VisaJourneyDude

It didn't work out

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

OK... It didn't work out. She apparently had a change of heart after she got her Visa. Does this make it harder for me the next time I apply for another K1 Visa.... and how long will I have to wait until I can apply again?

Thank you...

What an amazing story! You must be devistated. I would give it a month of mourning before trying agian.

The most common scam that I could think of that would end this way is if you were being played for money by a girl who never had any intention of marrying you and immigrating to the US. Some girls in some countries (and some guys posing as girls on the internet) make a pretty good living doing this, and often have several guys on the hook at the same time. Tell tail signs would be a never ending string of minor "emergencies" that require you to send her some cash to get her out of some predicament. You'd have to think about the history of your relationship and decide if the shoe fits. If you didn't send her any money then you probably weren't being scammed. She probably just got cold feet.

There is a filing limitation on the I-129F imposed by the IMBRA act. If you've had a petition approved within the past two years, or you've submitted two or more petitions at any time in your life, then you'd need a waiver of the filing limitations in order for USCIS to process another I-129F petition from you. Getting the waiver is relatively straightforward. You just include a letter with the I-129F explaining why the previous petitions didn't work out, and why you believe the filing limitation should not be applied in your case. Unless you have some criminal violation that is covered by the IMBRA, they usually approve these waivers.

She has never asked for money once... I even offered to pay for her shopping stuff when I visited her but she refused. I really don't know what the real reason is but her excuses were definitely cold feet related.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Better to find out now than after she comes to the U.S.

Sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I hope you can take enough time to heal before getting into a new relationship.

Best wishes.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

She has never asked for money once... I even offered to pay for her shopping stuff when I visited her but she refused. I really don't know what the real reason is but her excuses were definitely cold feet related.

Then there's no reason you should feel like you got scammed. Abandoning your life and moving to another country is a huge step to take. It sounds like she just wasn't ready to take it.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Notify the embassy and tell them you no longer wish to continue with the relationship. This way the visa will get flagged if she should try to use it in order to enter the U.S.

I have read a few cases where the beneficiary got the visa, told the petitioner that he/she changed her mind, then entered the U.S. anyway and stayed with friends/family. They were just looking for an ticket to get to the U.S. and the relationship was the means to that end. Once the visa has been obtained, there is no reason for them to continue with the relationship so they let them down easily and tell them that they've had a change of heart.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Sorry to hear that she got cold feet, maybe it is something you could work on together to help her get through it?

I know from being less than a week from departing that it is hard to give up all you have and all you have ever known and I know that without the support of my other half I would be getting cold feet too. Have you considered flying over to see her / help her with getting ready.

I just hate to see it as a lost cause and I am really hoping your thinking about a k1 for her again in the future and not for someone else as it really bugs me people who decide they "want a foreign wife" and that is their many focus - not that I am suggesting that is you of course.

I hope you can work it out with her I really do, keep us update as I'd love to hear you got a happy ending :)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Zambia
Timeline

Waiver request? I wonder what their considerations are for the waiver request.

Thank you!

There are no considerations; you simply write a brief letter with your next petition requesting that a waiver be granted. It is not a big deal and won't delay processing at all. You are 100% eligible at this time to petition again, once you've met the basic requirements. Things like this happen quite often; maybe she is quite young??

Edited by Old Dominion

Oh maaaaaaaaan. I remember my last few days before I immigrated. I felt so overwhelmed I could have run away from everything and not looked back for weeks. I could hardly breath at the enormity of what I was about to do.

It may be that she just needs some time. Some people dont have a lot to lose when they leave but they are probably the exception and not the rule. Many of us left friends, family and lives we loved.

I dont think you were being scammed (she didn't take the money...where is the "scam"?). I think she just couldn't face leaving it all behind. You never know, she might come around. Although...if YOUR already talking about future prospects...maybe she did you both a favor??

Good luck in the future.

K1

PLEASE SEE MY TIMELINE FOR K1 INFORMATION

AOS complete!

