Yodrak

Divorce Forum ?

83 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Title of the forum? Suggestions?

To stay then in the context of this site, I would think of something like: Divorce and Immigration; or Divorce related to Immigration; Divorce as consequnce of Immigration.

CR-1, VT- Canada

I-130:

25 Aug 06 - Sent I-130 (a Friday)

28 Aug 06 - NOA1 & Certif. receipt returned ( a Monday) Day 1

29 Aug 06 - USCIS cashes check

30 Aug 06 - check cleared & 1ST TOUCH.

01 Sept 06 - NOA1 recvd by Mail

09 Sept 06 - 2ND TOUCH (a Saturday)

09 Mai 07 - NOA2 (2 e-mails)

Note: were told the long delay due to huge backlog and internal changes in VT

NVC :

04-June-07 - NVC generates DS-3032 & AOS bill

12-June-07 - AOS Bill payment sent/ alien receives DS-3032 form (by mail, dated 4th June)

13-June-07 - Alien sends back completed DS-3032 (by mail)/ rcvd 19th of June approx.

To mid July-07 - I-864 form sent completed and IV fee bill

19-July-07 NVC rcv I-864 form; mail signature rcvd.

22-Aug-07 Ds-230 with documents sent to NVC.

20-Sep - 07 Alien sends NVC Missing document. NVC receives it the 25th.

05-Oct - 07 NVC completed.

16-Jan - 08 Interview, 3 questions asked, visa approved same day, received 1week later approx.

Note: delay due to internal delay, missing document (not rfe) and self procrastination of understanding some abstract terms. C Post not at all reliable (delivery duration, delivery with signature (did not deliver personnaly), and delivery of interview letter rcvd after the interview).

In USA:

01-03-08 POE Entry in USA

...-03-08 2 Welcome in America letters and green card received.

"What I know is that I know nothing"

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about:

Immigration-Related Divorce Discussion

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
How about:

Immigration-Related Divorce Discussion

Jen

:thumbs:

Even better.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

So, any word on a divorce forum?

10/14/05 - married AbuS in the US lovehusband.gif

02/23/08 - Filed for removal of conditions.

Sometime in 2008 - Received 10 year GC. Almost done with USCIS for life inshaAllah! Huzzah!

12/07/08 - Adopted the fuzzy feline love of my life, my Squeaky baby th_catcrazy.gif

02/23/09 - Apply for citizenship

06/15/09 - Citizenship interview

07/15/09 - Citizenship ceremony. Alhamdulilah, the US now has another american muslim!

irhal.jpg

online rihla - on the path of the Beloved with a fat cat as a copilot

These comments, information and photos may not be reused, reposted, or republished anywhere without express written permission from UmmSqueakster.

still looks like it's needed!! :thumbs:

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Music___Lennon___Imagine_by_jjjean6.png

Faith: not wanting to know what is true.~Nietzsche~

“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”

~Winston Churchill~

text___just_be_animated_colour_by_j.gif

line_bar_12d.gifline_bar_12d.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I agree. A board that dealt with divorce, cancelling visas/petitions/AOS etc would be very helpful to some members. I'd also like to see a board for scams... I find them morbidly interesting.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My thoughts on a divorce forum here on VJ...well whether we all care to admit or not, divorce is reality some of us may face after enduring this painful excruciating process of visa wait times, documentation, etc.. There are a myriad of reasons that people have for deciding to get a divorce after the visa process because the reality is you really dont know someone or rather a person gets to see another side of his or her significant other once they live under the same roof and may discover somethings that in the end become irreconcilable differences... The divorce rate in America is hard to ignore whether they have gone thru the visa process or not....

I think that this site should include a divorce forum because its a reality that some of us may end up facing and a harsh reality that some of us are facing now but have no support system on here to turn to for advice.

Hopefully if this divorce forum is created those who do post their experieces will not face too much scrutiny by others on here who tend have a quick tongue and make snap judgments or encounter only those who like to ruffle people's feathers for their own pleasure because then it would just end up being a bullying forum which defeats the whole purpose of being a place to share information and experiences, and ends being an online forum which closely resembles a Jerry Springer episode!

