9 posts in this topic

I am in St. Thomas U.S. V.I.,I came her on a K-1 visa we got married with in the 90 day time period,that was a year ago. My husband has been verbally abusing me and forcing himself on me sexually. He will not file for my green card and will not give me funds to call home or to by panties and other feminine needs. He says if I complain he will call the INS and have me deported. I want to go home but have no way to do that. I don't want to break the law, I have no money and less hope.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I really do not know what you should do regarding immigration laws, as far as this situation is concerned. All I can think of is, try and find a women's shelter that can get you away from him and safe for the time being.

I am hoping someone will come along and answer this with more helpful information for you.

Take care.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I really do not know what you should do regarding immigration laws, as far as this situation is concerned. All I can think of is, try and find a women's shelter that can get you away from him and safe for the time being.

I am hoping someone will come along and answer this with more helpful information for you.

Take care.

Good day!!..Sorry to hear about that..I do agree with Jay-KAy..try to find a women's shelter(you can ask your friends to do that for you so that he won't be able to know..)..I guess, the immigration have nothing against you..if he will report you to the immigration, then let it be..he is not fulfilling what he has said on his I-134 when he petitioned you...you have your right as well..after all, you told him that you want to go back to your country..try to find help...stay safe and keep praying!!...

* K1 Journey

2009-12-09 -met online

2009-23-09 -became a couple(was so happy:)

2010-21-03 -visited Philippines(spent wonderful times together)

2010=27-03 -engaged(Yes!!)

2010-09-04 -went back to US :(

2010-29-04 -Filed I-29F

2010-04-05 -Received NOA1

2010-12-07 -NOA2 approved

2010-18-07 -Received NOA2 hardcopy

2010-26-07 -US Embassy(Manila) received our petition!!..(yahoo!!)

2010-04-08 -HAPPY BDAY MATT!!

2010-18-08 -Medical Exam-PASSED!!..God is so good!!

2010-26-08 -Interview @ USEmbassy- APPROVED( Thank you Lord!)

2010-03-09 -Got my Visa in Hand!!..Yepey..Thank God!!..

2010-17-09 -POE:SFO,CA

2010-23-10 -Wedding @ Springfield, MO

* AOS Journey

2010-07-12 -Filed for AOS & EAD(USPS Express Mail)

2010-08-12 -USCIS received the package

2010-14-12 -Received text & email from USCIS that they accepted our AOS & EAD Application..HAPPY BDAY MARIA!!

2010-20-12 -Got our NOA1 letters in the mail for our I-485 & I-765...A wonderful Christmas gift for us!!

2011-19-01 -Received Biometrics schedule!!

2011-07-02 -Biometrics done!!..thanked God!!

2011-17-03 -AOS Interview..APPROVED!!

2011-24-03 -GREENCARD received!!..it's green indeed!!..lol..

Moved this over from K-1 forum.

To the OP, I hope you find some help, it looks like you might have VAWA grounds to start proceeding. Honestly, I am not sure about your chances, given your status.

3dflags_ukr0001-0001a.gif3dflags_usa0001-0001a.gif

Travelers - not tourists

Friday.gif

VAWA would be the route to go - even though you are out of status and didn't even apply for the AOS - with what you posted - it's exactly what the VAWA was made for.

Leave the person, go to a shelter and get in contact with a lawyer (or other consul) to start the process.

If you wish to go home, contact your consulate/embassy and they will help you to do so. (contact the police also - if he is forcing you to have sex - he is raping you)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

you said u want to go home, in that case contact your consulate/embassy and they can help you to go home.

In meantime you can get help from women's shelter try to contact them thru a friend.

Also you can call cops on him if he is forcing u to have sex, its not going to be easy as soon as he will be out he will try to get back at you for reporting him to cops, but u will have to do it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What is VAWA?

Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) is a United States federal law.

Battered Spouses can apply for a green card under VAWA with proof. You must report him to the cops for what he is doing to you.

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I am in St. Thomas U.S. V.I.,I came her on a K-1 visa we got married with in the 90 day time period,that was a year ago. My husband has been verbally abusing me and forcing himself on me sexually. He will not file for my green card and will not give me funds to call home or to by panties and other feminine needs. He says if I complain he will call the INS and have me deported. I want to go home but have no way to do that. I don't want to break the law, I have no money and less hope.

Your post says you don't want to stay in the US, so your aim is to call home in order to GET home.

Personally I would proceed to a police station and ask them to make a report. Or while he's at work, go to your neighbours, ask THEM to call the police (not 911, this isn't an urgent situation/emergency) and ask them to "guard" you while you pack up your stuff and they can take you to a shelter OR to take you to the nearest consulate for your country.

If there's no consulate close (like there isn't for me) I'd elect for the shelter and call the nearest consulate to see what they can assist you with. Perhaps even ask them if you can use the phone to reverse charge a phone call home, or just CALL home, no reverse charges.

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.