^_^

Will Texans go for this?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I take it you don't share Gary and Paul's optimism?

obviously not.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Baiting post with inappropriate comments (no the sarcasm didn't come across) has been removed along with posts quoting same. Behave, everyone - don't go fishing.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Baiting post with inappropriate comments (no the sarcasm didn't come across) has been removed along with posts quoting same. Behave, everyone - don't go fishing.

You are very selective here. You've left quite a few personal attacks which as far as I know are still against the ToS. :rolleyes:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Additional posts containing personal attacks have been removed. Some of the comments are meant humorously and are not meant as personal attacks. Those ones still remain.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
We have tree hugging idiots down my way too. They make good target practice. Figure the volt will be a nice speed bump.
Two thumbs up, si man. :lol:

The market? "Keep Austin Weird," si man.

The questions about density remind me of a joke that I read a zillion or so years ago (repeated verbatim, no offense to anyone):

Teacher: Who can tell me something about the people of China?

Student: They are very stupid!

Teacher: Why would you claim THAT?

Student: Our textbook says that the population of China is the densest in the world!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Two thumbs up, si man. :lol:

The market? "Keep Austin Weird," si man.

The questions about density remind me of a joke that I read a zillion or so years ago (repeated verbatim, no offense to anyone):

Teacher: Who can tell me something about the people of China?

Student: They are very stupid!

Teacher: Why would you claim THAT?

Student: Our textbook says that the population of China is the densest in the world!

That funny.good.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I take it you don't share Gary and Paul's optimism?

To be clear...

I do not have a lot of optimism for electric cars and I do not beleive they are the wave of the future. If they were, we wouldn't need tax credits to sell them. There WILL be another means of transportation in the future, just as there was "in the future" in 1895. We do not do things the same as 50 or 100 years ago and we will not do them the same 50 or 100 years hence.

That said...Texas, particularly certain regions in Texas, are as good a place as any, maybe better, to test market an all electric car. There are plenty of wealthy liberals there to buy them to impress their friends with their energy sense when they go to cocktail parties, they can still keep the Humvee in the garage for real driving. A small handgun packs away in a pocket nicely, they don't need a gun rack.

If they only use it to drive around the golf course, Chevy doesn't care.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

To be clear...

I do not have a lot of optimism for electric cars and I do not beleive they are the wave of the future. If they were, we wouldn't need tax credits to sell them. There WILL be another means of transportation in the future, just as there was "in the future" in 1895. We do not do things the same as 50 or 100 years ago and we will not do them the same 50 or 100 years hence.

That said...Texas, particularly certain regions in Texas, are as good a place as any, maybe better, to test market an all electric car. There are plenty of wealthy liberals there to buy them to impress their friends with their energy sense when they go to cocktail parties, they can still keep the Humvee in the garage for real driving. A small handgun packs away in a pocket nicely, they don't need a gun rack.

If they only use it to drive around the golf course, Chevy doesn't care.

Yes, as Gary said, we really shouldn't rely on any sort of scientific research to reduce our dependance on oil. Electric? Screw that, we'll all be riding in nuclear powered DeLoreans that can time travel in the next ten years, and we will be laughing at the people who were suckers and bought Prius' and electric cars. :rofl:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Yes, as Gary said, we really shouldn't rely on any sort of scientific research to reduce our dependance on oil. Electric? Screw that, we'll all be riding in nuclear powered DeLoreans that can time travel in the next ten years, and we will be laughing at the people who were suckers and bought Prius' and electric cars. :rofl:

You have misunderstood. Scientific research that generates a profit will, as always, produce a better way. It always has, it always will. electric cars are not "useless", they are useful in that they are a step in the scientific process (which I will let someone else pay for that benefits from this at cocktail parties, I do not) I certainly would not call the Wright Brothers useless, but their type of plane was not the wave of the future, the concept was...flight...but not bi-planes with 8 hp pusher props. The concept of alternative travel is fine and will result in great benefits, but it will not be electric cars. Electric cars will be a stepping stone. The same way 8 track tapes were a stepping stone and VCRs and punch card computers and brick sized cell phones. I fear that tax credits will cause us to linger unusually long on a step, but probably not. When something really good comes along, people will flock to it and it will overnight become the state of the art.

I always laugh when people say that our oil supply will "only last 400 years" and think...WHAT do we do the same as we did 400 years ago? Oil will be an obsolete product, the middle east will revert to their rightful place as a worthless sandbox.

I do not know what the future holds and neither do you because the future has yet to be invented. If it is profitable to do so.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

I always laugh when people say that our oil supply will "only last 400 years" and think...WHAT do we do the same as we did 400 years ago? Oil will be an obsolete product, the middle east will revert to their rightful place as a worthless sandbox.

In January, the United States Geological Survey estimated that there may be more than 500 billion barrels of oil in Venezuela's Orinoco belt region. That's twice that of the proven reserves of Saudi Arabia, previously believed to be the world's most oil-rich country.

http://www.aolnews.com/article/venezuela-oil-reserves-could-be-worlds-largest-what-it-means-f/19553943

Timeline

You have misunderstood. Scientific research that generates a profit will, as always, produce a better way. It always has, it always will. electric cars are not "useless", they are useful in that they are a step in the scientific process (which I will let someone else pay for that benefits from this at cocktail parties, I do not) I certainly would not call the Wright Brothers useless, but their type of plane was not the wave of the future, the concept was...flight...but not bi-planes with 8 hp pusher props. The concept of alternative travel is fine and will result in great benefits, but it will not be electric cars. Electric cars will be a stepping stone. The same way 8 track tapes were a stepping stone and VCRs and punch card computers and brick sized cell phones. I fear that tax credits will cause us to linger unusually long on a step, but probably not. When something really good comes along, people will flock to it and it will overnight become the state of the art.

I do not know what the future holds and neither do you because the future has yet to be invented. If it is profitable to do so.

Scientific research that generates a profit? I would call that tainted research that has an agenda, much like the research that various high risk companies fund to purport that their product or service is perfectly safe, despite their lack of scientific integrity. Sorry Gary, but the market doens't fix all that ails our world.

In January, the United States Geological Survey estimated that there may be more than 500 billion barrels of oil in Venezuela's Orinoco belt region. That's twice that of the proven reserves of Saudi Arabia, previously believed to be the world's most oil-rich country.

http://www.aolnews.com/article/venezuela-oil-reserves-could-be-worlds-largest-what-it-means-f/19553943

So what you're saying is that we are either going to sponsor a coup in Venezuela, or outright invade the next time we get a Republican president?

Filed: Timeline

So what you're saying is that we are either going to sponsor a coup in Venezuela, or outright invade the next time we get a Republican president?

Chavez is an evil dictator who eats his opponents babies for breakfast. We'd be doing them a favor. How can we allow liberty and freedom to be trampled like this in our own Hemisphere? And besides, it is well known that Chavez is hooked up with al-Qaeda and Iran.

Timeline

Chavez is an evil dictator who eats his opponents babies for breakfast. We'd be doing them a favor. How can we allow liberty and freedom to be trampled like this in our own Hemisphere? And besides, it is well known that Chavez is hooked up with al-Qaeda and Iran.

LoL, did you see that video of a u.s. congresswoman theorizing that Iran is sending it's terrorists to venezuela to train on how to "look and act mexican" so they could infiltrate the U.S. and avoid detection as islamic terrorists?