siska

got 2 year GC, now divorceHei!

31 posts in this topic

Hei!

My marriage is over. I got GC last week and I also applied for Social Security card, it must come in 2 weeks. Im going to wait to receive it and then Im flying back to my homecountry. My question is- I have right to be in USA for 2 years right? To live and work? Nobody and nothing can revoke my status? Im thinking to get rest of my abusing marriage and then come back here. Because there is no work at my home...Please advise me.

If you have your green card, then yes - your status is secure for the next two years. When it comes time to remove conditions on that green card, you'll have to apply for that with a 'waiver' since you will then be divorced. You'll have to prove that you entered the marriage in good faith but it broke down. If all goes well, then you should be granted your 10 year green card.

You can go back home for a visit, but you'll want to be careful with how long you stay away. You don't want to appear as if you're abandoning your permanent resident status. I would definitely come back before you've been out of the country for 6 months.

SA4userbar.jpg

If the marriage is over, as in the divorce is final, the OP can file for ROC now, no need to wait 2 years.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Timeline

. . . is actually required to file for ROC. If the disgruntled wife informs USCIS that her husband is a bad guy who just "used" her in order to get a Green Card, they maybe inclined to take action.

Siska,

you got granted lawful permanent residence in the USA based on one condition: being married to your US citizen wife. If that condition is not given anymore, your residency expires.

In most cases nobody will check up on you until it comes to the point where your Green Card expires, but if your wife tries to break all hell loose, she can get USCIS to get busy in your case.

Edited by Just Bob

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

USCIS requires that you file an AR-11 change of address notice within 10 days of change of address. they also require that you notify the nebraska office as soon as you seperate. after your notice of seperation is filed your status as an LPR loses it's basis, and you must file an I-751 waiver concurrently to avoid immediate deportation hearings. you do not get to just hang out for 2 years.

you might try to ignore these requirements. if you do you might retain status for a month, or for a year. you might lose status and not even know it. it's a ####### shoot, as you are giving up the golden ring. your wife is a wild card in the picture. she is gonna be angry that you used her, and if you threaten her you will just wind up in jail, and then deported. you're in a no win situation. go home and forget about the USA.

what a tangled web we weave...

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Gambia
Timeline

Uh no, your status isn't "safe" even after you get your two year green card.

My ex is now sitting in some unknown ICE location waiting to be deported. His green card status would have had one more year on it if he hadn't busted loose as soon he set foot on U.S. soil.

Think about what your doing. USCIS does listen to spouses when they report fraud. I reported my ex and he's outta here within 1 year. See my timeline.

12/25/2004 - Met my future hubby while on trip to Gambia

12/13/2006 - Married my hubby in Gambia (West Africa)

12/08/2007 - Sent I-130 to Chicago Lock box. USPS Express Mail December 08,'07, 7:44 pm

02/05/2008 - I-130 NOA1 Hardcopy Received in mailbox

05/27/2008 - Filed Expedite Request by phone with CSR

06/01/2008 - Received Denial Email

06/05/2008 - Filed 2nd request

06/23/2008 - Expedite Approved

07/27/2008 - NOA2

10/21/2008 - Case complete at NVC (Technically was expedited to embassy)

11/06/2008 - Interview at Dakar Embassy

11/06/2008 - Notice (show more income evidence from petitioner)

11/07/2008 - Case on hold

11/18/2008 - 2nd Interview Date

11/18/2008 - Notice (Show even more income and ORIGINAL docs now from 1st cosponsor

12/23/2008 - Received email for 3rd Interview scheduled for March 25th, 2009. Bring Pics

01/23/2009- In Gambia with hubby

03/25/2009- Interview

04/09/2009- POE Atlanta (CR-1 Status until 2011)

04/13/2009- husband arrested for domestic violence (Aggravated Assault-Felony)

05/19/2009- Filed for divorce

06/02/2009- Letter sent to immigration detailing abuse & fraud

09/08/2009- Divorce Hearing

09/10/2009- Divorce Trial (Continued)

03/11/2010- Notice To Appear issued

03/22/2010- Divorced

05/18/2010- Deportation Master Hearing

05/18/2010- Deportation Ordered

06/17/2010- Appeal Time Over. ICE picked him up. In Jail

08/10/2010- Another Master Hearing Scheduled. Out of jail.

05/31/2012- Individual Hearing Scheduled

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Just so that I understand, you just got your 2-year GC and now your marriage is over?

How long have you been married for?

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Just so that I understand, you just got your 2-year GC and now your marriage is over?

How long have you been married for?

I was wondering the same thing, why is your marriage over as soon as you have your green card?