Whether a person decides to participate in the divorce forum, if it should be created on here, is up to the individual...If this site wants to be inclusive and open to anyone who has gone thru the visa experience, then I am afraid to say that divorce ends up being a part of some people's visa experiences. It would definitely be an eye-opener for people who are about to embark on this visa journey and read and learn about all facets of the marriage, engagement, paired with the visa process which entails the good, the bad and the ugly... :innocent:

March 8, 2010 N-400 priority filing date

April 21, 2010-biometrics apppointment

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline
Captain Ewok,

How Does Separation/Divorce Affect Immigration

Yodrak

Title of the forum? Suggestions?

This thread brings up a lot of issues, answers some questions and presents new questions.

First, I know now why Yodrak never post smilies--sorry about the unhappy marriage. Been there done that etc. Hang in there Yodrak.

Second, for many people on VJ divorce is the happy beginning of the journey and not the unhappy end. That is they divorce their current spouse in order to marry a non-USC.

Third, there are extra issues when you are divorced--you must get divorce decrees and prior marriage certificates. Each state has different laws regarding divorce and marriage etc. And each country has laws regarding marriages in cases of divorces. Also the consulate staff seem to pay extra scrutiny during the interview in cases of divorce.

Fourth, what if the alien spouse is the one divorced--and what if there is children of a prior marriage--then there could be cases of adoption or signing away parental rights. I know some countries require a biological parent or prior spouse to sign permission for the alien spouse to immigrate to the USA with his/her children. So this could also be addressed in the cases of divorce with children and visa sponsorship.

Fifth, those that post in the divorce forum should earn broken purple hearts instead of the normal red ones.

Edited by Artegal

squsquard20060929_-8_HJ%20is.png

dev216brs__.png

In accordance with Georgia law, "The Georgia Security and Immigration Compliance Act," I am required to display the following in any and all languages that I may give immigration related advise:

'I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY LICENSED TO PRACTICE LAW AND MAY NOT GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ACCEPT FEES FOR LEGAL ADVICE.'

"NO SOY ABOGADO LICENCIADO PRACTICAR LEY Y NO PUEDO DOY ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO O ACEPTO LOS HONORARIOS PARA El ASESORAMIENTO JURÍDICO."

hillarymug-tn.jpghillarypin-rwbt.jpgballoons-tn.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Fifth, those that post in the divorce forum should earn broken purple hearts instead of the normal red ones.

:lol:

I agree about the issues with getting a divorce before being able to start your visa journey. I was divorced for a while before I even met my fiance BUT the hoops I had to jump thru to get my divorce decree notarized by all the proper figures and all that before I could use it in his country to marry him was unreal. (this was of course when the original plan was to marry over there--before that fell through.)

Hopefully I won't need the divorce forum ever in the future :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
still looks like it's needed!! :thumbs:
I suppose if the site was still member operated suggestions like these would be implemented a whole lot faster.

I really like this idea & JenT's title. And not all Divorce issues are sad, as someone said upthread, and it might be a good place for people to be able to ask around people who are divorced or whose K-1s didn't work out:

1) What do we need to do if either of us has been married before?

2) The relationship didn't work out before we married. What now?

3) We married and it turned out my foreign fiancé is defrauding me. What now?

4) We married and my U.S. spouse is abusive. What do I do?

5) We just had stars in our eyes. Now what?

It might be good, in the subtitle-description area, to indicate that all of those areas are covered. And I wouldn't worry about scaring off newbies; that's like not telling them the timeline so they don't get discouraged.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I think a forum based on difficulties occurring because of cultural differences would be real helpful.

Date I-129F Sent : 03/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA1: 04/03/2006

I-129F RFE(s) : 08/10/2006

I-129F RFE Reply(s) : 08/17/2006

Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved) : 08/18/2006

Date Package Received By NVC : 09/05/2006

Date Sent to Embassy: 09/18/2006 assigned number MNL2006743xxx

Date Embassy received 09/26/2006

letter-touched 10/17/2006

information on medical and interview 11/17/2006

Packet with Information 11/29/2006

Medical 1/12/2007

Interview 1/19/2007

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Unfortunally divorces happen, and people like us that marry people from other countries will most likely have issues regarding it. I think it's not very nice to have a divorce forum, but it's definitly needed, although I pray that I won't ever set my foot in there.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
I pray that I won't ever set my foot in there.
Statistically your odds are 50%. And why is administration still pull their feet on implementing this forum?