08/21/2009 - AOS package sent

08/28/2009 - NOA 1 for AOS, EAD, AP

08/31/2009 - Cheque cashed

09/05/2009 - Biometrics notice received

09/23/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/23/2009 - I-485 Transferred to CSC

10/02/2009 - EAD Approved (card production) & AP approved!

10/11/2009 - EAD Card received

10/20/2009 - AOS approved, GC card production ordered! (53 days in total)

10/26/2009 - Green Card received - nearly 11 months to the day of our K1 NOA 1!

11/25/2009 - Started my new job!

02/26/2010 - Passed my driving test :-p

07/20/2011 - Eligible to remove conditions

2012 - Going for citizenship

09/20/2011 - Removal of conditions submitted to VSC....here we go...again!

It's been a quick and relatively painless journey thanks to tireless research, dumb luck and this community :)

DONE with USCIS for a while :)

mnb0ir.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

OK... It didn't work out. She apparently had a change of heart after she got her Visa. Does this make it harder for me the next time I apply for another K1 Visa.... and how long will I have to wait until I can apply again?

Thank you...

Hi,

I am so sorry you had to experience this like this, but I have a suggestion for you. Tell her that you could move there and share your life with her. Watch how she reacts. I feel like love is worth fighting for if it is real. If she's up for it then you know that she just doesn't want to leave her family behind. If she is still not sure, I would think that either she was just using you or never inside her heart she was absolutely sure. Give her time if you feel like she is still worth it.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

I-129F Sent : 2009-12-04

I-129F NOA1 : 2009-12-07

I-129F RFE(s) : 2010-03-19

RFE Reply(s) : 2010-03-24

I-129F NOA2 : 2010-03-30

Approved after 113 days!

NVC Received : 2010-04-01

NVC Forwarded Case to Bogota 2010-04-05

NOA2 Hard Copy received: 2010-04-05

Embassy received Petition: 2010-04-13

Embassy mailed Packet 3: 2010-04-13

Packet 3 Faxed : 2010-04-13

Packet 3 Received in the mail: 2010-04-23

Interview Date: 2010-06-11

Packet 4 mailed: 2010-23-04

Packet 4 Received: 2010-05-05

Medical scheduled: 2010-06-09

Interview Approved ! 06-11-2010

Visas Received: 06-18-2010

POE: 2010-09-27 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Wedding Date: 10-09-2010

AOS Timeline:

3-16-2011 Priority Mailed AOS packet

3-21-2011 Check Cashed

3-22-2011 NOA1 for I-485, I-765, I-131

4-19-2011 Biometrics Appointment

5-11-2011 Approved EAD and mailed

5-11-2011 Approved I-131 and mailed

5-14-2011 EAD CARD Received priority mail

I'm so sorry..

2005---We met by friend/Church member that was living in Nigeria

2006---We begin to talk about getting married

2007---I was going to met him face to face, but hurt my back couldn't walk..

2009---Was able to see each for the first time.. I got my engagement ring (WOW).. :wow:

2010-01-22 mailed I129f

2010-01-26 got NOA1

2010-05-12 called to see why no NOA2, I was told that our case is not being processed yet!!!!! No notes in the computer

other then the mailing of the NOA1!!!!!!! :angry:

2010-05-18 called SERVICE CENTER again to see what's going on with our case.. NOT BEING PROCESSED YET I WAS TOLD AGAIN!!!

2010-06-16 Got notice that NOA2 was approved 141 days after NOA1. We got our approval on Ossy's Birthday.. Happy birthday honey, I love you!!!!

2010-06-21 got NOA2 in hand

2010-06-22 called NVC to see if papers was there, but was told that my DOB was not right in the system. Just mailed a letter along with a copy of my birth certificate asking to change my DOB.. Way to go VCS..

2010-06-22 NVC received the case

2010-06-23 Case sent to Embassy in Barbados

2010-06-28 Embassy received our case

2010-08-09 Interview Administrative Review

2010-11-15 Approved for Visa (I was on the mission to make sure the INTERVIEWER that we had never interviewed anyone else and I did it).. Know that you have right and don't let the interviewer cross the line..

