Caitlin2009

Trying to move my fiance to the US

62 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm not all too sure where to put this, but me and my friend, have been trying to get my fiance over from Scotland. It's a tougher process then we originally thought, I was wondering what it all involved for her to get here? And if your wondering why were not applying for the fiance visa its because my friend who i've known for years lives in California, and she wants to get into stand up and acting so he's trying to help her out with that, and she's gonna live with him when it gets approved so she can get into the business. After when i move to NC with another friend of mine and he helps me out with getting a house of our own, then me and here move in together and after that we'll get married. Phew. Basically we have been waiting for an answer for like 5 months now, it's taking ages! And i wanted to know whats involved with that?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

ok - so you're not interested in having her come here as your fiance, is that correct? Has your fiance applied for any type of visa? If so what type?

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

My friend was the one that applied for it, i'm not exactly sure what he applied for i'll have to ask him when he comes online later, I believe he did the work Visa since she's also trying to get into the entertainment business

Edited by Caitlin2009

I'm confused.

You said your fiance (which means a man) then you said to bring "her" over here. Are you both women?

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Is your friend proposing to bring her here as his spouse or fiancee? Or is he an employer wanting to sponsor her here for employment based visa?

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

yes were both woman.

Currently, Federal law does not recognize same sex marriage, so no immigration is possible under this scenario.

Your fiancee cannot AOS with a visa by marrying you. (this is what changes their status to LPR)

If you get married on a work visa with the intent for her to stay in the US, she could be charged with misrepresenting herself, and deported.

(I would not recommend doing this, as this could cause any future visa application to be denied - but if she is here to work, on a valid visa, there is no law (depending on the state that is) preventing you from living together/married together - she would need to maintain a legal status above all. )

In either case, you should consult an immigration lawyer to go over all the issues that you may encounter.

Edited by Bobby+Umit

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

we know thats why were not doing the fiance visa thing or getting married until everything is settled, and when we can when shes in the US we will defiantly talk to a lawyer about that and other things, may not seem like it but we have everything planned out and we know we gotta do things right and we defiantly plan to :) but for the work visa thing how long does it normally take? I know she talked to people in her area and they told her 6 months, to 2 years....is that actually the case?

Depends on what type of work visa you are going for.

My link

I hope she has found an employer willing to sponsor her - a lot of them (mine included) have stopped doing it now. I think the economy plus the cost of sponsoring someone has put a lot of employers off doing it.

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

When you find out what classification of visa has been applied for, you will get better answers as to the time frame

Good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.