Also, my husbands cousin married a girl while he was working in Africa. She is a u.s. citizen and he is from Lebanon. It took him 7 years to remove conditions for some reason. They just kept extending his visa for a year, for six months, etc. etc. Come to find out she had been reporting things to immigration behind his back because she was paranoid that he was using her. The sad thing was he really loved her, he landed a high paying job, leased her brand new SUV's every 2 years, gave her 500 a month clothes allowance, and was always at home when he wasn't working....he was too tired to do anything for himself because of the hours he worked (work home, work home, work home). She then went crazy on him and started drinking, became abusive, and went even more out of control with her spending habits. He finally blew up and left after 6 years, rented a small apartment and let her keep everything. He got a lawyer and was awarded his green card by an immigration judge. He later found out she had been reporting him for using her but I guess they just went on investigating and sitting on his case instead of deporting him because all of the time she was making reports behind his back he was living with her and thought everything was normal. Be careful not to make your husband or wife angry too soon or they could report you and you just might lose your green card.

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

Package received by CSC 6-14-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Biometrics letter received 7-6-2010 dated 7-01-2010

Biometrics appointment 7-23-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview letter recieved 10-13-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Approved and approval letter given at interview 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

But since your cousin was genuine case who entered into a bona fide marriage he did eventually get his green card.

It really depends on whether your case is genuine or not whether you genuinely entered the marriage in good faith or not...it doesnt matter i think if your USC spouse reports you...if you entered the marriage in good faith...those ppl looking at your cases are not idiots...it's really not difficult to tell who is in a bona fide marriage and who did it just for green card purposes.

I was wondering the same thing, why is your marriage over as soon as you have your green card?

Also, my husbands cousin married a girl while he was working in Africa. She is a u.s. citizen and he is from Lebanon. It took him 7 years to remove conditions for some reason. They just kept extending his visa for a year, for six months, etc. etc. Come to find out she had been reporting things to immigration behind his back because she was paranoid that he was using her. The sad thing was he really loved her, he landed a high paying job, leased her brand new SUV's every 2 years, gave her 500 a month clothes allowance, and was always at home when he wasn't working....he was too tired to do anything for himself because of the hours he worked (work home, work home, work home). She then went crazy on him and started drinking, became abusive, and went even more out of control with her spending habits. He finally blew up and left after 6 years, rented a small apartment and let her keep everything. He got a lawyer and was awarded his green card by an immigration judge. He later found out she had been reporting him for using her but I guess they just went on investigating and sitting on his case instead of deporting him because all of the time she was making reports behind his back he was living with her and thought everything was normal. Be careful not to make your husband or wife angry too soon or they could report you and you just might lose your green card.

But since your cousin was genuine case who entered into a bona fide marriage he did eventually get his green card.

It really depends on whether your case is genuine or not whether you genuinely entered the marriage in good faith or not...it doesnt matter i think if your USC spouse reports you...if you entered the marriage in good faith...those ppl looking at your cases are not idiots...it's really not difficult to tell who is in a bona fide marriage and who did it just for green card purposes.

Of course not, but I believe that is why it took so long for him to receive his permanent green card, because she was making problems.

I-751 Timeline

ROC sent 6-12-2010

Package received by CSC 6-14-2010

NOA sent 6-14-2010

Check Cashed 6-16-2010

NOA received 6-21-2010

Biometrics letter received 7-6-2010 dated 7-01-2010

Biometrics appointment 7-23-2010

Touched 7-23-2010

Touched 7-26-2010

Interview letter recieved 10-13-2010

Interview date 11-5-2010

Approved and approval letter given at interview 11-5-2010

Waiting on card now

Hello again!

I explain my situation- Im wife of US citizen. I came here November 2009, we got married at February 2010. When we were dating he was genuine gentleman, respectful, polite and funny guy. I was so much in love with him and I still are, but its obvious I cant live with him anymore.

After 1 month being married things went down the road. He got notice that he has to go to his second military mission for a year, to the war.

He has abusive childhood and I was aware of it, his father beated up him and other 3 kids when they were young. His father beated up his mom when she was waiting first child, last kid was rape baby. He was coming from home where yelling and beating was everyday case. When we dated he told me he never want to have to his life and family. And I truly believed him. Who wants that right?! But it havent went so. It comes out he has short temper and angry issues.

* He has yelled to me at Walmart, because I started to go to pay for things, over the shop "Where the hell are You going?", similiar case happened at Dollar Tree. Embarassing.

* We went to Sprint mobile shop to buy me a mobile (I paid) he told to 2 selling ladies "My wife knows very well when she is not good to be Im buying her nothing".

* At the moment he is at 2 month military training. Im at home. They are treating him bad there and he thinks its okay to put his anger to me- One day he needed car insurance papers. He has his own truck and car is bought to me. And I know that he has his truck papers, so I was asking him why he needs car documents by text. He called me back, yelling that its not my business because he provided me a car. And I have no right to question him things. I explained that we are married and I think I have right to ask. He said when he needs something then I have to do it and not ask nothing.

