Caitlin2009

Trying to move my fiance to the US

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Have you found out what visa your friend applied for yet?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Timeline

Have you found out what visa your friend applied for yet?

yep for a temporary work one, he told me that the other day and i forgot. It's been a rough week. From what they told him thats what she needs at the moment because she has to live in the states for a certain amount of time before she can apply for a permanant one.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

yep for a temporary work one, he told me that the other day and i forgot. It's been a rough week. From what they told him thats what she needs at the moment because she has to live in the states for a certain amount of time before she can apply for a permanant one.

As far as I am aware all the work visas are temporary (valid 3 years with potential of renewal for an additional 3 years).

Maybe he applied for a H1B or L1(B).

I don't know how big your friend's company is but if it's big enough maybe it's a H1B.

There are certain things it could potentially have to do with L1, if he's starting up a new branch and needs a manager there or if he's specializing in Scottish humor or something.

It is hard getting the H1Bs and the L1Bs, I've tried. The company has to sponsor you and has to prove there is no one else in the US who can do the job (H1B) so it's a costly process and if this is what your friend has done then that's very impressive that he's going that length.

Does she have a university degree?

I saw someone earlier mentioning E2 visa, but these are very very hard to get. I used to be a professional ballroom dancer competing in world and euro championships but I doubt that would qualify me.

Either way I wish you the best of luck getting your loved one to the US fast and legally.

Cheers.

-M

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Well, everybody on here who has made it into the country/got his gc can tell you that it is a stressful and lenghty process. No doubt about that. That's why I am really concerned about this "wait and see" stuff.

Some things need to be dealt with head on and immigration is one of it.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

As far as I am aware all the work visas are temporary (valid 3 years with potential of renewal for an additional 3 years).Maybe he applied for a H1B or L1(B).I don't know how big your friend's company is but if it's big enough maybe it's a H1B.There are certain things it could potentially have to do with L1, if he's starting up a new branch and needs a manager there or if he's specializing in Scottish humor or something.It is hard getting the H1Bs and the L1Bs, I've tried. The company has to sponsor you and has to prove there is no one else in the US who can do the job (H1B) so it's a costly process and if this is what your friend has done then that's very impressive that he's going that length.Does she have a university degree?I saw someone earlier mentioning E2 visa, but these are very very hard to get. I used to be a professional ballroom dancer competing in world and euro championships but I doubt that would qualify me.Either way I wish you the best of luck getting your loved one to the US fast and legally.Cheers.-M

I hear its very diffacult but if certain people in the industry can do it then so can we(not trying to have an attitude i swear im just saying), unless some of them applied for other things. *shrugs*

Well, everybody on here who has made it into the country/got his gc can tell you that it is a stressful and lenghty process. No doubt about that. That's why I am really concerned about this "wait and see" stuff.Some things need to be dealt with head on and immigration is one of it.

Oh yeah 5 months into it at times especially the last few days im like this :wacko::blink: I know, i'm not trying to blow it off im just trying to have a clear head before we do another thing that we need to do to speed things up, at the moment theres so much going on that nobody has a clear head to do much of anything at the moment, so when things level out a little we defiantly make some phone calls

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
and im bored with you so there and it is a serious question, cause i've given all the information that i can what the hell else do you want me to do??? And for crying out loud how the hell do you think all the other people that came from different countries became actors, actresses, models, stand up comics, ect and now live in the states??? hmm? They somehow made it through i'm willing to bet you that 80% of the people in hollywood are not from the US originally and most of them probably had help with getting in. And wow you sound like a parent with "steady occupations one can rely upon. Nurse. Medical doctor. Attorney. Accountant. Engineer. Scientist. Something verifiable and substantial" thats bull! i'm sorry but thats not for everybody especially if you have a gift for making people laugh, can sing really well, can act really well, i suppose everybody who's in the business according to you should have went for being a doctor? It's that kind of attitude that makes people think that shooting for your dreams and what your meant to do is impossible so they stop doing it. It's not impossible at all, if you want something bad enough you yourself have to work hard at it and it will happen.

OK, I get it now. This is a comedy skit, right? You really are funny!

I don't know why I am doing myself the indignity of responding again, but I feel like I'm driving past the scene of an accident that I can't peel my eyes off of.

Your characterization of this entire process is nearing negligence. Perhaps in your mind you actually believe your proclamation of love and ambition eclipses the reality of immigration procedures, but all we've described generally applies to the parameters that you are legally required to observe. And while stranger things have happened, foreign nationals typically are not granted work visas because they "want" to give a possible profession a shot in the United States.

You are grasping at straws. I simply gave a list of occupations that served as good examples of established professions that would not, unlike Denise's, throw an immediate red flag. How you can then say I suggested every entertainer should have become a medical doctor first is delusional.

