antda

Are there any negatives to US Citizenship?

42 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Hi Everyone,

Ok, So I'm already a USC, and I mostly talk about the positives of US Citizenship, but....

My husband (who is also a USC), and I made an unusual bet, for the fun of it.....:lol:

Lol..We bet that I (Ant) couldn't come up with 10 reasons as to why there are negatives to becoming a US Citizen....

Anyways, I took him up on his bet...So...

Here is a quick list that I can think of, as to the negatives of US Citizenship....

-The US Citizenship/N-400 process costs more time and money...$675....(even though it is optional)

-US Citizens have to file US taxes on their worldwide income

-US Citizens have to serve on a US jury if called for

-US Citizens have to always travel overseas with US passports

-US Citizens have to be loyal to the US only. Some other countries do not allow dual/triple citizenships. If one becomes a -Citzen, depending on the other country, they can lose that other former country's citizenship.

Any other reasons you can think of? 5 down, 5 to go.....

Lol..Any other ideas and/or more list suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Let's see who can win this bet....;)

Ant

Edited by Ant+D+BabyA

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

US citizens can't visit Cuba legally

US citizens are prime targets for kidnapping and being held for ransom in some poorer countries

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Timeline

US citizens can't visit Cuba legally

US citizens are prime targets for kidnapping and being held for ransom in some poorer countries

Kathryn-Thanks for your reply.

Wow..I never knew about the Cuba thing...Really? I thought that US Citizens could go to Cuba, but couldn't import back any Cuban cigars, or stuff like that...I guess not then..lol...Didn't know that they couldn't visit at all...hmmm...

Don't worry though, as we won't be going to Cuba anytime soon..Lol..we've seen enough of "Cuba" by other means...

Interesting too, that you brought up the kidnapping thing...That's so true...

Either that, or the media hypes that up. But then again, I sort of blame the American government about this one, as they are the ones that want to attack some poorer countries, and as a result, these countries will fight back, and will do such with kidnapping and/or terrorist attacks....scary....

Actually, I've read that some Americans like to put a Canadian flag on their backpacks/luggage, so that they can avoid dangers like this..Not sure if it is true or not, but it does make sense..Canadians mean no harm...lol...

Ok...Two more reasons....I'm 7/10 away to go for the Easter goodies! Thanks..

Ant

**Ant's 1432.gif1502.gif "Once Upon An American Immigration Journey" Condensed Timeline...**

2000 (72+ Months) "Loved": Long-Distance Dating Relationship. D Visited Ant in Canada.

2006 (<1 Month) "Visited": Ant Visited D in America. B-2 Visa Port of Entry Interrogation.

2006 (<1 Month) "Married": Wedding Elopement. Husband & Wife, D and Ant !! Together Forever!

2006 ( 3 Months I-485 Wait) "Adjusted": 2-Years Green Card.

2007 ( 2 Months) "Numbered": SSN Card.

2007 (<1 Months) "Licensed": NYS 4-Years Driver's License.

2009 (10 Months I-751 Wait) "Removed": 10-Years 5-Months Green Card.

2009 ( 9 Months Baby Wait) "Expected": Baby. It's a Boy, Baby A !!! We Are Family, Ant+D+BabyA !

2009 ( 4 Months) "Moved": New House Constructed and Moved Into.

2009 ( 2 Months N-400 Wait) "Naturalized": US Citizenship, Certificate of Naturalization. Goodbye USCIS!!!!

***Ant is a Naturalized American Citizen!!***: November 23, 2009 (Private Oath Ceremony: USCIS Office, Buffalo, NY, USA)

2009 (<1 Month) "Secured": US Citizen SSN Card.

2009 (<1 Month) "Enhanced": US Citizen NYS 8-Years Enhanced Driver's License. (in lieu of a US Passport)

2010 ( 1 Month) "Voted": US Citizen NYS Voter's Registration Card.

***~~~"The End...And the Americans, Ant+D+BabyA, lived 'Happily Ever After'!"...~~~***

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

LPR has to file income tax on worldwide income too

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

All citizens from Western countries (including Canada) are more likely to be kidnapped abroad.