* I have tried to support him when he is at training. Being positive and supportive when we talk. One day I send him text "I love You", just so. He answered back- "Dont be clingy"

* I came to USA, of course I missed my family and friends. I was talking with them at Skype. He said I spend too much time there. I dont think that half or an hour is too much. At the end I even didnt speak to my family, because he would say smthg nasty to me. He have told that when I want to use his laptop (we have 2 of them) I have to pay him 50 bucks per hour.

* One time period I havent had right to watch TV, these female shows...Ray J and Housewives etc, because "I get there bad vocabulary"

* My wedding ring was too big and his too small. We needed them to resize. I called goldsmith and get to know it will cost 60-70 bucks. We had this money. But he went to shop and bought one of his gun part (his hobby is guns and he has many of them at home). Even though he knew how important it is to me that I could wear wedding ring. He chose his hobby over our marriage like.

* I have no right to speak with my exes and its fine with me. But heres double morale. He speaks with his ex fu*kbuddy through texts and facebook. When I told him that that I dont like it, then it wasnt my business to whom he speaks.

There are so many cases...And long time I have been thinking why he is yelling and abusive is because I DESERVE IT. Thanks God I have friends and family who have put sense back to my head.

His family is supportive to me, they say its not right what my husband does. His sisters, brother, mom and dad. Brother, sisters and mom say that he have got whole this bad behaviour from his dad. They say one time I just got tired of whole his bad treating. And You know what Im tired now. I cant imagine living with that person 50-60 years and giving kids to him.

I love him, I still do. But I think I just cant live with thatkind person anymore.

Saying I came to USA for GC is ********. I came here for love and to start family with that person. I left my very good career there, my friends and family. I paid my part of K1 costs and plane tickets to get here. I have been paid for whole my trips to see him. I really feel tricked.

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

marginal VAWA at best. grounds for divovce? up to you.

being yelled at a few times is not spousal abuse. being asked to provide some document about a car that was bought as marital property is no big deal. he can prolly get a benefit by proving the expense. female TV shows are really negative in their influence on married women, in general. texting used-to-be's is wrong for either of you. don't get me started on the gun stuff. as for skyping with family every night in front of the husband, avoid it. do it in the daytime when he's working. if it has to be done while he is around there should be a limit, especially if the skyping is done in a language the husband does not speak. continuing relationships in front of him that he is left out of is disrespectful.

you knew who he was when you married him, or should have. too many internet marriages on this site based on no real knowledge of the other person. what did you expect?

obamasolyndrafleeced-lmao.jpg

Yelling havent been "few times", these are times which Im bringing out. There are alot more.

He was at night time job and I was talking with my family at daytime, so he was at home at it was good time to my family. I always translated what we were talking. And when they talked, then I translated. But after some time it got annoying to him.

I think every person has right to watch from TV whatever they want when they have free time. And I spent nicely time with my spouse. I didnt chose TV over him.

Before we got married he didnt blow up his anger on me. This have changed now.

marginal VAWA at best. grounds for divovce? up to you.

being yelled at a few times is not spousal abuse. being asked to provide some document about a car that was bought as marital property is no big deal. he can prolly get a benefit by proving the expense. female TV shows are really negative in their influence on married women, in general. texting used-to-be's is wrong for either of you. don't get me started on the gun stuff. as for skyping with family every night in front of the husband, avoid it. do it in the daytime when he's working. if it has to be done while he is around there should be a limit, especially if the skyping is done in a language the husband does not speak. continuing relationships in front of him that he is left out of is disrespectful.

you knew who he was when you married him, or should have. too many internet marriages on this site based on no real knowledge of the other person. what did you expect?

Filed: Timeline

Female TV shows are really negative in their influence on married women, in general.

if it has to be done while he is around there should be a limit, especially if the skyping is done in a language the husband does not speak. continuing relationships in front of him that he is left out of is disrespectful.

words fail me. wow.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
as for skyping with family every night in front of the husband, avoid it. do it in the daytime when he's working. if it has to be done while he is around there should be a limit, especially if the skyping is done in a language the husband does not speak. continuing relationships in front of him that he is left out of is disrespectful.

I'm sorry but I do agree here.. to a point. It's INCREDIBLY rude to speak another language in front of someone who doesn't understand it BUT there are rules. For instance, if he's actually sitting there supposed to be involved in the conversation but being left out of the conversation, then it's ridiculously rude and shouldn't be done. If he's sitting there just in the same room doing his own thing then there's nothing wrong with it. It's like sitting in the room and MSN'ing to someone else. he knows you're talking to someone but doesn't know what you're saying.. its the same thing.

Only the OP can really know if their relationship was truly abusive. Some people think just yelling is abusive, but there's more to it than just yelling. Respect is a 2 way street. If he's just being an #### (lack of respect wise) then I doubt it's grounds for VAWA, but if he's actually psychologically abusing you, or physically or sexually then yes of course. I'm not sure what the grounds are. All you can do is apply and see what happens.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.