Sign in to follow this  
^_^

Will Texans go for this?

44 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I can understand marketing this in California, the NYC metro area (NY, NJ, CT) and Washington DC. And I can see why you'd market GM's hope for the future in Michigan.

But Texas? I don't get that at all. Would this actually fly in Texas?

DETROIT – General Motors Co. is guaranteeing the battery in its Chevrolet Volt electric car for eight years or 100,000 miles in an effort to inspire confidence in the new technology.

The rechargeable Volt is due in showrooms this November. The vehicle can travel 40 miles on battery power before a small gasoline engine takes over to generate power so the car can go longer distances.

The Volt will first go on sale in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Michigan, California and Washington, D.C.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gm_volt_warranty

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Texas is one the most populous states, 2nd I believe, possibly 3rd if enough New Yorkers haven't moved there yet. There are plenty of yuppies and liberals in Texas (Austin is full of them so are the wealthier areas of Dallas, such as Highland Park) to make a go of selling an electric car there...not a high enough percentage to make texas a "blue state" but if even 1% of Texans buy one, that is a pretty good market.

People who are not ignorant of the state would know this.

Texans can carry concealed handguns, no need for a "gun rack".

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Texas is one the most populous states, 2nd I believe, possibly 3rd if enough New Yorkers haven't moved there yet. There are plenty of yuppies and liberals in Texas (Austin is full of them so are the wealthier areas of Dallas, such as Highland Park) to make a go of selling an electric car there...not a high enough percentage to make texas a "blue state" but if even 1% of Texans buy one, that is a pretty good market.

Yes, but is Texas dense enough to warrant spending 35K on a car that seems to be designed (GM's protestations to the contrary notwithstanding) for urban travel?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Despite rhetoric by ignorant individuals on this state, we actually do quite well in alternative energy and newer environmental technologies....

So yeah, the Volt will do well here.

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

Yes, but is Texas dense enough to warrant spending 35K on a car that seems to be designed (GM's protestations to the contrary notwithstanding) for urban travel?

Yes. The density in the metroplex or Houston rivals nearly anything in the US. Texas also has a much shorter average commute than cities such as New York or Chicago due to a general lower cost of living and more reasonable home prices, it is not necessary to live 60 miles away from Dallas to find a home the average person can afford. Short commutes are ideal for electric cars. Texans also have an aversion to public transportation, much preferring a private car.

Texas is, as GM has surmised, an excellent place to test the Volt. Since GM is playing with MY money now, I am glad they chose Texas and did not listen to people ignorant of the state.

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Dallas/Fort Worth - 9th and 17th Largest Cities in the United States - 4th Largest US Metro area in the country

Houston - 4th Largest City in the United States - 6th Largest US Metro area

Austin - 15th Largest City in the United States

San Antonio - 7th Largest City in the United States - 28th Largest Metro Area

El Paso - 22nd Largest City in the United States

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Dallas/Fort Worth - 9th and 17th Largest Cities in the United States - 4th Largest US Metro area in the country

Houston - 4th Largest City in the United States - 6th Largest US Metro area

Austin - 15th Largest City in the United States

San Antonio - 7th Largest City in the United States - 28th Largest Metro Area

El Paso - 22nd Largest City in the United States

Yes, I know Texas has cities. But are they dense? I've been to Austin and San Antonio and they didn't strike me as very dense. Certainly not like the cities on the eastern seaboard, which would be much more well suited for a vehicle like this.

Timeline

Yes, I know Texas has cities. But are they dense? I've been to Austin and San Antonio and they didn't strike me as very dense. Certainly not like the cities on the eastern seaboard, which would be much more well suited for a vehicle like this.

It's all relative no matter where you are to how far you live from your work...

It's dense. Some people commute, some don't.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

eastern seaboard folks that live close to work take public transpotation. Texans are not into that. The ones that l;ive farther from work cannot use an all electric car.

The Liberals in Austin that live 8 miles from work are perfect for the Volt.

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

it might have some sales in austin and dfw area, but that's about it.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Texans will drive it on the golf course most likely, or to get from their bathroom to the lounge.

For day to day they'd buy the car equivalent of a house on wheels that gets 6 miles to the gallon and has more gun racks than cupholders.

Edited by Its a MADHOUSE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Parts are - 'population dense' .

The cool thing about Texas - is that we have huge Wind Generator Electrical plant thingies in West Texas, coming into the power grid all over the state. So ya, there's a marked demographic for 'this' purchase - you betcha.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !