40 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Barbados
Timeline

I'm sorry you had to go through this.

Let me ask you something.... you said your wife is not close to her mom and all that. Do you think it's possible that her mom was against the marriage and made a 'fraud claim' at the USCIS office? I don't mean to judge her or anything, it just seems weird that they were focused on her mom even though her grandma was the one who raised her....

Thats a intertestin question. lol

But when we got out we called her mom and she said she will do wat ever she has to do for us so I dont think so...i guess shes trying to get back on my wifes good side. Surprisingly her grandmother is one who is a little grumpy about doing the affidavit even tho she has way more knowledge of our relationship than her mom. Lol, this whole thing is just a mess. I cant wait for it to be over.

Came to the U.S on a F1 visa January 2008

Got engaged to my USC girlfriend Dec 2008

DEC 29th 2009 Married

JAN 27th 2010 Medical completed Jan 27th

FEB 17th 2010 AOS + I-130 package sent

FEB 25th Got emails with all receipt # ( but not able to check on USCIS site)

FEB 28th Online status check available

MAR 1st Received Hard Copy of NOA's in the mail

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAR 9th Biometrics complete via walk-in (All docs touched on USCIS site)

MAR 26th Received interview appointment (For May 6th)

APR 23rd Touched on I-130 and I-485

APR 26th Touched on all docs, EAD card production ordered

MAY 1st Advance patrol in mail

MAY 6th Interview (Request for additional information)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

June 28th Notice of approval on USCIS website

July 3th GREEN CARD INT HE MAIL!!!

Timeline

And to those saying it had nothing to do with race please keep your thoughts to yourself, u were not their with us so u dont know. U dont know what was going on inthe interviewer head. And I heard that they look at difference in backgrounds, race and cultures as redflag.

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAR 8th Received Biometrics appointment in mail: for Mar 18th (however no updates on site or email notifications)

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Timeline

Hi luckygoat! Sorry to hear you have to go through this additional hassle. I didn't send in any affidavits at all and am now wondering if I should start asking people!

Um, by the way, you wouldn't happen to be drinking at the moment, would you? Just noticed your last post has a few more typos this time :P

lmfao lol :) I needed that. No I havent started drinking my life away just as yet.

If u dont have any affidavits dont worry about getting now. They are not required, and no interviewer ask for them. I am probably the first filer in history who got a request for them when I had 1000's of other things he could go off.

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thats a intertestin question. lol

But when we got out we called her mom and she said she will do wat ever she has to do for us so I dont think so...i guess shes trying to get back on my wifes good side. Surprisingly her grandmother is one who is a little grumpy about doing the affidavit even tho she has way more knowledge of our relationship than her mom. Lol, this whole thing is just a mess. I cant wait for it to be over.

Hm.... I guess we'll never know what made the IO be so picky at the mom's part.

Good thing he didn't deny you guys! So just give them what they want and hopefully everything will be alright.

Good luck =)

CR-1 Journey - California Service Center

I-130 timeline:
I-130 NOA1 - 05th Nov, 2009
I-130 NOA2 - 10th February, 2010 Yay!!!!
"Your I-130 was approved in 97 days from your NOA1 date."

NVC Journey:
02-16-2010: NVC Case # Assigned
03-31-2010: Case Complete!!
04-12-2010: Interview date assigned by NVC.
05-11-2010: Medical appointment in Rio

05-13-2010: Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!

06-02-2010: POE in Washington DC - Finally home!

July 30, 2010 - Received the Green Card after receiving 4 welcome letters! USCIS see ya later!

2 YEARS LATER......

03-02-2012: Elegible to lift conditions
06-02-2012: Temporary GC expires

12-20-2012: Permanent GC received

6 MONTHS LATER......

06/03/2013: n400 Filled

10/22/2013: Citizenship test and oath ceremony

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Did they ask you any question specifically that had anything to do with race? For example, "how do your parents feel about the fact that you entered into an inter-racial marriage?"