You don't need to use a US passport when traveling abroad (you only need it when getting back to the US - obviously if you have dual citizenship that is)

AOS:

RD: 6/21/06

Biometrics: 7/25/06

ID: 10/24/06 - Approved

Conditional GC Received: 11/3/06

I-751

RD: 7/31/08

NOA 1: 8/6/08

Biometrics: 8/26/08

Transferred to CSC: 2/25/09

Approved: 4/23/09 (email received)

Card mailed: 4/28/09 (email received)

Card Received: 5/1/09

N-400

RD & PD: 7/28/09

NOA 1: 8/1/09

Biometric appt: 8/12/09

Interview Letter received: 10/02/09 (notice dated 09/29)

Interview Date: 11/10/09 at Federal Plaza in Manhattan

Oath Letter: 11/10/09

Oath Date: 11/13/09 - Special ceremony at USS Intrepid - Done - USC

Filed: Timeline

Sounds like some pretty poor "negatives". You're turning honors and duties into negatives. Though you already are a US citizen, if you had such a problem with, passports, jury's, taxes, being loyal and proud of your new country, why even bother? It seems more of a hassle to you than a privilege. It's an honor for the US to allow you to become a citizen, it's definitely not something any immigrant deserves or has a right to. While the whole "find 10 things bad about being a citizen" may be just a "game", it shows some pretty poor attitude about being granted the priviledge to live in the greatest, most free, most unique country to date.

Sounds like some pretty poor "negatives". You're turning honors and duties into negatives. Though you already are a US citizen, if you had such a problem with, passports, jury's, taxes, being loyal and proud of your new country, why even bother? It seems more of a hassle to you than a privilege. It's an honor for the US to allow you to become a citizen, it's definitely not something any immigrant deserves or has a right to. While the whole "find 10 things bad about being a citizen" may be just a "game", it shows some pretty poor attitude about being granted the priviledge to live in the greatest, most free, most unique country to date.

I completely agree with J.J. & Diana, starting a topic like this is borderline disrespectful, even if it is just a 'joke'. I can honestly tell you that I would proudly and happily serve on a jury and would not see it as an inconvenience whatsoever.

Sure there are negatives about being a citizen of any country, but being as USC has more positives than any other one. Some of us here have been waiting over a decade, in my case over two, to file for naturalization, it has been a dream of mine ever since I was a little kid. And I can't see any negatives at all.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

USA does not permit dual or triple citizenship, but they do allow dual or triple nationality, there is a difference, a huge difference between those two words.

Citizenship requires 100% allegiance to this country and you cannot have allegiance to another country, even your home one. But is permissible under multiple nationality to hold a foreign passport, matter fact, you have to in some cases to visit your family.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Wonderful answer!!! Thank you!

200552682v4_225x225_Front.jpg

Filed: Timeline

:thumbs:

Too much of bashing America is going on. I love my country but if I choose to live here then I respect and should have my loyalty to this nation that has accepted me too. I don't see how that is a negative.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline

One of the rights we enjoy as Americans is the right to have this conversation right now, even if we disagree with the reason for doing so.

Our AOS Timeline

06/16/07 -- Our Wedding

06/26/07 -- AOS sent by attorney

07/02/07 -- Receipt of Documents by USCIS

08/01/07 -- Biometrics Completed

08/05/07 -- "Touched"

09/07/07 -- EAD Card Production Ordered!

01/29/08 -- AOS Interview - APPROVED!! [Verbally]

02/06/08 -- Welcome EMail Received

02/11/08 -- Card Production Ordered

02/19/08 -- Card Received!

Our ROC Timeline

11/05/09 -- Initial meeting with attorney to file Removal of Conditions

11/11/09 -- ROC sent by attorney

01/05/10 -- Biometrics Completed

02/16/10 -- Approval

Citizenship

06/13/11 -- N-400 sent by attorney.

06/24/11 -- NOA

07/15/11 -- Biometrics Completed

08/25/11 -- Interview APPROVED

08/31/11 -- Oath Taken! Now a US Citizen!

Passport

09/06/11 -- Passport Application submitted.

09/21/11 -- Passport Book Received!

09/23/11 -- Passport Card and Certificate of Naturalization received.

09/25/11 -- Life after USCIS begins.

av-37579.gif

Be me a little...

One of the rights we enjoy as Americans is the right to have this conversation right now, even if we disagree with the reason for doing so.

I agree with this post...Im sure Ant loves being an american, and what this post is actually doing, is showing how hard it is to think of negatives about the country!!

:) I cant think of anything you guys havent mentioned though.. the cuba thing sucks... its such a nice vacation destination.

Invictus..

Out of the night that covers me,

Black as the Pit from pole to pole,

I thank whatever gods may be

For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance

I have not winced nor cried aloud.

