Susita

Dieting and Weight Loss

195 posts in this topic

That's awesome. :thumbs: Is his blood sugar normal now? Yeah, restaurant food is notoriously high in salt, fat and sugar.

Dr. Oz has a grocery list of foods we should be buying and eating on a regular basis.

His blood sugar is normal throughout the day, but his fasting blood sugar is still around 140-160 which is slightly high. I am sure his blood sugar will be normal once he loses about 10-15lbs more because all his weight is around his belly.

I've also quit smoking this week. Yep! I took it up again for a year, and now that my mega-drama is nearly complete, I feel it's time. I had one on Saturday night, before that I had one on Thursday at 11pm. Not too shabby. I'm hoping to give myself a month or so to improve my lung capacity and then get back to running, which I was really getting into before my life went tits up last year.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I've also quit smoking this week. Yep! I took it up again for a year, and now that my mega-drama is nearly complete, I feel it's time. I had one on Saturday night, before that I had one on Thursday at 11pm. Not too shabby. I'm hoping to give myself a month or so to improve my lung capacity and then get back to running, which I was really getting into before my life went tits up last year.

Way to go! :thumbs:

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I recently started Weight Watchers and for once in my life I feel really good about it. I just feel like watching and making good decisions is easier now. For instance, yesterday, we were at a hotel with a lovely breakfast buffet. I made a huge fruit plate with a scoop of cottage cheese and high fiber fruits like blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, watermelon and pineapple, and a slice of whole wheat toast. I then went back and got bacon, sausage, a biscuit with gravy and a little scrambled eggs. I wanted the bad stuff but I just had like a taste of everything so that I wouldn't "miss" it. I also like to count my points - makes me feel in control. Last week I had a slice of chocolate cake - 8 points. It was totally worth it and after I had my slice I didn't even think about touching the last piece all week long. I lost 4.5 lbs and I feel successful. :star:

Congratulations! Weight Watchers is really good. Their points system is really easy and they give you room to "cheat" a little bit which is great.

Dear Diary:

Day 1 of my weight loss plan. 2 hours in. No weight lost. Will try to be patient.

:lol:

As of this morning I'm still on a plateau, didn't lose anything last week but thanks to this thread I'm now motivated to walk to the gym and lift some weights. :)

05-02-2004 Met in Östersund, Sweden
09-07-2007 Got married in Eden Gardens State Park, Santa Rosa Beach, FL

*************************************************************************************************

AOS

11-02-2007 - Filed

03-14-2008 - Green Card received

*************************************************************************************************

Lifting of Conditions

02-08-2010 - Filed

06-21-2010 - Green Card received

N-400

06-24-2017 - N-400 package sent via EFile

06-24-2017 - Payment received via credit card

07-01-2017 - Appointment notice received

07-19-2017 - Biometrics appointment in Atlanta, GA

08-04-2017 - Case updated. Interview scheduled. 

"Whither thou goest I will go, whither thou lodgest I will lodge,
Thy people shall be my people, And thy God my God." ~ Ruth 1:16

Ooh, I'm joining this thread as well. My mother, aunt, Nik and I did a diet called "The Game" this winter, and I lost some weight, and I've since been just packing them on again - exceeding my starting weight from that!

I've noticed that things have gotten a bit worse since he got here. I do most of the cooking (So that I don't get dishes clean up!), and while I was living alone, I mostly ate the same dinner every night (I liked it!) which was low in fat and had virtually no carbs w/good veggies. Now I'm trying to mix things up a bit, and most of the rest of the things I like/know how to cook have some more fat (like "tacos" - start with a quesadilla, put sour cream on it, seasoned ground beef + a smattering of tomatoes onions & cilantro for dinner last night)

I'm a bit lucky in that I don't have a sweet tooth. I like the taste of sweets, but it's not a need. We don't keep soda or many desert or snack items in the house which helps....Unfortunately, on the occasions where we go shopping hungry and end up bringing a little extra home, and there IS something around, I just can't STOP! Something with 16 really bad for you servings is gone in 2-3 days.

