GJen

As a non-USC, what impact did food & water from the U.S. have on you?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Our interview is scheduled for August 31st. The plan is for G to come in October and I've been thinking so much about the future! G is a big fan of chicken particularly KFC in Venezuela-- and so I'm excited to take him to different places with better chicken... like Chick-Fil-A!

Then I got to thinking.... you always hear stories of "traveler's diarrhea and well, I was sick for a good 2 weeks during my first trip to Venezuela! I know there is bacteria in all water, but that people tend to become immune to the bacteria in the water in the native land. So going out of the country and being introduced to new bacteria may cause sickness or infection.

Because of all of that... I'm not sure if I should hold off on introducing him to fast food and restaurants for fear that he have some and like it and then later vomit it all up and then Chick-Fil-A is ruined for him for life! lol

What was your experience?

How long before you drank tap water/ drank water with ice in it/eat raw fruits and vegetables? How did it effect you?

Did you get sick fairly soon after getting here? How long did it last?

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

Filed: Timeline

I am from the UK and things don't appear much different. However when ever I visited I got consitiption for the first two weeks. Since moving after about a month I noticed my skin was getting bad even though I was eating all of the same type of things. I did however get really bad stomach ache after eating white castle - so bad my hubby had to drive to the pharmacy in the middle of the night to get me something!

Another thing that affected me is bug bites = even mosquitoes. Even though I was used to them I got bitten really bad and had reactions. I also got bitten by a spider as I slept and the reaction for me was huge compared to my hubby who was used to these things.

I dont drink tap water but I eat ice and have had no issues. Hope this helps.

I am from the UK and things don't appear much different. However when ever I visited I got consitiption for the first two weeks.

Ditto.

The tap water has chemicals in it, so I don't drink it. That and it tastes gross. I stick to bottled water.

The veggies also have some issues in some places (either very bland or look like they've been run over by a truck), so you have to make sure you get them fresh! Walmart produce section is awful, so I go to Hanaford or Shaws.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The tap water here tastes awful. I am from the Great Lakes region of Canada, and the tap water at home is actually drinkable. It takes natural and normal to me. Here, it tastes like there is chlorine or some other chemical in the water, and makes me feel ill. So, like Gemmie, I stick to bottled water.

Other than that, I didn't have any issues, aside from my skin getting very dry the first month or so. I think it was just a difference in climate and temperature. I adapted and my skin is completely normal again.

Good luck at your interview! :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I found that the water here has an extreme amount of chlorine in it, so I stick to bottled water and have installed one of th Pur filters on the faucet for when I make juice and cook. When I was in my first trimester and suffering from morning sickness, I would have to hold my breath when I turned on the tap because the smell of chemicals was so strong!!! As for food and produce, I haven't had any issues.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Like most of you guys, we also don't drink tap water. I'm not picky when it comes to food, however, I don't like how the sausage tastes. It is just very different from our sausage in the Philippines. Ohh I love Chik-Fil-A :)

I noticed that my facial skin gets dry easily here, especially when I first came, hubby told me it will be worst in the winter :( And having used to live in a tropical country, I'm sure I'll have a hard time in the winter.

AOS Process

2010-12-30------------Sent I-485, I-765, & I-131

2011-01-10------------Received NOA1 for AOS, EAD, & AP

2011-01-18------------Biometrics letter received

2011-02-07------------Case transferred to CSC

2011-02-10------------Biometrics in Detroit

2011-02-28------------Permanent Resident Card Production Ordered

2011-03-07------------Green Card and Welcome Letter received

7zglumjya7rwu.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Did you get sick fairly soon after getting here? How long did it last?
The wife-to-be was sick just about the minute she got off the plane, due to sleep-lack and overindulgence at something like four consecutive "despedidas" (going-away parties) before she left, si man: sinus and upper respiratory infections, cough man.

U.S. tap water is safe to drink, in contrast with that of Ecuador (and especially Guayaquil). If it tastes funny at first, build up toward developing a taste for it.

One very important recommendation (one that I have too often ignored and lived to regret) is to drink water like a ####### before, during, and after long airplane trips. Remaining well-hydrated can keep a lot of secondary health conditions -- including the digestive -- from developing at all, si man.

Regarding food, moderation is important. Try not to "puerco out" on too many foods that are too, uh, alien, si man. If he tries a few bites and likes it, try more, but avoid overindulging right away until it's seen how his digestive system tolerates it. Buffet restaurants (ethnic or American food) are good grounds for testing tolerance -- bearing in mind that American buffet restaurants can soak their products in butter, and that ethnic restaurants can overapply spices or herbs or other items that may not be in such large proportion elsewhere. Again, when unsure, test in moderation. (My own philosophy is to stuff myself until I'm about to be sick, si man.)

This reminds me of the joke:

Customer: Waiter! This coffee tastes like MUD!

Waiter: It should, sir; it was GROUND this morning.

:bonk:

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

The wife-to-be was sick just about the minute she got off the plane, due to sleep-lack and overindulgence at something like four consecutive "despedidas" (going-away parties) before she left, si man: sinus and upper respiratory infections, cough man.

U.S. tap water is safe to drink, in contrast with that of Ecuador (and especially Guayaquil). If it tastes funny at first, build up toward developing a taste for it.

