Yodrak

Divorce Forum ?

83 posts in this topic

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might as well be a forum called 'What to do When Things Go Bad' and then all that garbage can go together where it doesn't scare people who don't want to see it, but the people who do can know that they're not alone.

This one is a great idea. Even when ####### was hitting the wall, my accounts were being drained ,I still had those stars in my eyes. However, it took finding written evidence of his plans to wake me up. Now the questions is. What steps to take when things go bad?

The longer it takes to introduce yourself the less you've actually accomplished

Filed: Timeline

As someone going through a divorce I think some forum of some kind is warrented. I am kind of worried though that it is going to end up being a free for all when really it should stay on the issues at hand. If people are going through the early stages of divorce (before the AOS interview) then things should be pretty simple, even at the AOS interview things can be changed. It is after this when things between couples start to change, so a balance is needed, maybe finding out all the Facts that are needed. Also the difficulty is that different states have different divorce laws, so the main advice is to seek an immagration lawyer, this is sometimes difficult when you have spent all your money on the immagration process and if you are still at the AOS stage then maybe you have not got your EAD yet, with only one person working this can also prove to be an option that gets thrown out of the window.

Janice

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I am upgrading a few things on the board. If the demand for this forum remains I will probably add something in the next few weeks :).

I think it's a great idea - especially as this board gets older, more members, and - sadly - more relationships don't work out.

In contrast, I think it would be nice to have a forum for married couples to share stories, where couples could seek advice..

Bill

I-129f Journey:

2006-07-17 I-129F sent to CSC

2006-07-24 NOA1 (received)

2006-10-05 RFE (received)

2006-10-06 RFE (returned to CSC)

2006-10-23 NOA2

2007-01-29 Visa Approved!

2007-02-17 Ceremony in Thailand

2007-02-21 POE LAX - Fiance and her daughter enter the USA together, Easy-Peasy!

2007-03-05 Wedding in USA

AOS Journey:

2007-06-07 AOS for spouse and daughter sent

2007-06-16 NOA's arrive, (issued on the 13th)

2007-07-05 Biometrics

2007-07-13 Received RFE (Mailed on July 3rd)

2007-08-06 Returned RFE

2007-10-16 Interview date

2007-10-27 Green Cards Received!

ROC (I-751) Journey:

2009-07-24 Joint I-751 for spouse and daughter sent

2009-08-03 Received NOA1 dated 7/27/09

2009-08-03 Received Receipt and one year extension for wife

2009-08-03 Received "Verification Of Incusion Of A Dependent" for step-daughter

2009-08-27 Biometrics

2009-11-13 Green Cards Received

Citizenship Journey:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Good idea. Count me in.

Feb. 2005 - Met in Brazil the first time

May. 2005 - Visited Brazil

Aug. 2005 - Visited Brazil

10/30/05 - Mailed I129F

11/09/05 - NOA1

Nov. 2005 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/02/06 - NOA2

Feb. 2006 - Visited my fiance in Brazil

02/24/06 - Packet received at NVC

03/20/06 - Fiance received packet 3 from consulate

04/26/06 - Fiance received appointment letter

05/09/06 - I flew to Rio

5/10/06 - Met fiance at airport

5/11/06 - Medical exam in Rio

05/12/06 - Interview in Rio - APPROVED!!!!

05/17/06 - Received visa in Rio

07/20/06 - POE Miami

10/16/06 - Married!!!!

01/10/07 - Sent AOS and EAD application

01/17/07 - NOA - Receipt

02/02/07 - Biometric appointment

02/09/07 - NOA - Transfer of case to California center

03/22/07 - EAD approved

05/10/07 - AOS approved!!!!

Eulalia and Bill

Bill,

Moving Here and Your New Life in America?

Yodrak

I am upgrading a few things on the board. If the demand for this forum remains I will probably add something in the next few weeks :) .

I think it's a great idea - especially as this board gets older, more members, and - sadly - more relationships don't work out.

In contrast, I think it would be nice to have a forum for married couples to share stories, where couples could seek advice..

Bill

Edited by Yodrak

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

How is demand going for this? Ok it looks like. If so where would I create this forum? I hesitate to make it a forum on the Main Page as it carries a somewhat pessimistic message. The content I am sure will be valuable however I am not certain on the location if we do create it...

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
How is demand going for this? Ok it looks like. If so where would I create this forum? I hesitate to make it a forum on the Main Page as it carries a somewhat pessimistic message. The content I am sure will be valuable however I am not certain on the location if we do create it...

General Immigration Discussion

Below Waivers Forum

That helps send the message that this forum is for the discussion of the *immigration implications* of divorce, not the place for marital counseling.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Captain Ewok,

I like meauxna's suggestion. The General Immigration section is where most of the questions get posted now, in the AOS and Removal of Conditions forums.

Yodrak

General Immigration Discussion

Below Waivers Forum

That helps send the message that this forum is for the discussion of the *immigration implications* of divorce, not the place for marital counseling.

Timeline

So, who is going to write up the FAQ and ferret out the right links?

Not volunteering myself, but I've got someone in mind <koffDMkoff>.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

How about somewhere in the General Discussion Area near the Moving Here and Your New Life In America forum ?

mo,

Gotta tickle? ;)

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline
mo,

Gotta tickle? ;)

<g>

Gotta cough drop? :)

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

I ended a 33 year marriage.... I word of advise......WORK IT OUT! No matter who wants it..it hurts both sides..

The light at the end of my tunnel..is my Veronica.,.. and she has shown me how real women act..and how much they show their love...

SO I agree... We need a Forum..based on Marriage ups and Downs... including calling it quits....

mo,

Gotta tickle? ;)

<g>

Gotta cough drop? :)

9/14 2006 I-129F Sent Next day Air

9/15 Recieved and signed for by "Freeman" at NSC

9/19 NOA1 CSC Recieved

9/25 Notice date Check cashed 9/25

9/28 I Recieved NOA1(I-797C) in the mail

12/5 NOA2 12/6 but Approved on 12/5 touch

12/9 Received NOA2(I-797) by snail mail

12/15 NVC has received it..Case # issued...

12/19 NVC shipped to Romania

12/22 Romanian Embassy has received an email from NVC that my Petition is on it's way...

12/29 Packet 3 sent to Veronica

1/12 2007 Packet 3 received Dang Holidays..

1/22 Sending all paperwork(I-134,Bank/Employer letters etc..,)..to Veronica per DHL, 3.5lbs...$144 WOW!

1/25 Recieved notice that She needs to pick up my packet in Chisinau..

1/26 Sending Back Packet 3

2/16 Transit Visa to go to Romania for the Interview approved..

2/20 Leaves for Bucharest overnight drive by bus...

2/21 Medical

2/22 Interview !!!! APPROVED !!!!!

3/9 2007 Flight to me....

4/7 2007 Married,,,

AOS

7/27 Sent I-485, I-864, I-765

7/30 Chicago Recieved I-485,I-765

Veronica is pregant....Due 4/17/08

9/1 Recieved NOA Bio appointment letter

9/8 Recieved NOA1's for both I-485 and I-765

9/18 Bio appointment

Received Green Card.. Nov 2007

Djuliann came 4/25/2008

I-751 Lifting Of Conditions

9/8/2009 Sent I-751

Received NOA 9/21 NOA Receipt Date 9/10/2009

9/24 received Bio letter Dated 9/18

10/9 Bio Appointment

10/23 Received Permanent Resident Card

N-400 2012

Filed for citizenship sent 2/21/2012

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Like Chris (Chris-N-Veronica) I was married for 28 years. I do not totally agree with "stay and work it out" idea. This is okay to a point. I spend WAY TOO LONG "staying and trying to work it out", about 10 years of counseling, both individual and maritial together with my wife. I did learn a lot, but I also learned if there are no significant positive results of "staying and working it out" within about 18 months to two years, get out! It will not get better. An after I met my Irina from Russia, I really found out what love from a women is really like! ! ! ! I now wish, I had not spent more than 12 months "staying and trying to work it out". After receiveing the love and affection from Irina, it became painfully obviously that my ex-wife was very dysfunctional and there was never any hope of change that would make my life fulfilled and happy.

But back to the point of this thread...I am fully in favor of a Immigration related divorce forum.

I think it is healthy and educational, even for newbies, paticularly for newbies, to see what the reality can be and should be fully aware of the consequenses of making a poor choice or being defrauded, which can easily be done int the starry-eyed stage of a relationship. And, in my great state of South Carolina, the divorce laws are so terrible (worst in the USA), that you must understand what you may be in for in the event that things do not turn out for the best. Paticularly in immigration related marriage, most are coming from a very different culture and may not be able to adjust before wreaking havoc on the relationship. And I suspect that many are in my situation where I have everything to lose and she has everything to gain, if the marriage will fail. This is a big consideration for me to decide to get married.

So lets get this new forum started! ! !

Devereux