The thing that worked the best for me was to keep a calorie balance notebook. I got a daily allotment of calories. Any exercise I did added to the allotment, and any food I ate or drank subtracted from it. It was good because I had to write everything down, which is frequently a good starting point - self audit. If I ate virtually nothing (oatmeal for breakfast, lean cuisine for lunch) all day, and got 60 minutes of non-lazy cardio in, I could have my all time favorite dinner - Buffalo wings W/ extra ranch (and you wonder why I need to loose weight!) The only rule was that I had to have positive calories to eat them. So, there were no rain checks for lunch, etc. The motivation for that diet which lasted several weeks was that I wanted to be looking better before being presented to Nik's mother. I fell off several times, usually when I would get a cold or something and not feel good enough to keep up the tracking, and never started again. I find that this is the easiest for me, because most of the things I like to eat appear on banned lists. :wacko:

I got a 3 pack when I bought them, so maybe I should start a new one. I wish I could find the old one, I had worked quite hard at trying to pin down the number of calories in my typical meals.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

ok let's get something straight:

All you genes/metabolism/glands people should look at pictures of the British prisoners on the Burma railway - they weighed 90 to 100 lbs and a lot of em had genes/metabolism/glands just like you

I have a few pounds to lose and I can't coz I am a disgusting, weak willed, gluttonous, beer swilling, bratwurst sucking, ice cream slurping, cooky crumbler and chip pan jockey without even the will power of a spawning salmon !

So burying the excuses must come first

ok here is a rule - if your tummy ain't rumbling loudly, you are NOT hungry. If you use that as a definition of hungry, and only eat when you are hungry, you WILL lose weight with or WITHOUT exercise.

Remember when you were a kid and your tummy rumbled ? How long is it since you heard your tummy rumble ? Nope, we never allow that to happen without cramming our alimentary canal right to the top so the peanuts are coming out of our noses !

We are disgusting and we should get a grip and just do it !

Edited by saywhat

moresheep400100.jpg

I guess I missed the part where someone was whining about their genes/glands etc. Actually, there seem to be a lot of people on here who confess to over eating/eating completely the wrong things, and want to get on track eating not only healthier food but less of it.

Thanks for the "pep talk" anyway.

K-1:

AOS:

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

ROC:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

All you genes/metabolism/glands people should look at pictures of the British prisoners on the Burma railway - they weighed 90 to 100 lbs and a lot of em had genes/metabolism/glands just like you

I have a few pounds to lose and I can't coz I am a disgusting, weak willed, gluttonous, beer swilling, bratwurst sucking, ice cream slurping, cooky crumbler and chip pan jockey without even the will power of a spawning salmon !

.......blahblahblah. I love beer too. ;)

We are disgusting and we should get a grip and just do it !

Speak for yourself, buddy! A lot of us here are doing QUITE well. I thought this was a thread to help with motivation and new ideas for those of us getting motivated or trying to get off a plateau.

Anyways, :ot2: . I am on a 2 week challenge with myself to get in 20-60 minutes of exercise a day for the next ..well, 2 weeks.. I'm hoping that two weeks is short enough for me not to get intimidated by, but the possibly - at the end of the timeframe - be making a habit of it. Anyone else that hasn't been exercising want to join on the 2 week challenge?

Edited by Jewel-8

Our VisaJourney started July 2009 when I mailed the 129-F

Fiance here February 2010, married 10 days later

GC received in the mail 10-Jun-2010

Able to apply to remove conditions 12-Feb-2012

BABY GIRL BORN JULY 2011!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I guess I missed the part where someone was whining about their genes/glands etc. Actually, there seem to be a lot of people on here who confess to over eating/eating completely the wrong things, and want to get on track eating not only healthier food but less of it.

Thanks for the "pep talk" anyway.

The glands/metabolism/genes are always with us and were only 5 posts away...

My son goes to the gym every day and pumps iron, goes on the bike etc. I have seen him have 5 meals between 4pm and midnight and he did 2 bottles of wine at the same time. He is as big as you would imagine from that. Blood pressure 210/175 - so he has got it down to 150/95 by using hi-power prescription drugs which gives him the licence to carry on as normal (he thinks).

So exercise won't do it unless one drags a sledge to the north pole which uses 9 thousand calories per day (3lbs of fat)

We people have habits bordering on the obscene and we are the epitome of sloth (Rab Nesbitt)

moresheep400100.jpg

LOL, has Julian somehow gotten ahold of Alan's account and channeled his douchiness? :lol:

I miss Julian. :( He's gone all soft these past few days in the UK forum.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Remember when you were a kid and your tummy rumbled ? How long is it since you heard your tummy rumble ? Nope, we never allow that to happen without cramming our alimentary canal right to the top so the peanuts are coming out of our noses !

I do remember times when I've been so caught up in doing other things that food was actually the last thing on my mind.

Anyone else that hasn't been exercising want to join on the 2 week challenge?

I participated in bike month in April to ride my bike many (but not all) days into work, but took too many days off in May, and now it's 110 degrees outside, and I wimped out this morning.

I DID go to the air conditioned gym this morning before work today, so I'll join you on the two week challenge. Are there any specific requirements? I like doing stuff on the stationary machines because I can read a book and make the time go faster. Harder to do that if there's strength training involved. ;)

K-1:

AOS:

ROC: