Susita

Dieting and Weight Loss

195 posts in this topic

I'm going to have to get some watermelon, so far this week 1.1 lbs, Not bad for what I ate too.

Someone mentioned food sensitivities I have quite a few of them, do you really think it helps to cut them out. I mean I have alot of food that Ive been told I'm allergic too but I still eat them. There's not much left for me too eat if I cut them all out.

I cut out everything that could potentially trigger a reaction (nuts, dairy except for yogurt, wheat, shellfish, red wine, soy, chocolate, garlic and onions, and in my case my known severe sensitivity to fresh tomatoes) for a week. I slowly added things back. If I felt unwell or bloaty after eating something, I cut it out again. I now have eliminated all fresh tomatoes, wheat as much as I can avoid it (I had some bread today and now I regret it) and milk unless it's a small amount in my coffee or tea. No more lattes. :(

Do an experiment and see if things are better if you reduce the stuff you're sensitive to. I am definitely less bloaty and feel MUCH better since I did it, and I've lost 4 pounds.star_smile.gif

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Beta Carotene is suspected to increase the risk for lung cancer.

http://www.iupac.org...f/7408x1461.pdf

Beta carotene supplements? I think there is more and more evidence that all these things, vitamins, minerals etc are much more useful to the body when they come in their natural forms, ie eat the fruit and veg, do not pop a pill. Watermelon is good - a great idea is to cut it up into cubes when you buy it and pop it in the fridge that way it's ready to eat anytime. It has been proved that cutting fruit and storing in the fridge does not significantly reduce the vitamin content, the most significant factor is whether or not it has been ripened on the vine. The longer it is naturally ripened, the more of the healthy stuff it contains - look for fruit with an obvious lighter patch where it was resting on the ground which proves it was vine ripened.

Thanks for the drink recipe Marylin, that sounds very refreshing for a hot day :)

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

I was wondering what you guys drink to help you through an earthquake?

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."- Ayn Rand

“Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you.”

― Andrew Wilkow

Filed: Timeline

Beta carotene supplements? I think there is more and more evidence that all these things, vitamins, minerals etc are much more useful to the body when they come in their natural forms, ie eat the fruit and veg, do not pop a pill. Watermelon is good - a great idea is to cut it up into cubes when you buy it and pop it in the fridge that way it's ready to eat anytime. It has been proved that cutting fruit and storing in the fridge does not significantly reduce the vitamin content, the most significant factor is whether or not it has been ripened on the vine. The longer it is naturally ripened, the more of the healthy stuff it contains - look for fruit with an obvious lighter patch where it was resting on the ground which proves it was vine ripened.

Thanks for the drink recipe Marylin, that sounds very refreshing for a hot day :)

Whether it's vitamins, or illicit drugs, physicians have come up with the term, "self-medication." There has always been a warning about Vitamin A, and it's toxicity in large doses, as well as a few other "substances" that folks think are safer for them than cigarettes, alcohol, and prescription drugs, but it can all be bad when abused and many of those "safer" things also cause cancer, heart disease, and other problems.

Doctors say you should be able to get the minimum RDA if you eat a "well-balanced" diet. But, when you are dieting, you usually are cutting out, or restricting, at least one food group, and really do have to supplement a bit. For instance, if you are cutting out breads, rice, pasta, all the "whites", then you need to find another source of Vitamin B. If you are cutting out all the fats, then you are losing some other good things, like fatty acids, that your body really likes. (This is one reason why you should consult your physician before starting a new exercise routine, or diet, and for us over forty types, it is even more important.)

Like you said, whole foods are probably a safer way to get the nutrients your body needs, but some of us that are dieting somehow must have gotten a little more than our bodies need from somewhere.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah it is really yummy...

they make that drink with different kinds of fruit, like strawberries..

Strawberry Agua Fresca Recipe

Spanish for "fresh water", agua fresca is a refreshing, fruit-infused drink that is served throughout Mexico. Depending on the ripeness of the berries, adjust the amount of sugar for desired sweetness. Frozen strawberries would be fine in this. I like this with 2-3 times the water or seltzer water for a thinner drink. I also increase the sugar.

SERVES 8

* 4 cups water

* 1/3 cup sugar, more to taste

* 6 cups strawberries, hulled

* 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)

1. Combine water and sugar, stirring until sugar dissolves.

2. Place strawberries in a blender, and process until smooth.

3. Combine the sugar mixture, strawberry puree, and juice; stir well.

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Strawberry-Agua-Fresca-219814

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Did you Socal folks just shake a bit? We did...

I try not to do anything that cuts out any food group, even when attempting weight loss but there are things you can safely reduce, we do not need refined sugars for example, but yes, if you are older and plan to make some drastic changes, consult a dr.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Just wondering how everyone is coming along with their diet.

I screwed up over the weekend at a BBQ :lol: But I think I made up for it by being REALLY REALLY good on Sunday & Monday ;) I couldn't resist the BBQ ribs and potato salad :blush:

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...