Azura

k1 visa, where can he fly?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My fiancee booked a plane ticket to come here and marry me on a K1 visa today. His flight itinerary had him flying from morocco to madrid to barcelona to chicago. They called him back a couple hours later and said that they had canceled his ticket because the visa allows him to travel to America, and he's making 2 stops in spain.

Now we're baffled. Does his plane ticket have to be directly to new york, then chicago? Can he make a layover in another country? The cheapest tickets have at least 1 layover in another country. Anyone have experience with this?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee booked a plane ticket to come here and marry me on a K1 visa today. His flight itinerary had him flying from morocco to madrid to barcelona to chicago. They called him back a couple hours later and said that they had canceled his ticket because the visa allows him to travel to America, and he's making 2 stops in spain.

Now we're baffled. Does his plane ticket have to be directly to new york, then chicago? Can he make a layover in another country? The cheapest tickets have at least 1 layover in another country. Anyone have experience with this?

The problem is the two stops in Spain... The Madrid to Barcelona would most likely be a domestic flight, and he does not have a visa to enter. The same would be true if you booked a double stop inside the Schengen travel area (which BTW, Spain is)...

A single stop anywhere as long as he does not have to leave the international arrival area and does not need a transit visa, would be OK

Edited by payxibka

YMMV

His POE in the US can be at any international terminal. Maybe try broadening your search and not limiting yourself to a particular POE in the US.

6/15/2009 Filed I-129F

12/15/2009 Interview (HCMC, VN)

1/16/2010 POE Detroit

3/31/2010 MARRIED !!!

11/20/2010 Filed I-485

12/23/2010 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

12/31/2010 I-485 Transfered to CSC

2/4/2011 Green Card received

1/7/2013 Mailed I-751 package

1/14/2013 I-751 NOA (VSC)

2/07/2013 Biometrics (Buffalo, NY)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi there,

Your fiance can stop in any country as long as he is just "passing through". In other words, he has to book one direct flight that will make up of 1 or more layovers. You will not be able to book separate flights or ones that are domestic.

I booked an Air France flight for my fiance which had him fly from Casablanca to Paris and from Paris to Los Angeles. I booked it as one ticket and not separately.

I hope this helps!

Zatoona

moroccantea.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

My advice is to use Royal Air Maroc and fly directly from Casa to Ny. Then you can choose another airline (I like JetBlue) to go from Ny to your city. This is the least hassle and it is also cheaper in most cases than even the discount airlines if u book yourself. It is what I do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

We did purchase the ticket as 1 flight with 2 layovers. It wasn't done separately. I guess the problem is the 2 layovers.

For the person suggesting to buy the ticket from royal air maroc and to buy a second ticket, thats almost always more expensive. A ticket to new york from casa on royal air maroc costs about 800 right now. We can get a ticket from casa, to rome, to chicago for 689$ and it gets us to his final destination.

My fiancee will go back to the travel agency tomorrow and get a clearer answer.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband didn't fly directly in. He stopped in Frankfurt Germany. It's not a problem as long as you're only passing through as someone else stated.

0nboVVg.jpg0nbom6.png

moAOm6.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

If a direct ticket is too expensive, look into transit visas for whichever country he'd stop over. Many European countries give transit visas (valid 24 or 48 hours) easily for US visa holders with a connecting flight.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

We did purchase the ticket as 1 flight with 2 layovers. It wasn't done separately. I guess the problem is the 2 layovers.

For the person suggesting to buy the ticket from royal air maroc and to buy a second ticket, thats almost always more expensive. A ticket to new york from casa on royal air maroc costs about 800 right now. We can get a ticket from casa, to rome, to chicago for 689$ and it gets us to his final destination.

My fiancee will go back to the travel agency tomorrow and get a clearer answer.

Normally that is true and I would agree however the last couple of weeks that has been different. I've been looking for flights to Casablanca and the ones that are booked together going from Phoenix to JFK and then JFK to Casablanca are around $2200 right now (and going up)...YIKES! But I looked for them separately and chose the exact same flights with the exact same airlines and the same flight numbers at the same time (Delta to JFK and Royal Air Maroc to Casa)and it was over $500 cheaper. I've never seen it like this so my advice would be to check both ways and see which one is less expensive from your particular destination. Also, I want to know where you saw the NY to Casa on Royal Air Maroc for $800 because I just priced it today for $1375 and would love to save another $575!

