Leeander n Stacee

Does this seem ok to you?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

So am expecting my visa in a few days so no worried there. Just wanted to know something concerning my trip. I am thinking of leaving April 12th or at least that week, and ten our wedding is on July 3rd.

That is short of 90 days, but in those 90 days is it you only need to get married? Or do you need to leave a bit of a gap for filing paperwork and so on?

The Visa should be issued with a 6-month validity period (you'll have 6-months from the issued date to travel to the US). The 90-day clock starts once you enter the US (90-days to get married).

So you wouldn't want to come to the US sooner than 04/04 since your big day is July 3.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just to add, you also want to make sure the paper work gets filed before the 90 days is up so you don't go out of status. Perhaps you should get all the paper work finished before you marry so all you need to do is mail it off once you get married

Good luck.

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Just to add, you also want to make sure the paper work gets filed before the 90 days is up so you don't go out of status. Perhaps you should get all the paper work finished before you marry so all you need to do is mail it off once you get married

Good luck.

This information is so NOT TRUE. There is no requirement to file the paperwork before the 90 days is up on the I-94 you'll be given upon arrival. It IS SUGGESTED that you file within 90 days but there is no requirement. You CAN get all the paperwork ready before the mariage and then once you have a certified copy of the marriage certificate (that's the document they want to see), you can add that and mail the package off the day that it arrives.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

This information is so NOT TRUE. There is no requirement to file the paperwork before the 90 days is up on the I-94 you'll be given upon arrival. It IS SUGGESTED that you file within 90 days but there is no requirement. You CAN get all the paperwork ready before the mariage and then once you have a certified copy of the marriage certificate (that's the document they want to see), you can add that and mail the package off the day that it arrives.

Yes - it is true, in a way. The requirement is not part of the K-1 visa (or any visa for that matter), it's a requirement of the I-94 issued.

Your status is controlled by the I-94. If you go out of status, you could have issues with ICE, and you are accruing 'unlawful presence' . Go 180+ days and you are looking at a ban if you leave (even if the AOS is in process and your granted an AP).

Only the AOS stops you from getting this 'unlawful presence' and getting days counted against you. (stops the clock so to speak)

Being out of status will not prevent you from doing the AOS however - but it's best to get it done prior to the I-94 expiring (or as close as you can).

(ICE issues, medical may expire (requiring you to do the whole medical again), the off chance that the AOS is denied, and the immigrant has to return home to process, and if they have 180+ 'unlawful presence' , ban time...*)

All spelled out here.

(*disclaimer - most people will likely have no issues like I have described above, but are you willing to take the chance? It's basically a risk vs rewards question - there are posts here on this forum where all things like this has happened.)

My Advice is usually based on "Worst Case Scenario" and what is written in the rules/laws/instructions. That is the way I roll... -Protect your Status - file before your I-94 expires.

WARNING: Phrases in this post may sound meaner than they were intended to be. Read the Adjudicator's Field Manual from USCIS

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Or later. Clearly if you have 90 days to marry, you can marry on day 90 and still adjust status. Perhaps the area of disagreement is the use of the word "should". In today's communication people often simply mean I want, I would, it's good etc. when using that word. There is no firm required date by which AOS must be filed. Most people WANT to file ASAP, so they are free to travel and work etc. Others wait, sometimes to their great disappointment.

I advise people to apply to adjust status as soon as practical after their marriage. Often, paying the associated fees is not practical right away after paying for weddings and honeymoons.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

There were some other things that Nik and I took into consideration when choosing his POE vs. wedding dates - He could get on my health insurance here on the day we got married, but not before. Sometimes there is travel insurance available, but their terms are different if you are just visiting or if you are immigrating. For immigrants, some plans barely cover two weeks' worth.

This whole health insurance -> vaccinations -> transcription -> AOS filing issue lead us to take several weeks between marriage and being ready to file for AOS. And that's the easy part. What about in case of accidents - etc.

Filing before our I-94 was a priority for us - for reasons like what Bobby+Umit posts.

Edited by Nik+Heather

K-1:

January 28, 2009: NOA1

June 4, 2009: Interview - APPROVED!!!

October 11, 2009: Wedding

AOS:

December 23, 2009: NOA1!

January 22, 2010: Bogus RFE corrected through congressional inquiry "EAD waiting on biometrics only" Read about it here.

March 15, 2010: AOS interview - RFE for I-693 vaccination supplement - CS signed part 6!

March 27, 2010: Green Card recieved

ROC:

March 1, 2012: Mailed ROC package

March 7, 2012: Tracking says "notice left"...after a phone call to post office.

More detailed time line in profile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

As long as you are married before the 90 days are up, then you are fine. Personally, I didn't feel comfortable leaving getting married until right by the deadline, just because we didn't want to AOS after my I-94 expired. We also knew that the LA County Clerk took it's time issuing marriage certificates. We got married three weeks after I entered the US, and filed our AOS three weeks after the wedding. But, when you marry during the 90 days and when you AOS is up to each couple, as there are extenuating circumstances.

Married February 20, 2010

Permanent Resident April 22, 2010

Naturalized Citizen January 14, 2014

Proud Dual Citizen of Australia and the USA!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Congrats on getting the visa and best wishes for a beautiful wedding.

We applied for AOS two days after our wedding because I had all the paperwork completed before our wedding, and then just went to the Court House to get our marriage certificate, put it in the envelope and mailed it off.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Thankyou everyone i get the full picture now adding everyones comments up haha

well basically i can't take another day in this country without her so i am going to go on the date i suggested, that week of april and we can prove we get married in 90 days and i am def going to have paperwork ready before the marriage so will file as soon as after so then its done.

Thanks again

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.