begins!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

You ask: "What do you believe about Muslims?"

I think you are asking in the wrong place.....If some are to offer an honest thought..... it would be a violation of the TOS.

type2homophobia_zpsf8eddc83.jpg

"Those people who will not be governed by God

will be ruled by tyrants."

William Penn

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

to be perfectly honest, i get a lot of what i know from you, sofiyya. :lol: also from the internet in general. from my husband, and friends as well.

my MIL talked to me for almost an hour the other day about islam. too bad i don't speak arabic.

Edited by Jenn!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My cousin Sarah converted to Islam when she married a man who is Muslim (from Turkey). She doesn't wear a headscarf, but she is observant and she and her husband (and her two boys) all seem to be very what I would call normal Americans. Some of the people in my family were pretty freaked out when she announced she was marrying someone who was Muslim, but everyone calmed down when they met him and saw how much he loved Sarah, and how his religion wasn't the only thing about him. He's a great husband and father, and Sarah's father is really proud to have him as a son-in-law. They've been together 10 years and I've been really happy to see how my family has welcomed him in and realized that Sarah can be Muslim and still be herself. :)

"It doesn't matter who you love, or how you love, but that you love"

~Robert Browning~

event.png

My blog, where I ramble on occasionally:

Melissa's Meanderings

I have a very good friend that is Muslim. She is by no means a strict follower. I find it interesting in an educational sort of way when she describes her religion. When she talks about Islam I can see the love she has for it and also no hatred for other religions.

April 24, 2010: Married in Butuan City
May 23, 2010: Submitted I-130
May 28, 2010: NOA-1 Received
October 19, 2010: NOA-2 Received
October 26, 2010: Case Number Assigned
October 28, 2010: IIN Received
November 3, 2010: AOS paid
November 5, 2010: AOS status "PAID". Sent AOS packet
November 6, 2010: DS-3032 email received. Emailed DS-3032
November 8, 2010: IV paid, DS-3032 accepted
November 10, 2010: IV status "PAID". Sent IV packet
November 15, 2010: IV received at NVC
November 22, 2010: False Checklist for missing DS-230
November 29, 2010: AOS + IV entered into system
December 4, 2010: SIF, Case Completed
December 6, 2010: Interview Scheduled
December 27-28, 2010: Passed Physical
January 6, 2011: Interview @ 0830 Approved
January 14, 2011: Visa received
January 31, 2011: CFO seminar completed
February 11, 2011: POE- LAX

Removal of Conditions
January 8, 2013: Mailed I-751
January 10,2013: NOA1
February 6, 2013: Biometrics Appoint.

June 4, 2013: Received I-797 NOA removal of conditions

Timeline

You ask: "What do you believe about Muslims?"

I think you are asking in the wrong place.....If some are to offer an honest thought..... it would be a violation of the TOS.

I'm asking for opinions and the sources of those opinions. How you offer them would have more to do with whether they are in violation of the TOS, than what they are. I do need to add that if your opinions are so hostile and negative to be in violation of the TOS, maybe they are far more extreme than the reality of what 1.4 billion of your neighbors on earth are about.

Timeline

to be perfectly honest, i get a lot of what i know from you, sofiyya. :lol: also from the internet in general. from my husband, and friends as well.

my MIL talked to me for almost an hour the other day about islam. too bad i don't speak arabic.

That's too funny, Jenn :lol: You know that I can be critical of Muslims as well as protective of the faith. On the OT, I rarely get to be critical coz so many others do it overtime :P

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I believe it's just like every other religion on this planet, except for the prayer at certain times of the day depending on who you are.

It's no less tolerant of a religion than any other religion out there, except the laws in certain countries where Islam is prevalent, they somewhat support the religion, which is somewhat dangerous to outsiders. This isn't the case in all nations which embrace Islam however.

I believe that there are plenty of extremists of Islam, just like there are every other religion out there. I believe some people take the 'extremes' a bit too seriously in Islam though, more than other religions do at this time.

A great bumper sticker for 'modern times' is "Not all Muslims are Terrorists, but most Terrorists are Muslims." which fits pretty true for the majority of the acts of terrorism we've seen in the name of religion in the past 30-40 years... A real shame really that a small minority of a religious group get all of the attention, when most are good people.

and last but not least, like every other religion in the world, they all are strong in their actual 'faith' even though they may not follow it to a 'T.'

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

I'm not trying to threadjack here, I promise. If I am, will start a new topic or ask that it be moved.

I'm curious as to how "regular" Muslims (I don't know how else to put it) feel about those who go and commit terrorist acts in the name of same religion.

I hope that made sense, I really am interested.

I've asked the same of Christians in regards to people like Fred Phelps, so not picking on anyone specifically. Just curious.

24q38dy.jpg

I remember when I went to Egypt 13 years ago al-Gama'a al-Islamiyya had conducted a terrorist attack in the Valley of the Kings just prior to my arrival. Every single person I met on my trip - every single one - went out of their way to distance themselves from that group and their views and call them out as bad people.

90day.jpg

Timeline

Thanks to everyone who has participated. I do appreciate the stories and viewpoints that you took the time to share.

Thank you for your question, trillium13. My answer will be simplistic, but this is a complex subject.

I don't know all Muslims, of course, but the ones that I've met in my travels are like the families of 9/11; they traumatized and disgusted by it. What most people in the west don't realize is that Muslims are the principle target of terrorism, not non-Muslims. They are targets of convenience, and terrorism is a political weapon, not a religious one. If you are a Muslim who is knowledgeable about Islam, and sadly, most Muslims are not, then you are aware that Islam doesn't condone the killing of innocents.

There are also Muslims who believe terrorism is necessary for their immediate goals. These acts are primarily about power, and through the use of religion, groups desiring power can cover plenty of ground by claiming that God commands some act of obedience to accomplish a political goal. In tribal societies, in particular, individualism is discouraged because survival requires group cohesion. It becomes very difficult to act too far outside of the norm because it makes you dangerous to the ongoing dynamics of the group. So, leaders who wish to cull power tend to use religion as a weapon, and violence as a means to gain strength. Muslims from all over the world are from tribal societies that demand conformity. That's why terrorist philosophy can proliferate anywhere in those least prepared to resist.

I hope that made sense.

I'm not trying to threadjack here, I promise. If I am, will start a new topic or ask that it be moved.

I'm curious as to how "regular" Muslims (I don't know how else to put it) feel about those who go and commit terrorist acts in the name of same religion.

I hope that made sense, I really am interested.

I've asked the same of Christians in regards to people like Fred Phelps, so not picking on anyone specifically. Just curious.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If you are a Muslim who is knowledgeable about Islam, and sadly, most Muslims are not, then you are aware that Islam doesn't condone the killing of innocents.

That's not to say that most Muslims, who are not knowledgeable, condone the killing of innocents. I know you didn't mean that, but I'm sure there are those who will want to read it that way.

Timeline

That's not to say that most Muslims, who are not knowledgeable, condone the killing of innocents. I know you didn't mean that, but I'm sure there are those who will want to read it that way.

You're right. That sentence was badly worded. Outside of terrorist acts, random or mass killings are not common in Muslim societies.