Usui Takumi

U.K. introduces English test for immigrants

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

All non-European immigrants to the United Kingdom must pass a basic English language test before being granted a visa under new rules announced by the government Wednesday.

The rules will apply to anyone wanting to join their spouse or partner in the United Kingdom, and they will come into effect in autumn this year, the government said.

"I believe being able to speak English should be a prerequisite for anyone who wants to settle here," Home Secretary Theresa May said. She said the new requirement will "help promote integration, remove cultural barriers, and protect public services."

Anyone wishing to come to the United Kingdom as a partner must demonstrate a basic command of conversational English by proving they have passed the test at an approved testing center, the Home Office said.

"It is a privilege to come to the U.K., and that is why I am committed to raising the bar for migrants and ensuring that those who benefit from being in Britain contribute to our society," May said in a statement.

She said the change is just a first step, and that the government is hoping to tighten the English-language requirements even further.

"Today's announcement is one of a wide range of measures the new government is taking to ensure that immigration is properly controlled for the benefit of the U.K., alongside a limit on work visas and an effective system for regulating the students who come here," May said.

Under current rules, people applying for visas to join their partners must first meet a range of criteria, including showing that their marriage or partnership is genuine, and that they can support themselves financially.

They must first apply for a two-year settlement visa. After that, they can apply for permission to settle in Britain -- known as indefinite leave to remain, which is similar to a U.S. green card -- but they must first take a test on British culture, politics, and laws.

The new English test will be in addition to that test, the Home Office said.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/06/09/uk.english.mandatory/?hpt=Sbin

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Yay !!!

But - it doesn't keep the spouse OUT of the UK - can come in, settle down, enroll in 'UK English' classes prior to the exam.

Yay !!!!

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I'd probably fail. They would ask me something like: How was your trip to the consulate today? I'd be like "Oh it was hella fast!" Sorry sir, "hella" is not an English word we will be enrolling you in English Classes upon your arrival to the UK.

Edited by Sousuke

All non-European immigrants to the United Kingdom must pass a basic English language test before being granted a visa under new rules announced by the government Wednesday.

"I believe being able to speak English should be a prerequisite for anyone who wants to settle here," Home Secretary Theresa May said. She said the new requirement will "help promote integration, remove cultural barriers, and protect public services."

If only we could get people here to wake up to this reality. Similar measures, for similar reasons, were introduced in AUS a few years ago.

Edited by Booyah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Language is a verra 'orrible, nastie beastie. One should master it first, 'fore taking it out for walkies.

Extra points if you can find the author of this ...

Edited by Darnell

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I'd probably fail. They would ask me something like: How was your trip to the consulate today? I'd be like "Oh it was hella fast!" Sorry sir, "hella" is not an English word we will be enrolling you in English Classes upon your arrival to the UK.

:rofl:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

:blink:

No such requirement for Belarussians or Ukrainians?

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

If the prospective immigrant learned from their spouse, and their spouse lived in Wolverhampton ... they're pretty much screwed :blush:

... and Liverpool

... and Aberdeen

... and Llandudno

... and Truro, especially Truro

Because seriously, even I can understand maybe one word in four out of someone from any of these places. :(

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

I saw this on the BBC site this morning, they appear to have edited the content though.

Dr Nick Saville, from the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, said the applicants would have to prove they could understand basic notices and information.

He said: "You would be able to introduce yourself to others and ask basic level questions and write simple messages."

The original said something like needing the level of English language knowledge of a 4 - 5 year old child.

As long as there are resources available I don't think it's too much to ask, communication is really important after all. What if the British spouse is sick and the alien has to call 999?

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

... and Truro, especially Truro

Because seriously, even I can understand maybe one word in four out of someone from any of these places.

There be nothin wrong with my English I'll avee know! :lol:

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Racists. They will probably make them show ID to take the test. Betcha.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I saw this on the BBC site this morning, they appear to have edited the content though.

Dr Nick Saville, from the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, said the applicants would have to prove they could understand basic notices and information.

He said: "You would be able to introduce yourself to others and ask basic level questions and write simple messages."

The original said something like needing the level of English language knowledge of a 4 - 5 year old child.

As long as there are resources available I don't think it's too much to ask, communication is really important after all. What if the British spouse is sick and the alien has to call 999?

So, would this class as an epic fail? :unsure:

_45162744_-2.jpg

The English is clear enough to lorry drivers - but the Welsh reads "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated."

BBC Website Link

That rules out most public servants in Wales, then :rofl:

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

This is a stupid rule, IMO. They should make it a requirement once you enter the UK to be enrolled in English class. I'm just imagining the reality here. Say a Pakistani man lives in UK for ages but he married in Pakistan a poor woman. Forget English, she can't even write Urdo. How's she going to learn English to come to UK? She can't. So this perfectly fine wedding is going to break apart. Nice going UK for enacting a law that makes no sense. Why don't they just come out and say they don't immigrants anymore. I mean UK doesn't have to allow immigrants. Why go about this in a inhumane and rather dubious way?

N400 CITIZENSHIP STAGE

23-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form mailed to Dallas, TX Lockbox (USPS EXPRESS)

27-DEC-2016 -:- N400 form delivered/picked up by USCIS

01-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form fee check cashed by USCIS

04-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form received per NOA1

09-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 notice date

14-JAN-2017 -:- N400 form NOA1 on hand through USPS

30-JAN-2017 -:- N400 fingerprint taken

01-FEB-2017 -:- N400 interview schedule process started

26-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview date set (01SEP2017)

29-JUL-2017 -:- N400 interview letter on hand

01-SEP-2017 -:- N400 interview date - Interview passed

10-OCT-2017-:- N400 oath ceremony letter on hand (oath on 26OCT2017)

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline

This is a stupid rule, IMO. They should make it a requirement once you enter the UK to be enrolled in English class. I'm just imagining the reality here. Say a Pakistani man lives in UK for ages but he married in Pakistan a poor woman. Forget English, she can't even write Urdo. How's she going to learn English to come to UK? She can't. So this perfectly fine wedding is going to break apart. Nice going UK for enacting a law that makes no sense. Why don't they just come out and say they don't immigrants anymore. I mean UK doesn't have to allow immigrants. Why go about this in a inhumane and rather dubious way?

At least you acknowledge there is no right to immigrate. So what if any country wants to set the bar high for people to immigrate? It's their country. You meet the requirements or you don't immigrate. I don't see this as being inhumane. This guy can go home if he wants to marry this woman or he can pay for her to learn English over in Pakistan.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995