One very important recommendation (one that I have too often ignored and lived to regret) is to drink water like a ####### before, during, and after long airplane trips. Remaining well-hydrated can keep a lot of secondary health conditions -- including the digestive -- from developing at all, si man.

Regarding food, moderation is important. Try not to "puerco out" on too many foods that are too, uh, alien, si man. If he tries a few bites and likes it, try more, but avoid overindulging right away until it's seen how his digestive system tolerates it. Buffet restaurants (ethnic or American food) are good grounds for testing tolerance -- bearing in mind that American buffet restaurants can soak their products in butter, and that ethnic restaurants can overapply spices or herbs or other items that may not be in such large proportion elsewhere. Again, when unsure, test in moderation. (My own philosophy is to stuff myself until I'm about to be sick, si man.)

This reminds me of the joke:

Customer: Waiter! This coffee tastes like MUD!

Waiter: It should, sir; it was GROUND this morning.

:bonk:

So... moral of the story.... "Drink water like a #######, si man" jaja gracias!

G(Venezuela)Venezuela%20flag-S-anim.gifanimated_earth.gifus-flag-small.gifJen(GA,U.S.)iATxm5.png369549mx7b73btk2.gif

Visajourney.png

I get the worst headaches if I fly and end up getting dehydrated. I have learned these are wise words through hard experienc. And I never touch anything with alcohol before or during flying.

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm from Indonesia, born and raised. Lived there til I was 17. In Jakarta we boil our drinking water.

When I came here I started drinking tap water from day 1. Ate whatever the college cafeteria was serving.

Didn't have any digestive problems that I can remember, from KFC or chic-fil-A .. of course that was almost 11 years ago now so my memory of my first days here are a bit hazy!

Actually now that I think of it, first time having taco bell was not the best digestive experience :blush::lol:

The one thing I remember that surprised me was that summer nights can sometimes be chilly.. No one told me that.

I was prepared to be cold in the winter, but had no idea that you can be a little chilly in the summertime too!

Edited by engineer21
AOS 05/08/10 - sent05/14/10 - receipt date on NOAs - transferred to National Benefits Center06/14/10 - Biometrics Done - Lawrence, MA (original appt)07/26/10 - Interview - APPROVED!!07/30/10 - Welcome letter rec'd (notice date: 07/26)08/05/10 - Green Card (&EAD) Received! - 2 months and 28 days total!ROC 04/28/12 - ROC package sent05/03/12 - check cashed05/04/12 - NOA1 received - dated 05/01/1206/07/12 - Biometrics done02/07/13 - Approved (status update via text msg)02/14/13 - Ten year Green card receivedNaturalization07/26/13 - eligible (90 day window opened 4/27/13)02/24/14 - N-400 sent to Dallas03/04/14 - Check cashed & case accepted (update via txt & email)03/10/14 - Biometrics appt letter rec'd (scheduled for 03/28/13)03/28/14 - Biometrics done04/01/14 - In line for interview 04/03/14 - Case status change to scheduled for interview04/10/14 - interview letter rec'd 5/13/14 - interview 6/3/14 - in line for oath 6/30/14 - Scheduled for oath

Timeline

Lol. Getting a stomach after eating Whitecastle doesn't surprise me at all!

I think you should be very gentle about introducing the too many US restaurants in the first month...usually in South American countries there is a very low level of grease and fats--not so in the US. I have to be careful myself even though I am a USC, every time I go back to the US after being gone I can get malaise from the food.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

water tastes gross, no wonder that many Americans have white teeth with all the chlorine they drink. I don't think I will ever get used to it, that's why I switched to beer :)

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

even in Canada I didn't like drinking water from the tap :P

for the first little while of living here in the US I would buy bottled water but then awhile back I bought a Brita filter pitcher.. it is a lot cheaper then buying bottled water all the time...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I can only agree with you guys on tap water! Not a good idea!

As to the food, I have a hard time dealing with all the sugar and grease! Taco Bell, Chick-a-filet and Co. are totally out of question for me. Cramps, stomach aches, bad skin, weight gain, whatever you want.

I only eat out at good and fresh restaurants avoiding any kinds of chains, or we cook at home. John has to appease his fast food and fries cravings by himself, unfortunately. :innocent: I totally avoid any TV dinners etc., too. They mess me up. I also wouldn't recommend Chinese buffets... :no:

K1 Timeline

Jan 2005: we first met and started dating

03/11/2010: I-129F sent

04/29/2010: touched and NOA2

05/17/2010: Consulate Frankfurt

05/19/2010: Package 3 received

07/02/2010: Packet 4 received

07/07/2010: Medical Exam in Munich

07/21/2010: Visa interview in Frankfurt - APPROVED

11/28/2010: POE

12/27/2010: Wedding

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Belgium
Timeline

My hubby didn't have much problem with it, but Belgium has fryers ever other street. :lol: He did gain a lot of weight though compared to when he ate similar things here in Belgium. He visited for only a couple months and gained 10lbs. XD Too much Mountain Dew and Frozen Burritos! lol He loves the food though. We can't drink the water in Hanford so it wasn't really an issue to drink water from the tap, I would avoid it though as most of the time unless you live off of well water, tap really doesn't taste or smell good.

Edited by Mithmeoi

belgium-flag.gift4518.gifunitedstates.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.