Obama 2012

The Military Is About To Get More FABULOUS!!!

146 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Speak for yourself! Most people dont really care what goes on in someone else's bedroom.

I find it interesting how you like the big-bad-government staying out of people's business, unless it is about something that you dont like.

I agree. Most don't. There are some people who are not comfortable with it, but that is mostly because of laws like don't ask, don't tell which make the subject taboo in the first place.

I have respect for anyone who has the honor to fight for this country, and I don't give a damn who they go to bed with!

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Filed: Timeline

One thing I will say, is if someone is going to be "openly" gay in the military, then there needs to be seperate showers/bunks, etc.. as you know a lot of people won't feel comfortable sharing quarters with someone who they might 'feel' who'd be watching them.... the same reason men and women are separate.

if they're openly gay you could avoid them in the shower, if you're worried about them checking you out. with don't ask don't tell you don't know & they can still be checking you out....which creeps you out more?

7yqZWFL.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

If someone is openly gay and you have communcal showers, there's going to be people uncomfortable. If there's someone sleeping in the same room as you, some will be uncomfortable.

It's the same exact reason why men and women don't share bunks together/share the same facilities.

There are still a lot of people out there who are very uncomfortable around those of that sexuality.

A lot of things make people uncomfortable.

Personally, I'd feel more comfortable sharing a room or a shower with a gay woman than with a gay or straight man.

And if you're uncomfortable with the presence of a homosexual in your living quarters, why wouldn't you be even more uncomfortable knowing that there probably is one but you don't know who it is?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree. Most don't. There are some people who are not comfortable with it, but that is mostly because of laws like don't ask, don't tell which make the subject taboo in the first place.

I have respect for anyone who has the honor to fight for this country, and I don't give a damn who they go to bed with!

Again, it's not about YOU. It's about those who have to serve with them and by their side. While a good majority don't care, there's still a lot of people who do care.

Laws like Don't Ask, Don't Tell don't have anything to do with how people feel about it. As I said, women and men are separate for good reason. They don't allow enlisted women to serve on subs for good reason.. it all falls into the same catagory.

Stop thinking about how YOU feel and think about the overall situation of how others might feel in a 24/7 environment who aren't comfortable with it...

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

if you read other posts above, I explain this.

If someone is openly gay and you have communcal showers, there's going to be people uncomfortable. If there's someone sleeping in the same room as you, some will be uncomfortable.

It's the same exact reason why men and women don't share bunks together/share the same facilities.

There are still a lot of people out there who are very uncomfortable around those of that sexuality.

You have to look at how much time many spend their time with each other. It's 24/7 it a lot of cases.

This isn't just going to work and coming home for the evening like your regular 9-5 where people don't know much about you.

I work in deepwater oil rigs from time to time. So I do know a thing or two about closed quarters, showering together, and seeing people 24/7. And I do have to take an extra set of undies because they occasionally get stolen. But like most people, I do not let stuff like that rattle me. I can not control someone's sexuality and I am not going to go to my boss and ask him to kick out all hot-blooded hetrosexual men from the rig. Like Susita said, it is people who are uncomfortable with sexuality to begin with are the ones that make it a taboo.

Timeline

A lot of things make people uncomfortable.

Personally, I'd feel more comfortable sharing a room or a shower with a gay woman than with a gay or straight man.

And if you're uncomfortable with the presence of a homosexual in your living quarters, why wouldn't you be even more uncomfortable knowing that there probably is one but you don't know who it is?

It's that age old saying, "what you don't know can't hurt you"

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Timeline

I work in deepwater oil rigs from time to time. So I do know a thing or two about closed quarters, showering together, and seeing people 24/7. And I do have to take an extra set of undies because they occasionally get stolen. But like most people, I do not let stuff like that rattle me. I can not control someone's sexuality and I am not going to go to my boss and ask him to kick out all hot-blooded hetrosexual men from the rig. Like Susita said, it is people who are uncomfortable with sexuality to begin with are the ones that make it a taboo.

That's the exact pont though, is there ARE people who are quite uncomfortable, there are people who even have a hatred for that lifestyle. Especially when you look at the fact that a lot of service members are quite religious as well, you know there's issues of comfort there.

