Ramsis

K3 vs CR1/IR1

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I want to bring my wife to the US...and i was going to go with the K3 since i read in the guide that it is faster than the CR1.

but then people here said that K3 visa is not longer available and that a CR1/IR1 is the same speed now.

What should i do?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

File for the CR-1. The K-3 has been declared dead as of Feb 1, 2010.

Good luck!

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I want to bring my wife to the US...and i was going to go with the K3 since i read in the guide that it is faster than the CR1.

but then people here said that K3 visa is not longer available and that a CR1/IR1 is the same speed now.

What should i do?

Well you can file both the I-130 and I-129F - however, if they are both approved at the same time the I-129F is tossed aside in favour of the I-130 (for CR1/IR1).

So really it's up to you, you can go ahead and try for the K3 if you want to - won't harm anything, just be prepared to be doing the CR1/IR1.

Important Notice: Effective February 1st, 2010, when both the I-129F petition for a nonimmigrant K visa and the I-130 petition for an IR-1 (or CR-1) spouse of a U.S. citizen visa have been approved by USCIS and sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), the availability as well as the need for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends. If the NVC receives both petitions:

The nonimmigrant K visa will be administratively closed.

The application process explained below will not be applicable and cannot be used.

The NVC will contact the petitioner and you with instructions for processing your IR-1 (or CR-1) immigrant visa.

For more information on the immigrant visa process review the Immigrant Visa for a Spouse webpage.

If the NVC does not receive your I-130 petition and I-129F at the same time, the NVC will process your I-129F petition.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

What should i do?

Why do you keep on asking the same questions again and again and again, Yawled??? There is not shortcut about bringing your wife to America :whistle::whistle::whistle: . They all will take between 6 - 12 months, depending on yor cirmustances. If you are deperate to bring her faster than the normal process, then get a lawyer. :bonk::bonk:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

A lawyer cannot achieve faster processing rates. On the contrary, they might actually slow you down considerably.

03/27/2009: Engaged in Ithaca, New York.
08/17/2009: Wedding in Calcutta, India.
09/29/2009: I-130 NOA1
01/25/2010: I-130 NOA2
03/23/2010: Case completed.
05/12/2010: CR-1 interview at Mumbai, India.
05/20/2010: US Entry, Chicago.
03/01/2012: ROC NOA1.
03/26/2012: Biometrics completed.
12/07/2012: 10 year card production ordered.

09/25/2013: N-400 NOA1

10/16/2013: Biometrics completed

12/03/2013: Interview

12/20/2013: Oath ceremony

event.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Have you filed anything yet? If not, stick with the I-130.

Good Luck !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

k3 isn't dead...whatever you may choose. When u comply all the complete requirements for the paperwork's they require what it makes it too long to get approved right?stick to your prior decision. GO! GO!..

Good luck!!!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

k3 isn't dead...whatever you may choose. When u comply all the complete requirements for the paperwork's they require what it makes it too long to get approved right?stick to your prior decision. GO! GO!..

Good luck!!!

You are misinformed. K3 effectively died as an option on February 1, 2010. If you don't know this, the link to the notice has been posted in this forum half a dozen times since then.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Kuwait
Timeline

I just called USCIS and they confirmed that K-3 is still available. Also, you can check this info at http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_2993.html.

When you want to go the K-3 route, make sure you send your I-130 first and wait for your NOA. Then, you can send your I-129F.

"How will the Department of State process my K-3 visa petition?

Important Notice: Effective February 1st, 2010, when both the I-129F petition for a nonimmigrant K visa and the I-130 petition for an IR-1 (or CR-1) spouse of a U.S. citizen visa have been approved by USCIS and sent to the National Visa Center (NVC), the availability as well as the need for a nonimmigrant K-3 visa ends. If the NVC receives both petitions:

* The nonimmigrant K visa will be administratively closed.

* The application process explained below will not be applicable and cannot be used.

* The NVC will contact the petitioner and you with instructions for processing your IR-1 (or CR-1) immigrant visa. For more information on the immigrant visa process review the Immigrant Visa for a Spouse webpage.