Under the bludgeonings of chance

My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears

Looms but the Horror of the shade,

And yet the menace of the years

Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,

How charged with punishments the scroll.

I am the master of my fate:

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley

Being an American Citizen is the reason we try so hard to bring our spouses and loved ones here in the first place For the Freedoms we have be it good or bad.. the one thing we have is a voice and the right to be heard on any forum. I praise all those that can freely speak there mind but also ask if there is something wrong with America we are the only that can fix it no one else.....Damn I am proud to be an American even if I came to it Via the Panama Canal Zone.In every Country on this Earth there is good and bad Laws and Rules which the citizens of that country must follow So America is no different in that aspect. IT how the laws are made and adjusted that makes America a wonderful place to live and grow. So If there is Something you do not like about America Do what millions of people do Vote the right people into Office and let your Voices be heard..Not only is Being an American an honor but its a responsibility to each other in this Great country to make sure these right are protected and continue to be refined so others in our future will have the same if not better America to live in...Thank you for letting me part of this Forum

Edited by Ronald and Elvira

Always and Forever

Ronald & Elvira Williams and Ronny Jr.

Well, after following this post since it started and seen the type of replies, I want to just jump in and provide a few thoughts.

1. First of, I don't think Ant meant it in a negative way... hence, the bet is, and I quote:

"We bet that I (Ant) couldn't come up with 10 reasons as to why there are negatives to becoming a US Citizen...."

I bet that if we talked about other countries, we can come up with more than 10 reasons within the first two or three replies.... this actually worked as a proof that we cannot even list 10 reasons....

2. If we pay attention to the listed items, we can easily see that they are by no means terrible and just matter of comfort.

For example: "- The US Citizenship/N-400 process costs more time and money...$675....(even though it is optional)"

But if we look deeply into it, any government process takes a lot of money no matter what country. We always complain about USCIS and their efficiency but personally speaking, the process of obtaining documents and getting legal errands taken care of in other countries is a much worse process... this item is only related to money and nothing else.

3. As for jury: "-US Citizens have to serve on a US jury if called for "

I have yet to hear of any person naturally born USC or a naturalized USC jumping in joy when receiving a jury duty letter. Although it is a privilege to be of service to this country with duties such as jury duty, but it will at any point interrupt that person's life....

4. "-US Citizens have to always travel overseas with US passports" - I really don't see this being a disadvantage. A lot of countries require visas prior to visit even neighboring countries. Also, when connecting in other countries, a US passport will allow you to do that without any issues. Again, some other countries actually need to get their passports stamped with a transit visa that will allow them access to AIRPORT ONLY during travel.

5. "-US Citizens have to be loyal to the US only." That is the whole idea behind the oath and the pledge of allegiance. We had a topic about this that exploded into a big discussion. I still like to emphasis on how serious this oath is and how so many people are indifferent to what it means - all it is to them is just something they say in order to get naturalized. This is something I can consider as a negative. I wish the oath is a more serious process and not just show up at a certain location with the letter and you get naturalized.

N-400 Naturalization Timeline

06/28/11 .. Mailed N-400 package via Priority mail with delivery confirmation

06/30/11 .. Package Delivered to Dallas Lockbox

07/06/11 .. Received e-mail notification of application acceptance

07/06/11 .. Check cashed

07/08/11 .. Received NOA letter

07/29/11 .. Received text/e-mail for biometrics notice

08/03/11 .. Received Biometrics letter - scheduled for 8/24/11

08/04/11 .. Walk-in finger prints done.

08/08/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Placed in line for interview scheduling

09/12/11 .. Received Yellow letter dated 9/7/11

09/13/11 .. Received text/e-mail: Interview scheduled

09/16/11 .. Received interview letter

10/19/11 .. Interview - PASSED

10/20/11 .. Received text/email: Oath scheduled

10/22/11 .. Received OATH letter

11/09/11 .. Oath ceremony

Meh. Hubby has no desire to apply for citizenship and I have no desire to spend even more money.

we met: 07-22-01

engaged: 08-03-06

I-129 sent: 01-07-07

NOA2 approved: 04-02-07

packet 3 sent: 05-31-07

interview date: 06-25-07 - approved!

marriage: 07-23-07

AOS sent: 08-10-07

AOS/EAD/AP NOA1: 09-14-07

AOS approved: 11-19-07

green card received: 11-26-07

lifting of conditions filed: 10-29-09

NOA received: 11-09-09

lifting of conditions approved: 12-11-09

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.