This is the military. Keeping things stable, soldiers as comfortable as possible, keeping morale as high as possible, etc. are very important to their lives and the security of the areas in which they are serving.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

if you read other posts above, I explain this.

You have to look at how much time many spend their time with each other. It's 24/7 it a lot of cases.

This isn't just going to work and coming home for the evening like your regular 9-5 where people don't know much about you.

To use your own words:

"Your sexual preference should NEVER come up on the job."

"You are here to fight for this country and do your JOB."

This applies to those that are feeling "uncomfortable" as well, its just another brother in arms, do your job, serve with them, who cares about the rest. Its not like "dont ask dont tell" being repealed is going to mean Marines wearing pink fatigues and artillery commanders carrying purses that match their military issue evening dresses. Gays currently serving arent going to yell from the rooftops that they are such, its likely to still remain as low key as ever.

Most of the military I know dont spend 24/7 together, even on deployment.

Most DO just work their shift, then go home to their families unless deployed, even then, they get a lot of time to go do their own things.

That's the exact pont though, is there ARE people who are quite uncomfortable, there are people who even have a hatred for that lifestyle. Especially when you look at the fact that a lot of service members are quite religious as well, you know there's issues of comfort there.

This is the military. Keeping things stable, soldiers as comfortable as possible, keeping morale as high as possible, etc. are very important to their lives and the security of the areas in which they are serving.

And here is the point that I am trying to make.. You can NOT marginalize a group of people just because a few people are uncomfortable with it. It is exactly that kind of thought pattern that strips away civil liberties.

And I am surprised for someone who advocates freedom, you look ready enough to give it up just because something makes you uncomfortable. The more I read your posts, you sound more like a closet-republican rather than a libertarian.

Timeline

And here is the point that I am trying to make.. You can NOT marginalize a group of people just because a few people are uncomfortable with it. It is exactly that kind of thought pattern that strips away civil liberties.

And I am surprised for someone who advocates freedom, you look ready enough to give it up just because something makes you uncomfortable. The more I read your posts, you sound more like a closet-republican rather than a libertarian.

The military does not get the same civil liberties as your average citizen does when they are on active duty. They never have, and they never will.

Most of your "rights" get tossed out the window once you sign your contract. Any privacy you have, any personal time you have, anything you do, are owned by the US Government.

This is not your average job.

nfrsig.jpg

8/14/2010 - Touched!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Especially when you look at the fact that a lot of service members are quite religious as well, you know there's issues of comfort there.

####### is this nonsense?

You would probably just shoot them, too.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

The military does not get the same civil liberties as your average citizen does when they are on active duty. They never have, and they never will.

Most of your "rights" get tossed out the window once you sign your contract. Any privacy you have, any personal time you have, anything you do, are owned by the US Government.

This is not your average job.

Most of us gets our rights stripped away from employers in one way or the other. But you can not and should not be discriminated against something you have no control over like race, age, sex, and sexual preference, especially by the US Government.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

ok, i have to call bs on that one. since when does a ballerina find work on a deepwater oil rig?

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

I don't get the problem with repealing this. There will still be an unofficial don't ask, don't tell - the information will not be asked for, and it is doubtful it will be volunteered overly much. The important thing is, when a military person is found out to be gay or straight, they can no longer be removed from duty. That's a basic right, is it not? Employment without discrimination?

I dance around for the roughnecks and tool pushers :dance: It is Swan Lake on today roster.

Did you have anything to do with a certain oil spill we are all hearing about? unsure.gif Maybe your Swan Lake was too good...

Post on Adjudicators's Field Manual re: AOS and Intent: My link
Wedding Date: 06/14/2009
POE at Pearson Airport - for a visit, did not intend to stay - 10/09/2009
Found VisaJourney and created an account - 10/19/2009

I-130 (approved as part of the CR-1 process):
Sent 10/01/2009
NOA1 10/07/2009
NOA2 02/10/2010

AOS:
NOA 05/14/2010
Interview - approved! 07/29/10 need to send in completed I-693 (doctor missed answering a couple of questions) - sent back same day
Green card received 08/20/10

ROC:
Sent 06/01/2012
Approved 02/27/2013

Green card received 05/08/2013