80% of Hollywood artists immigrated? I'd think that's a little bit of an over-assumption.

How did all the "other" people arrive in the U.S. and become entertainers? Probably via a legal entry, believe it or not -- work visa for a legitimate occupation, F1 visa for schooling, K visa for marriage, family visa, or already had experienced success abroad -- and not via the route you suggest. You've seen too many movies, dear.

Despite your incessant rambling, I still want to see you be properly educated regarding the process. I noticed you now know your friend is applying for a "temporary work visa" -- that's a good start. If you'd stop attacking everyone for a moment, you'd be able to narrow down the specifics that lead from there.

So, 80% of Hollywood is made up of foreign nationals that immigrated to the U.S. via a hidden network of secret phone calls and backdoor handshakes. Tell me something, do you hear voices?

That was a joke. See, I'm funny too --

Listen, fine, this "friend" is attempting to bring your other "friend" to the U.S. so she can burst upon the entertainment scene and astonish us all with her funniness. If I recall correctly, in your first post you said you wished to know what all was involved. We've made a fair attempt to shine a light on that for you, but much of it seems to have fallen upon deaf ears.

There really isn't much else for anyone to say. You aren't providing any valid information to work with, and are simply using this thread as a means to expound on the notion that so long as someone wants to do something and try hard enough they'll succeed. Alright, knock yourself out, then.

That may apply to a USC attempting an entertainment career, or when someone wishes to climb a mountain, but you are dealing with a number of variables that are not in your favor within a system that doesn't give squat about how you feel. This is not about your determination, it's about learning the process and meeting the qualifications. Period.

I spent the last 4+ years in Iraq. Believe me, reality is grimmer than that. A strong survival instinct often is not enough to survive, as the world does not particularly care if you survive, drown in mediocrity, utterly fail, or pass away. But if you make a realistic assessment of your situation, lay out what you can and can't do, and then choose the options that best support a successful result, well, then you are on to something.

If you've noticed, a few of the more knowledgeable (and respected) VJ members that could have -- and would normally have -- offered you a great deal of assistance are not contributing to this post, mainly because it has become a debacle. So the discussion is basically dead now.

When I say this, I truly mean it. Good luck with everything.

17-Jan-10 - Filed K-1

26-Apr-10 - Approved

06-May-10 - Entered POE

24-May-10 - Married

22-Jul-10 - Filed AOS

24-Sep-10 - Biometrics Appointment

18-Nov-10 - Approved

29-Nov-10 - Received Green Card

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Thanks Alcheringa, you summed it up very nicely.

I strongly believe that sometimes people need to go their own way and make mistakes and learn from them.

Unfortunately Immigration is not the kind of thing you want to learn about through trial and error, but I guess that's up to the OP to experience herself.

Caitlin2009, you might feel overwhelmed now with a lot of things but ignoring facts about the whole matter will get you guys just deeper into a hole. Since your friend has already applied for the visa, I suggest you go that route and hope, it will work out.

What more can we say? I don't think anybody here is wishing you anything bad, it's just that I feel like I am watching a big wreck to happen sooner than later and I don't think it's fairly safe to say I am not the only one who feels like that.

Good luck from me too, you'll need a whole lot of it.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What classification of 'temporary work visa' has been petitioned for? There is a whole alphabet of temporary work visas (some requires a 2 year home residency requirement that needs to be met before returning to the US after the visa has expired). The more information you give us the better insight into the process we can give you.

What 'connections' do you have? We had Steny Hoyer, who did his best but couldn't do anything for us (he is a very sweet, hard working man)

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Oh i know we will defiantly find a way, i feel that in my heart i always have, and for anybody who's doing this you will defiantly find a way of being together if your love is that strong!
Freudian slips regarding her attitude toward the process, si man?

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To get a work visa you need to be sponsored.

The company that sponsors you appponts a lawyer.

There are very limited categories.

You would ask the Employers Lawyer for information, what type of visa etc etc.

There is not a category for wannabe stand up comedians.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

*sighs* im gonna leave at this, i did get a few helpful facts from a few people. thank you for that, however at the end of the day none of you are in our position you kinda are or were but its different for everybody, were doing it this way and it will work one way or the other. It may not have worked for some of you but hey im sorry for that but at the end of the day were following our hearts in what we feel its right on doing, we feel were on the right path. not much more i can say to that really. but i do thank some of you for your helpful advice and i did learn a few things

I wonder why Caitlin doesn't just move to Scotland, as the United Kingdom does recognize partners for family immigration.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
I wonder why Caitlin doesn't just move to Scotland, as the United Kingdom does recognize partners for family immigration.
Defiantly, si man!

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

No need, they can get a SUC Visa for Stand Up Comedians.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.