2010-12-10 Visa and Passport in hand!!! Thank God!!!

2010-12-19 Ossy will enter the States!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm so sorry..

i'm with Ellie on this one. this is a big thing to do, leave your family, go to another country, get married, and if english is not her first language, learn a new language and/or culture as well. you have several months to use the visa. Maybe this is a better thing to do right now, rather than looking for bride no.2. ( ???? strange)) give her time, and if she doesnt want to marry you, then leave it alone. I know there are two sides to every story, but i know it doesnt necessarily mean she was scamming you. when i got married to my husband my jitters expressed themselves in constant worrying, bickering about silly things. it happens to the best of us. I had no problem leaving england, i spent two years saying goodbye, maybe she has some goodbyes to do, i dont know, but what i do know its better to err on the side of caution when it comes to marriage.

i wish you all the best.

4650093_bodyshot_300x400_1285472169089.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Plenty more fish in the sea.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Notify the embassy and tell them you no longer wish to continue with the relationship. This way the visa will get flagged if she should try to use it in order to enter the U.S.

I have read a few cases where the beneficiary got the visa, told the petitioner that he/she changed her mind, then entered the U.S. anyway and stayed with friends/family. They were just looking for an ticket to get to the U.S. and the relationship was the means to that end. Once the visa has been obtained, there is no reason for them to continue with the relationship so they let them down easily and tell them that they've had a change of heart.

This is what I'm thinking you should do as well, just in case...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If she scammed you to get a K-1 visa, she's an idiot and/or receiving very bad advice. If she enters the US on that visa without telling you and with no intention of ever seeing you, she has just permanently hosed herself out of ever being able to legalize her status in US.

A K-1 is not like a tourist visa. On a tourist visa a scammer can come in, overstay, live for a few years as an illegal, seduce some poor idiot, get married and AOS. A K-1 entrant cannot EVER AOS EXCEPT through marriage to the SPECIFIC USC named on the visa.

She'd almost be better off sneaking into Mexico and swimming the Rio. There is at least some reasonable hope of amnesty for EWI illegals coming down the pipe sometime in the next year or two. There is NO reasonable hope that ANY conceivable immigration reform will provide a path for K-1 entrant overstayers to AOS through someone other than her petitioner.

If she's a scammer, and we don't know for sure that she is, and if she's thinking "I've got the visa, I'm done with him now"... OH BOY has she got a rude surprise coming.

The humane thing to do would be, in the natural course of talking to her and attempting to save your relationship, to somehow, diplomatically convey this to her, if at all possible without implying that you seriously think she was scamming you.

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
:( that's so sad. I hope she has a second change of heart and things work out for the best *hugs*

02-date forgotten-2008: met online playing a game called lineage 2

06-17-2009: met in person for the first time!

06-26-2009: proposal <3

10-6-2009 through 11-3-2009: lived together for a month

03-24-2010 through 03-30-2010: traveled to meet his family

06-16-2010: started printing paperwork for I-129F package

06-25-2010: mailed off the I-129F package!!!

07-06-2010: NOA1 (according to the paper I hadn't got yet)

07-08-2010: check cashed

07-12-2010: hard copy NOA1 received in the mail

07-12-2010: touched

10-03-2010: touched

10-29-2010: NOA2!

11-08-2010: NVC received our petition

01-01-2011: called embassy as we never got packet 3. got "lost" in the mail. worst 2 months ever!

01-18-2011: medical! passed!

02-18-2011: INTERVIEW! APPROVED!!

03-02-2011: FLIGHT! POE: Dulles Airport!

03-09-2011: marriage certificate/license complete!

05-11-2011: mailed out AOS package (after a long fight getting the varicella vax done, and the medical paperwork completed)

05-13-2011: package delivered

08-11-2011: welcome to the united states notice! green card coming in 3 weeks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.