I'm curious, how did you gather that they were solely targetting you for your race? Surely, you have no idea what was going through the IO's mind either. You gave us your synopsis, I saw nothing race-related in it. I merely commented on what you disclosed to us.

And don't tell me to keep my thoughts to myself. It's an open, public forum. You posted your experience at the AOS interview and your thoughts. I gave my opinions. If you cannot listen to opinions other than yourself or only want those who will agree with you, then you should consider not posting in open forums.

Edited by sachinky

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

There is no other reason why we would have a redflag because I never overstayed, I never worked illegally, im not from a high migration country. I still had a long time left on my student visa so its not like I there was anything to trigger him. Im black and my wife a white so I guess that automatically just made us a target, he couldnt find anything so decided focus on phone numbers which I will never understand.

IMO, was a bit 'more' because is AOS FROM a student visa holder.

Thanks for the repsonse. There are 2 boxes ticked.

1. One says that I need 3 people to make statments confirming our relationship and the statements has to be notarized.

2. It says that I need affidavits from my wife mom and grandmother and they have to be notarized.

He said that the box says 3 but we only need 2. We will still send in 3 because it this point i really believe he is just looking for a reason to deny us. Her mom, grandmom and brother said they will write one.

My question is, should we have 5 in total or just that 2 of 3 has to be mom and grandmom? I am confused what he is asking for.

I say 5. First section, NOT the mom and grandmother.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

lmfao lol :) I needed that. No I havent started drinking my life away just as yet.

If u dont have any affidavits dont worry about getting now. They are not required, and no interviewer ask for them. I am probably the first filer in history who got a request for them when I had 1000's of other things he could go off.

Affidavits are listed on the I-130 as additional proof of the marital relationship....so I wouldn't say they're not required. As per the instructions one is instructed to submit one or more of the items from the list, which includes proof of joint finances, co-ownership of property etc. What you choose to submit from this additional list is up to each individual but you are 'required' to submit additional evidence. No, you're not the first filer in history who has been asked to submit affidavit letters, nor will you be the last. I'm sure you had a multitude of evidence...but it seems in this case the IO wants letters from family attesting to your marital relationship.

It sounds like you have those lined up. Submit them, and you should be fine. Good luck.

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Timeline

Did they ask you any question specifically that had anything to do with race? For example, "how do your parents feel about the fact that you entered into an inter-racial marriage?"

I'm curious, how did you gather that they were solely targetting you for your race? Surely, you have no idea what was going through the IO's mind either. You gave us your synopsis, I saw nothing race-related in it. I merely commented on what you disclosed to us.

And don't tell me to keep my thoughts to myself. It's an open, public forum. You posted your experience at the AOS interview and your thoughts. I gave my opinions. If you cannot listen to opinions other than yourself or only want those who will agree with you, then you should consider not posting in open forums.

Like I said, u wasnt there and u wad have to be there to feel the way we felt. Its almost as if he had his mind made up against our relationship before we even got there and the only thing that could have influence that was him seeing our photos on the application. Through out the whole interview he kept sayin everything looks good, and flippin through to find fault. If everything looked so good then why try find something to deny us? We were pre-judged before we even got there. And who knows, maybe it is apart of their criteria to look into couple with different backgrounds. I just know had we been the same race, considering all of the evidence and other things we brought, we would have left there approved. And again I feel very bad sayin this because don't like when people blaim everything race.

DEC 29th 2009 Married

MAY 6th EAD in mail

June 1st (RFE mailed in)

It seems that these affidavits are really important to immigration officers for some reason. A friend of mine, who has a kid with her USC husband and was pregnant with the second kid at the time of her interview, got an RFE for affidavits, even though she had sent everything else imaginable, including the birth certificate of their child and pictures of him, showing he looks like a mini-copy of his USC daddy.

I am curious if most people bring affidavits to the interview. Has anyone been approved without submitting any recently?

10/07/2007 Entered the US on J-1 visa

11/03/2008 Changed status to F-1

02/14/2010 Married

03/15/2010 Filed AOS (from F-1)

05/27/2010 AOS approved, GC Issued

02/28/2012 Mailed I-751 (Removal of Conditions)

03/01/2012 I-751 received by CSC/NOA Issued

03/15/2012 Biometrics letter sent

04/12/2012 Biometrics appointment per letter

05/27/2012 GC expires

It's weird because I had the same experience with the "bad actor" CO and her asking silly questions they obviously know the answeres to. I think they try to see if we slip up and are lying or something. I didn't understand what the bad acting and silly questions were about either lol Must be something they are trained to do...for what reason I dunno!

I had no affidavits from family...thought about it and then decided against the hassle (translations and such)and they didn't ask. I think certain consulates want them more than others.

Edited by ErikaAndHamit
389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm sorry to hear about your interview experience. I don't know why the IO acted the way he did, but I have been "warned" that our case will be looked into more since we are also an interracial couple. There is at least a rumor that your case will raise a red flag when one person is white and the other person is black (I'm mixed). I will just have to wait and see if the same thing happens in our case.

Good luck on the follow up! Hope you get your approval soon!

02-01-2010 - We got married
08-30-2010 - Green card arrived!!!
08-04-2012 - I-751 Package sent
08-06-2012 - I-751 Package delivered (signed for at 12:54)
08-07-2012 - NOA1 (receipt date)
08-09-2012 - Check cashed
08-17-2012 - Biometrics NOA date
08-17-2012 - Green Card Expired
09-07-2012 - Biometrics appointment
03-28-2013 - GC Approval!!
04-04-2013 - 10yr GC arrived!!

02-08-2014 - Sent N-400

02-18-2014 - N-400 Delivered after USPS sent it to the wrong zip code

02-21-2014 - Check cashed

02-18-2014 - Priority date

02-20-2014 - NOA date

03-25-2014 - Biometrics appointment

03-27-2014 - Interview letter sent

05-01-2014 - Interview date - Approved!

05-22-2014 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Sorry to hear that! Whatever is going on with your wife and mom´s relationship, I don´t see why it has to be an issue for your happiness and staying here with the love of your life. A friend of mine, who met her husband through internet, came on a visa tourist and married the same day she arrived. They had a hard time, first because her husband's relatives did not wanted to support them with the affidavit. They helped them with the wedding small reception. So what my friend and her husband did, a friend from their church helped them with the affidavit. It was a joint affidavit, between her husband and the friend.

When we send our documents, 485 (I was with J1 visa), we sent also the 130, and the affidavit of support, that was signed by my husband and his parents.

I have a cousin, who is now a US Citizen, and works with the international students department of the college he works for, and he has seen this cases a lot. He told me, if the parents of my husband would not agree to do the affidavit, other friends were allowed to do that.

When I had my interview, everything was fine, just I still needed to submit the 601 waiver. So, that held the process. The officer asked to submit letters from friends that knew me since I was even a baby or the have known my parents (well, she wanted me to prove I have never taken vaccines..etc). She told me 3 letters was fine... but I sent more, 7.

I remember she asked us the same questions you were asked. The officer asked my husband if he has been able to meet my mother, he answered: I would really would like to have had that privilege, but she passed away in car accident in December, 19, 2000. I knew right then she was asking a tricky question.

Well, I hope your process will work out. Give them they ask for, if they want to see you are living a real relationship, so move the world to show that its true! Good luck!

And to those saying it had nothing to do with race please keep your thoughts to yourself, u were not their with us so u dont know. U dont know what was going on inthe interviewer head. And I heard that they look at difference in backgrounds, race and cultures as redflag.

Actually, if you post on an open forum, people will give you their thoughts, as you did.

Also - you can apply the bolded to yourself, you don't know what was in his head, so you are making an assumption.