If the NVC does not receive your I-130 petition and I-129F at the same time, the NVC will process your I-129F petition. Then NVC will send the petition to the embassy or consulate in the country where the marriage took place. If your marriage took place in the U.S., the NVC will send the petition to the embassy or consulate that issues visas in your country of nationality. If your marriage took place in a country that does not have an American embassy, or the embassy does not issue visas, the NVC will send your petition to the embassy or consulate that normally processes visas for citizens of that country. For example, if your marriage took place in Iran where the U.S. does not have an embassy your petition would be sent to Turkey. "

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

The USCIS doesn't yet know that when the forms are sent at the same time to the NVC, that the NVC is saying they'll administratively close the I129F for the K3 app. The left hand (USCIS) doesn't know what the right hand (NVC) is doing.

The only hope of the K3 is if somehow the I129F gets to the NVC seperately and before the I130. Some of us are in a situation of waiting too see with our apps as to if they'll delay the I130 upon request to allow for K3 processing. We'll wait and see, and in the meantime prepare for plan B. (CR1)

I-130 Received Date per letter Feb 22, 2010

I-130 NOA1 Notice Date per letter Feb 28, 2010

I-130 Touched March 2, 2010

I-130 Touched March 23, 2010 no e-mail despite e-mail alert on, thankful nonetheless!

Kids Register of Birth Abroad & passport appointment March 31st, 2010 approved.

I-129F NOA1 April 8, 2010 (Let's see what happens with this K3 application) ugh!

I-129F Touched June 15, 2010

I-129F RFE (our atty forgot to complete 2 lines)

I-130 Approved June 23, 2010 121 days from NOA1

I-129F RFE details Received by USCIS July 7, 2010

I-130 Case # at NVC obtained July 8, 2010

I-130 NVC sent affidavit of support and visa bills July 8, 2010

I-129F approved by USCIS and sent to NVC

I-129F confirmed received by NVC and per supervisor, it will be administratively closed

I-129F letter recvd of administratively closed K3 app Aug 2, 2010

Doesn't really matter if the K3 is dead or not. Other than knocking a "short" time off the process it's a SHITTY and costly visa.

Just a few reasons why to go with the CR-1. If you are eligible for a IR-1 then you would be nuts going with a K3!

The K3 has to adjust status which cost $1010 + $131 visas application fee.

Have to go thru the cost and hassles of getting a I-693 also. You want to go to a Civil surgeon?

K3 normally has to do biometrics and have a AOS interview. Time off from work cost the petitioner. PLUS the hassles of submitting the paperwork and going for the interview. Taint fun.. Especially if denied or questioned. Ever done a Stokes interview?

Thats the second interview if they are in doubt of your relationship.

Also a possibility of being deported. Yeah doesnt happen much but it happens.

K3 has to wait about 90 days after they file to get EAD or GC so they can get SSN and be able to work.

CR-1 can work as soon as they get the GC and SS card in the mail. Normally with 6 weeks.

Cant do a LOT of things without SSN. Like work or get a drivers license in some states.

Some K visas dont get GC for a LONG time.

If petitioner goes belly up before you get GC you stand a chance of being deported.

If the petitioner loses his/her job after the interview you dont have to worry about getting a co sponsor to adjust status!

CR-1 cost about $470

Get their GC and SS card in the mail within 6 weeks of arrival.

No biometrics , dealing with civil surgeons, AOS interviews, going to SSA for SS card.

Im sure Ive missed a few things.

Bottomline is anyone that goes with the K3 the way things are now are masochist!

Yeah I did but at that time K3s were a LOT faster. Thats not the case anymore.

Edited by Dakine

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline

The USCIS doesn't yet know that when the forms are sent at the same time to the NVC, that the NVC is saying they'll administratively close the I129F for the K3 app. The left hand (USCIS) doesn't know what the right hand (NVC) is doing.

