Rosa1

Can registering to vote as LPR be a problem?

17 posts in this topic

I need help, does anybody knows if registering to vote as a lpr can be an issue for citizenship? even that I never vote.

It could as in N400 - part 10 Additional questions under A. General Questions question 2. asks: Have you ever register to vote in any Federal, State, or local elections in the United States?

Yes or No

How did you register for voting?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Country:
Timeline

What is important is what was required when you registered to vote.

As an LPR you can't vote in Federal Elections as they require you to be a US Citizen.

You may register & even vote in local and state elections unless they also require you to be a US Citizen.

There should be information on your voter's registration card, contact them and see if your registration is in violation of this.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

when I went to renew my driver lisence, I was asked if I wanna register to vote, even that my identification was a employment autorization card and my foreing passport, so I though it was a responsability just like the selective service, but sometime after I find out that I shouldn't registered, so I never vote, I did file for citizenship, and now I am wonder if that is going to be a issue, because I answer yes to the question if you ever register to vote. Any idea what to do on my interview? please let me know.

I suggest that you explained that in writing. From how you described it, you did not have any intentions of claiming yourself as a US citizen. It looks like it is a misunderstanding on your part and the employee of the DMV.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I feel the main issue here is whether you declared yourself as a US citizen or not. Don't know about your state, but in the State of Wisconsin when applying for a drivers' license, you are asked if you are a USC. If you answered yes to this question and are not, you will have a lot of explaining to do. If you answered NO, and they issued you a voters' registration card anyway, then its their fault. But you should have corrected that if they did.

I was with both my wife and daughter during this process, and made darn sure they answered no to that USC question. At first they wanted to see a valid SS card, on renewal, had to show a valid LPR card. But if we did answer yes to the US citizen question, didn't have to show anything. Sure making it easy for illegals to get a valid drivers' license and I sure commented about that to the DMV agent. Just gave me a blank stare.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Guatemala
Timeline

I feel the main issue here is whether you declared yourself as a US citizen or not. Don't know about your state, but in the State of Wisconsin when applying for a drivers' license, you are asked if you are a USC. If you answered yes to this question and are not, you will have a lot of explaining to do. If you answered NO, and they issued you a voters' registration card anyway, then its their fault. But you should have corrected that if they did.

I was with both my wife and daughter during this process, and made darn sure they answered no to that USC question. At first they wanted to see a valid SS card, on renewal, had to show a valid LPR card. But if we did answer yes to the US citizen question, didn't have to show anything. Sure making it easy for illegals to get a valid drivers' license and I sure commented about that to the DMV agent. Just gave me a blank stare.

It happened on 1998, in PA. I think the question about registerig was asked almost by the end of the renewal process, as well if I do wanna be a organ donor, so I dit answer yes to every question confirming the information I must missundertand if he did ask if I was a US Citizen, but I think the question was if I do wanna register to vote. But I have neve clamim a US Citizenship by any other way then registering to vote but never vote.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

You dont need to show your citizenship proof when you register to vote.

You will have problem getting citizenship, if you register to vote and werent US citizen at that time.

04/07/10 - Sent I-130

04/09/10 - Delivered

04/15/10 - NOA 1

04/16/10 - Check Cashed

04/19/10 - Touched

09/27/10 - Touched

09/28/10 - Approved, Received text, email at 8:00am, PST

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi NickD. Okay, All what u said was clear, now. for this ppl who applied for their

drivers licenses, how can they make sure that they didn't marked that Question with Yes.? I mean If you a USC Question!! is there anyway to find out? I mean if they Call the DMV they will tell them if they marked it or not?? i mean this Applications it doesnt stay that long in the DMV??

Thanks.

بســــم اللـــــه الــــرحمـن الــــرحــــيم

My N-400 timeline, I hope it will help - Local Office (Chula Vista Field Office - San Diego)

10/01/2010: Application was sent.

10/04/2010: Application was received.

10/06/2010: Email received "Application has been received" & Noticed Date.

10/07/2010: "Touch"

10/08/2010: "Touch" & Check was Cashed

10/09/2010: NOA1 Received via mail.

10/22/2010: Status Changed Online "Request for evidence" It was for Biometrics.

10/25/2010: Request for evidence recieved "Biometrics Notice".

11/18/2010: Biometrics date ==> 11:00AM. Biometrics was taken On time.

12/03/2010: "Yellow Letter" Received.

12/06/2010: "Touch" Case Moved to "Testing and Interview".

12/08/2010: Interview Letter received via mail.

01/13/2011: Interview Date. Done, " Thanks To ALLAH, I Passed the Test.

01/18/2011: Oath Letter was Sent.

01/20/2011: Oath Letter Recieved via mail.

01/28/2011: Oath Date. ==> Done, I am a U.S. Citizen

01/31/2011: Applied for a U.S. Passport Book, And, U.S. Passport Card.