Reading through your story, it seems it was going ok, till the question about the mother's phone number. Since you are attempting to AOS from a students visa, it could be your doing it just for immigration purposes, not because of the marriage, and if the sponsors parent doesn't know about it (the marriage), it could be seen as a red flag. Not knowing the number could be construed as "hiding" the fact. I don't know what was said, or how you two responded, so moving on...

Here are some of the things they look at when determine if the marriage is a sham (21.3 Petition for a Spouse. in the AFM):

· Large disparity of age;

· Inability of petitioner and beneficiary to speak each other's language;

· Vast difference in cultural and ethnic background;

· Family and/or friends unaware of the marriage;

· Marriage arranged by a third party;

· Marriage contracted immediately following the beneficiary's apprehension or receipt of notification to depart the United States;

· Discrepancies in statements on questions for which a husband and wife should have common knowledge;

· No cohabitation since marriage;

· Beneficiary is a friend of the family;

· Petitioner has filed previous petitions in behalf of aliens, especially prior alien spouses.

Race? not very likely, with the amount of cases going through, plenty of them with people of different skin colors, with successful outcomes, that would indicate they have no issues with "race".

The type of questions you were asked are made to see if you have the correct answers, they are looking for "fraud". He is not trying to confuse you - he is trying to see if your lying, ie. Fraud.

The burden of proof always falls on you, as the petitioner, USCIS does not have to prove anything.

They (USCIS) has a set of rules they have to follow when they adjudicate a case. If they deny a case, they have to give a detailed reasoning why they did so, which is checked by a few people there. If they have a case for fraud, then they have a case, they are not going to deny you because your wife is "white" and your "black".

However, to answer your questions:

1. No - you can't be denied if your in-laws do not want to get involved. You can get other friends, or other relatives (not the immediate ones) to make these affidavits. Since your wife has a history with her mother as you indicated, get the grandmother to make one, (as requested - and as Vanessa said, she can explain the relationship between both parties) and someone else to make one (like the friend that introduced you). Since he specifically asked for them to be notarized, do so.

Ensure that each affidavit is unique and factual, boilerplate ones indicate deception.

2. Tons of documents really don't show if the relationship is "true" or if the marriage is bona fide. They just build a case - the AO makes the decision based on a lot of variables.

3. USCIS is allowed to ask for any evidence they deem needed for you to prove your case. YES - USCIS can ask for family or friends to supply affidavits - as pointed out in the AFM above (bolded), it is one of the "fraud" indicators because of the lack of. In your case, he specifically asked for family affidavits.

So I would stop worrying about race and just get the evidence (affidavits) that they asked for and go from there. If you feel you were treated in a poor manner, then file a complaint with USCIS.

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Barbados
Timeline

Luckygoat,

As soon as you get that information back in to the IO. You should go celebrate with your wife bajan style, have some rum and coke and some Macedonia pie!

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Charlotte NC

Date Filed : 2010-01-08

NOA Date : 2010-01-12

RFE(s) : 26/01/10 (received in mail on 4th Feb 2010)

Bio. Appt. : 04/02/10 (Notice date 01/14/10 received in the mail 01/28/10)

RFE reply sent: 11/02/10 (USCIS confirmed receipt 16/02/10)

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2010/04/13

Approval date: 2010/04/13

Got I551 Stamp : no (Was given an approval letter)

Greencard Received:2010/04/22

Comments :Must file for ROC 2012/01/13

Employment Authorization Document

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : 2010-01-08

NOA Date : 2010-01-12

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 02/04/10

Approved Date : 03/09/10

Date Card Received :03/17/09

Advance Parole

CIS Office : Chicago IL

Filing Method : Mail

Filing Instance : First

Date Filed : Jan. 8, 2010

NOA Date : Jan. 12, 2010

RFE(s) :

Date Approved: 03/09/10

Date Received :03/15/10

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Belarus
Timeline

I think you have nothing to worry about. Even if you won't be able to get affidavits IO won't deny. Just explain everything.

P.S. I hate when people play "black card". Stop divide people by color. May be you had bad haircut or uncut nails!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.