The only hope of the K3 is if somehow the I129F gets to the NVC seperately and before the I130. Some of us are in a situation of waiting too see with our apps as to if they'll delay the I130 upon request to allow for K3 processing. We'll wait and see, and in the meantime prepare for plan B. (CR1)

Another important thing to understand is that USCIS adjudicates petitions but does NOT issue visas. They'll do their part and then the petition they approved will die at NVC, which is part of the Dept. of State who DOES issue visas. K3 is effectively dead.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

I would recommend K3, as it worked for us, it was faster than the CR1 (For Juarez consulate at least)

4.28.07 - Married in Jalisco Mexico - Cozumel Honeymoon for 2 weeks

***I-130***

5.24.07 - I-130 Received in CSC

7.14.07 - Received NOA1 (WOW after 6 weeks, I was worried...called INS and told me CSC had a computer "glitch" causing delays on printing Receipt notices and approvals)

10.30.07 - APPROVED No email, the NOA2 came in the mail...hard copy.

***1-129F***

7.23.07 - I-129F received in Chicago

7.30.07 - Received NOA1

11.21.07 - APPROVED!!!! APPROVED. GOT AN E-MAIL ON THANKSGIVING!

03.03.08- INTERVIEW IN CIUDAD JUAREZ. VISA GRANTED ON 03.03.2008

***AOS & EAD***

3.10.08 - Case Received at Chicago Lockbox, check cashed 3.14.08

3.17.08 - Received both NOA's in the mail

3.21.08 - Received Biometrics appointment letter in the mail, biometrics Appt. 4.02.08

5.05.08 - EAD Card Production ordered GOT EMAIL (we received the same email on 5.09.08)

5.13.08 - Approval Email for EAD (so the card was ordered first, and then we were approved...hum)

5.15.08 - EAD Card Received in mail.

8.08.08 - WE GOT OUR INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT YAY...9/12/08 - INTERVIEW APPROVED

9.24.08 - Received Green Card in the mail YEAH!

***I-751***

6.15.10 - Mailed I-751 Docs to CSC, check cashed 6.24.10

6.26.10 - Received NOA in mail dated 6.21.10

6.29.10 - Received Biometrics appointment for 7.15.10

Timeline

I would recommend K3, as it worked for us, it was faster than the CR1 (For Juarez consulate at least)

Fair enough. How do you propose to get an I-129F through NVC after February 1, 2010?

PS: It worked for me too but that was then and this is now.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Fair enough. How do you propose to get an I-129F through NVC after February 1, 2010?

PS: It worked for me too but that was then and this is now.

Not sure why you bother. No one seems to understand K-3 is dead. It's like telling someone if they jump off a bridge they might die, but they still do it anyway.

It's been documented with links to DOS in multiple threads that if the I-130 and I-129F arrive at NVC at the same time the I-129F will be administratively closed. Need to move forward with the NVC steps for the CR-1/IR-1 route.

It would be best for people to read up on the NVC shortcuts and be prepared for what you need to do to move through them as quickly as possible, instead of beating the already dead K-3 horse. Look here for NVC steps for CR-1/IR-1:

http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/LingChe_NVC_ShortCut

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Bangkok, Thailand

Marriage : 2006-11-08

I-130 Sent : 2008-02-22

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-03-10

I-129F Sent : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-14

I-129F touched: 2008-05-06

I-130 touched: 2008-05-09

I-129F approved 2008-09-05

I-130 approved 2008-09-05

NVC received 2008-09-12

Pay I-864 2008-10-08

Pay IV bill 2008-10-08

Receive Instruction 2008-11-05

Case Complete 2008-11-18

Medical 2009-01-19/20 passed

Receive Pkt 4 2009-01-30

Interview 221g 2009-02-23

Second interview 2009-03-02 Approved

POE DFW 2009-03-07

Received SS card 2009-03-17

Received GC 2009-04-01

Done for 3 years or 10 years. Haven't decided yet.

(I'm going for the IR-1 and blowing off the K-3. Even if it takes an extra couple months, it's worth it to not have to deal with USCIS again)

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Note:

Please fill out I-130, wait 6 months for approval, then 3 more months for an interview. (Unless of course we've bombed your country into the stone age, then you qualify for expedited processing.)

Welcome to the USA!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.