02/25/2011: Passport Book's Received.

02/26/2011: Passport Card's Received.

02/28/2011: Certificate Of Naturalization's Returned.

Game Over.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi NickD. Okay, All what u said was clear, now. for this ppl who applied for their

drivers licenses, how can they make sure that they didn't marked that Question with Yes.? I mean If you a USC Question!! is there anyway to find out? I mean if they Call the DMV they will tell them if they marked it or not?? i mean this Applications it doesnt stay that long in the DMV??

Thanks.

Feel thats the risky approach, if Rosie never voted and has that voter registration card, think I would take that back and state it was issued by mistake and swear she never used it. And report to her IO she did receive a voters registration card by mistake, never used it, and returned it. Can leave the timeframe out of it.

When I met my wife to be, thought we could just marry and live happily ever after, thats how ignorant I was. Got lost in the USCIS website with all those forms so found the best immigration attorney in the US to advise and handle our case. Was still a lot of work on our part to gather all the information, particularly in both Venezuela and Colombia and then the translations. Plus their courts are corrupt. He did feel out all the forms and I studied them carefully and asked whats next. Thats when I learned about the I-751 and N-400 and the questions they asked. Voters registration was one to be aware of and at the time, English was neither my wifes' nor step daughters' best subject. Better to avoid problems than to make them, wanted and still want to keep my wife.

• 1 month later...

It happened on 1998, in PA. I think the question about registerig was asked almost by the end of the renewal process, as well if I do wanna be a organ donor, so I dit answer yes to every question confirming the information I must missundertand if he did ask if I was a US Citizen, but I think the question was if I do wanna register to vote. But I have neve clamim a US Citizenship by any other way then registering to vote but never vote.

First thing you need to do is contact your voter registration office in your county (google it), and request a cancellation of your voter registration number.

They will provide you with a withdrawal letter stating that this was a mistake and corrected and that you have never voted in any federal or local election.

Then you should explain that this was a mistake done in a good faith and attach those letters received from the voter's office.

Better yet you might want to consider hiring an attorney, because this is a deportable offense.

I do not want to sound negative or anything, but I am going through the same thing. Best of luck, and keep us posted

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Blandt gave you really good advice. Good luck to you.

I know it is a real problem with Department of Driver Services registering people to vote. I know when I went to get my DL they asked if I wanted to register to vote as well - after taking in my K-1 visa, my recently expired I-94 and my newly issued EAD! It was very apparent I was not a US citizen - I even had to hand in my Canadian Driver's License - but I know for a fact that they never asked me if I was a US citizen. I had to tell them that I was not eligible to vote. Quite honestly, I don't think they should be putting new immigrants into that position - they should be safe-guarding the voter's list by asking first 'Are you eligible to vote" before they ask if you want to be added to a voter's list. That way someone has the opportunity to ask what is required to be eligible, and find out that you need to be a US citizen first. Then, if they state they wish to be registered it is from an informed position.

So, good luck with getting this straightened out. I really do believe that the Department of Driver's Services must bear the brunt of the responsibility in this but unfortunately, you are the one who is having to deal with the ramifications.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Blandt gave you really good advice. Good luck to you.

I know it is a real problem with Department of Driver Services registering people to vote. I know when I went to get my DL they asked if I wanted to register to vote as well - after taking in my K-1 visa, my recently expired I-94 and my newly issued EAD! It was very apparent I was not a US citizen - I even had to hand in my Canadian Driver's License - but I know for a fact that they never asked me if I was a US citizen. I had to tell them that I was not eligible to vote. Quite honestly, I don't think they should be putting new immigrants into that position - they should be safe-guarding the voter's list by asking first 'Are you eligible to vote" before they ask if you want to be added to a voter's list. That way someone has the opportunity to ask what is required to be eligible, and find out that you need to be a US citizen first. Then, if they state they wish to be registered it is from an informed position.

So, good luck with getting this straightened out. I really do believe that the Department of Driver's Services must bear the brunt of the responsibility in this but unfortunately, you are the one who is having to deal with the ramifications.

I recently got a new DL in a new state and was asked again about registering to vote even though the guy had my green card in his hands - don't they know what a Legal Permanent Resident means?

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I know, it almost seems like a 'set up' so they can say ' gotcha'! for claiming to be a US citizen when you're not. I really think this matter does need to be investigated, especially as newcomers will not yet be familiar with what they can and cannot do and will be eager to try and do what they believe they are supposed to do. If someone 'in authority' who knows the newcomer is an immigrant because the newcomer presented documentation showing their immigrant status asks them if they want to register vote, then why would the newcomer expect this person to be asking them to do something illegal? It is even more of a concern if the newcomer's English language skills are still minimal as well.

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.