6/27/2009 Married

10/20/2009 I-130 sent

10/28/2009 NOA1

2/8/2010 NOA2

2/12/2010 NVC received and case number assigned

2/19/2010 Gave NVC email addresses

2/19/2010 AOS/DS3032 generated (not related to giving the emails)

2/21/2010 Emailed DS3032

2/22/2010 Received DS3032 and AOS bill via email

2/23/2010 Paid AOS bill

2/25/2010 AOS bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

3/2/2010 Received IV bill

4/9/2010 Paid IV bill

4/12/2010 IV bill shows Paid and coversheet printed

4/13/2010 Mailed IV packet

4/15/2010 IV packet received and signed for

4/16/2010 AOS packet mailed

4/19/2010 AOS packet received and signed for

4/20/2010 AVR changed and states biographic documents received on 4/17/2010

4/24/2010 AVR notes AOS entered into system on 4/23/2010

4/28/2010 Sign-in fail and NVC operator confirms case complete

5/01/2010 Interview assigned!

6/16/2010 Medical Exam

6/29/2010 Interview Approved!

7/7/2010 Visa in hand!

7/22/2010 POE

ROC

5/15/2012 Mailed in I-751

5/16/2012 Received

6/5/2012 Check cashed

6/6/2012 NOA1 received

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Those 2 layovers in Spain would require a transit visa since he'd be flying domestically.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Timeline

[For the person suggesting to buy the ticket from royal air maroc and to buy a second ticket, thats almost always more expensive. A ticket to new york from casa on royal air maroc costs about 800 right now. We can get a ticket from casa, to rome, to chicago for 689$ and it gets us to his final destination. ]

I just bought my ticket on Tuesday. I had searched expedia, cheaptickets, priceline...most of the online sites. Finally, I got my Ny to Casa roundtrip for $1081 Royal Air Maroc and Jet Blue to Ny round trip for $178. It really was the cheapest I could find right now. It seems the last few weeks they are just going up, up, up.

Edited by i luv my fiance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Even though you have gotten your ticket already I have found that Kayak and vayama slightly better pricing tools for tickets than the normal ones like expedia. It seems the normal ones are focused on the US. But yes there is an increase recently. It is getting into summer travel season and the prices will stay high until fall.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

www.flycheapabroad.com

January 16, 2013 - I-129F Petition Sent USPS
January 22, 2013 - Petition Delivery Confirmed
January 25, 2013 - NOA1 Email and Text Confirmation
January 30, 2013 - "Touched" Alien Number Generated
January 31, 2013 - NOA1 Letter Received via "snail mail"
June 21, 2013 - Transferred from Vermont

July 6, 2013 - Actual Approval but error did not generate our NOA2

July 17, 2013 - Service Request via USCIS (6 months)

July 22, 2013 - Approval affirmed via USCIS.gov new NOA2 generated

August 2013 - NVC Case # Generated

August 28, 2013 - Packet 3 received from Cairo Embassy

September 2013 - Medical Complete

October 22, 2013 - Packet returned complete to Embassy via DHL

February 2014 - Interview letter received

March 24, 2014- Interview - EGYPT

April 4 & 7, 2014 - Case Touched Twice - Requested Expedite due to Beneficiary's Mothers Passing (4/1/14)

April 7, 2014 - Passport sent to Embassy via DHL

April 14, 2014 - VISA Received

April 18, 2014 - Flight to USA

July 11, 2014 - MARRIED!!!!

August ,2015 - AOS finally filed ;-)

August ,2015 - RFE

September 2015 - Returned RFE information

November ,2015 - EAD Approved

November ,2015 - EAD Received

December ,2015- AOS Approved

December ,2015- 2 year Green Card Received

November 13, 2016 my little brother passed away :-(

December ,2017 Lift conditions InshaAllah

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The problem is indeed the internal domestic flight between cities in Spain. We flew from Kiev to Warsaw to Chicago. We never left the international section of the airport in Warsaw. One stop in Spain would have been OK for your fiance.

I-129F Sent : 2010-01-16
Visa Approved!!: 2010-04-20
Visa Received: 2010-04-28
POE Chicago: 2010-05-01
Married: 2010-06-30
AOS filed: 2011-01-25
AOS Approved: 2011-03-25

ROC Approved 06-2013

Citizen 09-14

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.